Dec 2, 2017
A Conservative MP has been stabbed multiple times in an incident at his constituency surgery.

Sir David Amess, who represents Southend West in Essex, was attacked on Friday at Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea.

Sky News understands a man walked into his constituency surgery and stabbed him multiple times.

It is believed Mr Amess has been receiving treatment at the scene for his injuries.

Police are believed to be at the scene and the road surrounding the location has been closed off.

news.sky.com

Conservative MP Sir David Amess stabbed multiple times in incident at constituency surgery

Sir David Amess, who represents Southend West in Essex, was attacked on Friday at Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea. Sky News understands a man walked into his constituency surgery and stabbed him multiple times.

Geeze, i hope they're ok.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Even after Jo Cox was murdered by a terrorist, this is still totally shocking, which I guess is a good thing.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he pulls through.

But watch this make a far bigger impact un the media than the murder of Jo Cox.

The false balance the media were striking during the Brexit campaign really tied their hands when it came to discussing the fact that a remain MP had been murdered by a pro-Brexit terrorist using the same kinds of language as Farage.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I hope he pulls through.

But watch this make a far bigger impact un the media than the murder of Jo Cox.

Yeah, sadly stoking fear with lies so some right wing nut job decides one day to go and kill someone standing up for truth and compassion. Unforgivable what Boris, Farage, the right wing press did to wind people up until they inevitably explode.

Anyway, awful news, hope he pulls through. Having walk ins to talk to politicians is very much a good thing even if the results rarely come to fruition. Would be shame if that changed. Hope they catch the person.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope he isn't too badly injured, guess there's not much more to say until the guy is caught and we have a motive

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Terrible. Hope he makes it through. Direct access to MPs through these surgeries is a wonderful thing, would be an enormous shame if they were stopped.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sadly stoking fear with lies so some right wing nut job decides one day to go and kill someone standing up for truth and compassion. Unforgivable what Boris, Farage, the right wing press did to wind people up until they inevitably explode.
Isn't Amess the Brexiteer that stated Thatcher would be celebrating Brexit in heaven?

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please not do comparisons here? Jo cox being murdered was reported for days on end. No one covered it up to help Brexit.

fingers crossed the outcome here is much better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Awful. Hope he pulls though. He has been a big campaigner against knife crime and violence against women so wonder if that was the motive.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we can find out what happened and get some solid, reliable information soon. Obviously hope they pull through too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'll show him more compassion than he's shown for the gay community by hoping he has a smooth recovery and that he's back with his family soon. I hope the idiot that did this hasn't jeopardised people's future ability to speak to their MP's.

Oct 30, 2017
Luckily these incidents don't happen more often really. Hope he recovers quickly and really hope this doesn't happen again. Doesn't matter what party you represent, people are people.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
The false balance the media were striking during the Brexit campaign really tied their hands when it came to discussing the fact that a remain MP had been murdered by a pro-Brexit terrorist using the same kinds of language as Farage.
Its still infuriating, not only was an MP murdered, but because the terrorist was successful in his ultimate aim. Multiple remain MPs went on and off the record admitting they scaled back campaign efforts before the vote, and didn't challenge the deal as much as they wanted to afterwards. This is some banana republic shit.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I hope he pulls through. He might stand for everything I despise in this country but nobody deserves to be attacked in such a way especially when reaching out to their constituents.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
For people who don't know who David Amess is, he's most well known for being a massive homophobe and for the time he was tricked into filming a video warning about the dangers of a fake drug called "Cake"

Anyway, hope he recovers. Don't stab people y'all.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
The more riled up people become, the more likely these kinds of events are going to be repeated. No idea what motive the attacker had but there are a lot of crazy people out there at the minute.

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Having MPs that are accessible and and help their constituents cut through the faceless machine of state bureaucracy is one of the good parts of our democracy and anything that threatens it sucks.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
The more riled up people become, the more likely these kinds of events are going to be repeated. No idea what motive the attacker had but there are a lot of crazy people out there at the minute.

Yeah, it's worrying because it could be any number of extreme segments who exist in this country at present.

He is in extremely serious condition and had to be operated on at the scene. BBC.

Yeah, when I read "receiving treatment at the scene" I read that as being pretty serious. Hope he manages to pull through - certainly not how I want us to conduct politics even if we all have our disagreements.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I mean the guy was stabbed an hour ago. I'm not sure how you can say that.

Jo Cox's murder was appalling and was (rightfully) reported on for days and weeks in the British media.
Whilst true, we also had right wing voices repeatedly trying to downplay discussion of her death due to the left "politicising" it, instead of calling a spade a spade and acknowledging that their disgusting rhetoric around Brexit had led to a radicalised terrorist.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so the way I feel about this seems very different from the consensus. I'll leave it at that.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I've never heard of but I'm guessing he isn't the nicest person by a few posts.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so the way I feel about this seems very different from the consensus. I'll leave it at that.

I guess it depends on whether people think it's m a good or bad thing for elected representatives to be stabbed

I'd seriously hope that most people, regardless of whether they agree or disagree, don't think it's a good thing to happen or is healthy to how democracy is conducted

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Sky News/Essex Police reporting the person stabbed has died.

The man arrested at the scene has been detained on suspicion of murder.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he's passed away:

I won't speculate about motive or go on about the likely victims political views. This is all really troubling about what kind of environment we have in the UK right now. Yes, it could be an isolated incident, but with the death of Jo Cox being so recent in memory, I worry this is becoming a regular headline.