• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I wonder if that has to do with that alleged hole in EGS refund system. They refund your game and take game out of EGS library, but doesn't disable game and it has no licensing check so you can keep on playing after getting your cash back.

Allegedly tho as only time I saw talk about it was back with Borderlands 3 release.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Adding DRM and breaking support for Steam controller. However, you know... competition amirite??

This will only encourage the audience to pirate the game in its previous version even more. All this does is hurt the customers.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it wouldn't have broke controller support for one, and I can't remember extra DRM being added onto Steam games after release, but sure.

Didnt SE do this with FFX/X-2 earlier this year?

Yeah we were talking about this in the Control PC performance thread after the Photo update launched. This is why people absolutely despise EGS - everything was working perfectly prior to the patch. Breaking controller/ launcher support option is absolutely frustrating!

People despise EGS because the devs of a game on it released a wonky patch? Thats some next level thinking.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
"If you attempt to run the game executable directly, now before the main menu it pops up a message stating you must launch the game via the Epic Games Launcher and have a valid Epic Games User Account, which means the game also no longer works with the launcher in offline mode."

Did the person actually try running it in offline mode? Or just make a weird assumption based on a message while running the executable directly? I mean, I'm pretty sure the EGS launcher works offline.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like there was a mistake made here. Seems weird to add DRM and break support for a controller for an unknown reason.

official patch notes 1.04
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GENERAL
  • Photo Mode added. Accessible via Pause Menu
  • Bug fixes, combat and overall gameplay improvements

PERFORMANCE
  • Improved title stability on all platforms

UI
  • Fixed various issues with text appearance on the screen
  • Fixed multiple issues when incorrect or out of sync subtitles are showed for multiple languages

PROGRESSION
  • Fixed issue in Side Mission 5 when Remus did not spawn in NSC Energy Converters. (We found him.)
  • Fixed issue when Board Countermeasure: Kill enemies tracked kills incorrectly
  • Fixed multiple issues when Jesse could get stuck in the geometry
  • The game will no longer crash during the combat sequence in the Prime Candidate Program area

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So... no one stopped to think why you can play Control offline on PC when EGS doesn't even have offline mode?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
People despise EGS because the devs of a game on it released a wonky patch? Thats some next level thinking.

I think people will hate EGS regardless. But adding DRM after the fact, not allowing a simple Steam shortcut to launch the feature set to complement the game is super annoying. "Use Epic only to launch Epic timed exclusive !" That's no fun.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Well, it wouldn't have broke controller support for one, and I can't remember extra DRM being added onto Steam games after release, but sure.
www.resetera.com

Square Enix removes offline play capability of PC version of Final Fantasy X/X-2 [UP: It was a bug; update rolled back]

Couldn't find a thread on this. Also my first thread, go easy on me. Was thinking about picking this up, but then I stumbled onto the Steam reviews and found an issue that hasn't been widely reported on yet. On March 7th, 2019, Square Enix updated Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster to version...

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Why waste time adding HDR support when you could do something useful, amirite

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Square Enix removes offline play capability of PC version of Final Fantasy X/X-2 [UP: It was a bug; update rolled back]

Couldn't find a thread on this. Also my first thread, go easy on me. Was thinking about picking this up, but then I stumbled onto the Steam reviews and found an issue that hasn't been widely reported on yet. On March 7th, 2019, Square Enix updated Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster to version...
giphy.gif

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just look at the galaxy brains saying "competition" in this thread thinking that this somehow wouldn't be the case on a certain other spot that features games mostly with DRM for reasons.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Online only DRM is the devil. People with unreliable internet like me get fucked the hardest with BS like this.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
That's pretty epic
www.resetera.com

Wasn't that FFX patch bugged though?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that has to do with that alleged hole in EGS refund system. They refund your game and take game out of EGS library, but doesn't disable game and it has no licensing check so you can keep on playing after getting your cash back.

Allegedly tho as only time I saw talk about it was back with Borderlands 3 release.
Yes, this is the reason.
Some games on EGS are totally DRM free like this game was before this patch, allowing people to refund it and still play the game.

I think a similar loophole can be exploited for Ubisoft games wherein once you add the game to your uplay account, you ask Epic to refund your "EGS copy". That'll remove the game from EGS library but it's already added to your uplay library now and it's on Ubi at that point to disable that copy. And I suspect (I can't say this for certain) that the copy stays.

Oct 27, 2017
What is even the point of adding drm after the fact? If you're going to steal it, a version without drm is already out there and playable.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why they did that when the game is already past the point where it'd generate most if its revenue.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I went offline and yup can't open the game. I really hope this was on Epic's side and Remedy tries to remedy this issue.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
So I just had to try this. I downloaded the update, launched Epic Games Launcher via Steam and started Control. Steam Controller worked as it did before.

Now mind you this game has pretty shit support for it because simultaneous gamepad and mouse does not work so it has to be mapped to keyboard + mouse instead.

Likewise support for super ultrawide resolution is still non-existent and has to be patched in despite it working perfectly fine when it is.

I really like the game but at the same time wonder how they managed to fuck up things like these at Remedy.
Seems what the patch breaks is directly launching the game, avoiding Epic Games Launcher altogether.

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like there was a mistake made here. Seems weird to add DRM and break support for a controller for an unknown reason.

Breaking controller support is just side effect of adding DRM. (Edit: Well, the workaround that works, is to use controller for EGS, instead of Control. Works for most stuff too like Origin/uPlay games. It has some issues though.)
DRM was maybe added to prevent modding (recently there was mod to unlock PS4 exclusive content, which this patch also blocks)

"If you attempt to run the game executable directly, now before the main menu it pops up a message stating you must launch the game via the Epic Games Launcher and have a valid Epic Games User Account, which means the game also no longer works with the launcher in offline mode."

Did the person actually try running it in offline mode? Or just make a weird assumption based on a message while running the executable directly? I mean, I'm pretty sure the EGS launcher works offline.

Epic launcher doesn't have real offline mode. You can use it without account (offline or online), so second part effectively means "you can't play offline" with fancy words.

Oct 25, 2017
Controller support getting broken may be a side effect of the DRM and not intentional, maybe?

Anyway would be nice to know who wanted to push this. I kinda want to say 505 because they apparently don't give a fuck, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why even bother with the refund scheme if you can just torrent the game? Seems like a lot less work from a pirate's perspective 🤔