May 17, 2018
Finally had a chance to try it out today. unfortunately with my 1080ti on both the newest nvidia driver and the one before as soon as the into cut scene ended it CTD with rtx enabled. Didnt matter what resolution i had it set to. I'm
hoping this will be rectified in either a patch or a new nvidia driver. Hands up if you have 20 series gpu envy 🙋🏻‍♂️

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. Why are y'all with Pascal tis even trying to run rtx? Like just sell your ti and buy a 2070s at probably no cost.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a 2070super, maybe i can bruteforce 4k60 frame in some way with this game...

I don't really think so. I think you can get into gsync 40-60 range with pretty much all the lowest settings at 4k native.

Honestly I might be partial to that too. I like all the rtx stuff but running 1080p just looks so bad compared to 4k native that I'm used to.

I feel like 1080p and reconstruction works a lot better on console than PC too. Sitting a couple feet away from a monitor it just kind of looks like ass when you're used to 4k native.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
without RTX? Most likely. With RTX? No way.
I don't really think so. I think you can get into gsync 40-60 range with pretty much all the lowest settings at 4k native.

Honestly I might be partial to that too. I like all the rtx stuff but running 1080p just looks so bad compared to 4k native that I'm used to.

I feel like 1080p and reconstruction works a lot better on console than PC too. Sitting a couple feet away from a monitor it just kind of looks like ass when you're used to 4k native.
I'm gonna try some mix of low-medium-high without almost zero rtx.
Or maybe 1800p high with rtx on.
Dlss is pretty good in this game, maybe i will try even that...

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
try 1080p dlss'ed to 4k with Mid RTX. Those raytraced reflections are totally worth some compromises.
I'm not really a big fan of rtx effect tbh, and that's why in my hands even a 2070super became a sustainable 4k60 gpu for most games.

Don't know if i'm ready to sacrifice native 4k or 60 frame for rtx effects...
But thanks for any advice, i have still to learn how dlss work, it is like you decide a base resolution and then decide for a reconstructed resolution? Do i have to use geforce experience for dlss? I hate that thing...

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
On a 4k display, what's the general wisdom for IQ when running under native res, especially for a game like this? Should I be running it at render 1080p display 4k? Or render and display at 1440p. My display doesn't play nice with 1440p (I have to set it as a custom resolution), so I end up with an all or nothing proposition when it comes to using 1440p (I'm on a 1080, though I don't think it probably matters as to the question). My general experience this far is that the game looks pretty "soft" at 1440p (Everything at medium, no rtx), but perhaps that says more about the game than the resolution

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks I'll look into it
On a 4k display, what's the general wisdom for IQ when running under native res, especially for a game like this? Should I be running it at render 1080p display 4k? Or render and display at 1440p. My display doesn't play nice with 1440p (I have to set it as a custom resolution), so I end up with an all or nothing proposition when it comes to using 1440p (I'm on a 1080, though I don't think it probably matters as to the question). My general experience this far is that the game looks pretty "soft" at 1440p (Everything at medium, no rtx), but perhaps that says more about the game than the resolution

Yeah even at native 4k it's pretty soft looking even with trying to reduce blur and film grain, even using a sharpening filter.

It definitely looks best at native 4k but yeah then you're doing 4k30 basically with no rtx unless you have a 2080 ti.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not really a big fan of rtx effect tbh, and that's why in my hands even a 2070super became a sustainable 4k60 gpu for most games.

Don't know if i'm ready to sacrifice native 4k or 60 frame for rtx effects...
But thanks for any advice, i have still to learn how dlss work, it is like you decide a base resolution and then decide for a reconstructed resolution? Do i have to use geforce experience for dlss? I hate that thing...

No Geforce Experience needed for DLSS. It depends on the game on how to enable it. In the case of control you Enable DLSS, select a base resolution and a reconstructed resolution. For 4k you are offered 1080p and 1440p as a base resolution. With my 2080 Ti I can do 1080p dlss'ed to 4k with everything max and run at a stable 60 fps.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
No Geforce Experience needed for DLSS. It depends on the game on how to enable it. In the case of control you Enable DLSS, select a base resolution and a reconstructed resolution. For 4k you are offered 1080p and 1440p as a base resolution. With my 2080 Ti I can do 1080p dlss'ed to 4k with everything max and run at a stable 60 fps.
Good thanks.

Now i'm only waiting for the gpu from the shop.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Just picked up a 2080 Ti cause of this game. At 1440p, what's the best way to achieve a playable framerate (60+) with RTX features turned on? DLSS? Render the game sub-native and let it scale up?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just picked up a 2080 Ti cause of this game. At 1440p, what's the best way to achieve a playable framerate (60+) with RTX features turned on? DLSS? Render the game sub-native and let it scale up?
1440p DLSS with the 960 option (there's an option for 960 or 720 native rendering for 1440p), HBAO off, everything else on max including all RT features. Enjoy one of the best games ever!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As mentioned, DLSS enabled with the highest resolution scaling option possible. Set RTX to HIGH and start with everything else on medium. I'd recommend that you increase things as you see fit from there. Some features on High or Ultra provide little gain and lots of performance loss.

Locked 60 really isn't possible with RTX on and the IQ you want but you can get pretty close. There will be dips depending on what's happening and what weapons you're using.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
On a 2080ti, you wanna use DLSS with internal res set as close to 1080p as possible
1440p DLSS with the 960 option (there's an option for 960 or 720 native rendering for 1440p), HBAO off, everything else on max including all RT features. Enjoy one of the best games ever!
As mentioned, DLSS enabled with the highest resolution scaling option possible. Set RTX to HIGH and start with everything else on medium. Increase things as you see fit from there.
Thanks guys, appreciate it! Any RTX features not worth the performance penalty? Maybe ray traced debris?

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys, appreciate it! Any RTX features not worth the performance penalty? Maybe ray traced debris?
The Indirect Lighting option has a fairly high performance cost, and when it's on it adds a lot of weird grainy artifacts on the player character when near intense light sources. Many people (myself included) would recommend turning that off

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
To unlock the Bonus Content:

Credit to tet666 for the addresses!

Open the file Control_DX12.exe or Control_DX11.exe in HxD. Hit Ctrl-F to open the Find window and switch to the "Hex-Values" tab.

First, search for value 74 43 by hitting the "Search All" button. You should get a bunch of results in the search box at the bottom. Scroll through that results list until your find the line with the "Offset" value of 11D4D6. Double-click on that line to jump to it and then modify the 74 43 to 90 90.

Second, search for value 74 3D by hitting the "Search All" button. You should get a bunch of results in the search box at the bottom. Scroll through that results list until your find the line with the "Offset" value of 11D4DC. Double-click on that line to jump to it and then modify the 74 3D to 90 90.

Save the changes

I can't seem to find these values with the hex strings using either exe.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Indirect Lighting option has a fairly high performance cost, and when it's on it adds a lot of weird grainy artifacts on the player character when near intense light sources. Many people (myself included) would recommend turning that off

Ah, that's what that is!? Thanks for this. I was wondering what the hell was going on.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I played through the bonus PS exclusive mission yesterday and it was legitimately the worsted piece of content I've played in the game so far. I can't believe at some stage I considered getting the Pro version due to that.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
8700K / GTX 1080+ / 1440p 144hz

These are the settings, Nvidia's new sharpening filter does wonders no reason to render at native 1440p, I'm really happy with the FPS I'm getting and the game looks fantastic.

controlsettingsffkzh.jpg

Khalid030

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Getting massive FPS drops when in combat specifically when using the Launch ability near enemies, anyone else?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Setting texture quality to medium fixed all issues on desktop for me. I can now max everything out (volumetric lighting med, Ray-Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting OFF).. I'm running 1440p with DLSS well above 75 fps in most places, combat around 64 fps.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, my stable 2070 oc crashed this game within 5 minutes. Had to dial back core to just under 2000mhz stable boost and "only" running 15200mhz on the memory instead of 16000mhz as I usually do.
I'm 2100mhz stable in BF5. In Control and Quantum Break, I'm stable at 2025mhz. It's weird. I can keep my memory at +1400 though.

Some games just use more power and access more things at once, causing instability. Dont really know why, but that's the nice thing about Afterburner profiles I guess :)

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Hey all, apologies if this was answered, but I couldn't find it - I'm on an RTX 2070 Super with the latest drivers, and the ray tracing settings are not available for me. DLSS is able to be turned on, but Ray Tracing is just locked out. Does this have a known solution? Thanks.
Edit: Should mention I am on the DX12 version, too.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hey all, apologies if this was answered, but I couldn't find it - I'm on an RTX 2070 Super with the latest drivers, and the ray tracing settings are not available for me. DLSS is able to be turned on, but Ray Tracing is just locked out. Does this have a known solution? Thanks.
Edit: Should mention I am on the DX12 version, too.
what is your version of windows 10? I think you need 1903, possible it may work on 1809 as well but not earlier versions

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
what is your version of windows 10? I think you need 1903, possible it may work on 1809 as well but not earlier versions
My update screen was reporting 1903, but after doing some hunting, I ran winver and discovered that it's supposedly 1803. I grabbed the Windows 10 update assistant off the MS website and am running that now. If I get it successfully installed I'll report back with results!

Edit: yeah, looks like I was on 1803 despite the Windows Update screen telling me I was up to date. I'll report back.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
One quick question. I was just checking a few things in the NVidia Control Panel (I wanted to run Control with its v-sync rather than the one in the game) and I noticed the Multi-Frame Sampled AA was turned on, as if I had changed it. But I didn't. I went clicked the restore option and it went to back to what it should be. Is there any chance that option was turned on by default and I should turn it back on? I'm not even sure what it does by the way, but it seems to be some type of AA obviously.

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
To 2070 Super and 2080 Ti owners: what are the highest settings that you can do stable-ish 60 fps with when RT is set to Medium? Mainly res is what I'm interested in. Thinking of upgrading to one of these cards from a Vega 56 and looking for reasons to validate my purchase.

Also this is basically for everyone: what do you think, roughly when is the next generation of RT capable GPUs will come out? The current ones seems to be absolute monsters for rasterised games but they really do seem to struggle when RT comes into play.

Oct 28, 2017
Even with a 2080ti I'm really unhappy with the performance in this game. I don't even have RTX turned on because I actually like my framerate to be above 40.

theslb

Nov 15, 2017
So i have a mid end 1070 and only down one setting(volumetric lightning)and easy get 45fps low in very intense battles,mostly 60fps at fullhd and a 2080ti even at 4k is at 40fps without rtx?

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
I have the following :

I9 7940X
2080Ti
Ultrawide 3440x1440 - Gsync

I set everything to max, use DLSS to that render res which is 960p from the native 3440x1440 and I get average between 50-70 fps. Mind you that I use reshade which shaves about 5-6 fps.

It's quite playable like this and technically the game is beautiful. I like the evolution of RTX and where it's going. Surely it's not quite there yet but the next gen cards should see a huge bump in performance I think. We'll see.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To 2070 Super and 2080 Ti owners: what are the highest settings that you can do stable-ish 60 fps with when RT is set to Medium? Mainly res is what I'm interested in. Thinking of upgrading to one of these cards from a Vega 56 and looking for reasons to validate my purchase.

Also this is basically for everyone: what do you think, roughly when is the next generation of RT capable GPUs will come out? The current ones seems to be absolute monsters for rasterised games but they really do seem to struggle when RT comes into play.

I played this game on my 2080ti with DLSS and geforce experience sharpening @80%. I set volumentric lighting to medium and RT Indirect Diffuse Lighting "off", everything else maxed out @1080p DLSS on a 4K TV and locked 60fps. Maybe with RT settings to medium i can play @1440p DLSS and locked 60fps, but i have not tested that.

So i have a mid end 1070 and only down one setting(volumetric lightning)and easy get 45fps low in very intense battles,mostly 60fps at fullhd and a 2080ti even at 4k is at 40fps without rtx?

1080p to 4k is four times more demanding, so that numbers makes sense i guess.

Last edited:

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I played about 6 hours (or more) of this game without a single hitch and then I hit the quarry and now I can't play more than five minutes without it crashing, even when moving to other areas.

I've tried adjusting the settings, reinstalling, installing to different drives, updating and rolling back graphics drivers, and still nothing. I'm really frustrated because I just can't see what the issue would be.

I have a 2070 and an i9 and have never had any issues before now but both this and Remnant just constantly crash over and over

edit: nvm it's definitely something wrong with my PC, i just don't know *what*

Last edited:

FoxJenkins

Dec 12, 2017
I tried to read thru and see if someone had a similar setup to mine and what settings they were running but it's a lot in here.

Any preferred settings for a 2070 with an i7 8700

I'm using a dell 27 inch 144hz g-sync monitor.

GeForce optimization just made the game uglier to me. But it stutters if I just max it out.

Edit : I'm trying to run it at 2k maybe I should scale back to 1080p to get 60 frames?

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
So according to the DF video, if you have all RTX settings on you can safely disable SSAO and Global Reflections, correct?

I stood still at a few different spots and couldn't see a difference with them on vs off with all RTX on, so I'm assuming it's correct.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I'm on a 980Ti with a 9700K and I'm not really getting below 40-45 in battles if I turn down Volumetric Lighting.

Game still looks amazing with it turned down.

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
Setting texture quality to medium fixed all issues on desktop for me. I can now max everything out (volumetric lighting med, Ray-Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting OFF).. I'm running 1440p with DLSS well above 75 fps in most places, combat around 64 fps.

Thanks! Changing texture quality from ultra to high helped me a lot on my 2080.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I tried to read thru and see if someone had a similar setup to mine and what settings they were running but it's a lot in here.

Any preferred settings for a 2070 with an i7 8700

I'm using a dell 27 inch 144hz g-sync monitor.

GeForce optimization just made the game uglier to me. But it stutters if I just max it out.

Edit : I'm trying to run it at 2k maybe I should scale back to 1080p to get 60 frames?
I have a 2060S so we are similar. I would suggest running at 1080p and scaling up to 1440 and then following the DF recommendations, including disabling SSAO and Global Reflections (as mentioned right above). Stutters seem to happen no matter what. That memory program that Dictator posted ealier did seem to help me quite a bit.