• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would look into The Man in High Castle and Bosch.

Edit: also supposedly The Handmaid's Tale is really good, I'm yet to check it personally
You might be thinking of The Handmaiden. The Handmaid's Tale is the adaptation of the Margaret Atwood story on Hulu, The Handmaiden is the South Korean movie about life under Japanese colonial rule on Amazon.
The triple-whammy of Bright, Cloverfield, and Mute is definitely a bad look for Netflix. But let's not forgot that they just put out Mudbound, which is considered one of the best films of last year. Gerald's Game and Okja are both fantastic and relatively recent too. Generally though, I do agree that Amazon reigns supreme in the film side of things. I prefer Amazon's release model too. Would've been nice to at least have the option of seeing Okja in a theatre.
Yeah, that trio looks pretty bad to me. I guess there's a recency bias with those three movies having been released around the same time and in more recent memory, but still. Eeesh.

I definitely like Amazon's recent pickups more, and like you said, the theatrical releases are pretty cool.

Hopefully Netflix does justice to The Witcher anyhow.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Ye, books only.

Edit: Also is there some reason why people assume this series idea wasn't shopped around? Maybe those HBO's and Amazon's gave it a pass?

Better get started on the books then. With my current reading back log I should get them finished by the time the series is out.... hopefully! My only experience with the Witcher is the games, so I'm hoping the books are good.

In regards to the idea being shopped around, I'm not sure how it worked. I guess Pan Sapkowski held the rights and maybe Netflix approached him with the idea? HBO have GoT as their big budget fantasy series and Amazon are soon to have their Lord of the Rings/Middle-Earth series in production, so I could understand why both of them would pass on it if it was offered.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait I thought the serie was about the first two books that were short stories, 50% of these characters are wayyy later in the story.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Roach is the best HORSE
(Honorable Obligatory Rideable Sidekick Ever)

Netflix, stay close to the sauce! You have a 200+ hour video game franchise at your disposal for reference. Don't fuck it up!

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Better get started on the books then. With my current reading back log I should get them finished by the time the series is out.... hopefully! My only experience with the Witcher is the games, so I'm hoping the books are good.

In regards to the idea being shopped around, I'm not sure how it worked. I guess Pan Sapkowski held the rights and maybe Netflix approached him with the idea? HBO have GoT as their big budget fantasy series and Amazon are soon to have their Lord of the Rings/Middle-Earth series in production, so I could understand why both of them would pass on it if it was offered.
HBO also has Westworld right? Not fantasy, but still a big budget show.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I was hoping that the first series would be based on Last Wish then expanding into everything else in further seasons. I really hope this is good because the books and games are amazing.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is fantastic, and probably their best series now.

As far as films: The Big Sick, The Handmaiden, The Salesman, Manchester By The Sea.

I would look into The Man in High Castle and Bosch.

Edit: also supposedly The Handmaid's Tale is really good, I'm yet to check it personally

Man in the High Castle is pretty good. And I liked The Tick a lot :)

Edit: Also heard good things about Sneaky Pete, Bosch, Patriot and Goliath but havent seen those myself. Sneaky Pete sounds like the best of the bunch.

That's fair I guess. Maybe Amazon appeals to my tastes more in terms of series.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is probably the hit show right now from them.

They have other shows with pretty good reception like Goliath, The Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle, Red Oaks, Transparent and a few others.

The movies they've picked up for distribution have been where they shine pretty well though. Manchester by the Sea, The Salesman, The Big Sick, The Lost City of Z, The Handmaiden, Last Flag Flying and Paterson come to mind.

Maybe the Cloverfield mess is coloring my perception of the difference between them, but Amazon seems to have had the smarts to pick up some pretty good stuff.

Okay cool I'll check those out as I just got Prime for some deliveries. Mozart in the Jungle was brilliant when Monica Bellucci was on screen but otherwise just good not great for me. Tend to prefer to watch movies on blu-ray so it's mainly about the series for me. Good tip on Handmaiden though as I did not know Park Chan-Wook made a new one and I love Korean cinema so I'll definitely get hold of the blu-ray for that.

triple

Banned for use of alt account
Nov 10, 2017
Their OG movies haven't been "good" (at least in terms of critical reception, though fan reception seems better), but every single Netflix series I've watched has been damn good IMO. I was worried about the Castlevania anime and they NAILED it.

Oh the same people are working on the Witcher?? Hype!

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
GERALT IS:

Not a nuanced or interesting character.
Basically he's a less racist Clint Eastwood.
giphy.gif

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't know much about her, but I've seen her tweets about it and she seems very passionate. Please make it amazing. Not passably good like some of their production pieces they started from scratch but actually amazing. The Witcher has potential to be GoT-lite.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I can't convince you that Geralt's an interesting character, because that's your opinion, but he has a lot of depth to his character if you manage to look past the detached, stoic persona he puts across.

imo you don't even need to look that hard if you play e.g. TW3, you get to know a guy when you spend 200 hours with him :D

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Sounds like it's based heavily on Blood of Elves. Isn't that the one with this specific party, if I recall correctly?

It's a good cast of characters, can't wait to see them fuck it up.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Eat it Triss fans, below Dandelion in the billing. Where she should be, nothing but it a bit part player.

#TeamYennefer
This is pretty petty on my part but as a Yen fan, funnest part of this show is definitely going to be seeing the backlash from people who played the game and thought Triss was Geralt's primary love interest.

dQ1lzDf.gif

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Could you give me an example?

Look up e.g. all scenes and interactions Geralt has with Ciri in TW3.

This is pretty petty on my part but as a Yen fan, funnest part of this show is definitely going to be seeing the backlash from people who played the game and thought Triss was Geralt's primary love interest.

If person has played full trilogy that person should know better, tbh. TW3 spells it all out.

Has Lauren mentioned if shes familiar with the games at all?

She knows about them, but afaik hasn't played them. Also for purposes of writing this series she will ignore their existence as series is all about books only.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
This is pretty petty on my part but as someone who never liked Triss, best part of this show is definitely going to be seeing the backlash from people who played the game and thought Triss was Geralt's primary love interest.

dQ1lzDf.gif

I don't know how they're going to handle this adaptation, but if they decide to strictly follow the novels, Triss never had a prominent role there as she had in games. If I remember correctly, she had a bigger role in Blood of Elves and after that she was mostly a background character. So yes, show may receive some backlash.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I don't know why people are thinking that the names she wrote means that the TV show is going to skip the short stories and is going with the novels from the start.. she just read all the Witcher books, then she wrote her descriptions of some of the most important characters in the Witcher books, probably just to show people who still don't believe in her writing skills how she sees some of them.. and then there's the most important reason - if wouldn't make a damn sense to start with the novels, when the short stories have many stories that introduced the main characters in the novels and people need to know the conections from the short stories for many of those characters (Emhyr - Ciri, for example)

People who only played the games and their main female character to be at Geralt's side is Triss, are probably going to be really shocked if the show is going to be true to the books, because Triss didn't had that many scenes in them.. the same, even more perhaps can be said about Zoltan..and Charles Dance as Emhyr? He has the voice, that's right but Emhyr in the books looks really different from Charles and he is more younger - in the books he is in his 40's

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Even as a Witcher fan, I have minimal confidence in Netflix fully doing the series the proper justice it deserves.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR has nothing to drop with this right? It might not be as good, but hopefully it is (at least decent).

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I don't know why people are thinking that the names she wrote means that the TV show is going to skip the short stories and is going with the novels from the start.. she just read all the Witcher books, then she wrote her descriptions of some of the most important characters in the Witcher books, probably just to show people who still don't believe in her writing skills how she sees some of them.. and then there's the most important reason - if wouldn't make a damn sense to start with the novels, when the short stories have many stories that introduced the main characters in the novels and people need to know the conections from the short stories for many of those characters (Emhyr - Ciri, for example)

People who only played the games and their main female character to be at Geralt's side is Triss, are probably going to be really shocked if the show is going to be true to the books, because Triss didn't had that many scenes in them.. the same, even more perhaps can be said about Zoltan..and Charles Dance as Emhyr? He has the voice, that's right but Emhyr in the books looks really different from Charles and he is more younger - in the books he is in his 40's

I'm sure that they will adapt some of the short stories. A few of them are really important from narrative perspective and they just can't ignore them. I think it would be cool if they try to expand stories that were only mentioned like
fall of Cintra, Battle of Sodden Hill, events that happened with Ciri's parents, rise of Emhyr.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this. I was surprised just how much I liked Witcher 3. I need to get back on reading the books.

Ethan Hutn

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
SontD rwalre have high hopes for it since it's a Netflix series. Found most of their stuff to be average besides a select few. Hopefully they pump money into this.