• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Does this come with HBO MAX

Noticed a ton of CC movies on max.
Nope, its a separate service that has a lot of stuff beyond the numbered collection that's largely on Max. There's a focus on extra features and commentaries (like the criterion discs themselves), collections (some of which are so specific they almost sound comical like Czechoslovak New Wave), and some original programming.

There is some overlap of a few hundred titles, that if you're interested would probably give you a pretty good taste of what is largely on here.

I keep it because I know that every film on it is good (or at least interesting in some way) and every month introduces me to tons of movies I would have never even heard of otherwise.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, its a separate service that has a lot of stuff beyond the numbered collection that's largely on Max. There's a focus on extra features and commentaries (like the criterion discs themselves), collections (some of which are so specific they almost sound comical like Czechoslovak New Wave), and some original programming.

There is some overlap of a few hundred titles, that if you're interested would probably give you a pretty good taste of what is largely on here.

I keep it because I know that every film on it is good (or at least interesting in some way) and every month introduces me to tons of movies I would have never even heard of otherwise.
My dad has a huge back catalog of stuff he's been trying to find for years and decades. And some of this stuff is utterly just... impossible to find.

A lot of the movies he's looking for come from the:
996383.jpg

We tried Shudder but that was just sad in terms of content.

I've had to rely on... less than moral ways to find even just a few movies once or twice. Like, if we literally can't even buy the DVDs or stream (and trust me, we tried!) we had nothing else to lose, and no place left to turn. We had to give it a shot. Quality was shit but he knocked a few off his bucket list that way. Sorry if that talk is not allowed here, but considering the circumstances, cut us some slack.

I may try a trial of CC just so he can browse. I noticed it was only an app for phones not too long ago, but looks like they finally fixed that. (Thanks, OP and others for bringing this to my attention!)

I'm sure he'll get some use out of it anyway. I definitely do not like that people are talking about movies "expiring". Especially for harder to find stuff. Kinda defeats the point, imo. I understand it for the other services where they'll swap over and over to other platforms at least.

Anyway, I'm going to let him know and we'll give it a shot. The amount of content does seem really impressive, so probably worth it for that. Hopefully he agrees lol

Thanks for the info, Steve. He'd definitely get a kick out of the extra goodies if some of his films are on there!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
My dad has a huge back catalog of stuff he's been trying to find for years and decades. And some of this stuff is utterly just... impossible to find.

996383.jpg

I've had to rely on... less than moral ways to find even just a few movies once or twice. Like, if we literally can't even buy the DVDs or stream (and trust me, we tried!) we had nothing else to lose, and no place left to turn. We had to give it a shot. Quality was shit but he knocked a few off his bucket list that way. Sorry if that talk is not allowed here, but considering the circumstances, cut us some slack.

I may try a trial of CC just so he can browse. I noticed it was only an app for phones not too long ago, but looks like they finally fixed that. (Thanks, OP and others for bringing this to my attention!)

I'm sure he'll get some use out of it anyway. I definitely do not like that people are talking about movies "expiring". Especially for harder to find stuff. Kinda defeats the point, imo. I understand it for the other services where they'll swap over and over to other platforms at least.

Anyway, I'm going to let him know and we'll give it a shot. The amount of content does seem really impressive, so probably worth it for that. Hopefully he agrees lol

Thanks for the info, Steve. He'd definitely get a kick out of the extra goodies if some of his films are on there!
The expirations are mostly stuff that's not in the collection. And yeah I hate it too, but it's just the way the licensing world works I guess.

I'd say try the trial and see what he thinks. It has a lot more "arty" stuff though, if he's looking for more of the midnight, or b, or out there movie stuff with his guide, but there are still some on there. There's a John Waters collection on there right now for example (but thats not usually too hard to find) and a good amount of mild grindhouse shows up in horror or sci fi collections they do often. The Devils was on there a year ago but it left, and I know finding that can be hard (legally).

If that's the kind of stuff he's really looking for though it might be going in the wrong direction because I don't think it's going to beat Shudder in that category from what I've seen of both. But so much of it is forgotten anyhow, any small sighting of it is a win I guess.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The expirations are mostly stuff that's not in the collection. And yeah I hate it too, but it's just the way the licensing world works I guess.

I'd say try the trial and see what he thinks. It has a lot more "arty" stuff though, if he's looking for more of the midnight, or b, or out there movie stuff with his guide, but there are still some on there. There's a John Waters collection on there right now for example (but thats not usually isn't too hard to find) and a good amount of mild grindhouse shows up in horror or sci fi collections they do often. The Devils was on there a year ago but it left, and I know finding that can be hard (legally).

If that's the kind of stuff he's really looking for though it might be going in the wrong direction because I don't think it's going to beat Shudder in that category from what I've seen of both. But so much of it is forgotten anyhow, any small sighting of it is a win I guess.
Yeah we're kinda out of ideas haha

If even a few are there, it's win for sure. Thanks again!

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Criterion Channel is going to have very little that's in that book, I'd imagine. There are occasional inclusions of stuff like HG Lewis films, or Corman-produced stuff, but there isn't much as a rule. Never hurts to look though. I find the channel is worth it because there's inevitably any number of titles on there I might have bought otherwise. So it saves me money over the long run. I have wayyyy too many discs as it is.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
For cult movies the Arrow Player service is probably the way to go:

Browse - ARROW (arrow-player.com)

Mostly it's what they already have on disc, though, so it won't get you obscurities.

Youtube / piracy / sourcing old VHS tapes might be the only viable options in some cases.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everything that expires from CC pops back up eventually, or bounces to Mubi or somewhere else. I don't like that streaming service licensing works that way in general, but CC isn't any worse or anything.

996383.jpg

I don't know if this helps, but I find the filter by service feature on letterboxd to be crucial for figuring stuff like this out. They let you filter by a list of your streaming services, crossreferenced with JustWatch.com. Looks like someone compiled the complete Psychotronic here:
https://letterboxd.com/bigdaddywarbuxx/list/the-almost-complete-psychotronic-encyclopedia/

You can filter to see what's on the streaming services you do have, or if there's a specific entry you're looking for you can go to that film and check out the "where to watch" pane on the left side.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much everything that expires from CC pops back up eventually, or bounces to Mubi or somewhere else. I don't like that streaming service licensing works that way in general, but CC isn't any worse or anything.

I don't know if this helps, but I find the filter by service feature on letterboxd to be crucial for figuring stuff like this out. They let you filter by a list of your streaming services, crossreferenced with JustWatch.com. Looks like someone compiled the complete Psychotronic here:
https://letterboxd.com/bigdaddywarbuxx/list/the-almost-complete-psychotronic-encyclopedia/

You can filter to see what's on the streaming services you do have, or if there's a specific entry you're looking for you can go to that film and check out the "where to watch" pane on the left side.
Yeah we had went thru that! It was helpful but still missing some stuff that wasn't there.

Thanks!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'd argue its better than most other services even because stuff only leaves at the end of a month and it shows clearly what's leaving giving you time to watch.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
every other service apparently just gets its own thread now for releases

kind of tempts me to do it just to see what would happen

but i feel it wouldnt go well lol

As for the films leaving this month, I have to decide if I want to watch Wolf, Archangel, The Last Detail, and The Leopard. Or maybe just Spartacus for like the third time. That movie rules.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
August 2021 films announced
  • Abigail Harm, Lee Isaac Chung, 2012
  • Across the Pacific, John Huston, 1942
  • The African Queen, John Huston, 1951
  • American Hunger, Ephraim Asili, 2013
  • Amores perros, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, 2000
  • Annie, John Huston, 1982
  • The Asphalt Jungle, John Huston, 1950 *
  • Bestiaire, Denis Côté, 2012
  • The Big Chill, Lawrence Kasdan, 1983
  • Blessed Land, Pham Ngoc Lan, 2019
  • Bombshell, Victor Fleming, 1933
  • Boris Without Béatrice, Denis Côté, 2016
  • Braguino, Clément Cogitore, 2017
  • Buchanan Rides Alone, Budd Boetticher, 1958
  • … But Then, She's Betty Carter, Michelle Parkerson, 1980
  • China Seas, Tay Garnett, 1935
  • Comanche Station, Budd Boetticher, 1960
  • Conceiving Ada, Lynn Hershman Leeson, 1997
  • The Dead, John Huston, 1987
  • Decision at Sundown, Budd Boetticher, 1957
  • The Devil's Harmony, Dylan Holmes Williams, 2019
  • Dinner at Eight, George Cukor, 1933 *
  • Disintegration 93–96, Miko Revereza, 2017
  • Distancing, Miko Revereza, 2019
  • Dustin, Naïla Guiguet, 2020
  • Duvidha, Mani Kaul, 1973
  • The End of Suffering (A Proposal), Jacqueline Lentzou, 2020
  • Fat City, John Huston, 1972
  • Fluid Frontiers, Ephraim Asili, 2017
  • Forged Ways, Ephraim Asili, 2010
  • Freud, John Huston, 1962 *
  • The Girl from Missouri, Jack Conway, 1934
  • Gloria Mundi, Nikos Papatakis, 1976
  • Gotta Make This Journey: Sweet Honey in the Rock, Joseph Camp, 1983
  • Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, John Huston, 1957
  • Hella Trees, Ayo Akingbade, 2020
  • Hold Your Man, Sam Wood, 1933
  • I Signed the Petition, Mahdi Fleifel, 2018
  • The Inheritance, Ephraim Asili, 2020
  • In This Our Life, John Huston, 1942
  • Key Largo, John Huston, 1948
  • Kindah, Ephraim Asili, 2016
  • Kings of Pastry, Chris Hegedus and D. A. Pennebaker, 2009
  • La piscine, Jacques Deray, 1969
  • La revue des revues, Joe Francis, 1927
  • Landscape Suicide, James Benning, 1987
  • Les abysses, Nikos Papatakis, 1963
  • Let There Be Light, John Huston, 1946
  • Libeled Lady, Jack Conway, 1936
  • Lizard, Akinola Davies, 2020
  • Lore, Cate Shortland, 2012
  • Louder Than Bombs, Joachim Trier, 2015
  • Lucky Life, Lee Isaac Chung, 2010
  • The Man Who Would Be King, John Huston, 1975
  • Many Thousands Gone, Ephraim Asili, 2015
  • The Marvelous Misadventures of the Stone Lady, Gabriel Abrantes, 2019
  • Mizaru, Sudarshan Suresh, 2019
  • Moby Dick, John Huston, 1956
  • Moonstruck, Norman Jewison, 1987
  • Moulin Rouge, John Huston, 1952
  • Moving, Adinah Dancyger, 2019
  • Munyurangabo, Lee Isaac Chung, 2007
  • The Night of the Iguana, John Huston, 1964
  • No Data Plan, Miko Revereza, 2019
  • Odds and Ends, Michelle Parkerson, 1993
  • One Day Before the Rainy Season, Mani Kaul, 1971
  • Our Daily Bread, Mani Kaul, 1969
  • Personal Property, W.S. Van Dyke, 1937
  • The Phantom of the Monastery, Fernando de Fuentes, 1934
  • The Photograph, Nikos Papatakis, 1986
  • Princesse Tam-Tam, Edmond T. Gréville, 1935
  • Reckless, Victor Fleming, 1935
  • Red Dust, Victor Fleming, 1932
  • Red-Headed Woman, Jack Conway, 1932
  • Reflections in a Golden Eye, John Huston, 1967
  • Ride Lonesome, Budd Boetticher, 1959
  • Riffraff, J. Walter Ruben, 1936
  • Saratoga, Jack Conway, 1937
  • The Secret of NIMH, Don Bluth, 1982
  • Seven Men from Now, Budd Boetticher, 1956
  • The Shooting, Monte Hellman, 1966
  • Siren of the Tropics, Mario Nalpas, 1927
  • The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Martin Ritt, 1965
  • Sticker, Georgi Unkovski, 2019
  • Storme: The Lady of the Jewel Box, Michelle Parkerson, 1987
  • Strange Culture, Lynn Hershman Leeson, 2007
  • Suzy, George Fitzmaurice, 1936
  • The Tall T, Budd Boetticher, 1957
  • Teknolust, Lynn Hershman-Leeson, 2002
  • The Shepherds of Calamity, Nikos Papatakis, 1967
  • Thelma, Joachim Trier, 2017
  • Ticket of No Return, Ulrike Ottinger, 1979
  • Time Bandits, Terry Gilliam, 1981
  • To the Ends of the Earth, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2019
  • Top Spin, Mina T. Son and Sara Newens, 2014
  • Vic + Flo Saw a Bear, Denis Côté, 2013
  • Walking a Tightrope, Nikos Papatakis, 1991
  • A Walk with Love and Death, John Huston, 1969
  • Wife vs. Secretary, Clarence Brown, 1936
  • Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Pedro Almodóvar, 1988 *
  • Youssou N'Dour: I Bring What I Love, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2008
  • Zou Zou, Marc Allégret, 1934
*Available in the U.S. only

still for some reason entertaining a thread just to see what might happen

edit my experiment has been posted: https://www.resetera.com/threads/cr...atakis-jean-harlow-mani-kaul-and-more.463122/

Last edited:

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
October's looking good!

Universal Horror

FEATURING: Dracula (Spanish-Language Version) (1931), The Mummy(1932), The Invisible Man (1933), The Black Cat (1934), Bride of Frankenstein (1935), The Raven (1935), The Wolf Man (1941), Creature from the Black Lagoon(1954)

Home Invasion

FEATURING: Blind Alley (1939), The Desperate Hours (1955), Private Property(1960), Viridiana (1961), Cape Fear (1962)* , Cul-de-sac (1966), Violence at Noon(1966), In Cold Blood (1967), Night of the Living Dead (1968), The Anderson Tapes (1971), The Visitors (1972), Black Christmas (1974), Demon Seed (1977), The Plumber (1979), Angst (1983), To Sleep with Anger (1990), Bad Influence (1990), Funny Games (1997), Them (2006), Inside (2007)

Starring Kirk Douglas

FEATURING: The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946), Out of the Past (1947),I Walk Alone (1947), Champion (1949), A Letter to Three Wives (1949), Young Man with a Horn (1950), Ace in the Hole (1951), Detective Story (1951), The Bad and the Beautiful (1952), The Big Sky (1952), Lust for Life (1956), The Vikings (1958), Last Train from Gun Hill (1959), The Devil's Disciple (1959), Spartacus (1960)*, Lonely are the Brave (1962), Two Weeks in Another Town (1962), Is Paris Burning? (1966), The Way West (1967), The Brotherhood (1968), There Was a Crooked Man . . . (1970), Posse (1975), A Father . . . A Son . . . Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2005)

Adventures in Moviegoing with Edgar Wright

FEATURING: Black Narcissus (1947), The Earrings of Madame de . . . (1953), Sapphire (1959), Beat Girl (1960), Blood and Black Lace (1964), Séance on a Wet Afternoon (1964), Persona (1966), Belle de jour (1967), Don't Look Now (1973)

True Crime

FEATURES: M (1931), Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)**, Try and Get Me! (1950), Salvatore Giuliano (1962), Les abysses (1963), In Cold Blood (1967), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), The Honeymoon Killers (1970), 10 Rillington Place (1971), The Valachi Papers (1972), Dillinger (1973), The Day of the Jackal (1973), Man on a Swing (1974), In the Realm of the Senses (1976), Vengeance Is Mine (1979), Smooth Talk (1985), Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer(1986), Landscape Suicide (1987), Reversal of Fortune (1990), A Brighter Summer Day (1991), Let Him Have It (1991), Swoon (1992), To Die For (1995), La cérémonie (1995), Deep Crimson (1996), From Hell (2001), Zodiac (2007), Gomorrah (2008), Polytechnique (2009)

SHORTS: Fry Day (2017), Blood Kin (2018)

Strangers in Paradise: 9 Films by Jim Jarmusch

FEATURING: Permanent Vacation (1980), Stranger Than Paradise (1984), Down by Law (1986), Mystery Train (1989), Night on Earth (1991), Dead Man (1995), Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999), Coffee and Cigarettes (2003), Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

Indecent Desires: Six Films by Doris Wishman

FEATURING: Nude on the Moon (1961), Bad Girls Go to Hell (1965), Indecent Desires (1968), Deadly Weapons (1974), Double Agent 73 (1974), Let Me Die a Woman (1977)

EXCLUSIVE STREAMING PREMIERES

About a Father Who
SHORTS: Which Way Is East (1994), The Last Happy Day (2009), Wind in Our Hair (2010), The Washing Society (2018), Girl Is Presence (2020), E•pis•to•lar•y: Letter to Jean Vigo (2021), Maya at 24 (2021)

CRITERION EDITIONS
PREMIERING OCTOBER 1

Island of Lost Souls (Erle C. Kenton, 1932)

Criterion Collection Edition #586

After Life (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1998)

Criterion Collection Edition #1089

Kagemusha (Akira Kurosaswa, 1980)

Criterion Collection Edition #267

When We Were Kings (Leon Gast, 1996)

Criterion Collection Edition #998

A Raisin in the Sun (Daniel Petrie, 1961)

Criterion Collection Edition #945

And a bunch more...