senj

Nov 6, 2017
Have they patched out all the technical problems? Listening to the Spawncast for example made it seems like Control on consoles was a absolute mess
It's always been fine on the X, Pro, and PC. No patch is going to be able to fix the CPU on the base consoles. There's a lot going on in combat.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
Good choice. Really enjoyed the concept and the gameplay was excellent. Lots of great side content.

Really hoping for a sequel, I feel like if they could achieve something remarkable on next gen consoles.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoyed Control's lighting, atmosphere, and overall drug-trippy audio/visual presentation, check out Beyond The Black Rainbow (should still be free on Tubi).

X-Files and Twin Peaks are often referenced when talking about Control, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't a primary source of inspiration for Remedy.

Anyway, well deserved again. Hoping to squeeze in another playthrough over Christmas.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
I did really like Control, but I wouldn't have expected it to pick up GOTY from a big site like IGN. I have high hopes for the DLC if they take on some of the feedback given in reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded my cpu and it plays a lovely steady 60fps at 1080p now so I wanna get back into it more deeply. I really dig the look and the lore.

Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoyed Control's lighting, atmosphere, and overall drug-trippy audio/visual presentation, check out Beyond The Black Rainbow (should still be free on Tubi).

X-Files and Twin Peaks are often referenced when talking about Control, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't a primary source of inspiration for Remedy.

Anyway, well deserved again. Hoping to squeeze in another playthrough over Christmas.
Woah, thanks for this.

I'll have to check this out.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I like Control, but I don't think it's that great. It just feels like Remedy's been plodding along telling the same sorta stories, with the actual gameplay on the back burner. Though this is their best since MP for sure.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I felt the gameplay (along with overall design) was easily the best part of the game.

Yea, it's pretty straightforward stuff, but when things get chaotic, especially with that presentation that really sells how much impactful your powers are, it makes for a really satisfying gameplay loop.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Liked it but thought the difficulty curve was uneven. And the Ingame map sucks.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting pick. Got somewhere around...halfway through? Didn't really hold my interest. Neat tech demo, cool graphics and effects.

While I want to say Sekiro or Fire Emblem, games like Control are probably more accessible than a From game and less niche than an anime-strategy game.

Safe choice.

My pick, taking into account user accessibility, would be Jedi Fallen Order.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's always been fine on the X, Pro, and PC. No patch is going to be able to fix the CPU on the base consoles. There's a lot going on in combat.
It's not fine on Pro. It runs well in non combat scenes. There is a section in the game that does run poorly even without combat though.

There's a lot of major frame drops in larger battles. One boss in particular is a slideshow.

There needs to be more patches for optimization.

Game is amazing, but it's marred by a rather huge flaw. I really wish it came out on Steam. Will replay when it does, but the console experience is not good on any platform. Tolerable, sure.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i wish remedy the best, they are absolutely one of my favorite developers - but damn did control not resonate with me at all! i dont even think i'll be putting control in my top 10 for the year and it isnt because of 10 better quality games edging it out... give me alan wake, quantum break, or max payne ANY DAY.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing it since August but finally got the time to really dig in and it's a really good game. Feel like a lot of people slept on this game. My boss plays games and I told him about it today and he hadn't even heard of it.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
It's not fine on Pro. It runs well in non combat seens. There is a section in the game that does run poorly even without combat though.

There's a lot of major frame drops in larger battles. One boss in particular is a slideshow.

Game is amazing, but it's marred by a rather huge flaw. I really wish it came out on Steam. Will replay when it does, but the console experience is not good on any platform. Tolerable, sure.
I was going by DF, who only really mentioned sustained frame drops on the base consoles, but I'll take your word for it on the Pro.

Personally I played it on the X and disagree completely, in the sense that it was hell of a lot better than "tolerable" — I only experienced one notable amount of framedropping in a single, particularly messy fight in the postgame, in my entire play through. It was a great experience.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Of the nominees, Fire Emblem takes it for me no contest, but I like IGN's list overall. This is one of the more exciting picks they could have made, alongside Slay the Spire or Disco (either of which I'd have been pumped for).

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Personally I played it on the X and disagree completely, in the sense that it was hell of a lot better than "tolerable" — I only experienced one notable amount of framedropping in a single, particularly messy fight in the postgame, in my entire play through. It was a great experience.

I played it on X too. Combat is generally smooth unless there's a crazy amount of stuff going on and then yeah.. I saw stuttering. Only happened once or twice so it's very acceptable to me.

What is NOT acceptable is the three stutters/hiccups EVERY TIME you come out of the menu or pause screen. That shit was awful.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I'm so happy! Been bugging my friends to play this. This is easily my GOTY. It also helps that this is probably the closest we are gonna get to having a game based on the SCP site, which I am a fan of.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ill pick it up if it goes to Steam, but for the hell of it i had a random thought to see if the EGS store would react at all to this and sure enough its their top game with the IGN goty label.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I played it on X too. Combat is generally smooth unless there's a crazy amount of stuff going on and then yeah.. I saw stuttering. Only happened once or twice so it's very acceptable to me.

What is NOT acceptable is the three stutters/hiccups EVERY TIME you come out of the menu or pause screen. That shit was awful.
Now that you mention it I remember the Pause screen doing that, but I didn't pause that often so it was maybe a once a night "oh right this thing is laggy as hell to come out of" thing.

Don't remember it in the main gameplay menu screen, though. Maybe I'm just blind or maybe that got fixed in a patch. I just played it last month.

edit: it can't have been as laggy because the whole reason I didn't pause much was because I'd mostly remember to hit the menu to "pause" because the actual pause was so weirdly laggy

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Interesting pick. Got somewhere around...halfway through? Didn't really hold my interest. Neat tech demo, cool graphics and effects.

While I want to say Sekiro or Fire Emblem, games like Control are probably more accessible than a From game and less niche than an anime-strategy game.

Safe choice.

My pick, taking into account user accessibility, would be Jedi Fallen Order.
Imagine thinking choosing Control was "the safe choice" and a "neat tech demo". lol.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Now that you mention it I remember the Pause screen doing that, but I didn't pause that often so it was maybe a once a night "oh right this thing is laggy as hell to come out of" thing.

Don't remember it in the main gameplay menu screen, though. Maybe I'm just blind or maybe that got fixed in a patch. I just played it last month.

edit: it can't have been as laggy because the whole reason I didn't pause much was because I'd mostly remember to hit the menu to "pause" because the actual pause was so weirdly laggy

I finished it a few days ago but you might be right about it not happening in the game menu.. I'd have to check again.

For sure it definitely happened every time I pressed the Xbox home button too.

Apr 24, 2018
Feeling super guilty about not picking Control up during Black Friday now, even though there's no way I get around to it for like a year, at least.

Of the nominees, Fire Emblem takes it for me no contest, but I like IGN's list overall. This is one of the more exciting picks they could have made, alongside Slay the Spire or Disco (either of which I'd have been pumped for).
I was very surprised that I really couldn't find anything to really argue with on IGN's list and liked it as well (granted I haven't played all the games, but including what knowledge I have of them). FE3H is my personal game of the year, and I'm happy that it got acknowledged by IGN.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's not fine on Pro. It runs well in non combat scenes. There is a section in the game that does run poorly even without combat though.

I did all the boss battles in the game, can't say that ever happened to me personally. I did notice some frame rate drops in more hectic battles, but nothing that caused a significant issue for me (sure that depends person to person). Only bigger issues I had with performance on the Pro was the framerate would always chug 2-3 seconds after coming out of a menu (not a huge issue, but definitely annoying), and sometimes the map would have issues loading in (from what I remember this improved after a patch).

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Cool choice and even if i have not played it yet, i'm so happy for Remedy, i played and loved all of their games before control.
Waiting of steam version, but more importantly, to have an RTX card for that apparently sweet ray tracing effects.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did all the boss battles in the game, can't say that ever happened to me personally. I did notice some frame rate drops in more hectic battles, but nothing that caused a significant issue for me (sure that depends person to person). Only bigger issues I had with performance on the Pro was the framerate would always chug 2-3 seconds after coming out of a menu (not a huge issue, but definitely annoying), and sometimes the map would have issues loading in (from what I remember this improved after a patch).
Yeah, I have both of those issues. I think the first (also happens when loading into an area) is kind of a non-issue. Game stabilizes within a couple seconds.

Performance is also bad if you have the map up. If you try running around with the map up there's a lot of stutters. Kind of strange I think since I wouldn't imagine a map would have any real impact on performance, but oddly it does here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if some people who haven't played Control, but have their interest piqued by this, try it out, then go back and try Quantum Break, too. It's similar, but different enough that I think both should be experienced.

Carcosan Stag

AVALANCHE
Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Congrats to Remedy! Such a beautiful, amazing game. Definitely deserved that win. Finished playing it recently with my SO and we had a great time with it. Can't wait for the DLC to jump back in for more! :D

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if some people who haven't played Control, but have their interest piqued by this, try it out, then go back and try Quantum Break, too. It's similar, but different enough that I think both should be experienced.

Not sure about that. The exciting thing about Control was precisely that Remedy was evolving their game design to a more open level design and game structure. Quantum Break would be like slipping back into a straight jacket, with less interesting encounters to boot.