• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Maaan I hope indies are getting something out of being on Game Pass. When I think of a game like Dodgeball Academia it just makes me think of a starry eyed indie dev getting swindled.

I get the idea of "play free game, new game comes out, buy new game", I'm just wondering if that's how it's shaken out.
I'm sure it's an opposite situation where smaller developers feel like they've won the lottery by being asked to be on Gamepass. They're gonna get paid and they'll have a user base far larger than they'd ever have if they weren't selected for the service.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is also on other plattforms.
Yeah and I was going to buy it, now I'm not because it's on Game Pass and I'll play it there.

swindled lmao
you think microsoft is putting the games on gp without telling the devs or something

all the reports of indie games on gp so far have been overwhelmingly positive
We're talking about a billion dollar company interacting with a basement developer. I do, actually, think they'd try to put the game up without telling them if they thought they could get away with it.

I understand the logic, that the fee Microsoft paid might be more than any independent sales (almost certainly on Xbox, I'd guess, since the indie console scene is focused on Switch, or at least I think it is), but this feels to me like the kind of thing where a bad deal can get brokered as soon as can be.

Most indies appear to be happy with their Game Pass deals. I don't believe there's any evidence of someone being swindled. Anecdotally, I've heard that a Game Pass deal can basically cover the dev cost of a game.
Well, I hope that anecdote is correct because I'd love it if that were the case for indie devs.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is ReRoll 60fps, or does its PS2 trappings doom it to 30fps for the rest of time?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Lumines Remastered is an oldie but it's a goodie! Cool that it's coming to PC and Cloud GP too.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Sick. SOLITAIREEEEEEEEE. Wonder if it'll pick up my phone save from my misguided last year.

I need to play Ape Out. Why is it not on console :<

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Maaan I hope indies are getting something out of being on Game Pass. When I think of a game like Dodgeball Academia it just makes me think of a starry eyed indie dev getting swindled.

I get the idea of "play free game, new game comes out, buy new game", I'm just wondering if that's how it's shaken out.

Not this shit again.
The evil and cheap Microsoft Corporation vs. the dumb, naive indie dev.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've had Hades on Switch since near launch and while that is a great version of the game, I have been wanting to play it on a platform with a rock solid consistent 60fps (drops on Switch are NOT terribly frequent but they often do happen at times where I notice it and it's typically during heavier combat) and a much higher resolution, since the Switch can look a little fuzzy on my display when docked. I've had the Xbox Game Pass version preloaded for weeks now and I'm looking forward to it!

Katamari and Lumines are classic gets. I've played the originals of both but haven't played either of the remasters, so I'm looking forward to both of them.

Curse of the Dead Gods is something my brother was extremely into some time back so it's nice I'll be able to play that soon.

And I know FF has already lost FFIX on Game Pass but there goes VII as well. Going to be a bit sad to not have the classic FF games available as quick downloads anymore but if I ever want to play them, they all go on sale for pretty cheap and pretty often.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're talking about a billion dollar company interacting with a basement developer. I do, actually, think they'd try to put the game up without telling them if they thought they could get away with it.

I understand the logic, that the fee Microsoft paid might be more than any independent sales (almost certainly on Xbox, I'd guess, since the indie console scene is focused on Switch, or at least I think it is), but this feels to me like the kind of thing where a bad deal can get brokered as soon as can be.
this is ridiculous, sorry.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
but this feels to me like the kind of thing where a bad deal can get brokered as soon as can be.

plenty of other indie devs seem more than happy with it so i don't know where you totally justified fear is coming from

cant do much about your fanfic about microsoft adding games with no compensation just for shits and giggles though

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Wow Art of Rally. Thats the big news here folks (the launch date on GP that is)

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

A completely nonsense, BS take.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
That's a solid ass list coming off of the insane end of July GP releases.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Frequently games that are on Gamepass PC still sell well on Steam, and that's like, the same platform, it isn't even like "oh, I will buy this on Switch because I prefer portable" there's barely any difference usually and many of the games still do well just on PC alone.

The Ascent is the number 3 seller on Steam right now.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not this shit again.
The evil and cheap Microsoft Corporation vs. the dumb, naive indie dev.

this is ridiculous, sorry.

plenty of other indie devs seem more than happy with it so i don't know where you totally justified fear is coming from

cant do much about your fanfic about microsoft adding games with no compensation just for shits and giggles though

A completely nonsense, BS take.

See I liked the posts that were "oh well interviews with some indie devs show this is actually a really good deal for them that can in some cases straight up cover the costs of their games" 'cause like, at least that's informative. At least that's responding to what I said with an actual answer instead of "stop being mean to my favourite billion dollar game company."

Frequently games that are on Gamepass PC still sell well on Steam, and that's like, the same platform, it isn't even like "oh, I will buy this on Switch because I prefer portable" there's barely any difference usually and many of the games still do well just on PC alone.

The Ascent is the number 3 seller on Steam right now.
Like Christ how hard is it for the rest of y'all to go "here's an example of Game Pass as a total positive for an indie" like this guy did here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah and I was going to buy it, now I'm not because it's on Game Pass and I'll play it there.

Well, I hope that anecdote is correct because I'd love it if that were the case for indie devs.
We've had reports from indie devs who couldn't believe the figure quoted to them from Microsoft because it was far beyond what they would have imagined.

If it wasn't favourable to them, they'd never agree to it.

And yes, it absolutely is not possible that any of these services can just offer a game they do not own without an agreement with the owner. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
See I liked the posts that were "oh well interviews with some indie devs show this is actually a really good deal for them that can in some cases straight up cover the costs of their games" 'cause like, at least that's informative. At least that's responding to what I said with an actual answer instead of "stop being mean to my favourite billion dollar game company."

You know these indie stories exist and yet you post your complete BS "well microsoft would steal games if they could" and "bad deals could happen i swear!" with no evidence and everyone else is being wrong

sure jan

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

If by swindled you mean "paid up front and provided development help", then yes that's exactly what happened :D

Most of the Day 1 games seem to come with development assistance, which is also helpful. And Game Pass is marketing for this game - which means that people see it more, hear about it more, and generally/potentially buy it more, including on other platforms. But seriously, I think people really underestimate how helpful mitigating some of the RISK of indie development can be. Knowing that your game, which you've put a lot - way TOO MUCH - time and your own money into, will recoup at LEAST a known amount before you even launch has to be a big weight off. This is the big benefit, and even if it may bite you if you end up being a huge unexpected runaway success, it's probably still worthwhile overall.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Time to finally play Hades and finally re-play Skate.

Great month for me, especially with Psychonauts coming too.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Like Christ how hard is it for the rest of y'all to go "here's an example of Game Pass as a total positive for an indie" like this guy did here.
Ok so you want civility …
At least that's responding to what I said with an actual answer instead of "stop being mean to my favourite billion dollar game company."
but it's all good if you're the one hurling shit around the thread. Ok lol

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
August is a feast month with the back half like 12 Minutes and Psychonauts and the Codemaster's games coming to EA Play. Plus who knows what else in the second wave of GP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's fair, but when you actually bring up arguments like the devs are being swindled or MS would put the games on GP without the devs knowing you can's really expect serious replies.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Lol, what?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PLAY KATAMARI and you will smile and love the cosmos, DO IT!! ROLL INTO THE UNIVERSE FRIEND!

it cures all forms of blues. #facts

Also, Starmancer? Fucking awesome.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020

Why not do some research before posting uneducated, uninformative assumptions?

Oct 28, 2020
I hadn't heard of Dodgeball Academia but it looks fun. I'll try 7 of these, good half month for me. Excited for Psychonauts and 12 Minutes in the second half (if I'm not too addicted to Hades to try them)

Oct 27, 2017
Quite the month for anyone wants a rally game. Art of Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0 are both incredible rally experiences, and WRC10 is out at the end of the month (to buy, not on GP)

Art of Rally is seriously good if anyone is on the fence. It's a way better actual rally experience than you'd assume just from its rather arty/cutesy art style.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Maybe take half a minute to google how indie devs feel about the service before coming here and claiming they're being swindled.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Time for me to finally play Hades. After playing Returnal and Death's Door so close together, I'm ready for more challenge.