Status
Not open for further replies.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Uhhh, that's an interesting spin lol
Well, I'm heading to Beijing tomorrow so knowing that it's somewhat contained is reassuring. Now, I hope that they will be able to find a way to cure and take care of all the people in Wuhan. It must not be a Dome situation. I hope people there will understand that it's for the good of everyone and that they need to take it seriously...

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have to care about individual rights or the rule of law
and it's probably the right move if the end result saves many lives

Even if they don't have direct accountability they still do care about how people feel. Best way to stay in power is to keep the majority of the people happy.
Plus luckily pretty much in all country in the world individual rights are revoked when it's about public health.

It's good that they are not underestimating this(or holy shit, they thing is that bad), I'm was half wrong here.
It's still not like a film scenario, private and economic related traffic are still going in and out.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell us how the current situation is accurate to the Hollywood movie with goop actress.

Novel virus originating from wildlife transfers to pigs and then to humans, where it spreads to others due to poor sanitary practice. From there, it jumps via air travel to countries all around the world, where it spreads asymptomatically for days before the full extent of the outbreak is known.

The movie is extremely well-regarded for both its scenario and the accuracy of its epidemiology, and the scenario is quite similar to what's happening right now, down to the virus' basic reproduction rate. Although, in the movie, the virus causes encephalitis rather than pneumonia.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Novel virus originating from wildlife transfers to pigs and then to humans, where it spreads to others due to poor sanitary practice. From there, it jumps via air travel to countries all around the world, where it spreads asymptomatically for days before the full extent of the outbreak is known.

The movie is extremely well-regarded for both its scenario and the accuracy of its epidemiology.

But...GOOP tho lol

Mar 26, 2018
Not letting people leave or travel on enclosed areas where you have no choice but to get others sick is not a terrible idea if you really don't want it to spread.

I know it causes many issues and would no doubt be terrible to be there but leaving your local area to take buses, trains etc is a bigger risk and they are doing many of them a favor in some ways possibly.

If you keep them moving it will only spread to every location imaginable.

I don't really understand why this has taken almost a month to ramp up though. We knew it in December and it died down a lot for alm

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please tell us how the current situation is accurate to the Hollywood movie with goop actress.

Yea I think you're focusing on the wrong things in the initial reply, the comment was stating the movie is scary accurate to what an outbreak would look like, not that it's scary accurate to the current situation, although due to the films accuracy similarities could happen.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
I'm not saying the movie sucks I'm saying the movie scenario isn't representing the current situation.

Contagion virus kills people after 2 days, and death is inevitable after symptoms.

Are we there yet?

EDIT : TheLostBigBoss allright

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying the movie sucks I'm saying the movie scenario isn't representing the current situation.

Contagion virus kills people after 2 days, and death is inevitable after symptoms.

Are we there yet?

So, once again, people bring up Contagion in respect to the accuracy of the film in what it's own fictional infection would look like in our reality.

You keep thinking people are saying "CONTAGION IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW WITH THE SAME VIRUS" and... nobody is saying that.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is...not true. In Contagion the virus has a 20-30% mortality rate and generally develops within a week. Paltrow dies four days after infection.

You seem to be confusing Contagion with Outbreak, in which the virus has the qualities you mention.

Anyway, the point is that the scenario itself is similar, though the virus itself is not.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What in the fuck is this?

Local government: Don't sell civet cats they cause coronaviruses
Citizens: But it's our local delicacy
Local government: Wellllllllllll okay.

So how worried should my gf and I be as she's going to Tokyo in 2 weeks?
Bring your own utensils for restaurants & wash your hands properly with alcohol cleanser/soap.
Refrain from swapping liquids with others.

I think you should be ok. . . if it doesn't mutate.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
The videos are impressive. Like a movie, actually, with all the streets barren and the infected being carried inside plastic containers. I just read the quarantine was called after many citizens had left already, so let's hope it doesn't blow up anymore.

So far, from the reports we're getting the mortality rate of the virus is somewhere around 2~3%, so it's not as deadly as SARS (yet).

What a year guys...And we still haven't left January.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, these are the "announced" numbers

ccfe5372-9b66-4199-9966-020bc6bb35a0.png

If the number is 4k before Chinese New Year 😟

Even with the announced numbers, it's just above a 3 percent mortality rate.

Mar 26, 2018
Even though I believe logically it should be fine. I am actually in China and some of the posts and news story's stir my anxi
The videos are impressive. Like a movie, actually, with all the streets barren and the infected being carried inside plastic containers. I just read the quarantine was called after many citizens had left already, so let's hope it doesn't blow up anymore.

So far, from the reports we're getting the mortality rate of the virus is somewhere around 2~3%, so it's not as deadly as SARS (yet).

What a year guys...And we still haven't left January.
What video is that.

lunlunqq

Oct 26, 2017
I was in Tokyo 2 days ago... Yesterday I flew to Beijing. It's quite surreal to be surrounded by thousands of people all wearing masks. I haven't been able to get any masks yet. Places I've been to all sold them out.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WHO declared global emergency. People seem underestimated how easy virus can spread.
I thought they postponed
I was in Tokyo 2 days ago... Yesterday I flew to Beijing. It's quite surreal to be surrounded by thousands of people all wearing masks. I haven't been able to get any masks yet. Places I've been to all sold them out.
The cheap ones don't do anything.
The expensive ones need to be swapped out every hour.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

I would post both in here but it seems there's a bit of confusion going on regarding their origin. If you go on Twitter and look for "Wuhan" and then get to the videos section, you'll see 2 or 3 that appear to be legit. One of them shows tents outside a hospital, but that one seems to be in another city, not Wuhan. Another one shows a highway being block in the middle of the night preventing people to leave the city, so that one could be Wuhan.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wuhu is a city of 11 million people. Shutting down the entire public transportation system is no small feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.