Status
Not open for further replies.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

YtnQmHh.png

Mar 26, 2018
I actually agree with this. ONLY because of how untrustworthy China is in disclosing accurate information.
Again, this is just your opinion and we can't say how trusting or not the information is. What proof is there to make this concrete at all. Yes the hubei government seems to have been downplaying it to the higher ups but other than that they count count and release numbers til they actually get to the point as they are dealing with 1000s of people worrying they have it when they may not.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of people from your country and most countrys around the world that will be going home from work or travel too. You want to ban all people from thier life for what is a bit of fear at this point? This is just too extreme imo

China has implemented the largest quarantine in history. Pretty extreme.

People who actually live outside of China can be processed over there and put on a plane back home when they've been cleared. I would say the same thing if it were me over there.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Only citizens of the destination country should be allowed in from China. And they should be tested and quarantined until they test negative.

Mar 26, 2018
China has implemented the largest quarantine in history. Pretty extreme.

People who actually live outside of China can be processed over there and put on a plane back home when they've been cleared. I would say the same thing if it were me over there.
You don't know every person's situation or predation to make those sort of demands. Most people do not have the virus and your idea of checking every person only isn't absurd, it's ridiculous and impossible. This is not a death sentence virus.

You can't check millions of travelers for a disease.

Some of your ideas are so poorly weighted it starts to get annoying

Nov 20, 2017
Word on the street in Guilin is mass death, people are pretty hysterical. Can't be easy to live in China and know that you can't trust any information. Good thing is that people are staying away from the streets.
Edit: to clarify not saying there is mass death but that people believe there is.

What the fuck is this? You know that Guilin is outside the quarantine zone, with access to the Internet and the rest of the world, right?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to send my kids with masks to school and I'll probably do it too because I interact with people of all stripes as I travel.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
You don't know every person's situation or predation to make those sort of demands. Most people do not have the virus and your idea of checking every person only isn't absurd, it's ridiculous and impossible. This is not a death sentence virus.

You can't check millions of travelers for a disease.

Some of your ideas are so poorly weighted it starts to get annoying

Right, I'm saying we won't have to check millions of travelers for a disease if we just don't let them land in the first place. That's my whole point. If you're a citizen of the US (or wherever), you can be tested and then return home, or return home and be tested before going to your actual house.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Is this basically a new strain of flu? It seems mortality rates are comparable to yearly flu deaths unless I'm missing something?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to send my kids with masks to school and I'll probably do it too because I interact with people of all stripes as I travel.

Masks aren't really helpful for keeping pathogens out. It's more about keeping them in.

Is this basically a new strain of flu? It seems mortality rates are comparable to yearly flu deaths unless I'm missing something?

It's more closely related to SARS/MERS. And it's both more infectious and considerably more deadly than seasonal flu (0.05% mortality rate for the flu this season vs. an observed 2-3% mortality rate for 2019-nCoV.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
The chart on the tweet from the previous page is like a 0.02% mortality rate. Am I missing something here?

It's similar to the flu but it can induce pneumonia rapidly. It's not a death sentence by any means. The problem in hand being, it is currently mutating and that's a gamble: the virus could either become more dangerous or less harfmul as it keeps spreading. It is the uncertainty and novelty what has raised concerns all around the world.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Damn, the 3rd US case is down the street from me (~5 miles) and I'm older (38) w/ some pre-existing conditions and on immune suppressant medication. I catch every flu/cold that comes through no matter how much I try to avoid people and keep good hygiene and it hits me harder and takes me 2-4x as long to recover as everyone else.

Pretty concerned tbh. More than I have been about any previous worldwide virus spread. Hope I don't get this as I'm afraid of my survival chances if I do.

Mar 3, 2018
I'm in Toronto and my neighborhood is stressing. My local pharmacy has sold out of masks since the news. Wen to get groceries and that's what everyone was talking about. My colleague and boss are in full panic mode.

Hopefully the spread doesn't get much worse. Only one confirmed case here so I'm not really worried.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Toronto and my neighborhood is stressing. My local pharmacy has sold out of masks since the news. Wen to get groceries and that's what everyone was talking about. My colleague and boss are in full panic mode.

Hopefully the spread doesn't get much worse. Only one confirmed case here so I'm not really worried.
Media is really whipping people up into a frenzy.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What type of masks are they selling?

Oct 26, 2017
I thiiink I might avoid public transit where I can, for a minute. I have severe doubt about the cleanliness of TTC fabric seats on the best of days, let alone now lol.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the 3rd US case is down the street from me (~5 miles) and I'm older (38) w/ some pre-existing conditions and on immune suppressant medication. I catch every flu/cold that comes through no matter how much I try to avoid people and keep good hygiene and it hits me harder and takes me 2-4x as long to recover as everyone else.

Pretty concerned tbh. More than I have been about any previous worldwide virus spread. Hope I don't get this as I'm afraid of my survival chances if I do.
I'm assuming they have this person quarantined at UCI.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

I saw that too, it's still 3~4% fatal, not 10%. I'll edit out the video until they update it accurately.

I saw some post quoting hk university saying it is 15% fatal if it requires hospitalization similar to SARS. But unlike SARS (where hospitalization is certain) the hospitalization rate is lower so the overall mortality rate should be lower.

Still, if it is allowed to spread it will probably be 100 times worse than flu.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It's similar to the flu but it can induce pneumonia rapidly. It's not a death sentence by any means. The problem in hand being, it is currently mutating and that's a gamble: the virus could either become more dangerous or less harfmul as it keeps spreading. It is the uncertainty and novelty what has raised concerns all around the world.
That Nature article up this thread is actually showing to epidemiologists that this one isn't mutating as rapidly as they thought when they compared the samples then to the ones making people sick now.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Last cold I had seemed to linger about four weeks. Could have been two colds back to back but it floored me

Was it this past year? If we caught the same thing, it wasn't really a cold, but a pharyngitis outbreak worldwide. I and a lot of people I knew (including overseas) had symptoms for about a month.

Normal colds are about two weeks or less...

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Was it this past year? If we caught the same thing, it wasn't really a cold, but a pharyngitis outbreak worldwide. I and a lot of people I knew (including overseas) had symptoms for about a month.

Normal colds are about two weeks or less...
I should add that the flu symptoms are also a lot worse than the cold. Once you had the flu, you'll know if what you have is the cold or the flu in the future. The flu makes you feel like you got hit by ten trucks. Like you can't even get up to drink water because you feel faint kind of symptoms.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I should add that the flu symptoms are also a lot worse than the cold. Once you had the flu, you'll know if what you have is the cold or the flu in the future. The flu makes you feel like you got hit by ten trucks. Like you can't even get up to drink water because you feel faint kind of symptoms.

Definitely. The flu is on a whole other level in terms of severity.

That being said, I don't actually know the symptoms first-hand since I haven't had the flu for close to two decades now, even without the flu vaccine. I've, however, caught so many different pharyngeal and bronchio-related viruses. I think it's because a lot of those viruses transmit asymptomatically, but I'm not 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.