• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
After the kotaku article and the recent developer testimonials on Twitter detailing the work environment at Naughty Dog studios I can not in good conscenince support their toxic work practices.

No product, no matter how great, is worth sacrificing worker health and well being.

It is clear that things need to change in much of the industryin regards to crunch culture and so I will be carefully considering where my money is spent in order to support developers that do not rely oncrunch and avoid supporting ones who do.

Last of Us 2 will be the first of many games I am sure I will need to boycott. This will be my main deciding factor in purchasing games going forward.

If you, like me, see this as unacceptable I urge you to join me in not supporting this practice with your money.

#CrunchNoMore

please feel free to post studios and games that we know were not made with crunch so we know what we can support. I will do my best to update the OP with the names of studios that are safe to support

the following are studios we know do not rely on crunch:

- Insomniac Games
- Rare
- Valve
- Media Molecule
- Bithell Games
- DICE
- Klei Entertainment
- Iron Galaxy Studios
- Remedy (unconfirmed)

Studios/publishers who are making notable progress on crunch and actively working towards eliminating it:
- Bungie

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
After the kotaku article and the recent developer testimonials on Twitter detailing the work environment at Naughty Dog studios I can not in good conscenince support their toxic work practices.

No product, no matter how great, is worth sacrificing worker health and well being.

It is clear that things need to change in much of the industryin regards to crunch culture and so I will be carefully considering where my money is spent in order to support developers that do not rely oncrunch and avoid supporting ones who do.

Last of Us 2 will be the first of many games I am sure I will need to boycott. This will be my main deciding factor in purchasing games going forward.

If you, like me, see this as unacceptable I urge you to join me in not supporting this practice with your money.

#CrunchNoMore
Sounds good not buying

Brews

Feb 27, 2020
Italy
The game, to me, looked like shit from the beginning and I had no interest in buying. Guess I can sprinkle in some light boycott as well at this point.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So you are going to reward all their efforts by not buying the game? So it's all for nothing? Fair enough.

There are better ways to combat crunch culture - constant pressure from SoMe and media outlets. Governments around the world also have a responsibility too however, to enforce better working culture through directives and legal measures for all industries.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a noble cause for sure but is not buying the game actually helping? I think it might be better to start an online campaign against crunch in the industry, rather than not playing the game which staff poured their blood, sweat and tears into.

kacnep

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody's cruchnig in gamedev. Someone lower, someone bigger.
Do not buy and play games, lol

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
How about we just keep this in the fucking news so the awareness is raised and actually might bring some change?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yes, after they work their asses off, let's make this game a flop and possibly close the studio. That's gonna send a message. No.

That Kotaku article is already going to cause some pressure and there's a lot more we can do instead of boycotting other people's work.
I don't remember this energy to boycott Red Dead Redemption 2 and so many other games...

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm down with this sentiment.
I'm sure there is some crunch for all AAA games, but if Kotaku isn't reporting on it than I don't think it's as bad as it is at R* and Naughty Dogg

time to send a message that this shit ain't cool.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid I cannot join your campaign. THIS is the game I've been looking forward to for 7 years. Nobody can prevent me from buying it. Not even the virus.
So you don't care that people have been hospitalised just as long as you get the game?

I thought Naughty Dog was one of the good ones, I guess not. I wont be buying The Last of Us Part 2.

Zeeds

Mar 21, 2019
I dont think the best solution is not buying the game, so the best i can do for the people willing to boycot the game is to Ignore the thread,

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sony, MS and Nintendo as a whole uses slave work to get their products done, which is worse than crunch.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck I guess.

Pretty sure there are better ways to combat crunch culture.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who probably wasn't going to buy it anyway I can't claim to be "boycotting" it, but I respect your reasons for doing so, for whatever that's worth

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
No.

People generally talk up the big boycott until it's a game from a developer/publisher they like. Then they make exceptions.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
54DA3E6AE130F3179A139D5D8F0AD9DD68E088F4

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The game, to me, looked like shit from the beginning and I had no interest in buying. Guess I can sprinkle in some light boycott as well at this point.

You're lying. You weren't buying it anyway...so you just decided to jump in on the negativity because you can. Gotcha.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this worked it would just lead to more non disclosure agreements so that employees wouldn't be able to disclose crunch.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
it's very hard to play a game and instead of joy and fun you feel guilty.
unionize asap.

it's very shameful that my most antecipated game will be a crown jewel of crunch and probably will be the best selling PS4 exclusive.

i would love to be a fly at ND this week.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
This happens in so many industries

What about people working 60 hours a week in restaurants, are you going to boycott those as well?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DP

Last edited:

plow

Oct 28, 2017
How about you all stop buying clothes that are made in China or Bangladesh. Stop buying mobile Phones that are produced by Foxconn. Don't buy any console since they're also mostly produced there.

The world is a shit place we live in, and i don't want to diminish Crunch. It's a shit practice that i hope will change.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
The extent of crunch in this industry is so rampant that it would be way, way, easier to have a whitelist of studios that don't crunch than trying to keep track of all the studios that do.

Bithell Games is the one studio I know of offhand that is committed to not doing crunch.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nah. The devs have already put in so much time and effort that I don't get how not enjoying the work they've essentially slaved over would really help. Will probably end up costing bonuses etc. if sales don't meet expectations.