• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I currently am using an Intel i7 980X CPU from 2010...6 cores, 3.33 GHz base and 3.60 GHz Turbo, Hyperthreading enabled...my question is, the CPU is still running flawlessly today with all the latest games (Doom Eternal, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order etc)...I game at 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor...I'm using the same CPU since 2010 but I upgrade my GPU frequently along with my SSD (I plan on getting the new Nvidia 3000 series cards when it is released)

do I even need to buy a new CPU and build a new system (Motherboard, memory etc)...isn't everything mainly GPU dependent and will always be the bottleneck at 1440p and higher resolutions?...so the CPU I have since it's at least 3.33 GHz and 6-cores should be fine right?...what difference would it make in terms of gaming performance or fps if I did upgrade to one of the newer CPU's?...I don't do any video editing or content creation and just use this system for gaming, internet browsing and MS Office type of software

I know there are newer CPU instruction sets but I've never run into compatibility issues with my 980X...would upgrading to something like the i5 10600K be worth the expense?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
You are in a dire need for an upgrade.

While the fps may look fine on the surface the big issues show up when you start looking at the 1% and 0.1% low. Compared to modern CPUs your fps will tank very often into sub 60fps 1% and probably way lower than that in 0.1% lows.

You will also heavily bottleneck modern GPUs with the slow CPU and RAM and you are locked out from modern Gen 3 and 4 NVMe SSDs.

If you want more infos about 1% and 0.1 lows watch this video by gamersnexus:

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Are you using it stock?

You should always overlock on x58 because it's a massive diff and also run RAM in triple chan configuration.

IWla4Dm.jpg

eemIYyO.jpg

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Are you using it stock?

You should always overlock on x58 because it's a massive diff and also run RAM in triple chan configuration.

It's not worth investing that much time to fine tune a 10 year old CPU.

Even OCed it's super outdated and it will only get worse since next-gen is starting in a few months.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Here, another video for you (although it's 2 years old)

It's lagging behind the first gen Ryzen 1600 and i5 8400 on games.

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You are in a dire need for an upgrade.

While the fps may look fine on the surface the big issues show up when you start looking at the 1% and 0.1% low. Compared to modern CPUs your fps will tank very often into sub 60fps 1% and probably way lower than that in 0.1% lows.

as far as frametimes, I've been checking it with MSI Afterburner and they seem to be within a good range...for example I always heard that a good frametime should be in sync with your frame rate....ie (120fps=8ms, 60fps=16ms, 30fps=32ms)...whenever I check real-time when gaming they seem to be within that range...and with G-Sync enabled won't that also help

I hear what you're saying as far as NVMe and SATA speeds but I'm currently using an 860 EVO SSD and a GTX 1070 GPU...outside of 1% measurements etc would upgrading my CPU offer me noticeable real world improvements in gaming?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Keep in mind a newer CPU isn't just simply about higher core counts and clock speed. You did mention instruction sets, but there is also IPC to consider as well as faster bus speed access which has significant effect on GPU performance.

A PCIe 3.0 GPU will work on PCIe 2.0 slot but it won't ever get full advantage of PCIe 3.0 never mind PCIe 4.0 bus speeds. Also if you ever want to take advantage of the newer NVMe SSD standard, you'll have no choice but to upgrade if you want to use one. Hell the benefit of having access to DDR4 memory is tangible improvement in of itself.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's not worth investing that much time to fine tune a 10 year old CPU.

Even OCed it's super outdated and it will only get worse since next-gen is starting in a few months.

I'm not saying that he shoud tune it now.

It shoud have been OC'ed and and ran with proper memory confing since day 1.

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It shoud have been OC'ed and and ran with proper memory confing since day 1.

I've always been hesitant to OC because I wanted the CPU to last (and it has, literally 10 years running)...the main reason I bought that 980X Extreme CPU for $1000 was because I wanted the fastest frequencies and I wanted the CPU to last for at least 5 years

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you're getting a new GPU, you owe it to that new GPU to get yourself a new CPU. It's going to bottleneck that card. Even a $120 3300x soundly beats that CPU.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The X series chip is no different than the newer K series chips, which come with an unlocked multiplier. If you don't plan to OC your CPU then you there is no point in getting a X or K series chip. This is the difference mainly between a Non-X/K chip over X/K version.

Oct 25, 2017
Get a new CPU. You got all that it's worth out of your 980x at this point.
Even an entry level Ryzen 5 is going is going to outperform it even if you overclock.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Gonna use this thread real quick just to ask: I got an i7-6700k and a 1080ti.
I basically have no idea how my CPU stacks up anymore.
I feel like it is not as good in bigger games anymore, but I got no benchmarks or anything really to check.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I feel like it is not as good in bigger games anymore, but I got no benchmarks or anything really to check.
Yes i'll do the same if you don't mind. Still Using a i7 5930k @4ghz from 2014 and i'm still fine using a GTX 1080. When is the right time to upgrade?

It's impressive how good it holds up, givin' it's age.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

In a stock configuration it gets outperformed by 100$ CPUs plus the 6700k is only 4c/8t which is already problematic and it will only get worse from now.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

It's still holding on at this point, but more and more games are leveraging 6 cores. It's not the chart topper that it was in the past. Even AMD's roughly $100 ish dollar CPU's out perform it.

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
so as far as my 980X would the 9700K be a worthwhile upgrade?...I want to buy something above what I may need today so that it'll last me another 8-10 years...I hear the new 10000 chips aren't worth it especially with Intel planning on releasing another round of 14nm CPU's at the end of the year (Rocket Lake-S)...I'd really prefer to wait for Intel's 10nm chips but apparently that's not coming until 2021

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
so as far as my 980X would the 9700K be a worthwhile upgrade?...I want to buy something above what I may need today so that it'll last me another 8-10 years...I hear the new 10000 chips aren't worth it especially with Intel planning on releasing another round of 14nm CPU's at the end of the year (Rocket Lake-S)...I'd really prefer to wait for Intel's 10nm chips but apparently that's not coming until 2021

In general AMD > Intel at pretty much everything except at gaming but at higher resolution that lead shrinks to a meager few extra % and the upcoming Ryzen 4000 Series will push AMD also to the top position in gaming.

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In general AMD > Intel at pretty much everything and the upcoming Ryzen 4000 Series will increase AMDs lead even more.

so no chance Intel's upcoming Rocket Lake-S chips will beat AMD's 3000/4000 series?...Intel's only hope of getting back in the game will be 10nm?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
so no chance Intel's upcoming Rocket Lake-S chips will beat AMD's 3000/4000 series?...Intel's only hope of getting back in the game will be 10nm?

They could be faster but don't forget that Intel CPUs will also cost 20-30% more compared to equal AMD model which is just terrible value for maybe 3-4% extra FPS which could be spend on a much faster graphics card.

Nov 14, 2017
as far as frametimes, I've been checking it with MSI Afterburner and they seem to be within a good range...for example I always heard that a good frametime should be in sync with your frame rate....ie (120fps=8ms, 60fps=16ms, 30fps=32ms)...whenever I check real-time when gaming they seem to be within that range...and with G-Sync enabled won't that also help

I hear what you're saying as far as NVMe and SATA speeds but I'm currently using an 860 EVO SSD and a GTX 1070 GPU...outside of 1% measurements etc would upgrading my CPU offer me noticeable real world improvements in gaming?
Frametime is directly proportional to framerate. It's just another way of expressing the same thing.

The point about 1% and 0.1% frametime/rate is that weaker CPUs are bottlenecks, so the worst 0.1% frame times will be super high. This manifests as stutter during high action scenes, or microstutter during regular gameplay. If you have G-Sync you might not see the stutter as much, but I find I can feel it during gameplay. That's why it's important to optimise your settings not just for average framerate, but the worst case 1 or 0.1%.

If I were you, I'd get one of the current Zen 2 chips. I think the Ryzen 3700x is the current hotness. I'm waiting for Zen3 next year to replace my 4790k. The forthcoming Intel parts don't look that great because Intel screwed up their 10nm process, so are pretty far behind everyone else right now on 14nm. AMD is currently on 7nm and Zen3 should be 5nm.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been hesitant to OC because I wanted the CPU to last (and it has, literally 10 years running)...the main reason I bought that 980X Extreme CPU for $1000 was because I wanted the fastest frequencies and I wanted the CPU to last for at least 5 years

These CPUs and X58 mobos were really built to last since they were made with heavy OCs in mind.

There was nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The 9700K is a $375 CPU. You might as well get 3900X for basically $30 more at that point.

I have a 9900K myself have some minor buyers regret for not holding out for the Zen 2 chips after them blowing up Intel at Computex last year.

I hear the 9900K runs really hot which is why I was looking at the 9700K...but it looks like AMD might be the better buy at this point...the Ryzen 5 3600 seems to get a lot of great reviews...my only issue is I don't just want to get a mid-range CPU that lasts me 2-3 years...I'd rather spend a little more and get something that lasts at least 5 years

I like to upgrade my GPU but I prefer to keep my CPU for much longer

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I hear the 9900K runs really hot which is why I was looking at the 9700K...but it looks like AMD might be the better buy at this point...the Ryzen 5 3600 seems to get a lot of great reviews...my only issue is I don't just want to get a mid-range CPU that lasts me 2-3 years...I'd rather spend a little more and get something that lasts at least 5 years

I like to upgrade my GPU but I prefer to keep my CPU for much longer

The 3600 is a solid choice. It's the best buy all around CPU.

If you want something that's a bit more lasting go for the 3700x.

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If I were you, I'd get one of the current Zen 2 chips. I think the Ryzen 3700x is the current hotness. I'm waiting for Zen3 next year to replace my 4790k. The forthcoming Intel parts don't look that great because Intel screwed up their 10nm process, so are pretty far behind everyone else right now on 14nm. AMD is currently on 7nm and Zen3 should be 5nm.

the current AMD 3000 series is Zen 2?...so what are the new AMD CPU's coming out in September- Zen 3?

Sarek

Oct 27, 2017

I've been using i2500k @ 4,2 Ghz OC since December 2011 and it still working fine and runs even current games just fine paired with 1060.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
If you're mostly gaming, 10600K is the current best value CPU on Intel's side, if stock permits.

Nov 14, 2017
the current AMD 3000 series is Zen 2?...so what are the new AMD CPU's coming out in September- Zen 3?
Yea, I think Zen 3 is coming out this fall. If you want to wait for that you can, but the current Zen 2 parts are really good. I think they have good overclocking potential, so you can push them further in like 5yrs when you want to improve your 0.1% frame times. Either of them are good choices. I wouldn't wait beyond that though, because everything is switching to DDR5 after that. The first generation of DDR5 probably won't be better than the mature DDR4; the same was true during the DDR3 to 4 switchover. So, it makes sense to just get either a Zen 2 now or a Zen 3 in the fall, get 32GB of memory and you're probably good for another decade 😸

Edit: Just checked and Zen3 is still going to be 7nm. I think it might be Global Foundries 7nm+ process though, which means lower power consumption and possibly better overclocking.

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yea, I think Zen 3 is coming out this fall. If you want to wait for that you can, but the current Zen 2 parts are really good. I think they have good overclocking potential, so you can push them further in like 5yrs when you want to improve your 0.1% frame times. Either of them are good choices. I wouldn't wait beyond that though, because everything is switching to DDR5 after that. The first generation of DDR5 probably won't be better than the mature DDR4; the same was true during the DDR3 to 4 switchover. So, it makes sense to just get either a Zen 2 now or a Zen 3 in the fall, get 32GB of memory and you're probably good for another decade 😸

Edit: Just checked and Zen3 is still going to be 7nm. I think it might be Global Foundries 7nm+ process though, which means lower power consumption and possibly better overclocking.

I'm so used to Intel that it's going to be weird switching to AMD...so there's no issues with pairing an AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU?...I always heard that Intel/Nvidia and AMD CPU/GPU was the optimal setup

Nov 14, 2017
I'm so used to Intel that it's going to be weird switching to AMD...so there's no issues with pairing an AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU?...I always heard that Intel/Nvidia and AMD CPU/GPU was the optimal setup
No, there's no issue. Last time I used AMD was like 15yrs ago when they released the Athlon x2, which was a monster. The first ever dual-core CPU in fact. Intel decided to pursue Itanium for their 64bit platform, which turned into a dead end. AMD developed x64 instead, which is what everyone settled on. AMD really was leading for a while back there! Intel came back and beat them with their process advantage though. Intel were basically a process node ahead of AMD for ages. Now they've lost that advantage which means the AMD parts are just better. Intel has the better parts at the very top end, but you're paying disproportionately for them both in upfront cost and electricity - which adds up over a decade!

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes i'll do the same if you don't mind. Still Using a i7 5930k @4ghz from 2014 and i'm still fine using a GTX 1080. When is the right time to upgrade?

My opinion:
The time to upgrade is when you feel games aren't running good enough anymore. Never upgrade in advance or just because there's something better on the market.
You will get more performance for your money if you wait until you actually need it.

Right now no one can really know when your CPU won't be enough anymore. My guess is that it could be fine for the first cross-gen titles to arrive, so maybe another year or two. Things will look different further in of course.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
How does this work? Three 4 GB memory carts to do 16 GB for example? Do motherboards these days have enough room for this sort of linking? Like, my current one has four slots for two pairs in dual channel mode.

It's not common now on mainstream boards.

The X58 boards have triple channel memory support and are pretty dependand on it.

The most common config back then was 3x4 Gig sticks. You can end up with wierd numbers because of it.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
My opinion:
The time to upgrade is when you feel games aren't running good enough anymore. Never upgrade in advance or just because there's something better on the market.
You will get more performance for your money if you wait until you actually need it.

Right now no one can really know when your CPU won't be enough anymore. My guess is that it could be fine for the first cross-gen titles to arrive, so maybe another year or two. Things will look different further in of course.
Thanks. It kinda shows the dead of Moore's law in action, doesn't it? It's crazy that 6/7 year old CPU's still hold up pretty well these days. I usually made a completely new build after 7 years, and you could really feel the hardware's age and the rendering advancements taking a toll in the last years of the cycle. But this time around, it's hard to notice if i'm honest.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
is it a better value then the 9700K?...the 9700K doesn't have HT though (I think)
Yeah, no hyperthreading on the 9700K (8c/8t) while the 10600K is a 6c/12t CPU and the performance when overclocked makes it really competitive with the 10900K. Although we really don't know if fewer cores/threads will have a negative impact on performance for next-gen games but for right now it's really good.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know there is always something new around the corner, but at this point I would (and actually am) wait for Ryzen 4 this fall.

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
I just yesterday upgraded from an i7-5820K to i7-10700K and only reason I did that was due to NVIDIA dropping 3D Support so got an IGPU to use for 3D Blurays.
I have 2X 1080s and always thought my CPU was more than fine.

But damn replaying some games now I realised how much my system was struggling to keep up with the framerates.

So yes a CPU upgrade is definitely worth it if my experience is anything to go by.

Just waiting for 3080Ti for my next GPU upgrade

OP
OP
Kalik

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, no hyperthreading on the 9700K (8c/8t) while the 10600K is a 6c/12t CPU and the performance when overclocked makes it really competitive with the 10900K. Although we really don't know if fewer cores/threads will have a negative impact on performance for next-gen games but for right now it's really good.

the 10600K doesn't seem to be in stock in most places...have they sold out or is Intel having supply issues?

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
wait until the new consoles and Zen3 are out (late this year) IMO, for the moment your CPU is OK for most games,

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You need to look at GPU utilization.
It's certainly possible that you could be GPU-bottlenecked if you're playing games on ultra settings at high resolutions, but even then I'd be surprised if you aren't running into CPU limitations quite often.
Since I wrote a post about CPU bottlenecks the other day, I'll post it here verbatim:

If your GPU is not at 95% or higher (ideally 99%) at all times it is generally an indication that your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.
It's rare for the CPU to ever be at 100% across all cores -or even a single core- even if it is the bottleneck. It does sometimes happen when playing demanding games that can scale to more cores than the CPU has though.

I often use Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to illustrate these issues, as it's one of the few games which would completely max out my old i5-2500K CPU - 100% usage on all four cores.
I don't have full screenshots for all of the examples, only stats, but it still illustrates the point.
This is the most clear example there could be of being CPU-limited, as the scene remains at 43 FPS no matter what graphical settings were used, and upgrading the GPU did nothing but lower GPU utilization.
The faster GPU can use higher quality graphics settings, but cannot go above 43 FPS because that's the limit of what the CPU can handle.
Technically there is a very slight GPU bottleneck introduced with the high quality settings, as it dropped from 43.7 FPS to 43.3 FPS.

In another test I adjust the i5-2500K's clock speed.
At 4.5 GHz the game runs at 50 FPS with 60% GPU utilization:
4500mhz-smallq3sgf.png

Dropping it to 2.3 GHz cuts the frame rate by an equal amount: going from 50 FPS to only 26 FPS, and dropping GPU utilization from 60% to 30%:
2300mhz-small29sbe.png

So we know that the GPU is being bottlenecked by the CPU here - and we can calculate just how much from this.
If it's running at 50 FPS with 60% utilization, it should run at 83 FPS with 100% utilization; but that would require the CPU to run at ~7.5 GHz.

After upgrading the CPU to a much faster 8-core Ryzen 1700X the game runs much better in the same scene.
These results are not directly comparable though, as I had found that DX11 performed better than DX12 once it was not as CPU-limited, and the graphical settings may not have been an exact match.
But the point is that upgrading the CPU now let that scene run at over 90 FPS using the same GTX 1070, while the best that could be achieved with the i5-2500K was only 50 FPS.
dxmd-d3d11-smt0hhdqu.png

However, you can see that since the graphical settings were lowered further, the GPU is still only working at 56% here.
Even though the most-worked core on the CPU is only at 75% utilization, the GPU is still being held back and a faster CPU should still improve performance.
That's why you can't look at CPU utilization to judge whether or not it's a bottleneck. It may not always be at 100% even when it's holding things back.
You need to be looking at GPU utilization to see whether it's being bottlenecked by the CPU or not.

And it's very easy to see when the GPU is the limiting factor for performance - it will be at 99% utilization.
You can often lower graphical settings to reduce the work placed on the GPU and improve performance though. Few settings in games other than draw distance will reduce a CPU bottleneck.

My 2500K has been overclocked from 3.3 GHz to 4.5 GHz for the past nine years without issues.
So long as it's adequately cooled and you stay within reasonable core voltage ranges, overclocking should not meaningfully impact CPU lifespan or stability.

You are generally better off spending less money and upgrading more often than spending a lot of money now and expecting it to last a decade.
But these CPUs are also far less expensive than your 980X to begin with.

A lot of people like to push the idea that CPU doesn't matter at high resolutions, or that AMD is close to Intel in gaming performance.
exodus4k-pajhb.jpg

Intel provides a far more consistent experience in games than AMD.
The 4000-series CPUs should hopefully improve upon this a lot with the move from 4-core CCXes to 8-core CCXes and improved IPC, but no-one can say how they will perform until they're tested.
And even then, a lot of places testing CPU performance do inadequate testing and only look at averages (where AMD might look fine) or post percentile numbers without context.

The 9700K is a $375 CPU - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-Procesador-desbloqueado/dp/B07HHN6KBZ
You might as well get 3900X for basically $30 more at that point. https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3900X-24-Thread-Processor/dp/B07SXMZLP9

I have a 9900K myself have some minor buyers regret for not holding out for the Zen 2 chips after them blowing up Intel at Computex last year.
The 3900X is much worse for gaming than a 9700K - though I'd always recommend buying the latest generation of CPU (10700K) even if the difference seems minor. Prices may be discounted but MSRP for the 9700K and 10700K are the same, while the 10700K has hyperthreading (8c8t vs 8c16t).
The 12-core 3900X is really hurt by the 4x3-core CCX design - it tends to perform worse in most games than the 8-core 3700X with its 2x4-core CCX design (see above).
Higher core-count AMD CPUs like the 3900X are good for 'offline' tasks like batch-processing or rendering, but not as good as Intel CPUs for real-time tasks like gaming or editing.

Frametime is directly proportional to framerate. It's just another way of expressing the same thing.
The main reason it used to be "different" is that monitoring tools used to average frame rate over 100-1000ms, but not frame time.
The option to disable averaging and have RTSS update its stats every frame has been there for a long time now though.