• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Does using a "sequel" chip (very technical language I'm using here) allow for easy backward compatibility?

I want nothing more than for Nintendo to start facilitating a persistent library as all other vendors do.

People worry about Nintendo and backwards compatibility, but I don't see any problems with that. Switch 2 will definitely be able to play Switch games, and as long as Nintendo continues to use ARM cores and Nvidia GPUs, I don't see why compatibility would break or be cut off.

I mean, where else would Nintendo go at this point? x86 is completely out of the question. AMD doesn't have a GPU solution that would force Nintendo to make such a drastic transition. Nintendo seems locked into Nvidia's SoC designs for a very long time - which means our Switch library should be playbale on future systems well past 2030. Any system after 2030 would probably be more than powerful enough to emulate all of our Switch games anyway assuming there was ever a compatibility issue.

jao0411

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Hope the partnership between Nintendo and NVIDIA never sour. DLSS and RT in my little Switch 2.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to imagine a Nintendo console having that kind of power…but fuck I'd be super excited if we end up with a souped up, handheld PS4. But yeah I just don't see Nintendo putting out a $500 machine. Even $400 would seem pretty extreme for them but this sounds like it wouldn't be cheap!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in how this will compare to a Steam Deck, both in size and in performance. I expect smaller and faster so this thing is gonna be quite a workhorse.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Please Nintendo, I need a (backwards compatible) Switch 2 so badly

Not that this confirms anything but, when asked about hardware, the president of Nintendo always re-iterates their focus with the next hardware transition:
  1. They don't want to start over
  2. They want to make sure that they're able to maintain the Switch userbase of 100+ million
  3. They want to ensure that the transition to the next hardware is as smooth as possible (specifically mentions avoiding past mistakes)
This screams BC to me, but you never know

Source:
www.videogameschronicle.com

Nintendo says the transition to its next console is ‘a major focus for us’ | VGC

The company wants to alleviate the risk of resetting its userbase…

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait really? I thought it was ~PS4 Pro performance with DLSS? It hitting near PS4 Pro performance with no DLSS seems wild to me.
I try to keep expectations in check. 1536 cores is quite a bit and it's a newer generation. there are some bottlenecks though, like memory bandwidth and power limits.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Not that this confirms anything but, when asked about hardware, the president of Nintendo always re-iterates their focus with the next hardware transition:
  1. They don't want to start over
  2. They want to make sure that they're able to maintain the Switch userbase of 100+ million
  3. They want to ensure that the transition to the next hardware is as smooth as possible (specifically mentions avoiding past mistakes)
This screams BC to me, but you never know

Source:
www.videogameschronicle.com

Nintendo says the transition to its next console is ‘a major focus for us’ | VGC

The company wants to alleviate the risk of resetting its userbase…
Sounds promising. Also sounds like they plan to continue supporting the original Switch, so this will be more like a PS4/PS4 Pro situation.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Just imagining Nintendo games on the same level visually in technical level with games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon, God of War, etc etc is already making my mouth drool, hahaha.
Even with good hardware I'd say the odds of Nintendo going for realistic artstyles on their games is very slim. The games are gonna look fantastic though.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
More importantly they need an actual online service platform to go with this power. I'm talking parties on the system, achievements, social tools, etc.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Basically, it's Switch 2. No, wait, Switch Pro. No, no Switch lite OLED

I change my mind, my sources misheard

But there IS a Switch successor being developed! For sure! Confirmed!

/s obviously

I mean, of course there is a Switch successor being developed. I get not wanting to buy into leaks and whatnot. But, thinking a Switch follow up isn't well into development by now would be fucking insane. It could still be a couple of years away and it would still be in development.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Even with good hardware I'd say the odds of Nintendo going for realistic artstyles on their games is very slim. The games are gonna look fantastic though.

Oh yeah not saying that Nintendo gonna pursue realistic graphics for their games, I just meant to say it's exciting to see their games on their hardware that is capable of handling such games technically speaking. Stuff like Zelda, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade......... *droll*

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As much money as Nintendo has made this generation, I think they still feel like they missed out on some multiplat opportunities. If this is accurate (and we have no reason to doubt it) they're really going for it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah not saying that Nintendo gonna pursue realistic graphics for their games, I just meant to say it's exciting to see their games on their hardware that is capable of handling such games technically speaking. Stuff like Zelda, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade......... *droll*
nearly done with xenoblade 3, a lot of these areas would look amazing if there was a proper shadow-casting sun

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Dream machine tbh, especially with Backward Compatibility. ESPECIALLY especially if it can boost the performance on those old titles… so many switch titles I'd kill to see running at 60fps (emulation aside)

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Isn't the SteamDeck roughly at PS4 level? No way the Switch 2 is that strong then.
Not really. It's PS4 level by resolution. So, it runs games the PS4 runs at 1080p at 720p/PS4 performance, more or less. So definitely weaker than a PS4. I imagine Switch 2 is closer to Xbox One or slightly worse in handheld. Docked, with DLSS using Ultra Performance (720p->4K) probably closer to PS4 Pro.

Just my guesses.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry... I'm still stung by the Nintendo Revolution build up. Then after a few more non-powerful systems (in comparison to the competition).. I just can't get my hopes up that the final version will match what is hinted in the OP.

I think it will come close though, so that's exciting.