• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Same location in the original game (though the sun is higher in my shot):

jna0k2.png

Can't decide which I prefer! They both look good to me despite the obvious differences.

Oh man...
Yeah, just look at the mountain at the back. The original has alot more details and looks more in place than the trailer shot.
or the leafs on the lower left corner

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Looks as bad as those Far Cry instincts games looked vs the original Far Cry

edit - video doesnt look that bad. Just those screen shots side by side.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man...
Yeah, just look at the mountain at the back. The original has alot more details and looks more in place than the trailer shot.
or the leafs on the lower left corner
The Sun is higher in my shot though so the shadows being cast are different - that's likely masking some of the detail in the Remaster shot.

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017

jna0k2.png

Can't decide which I prefer! They both look good to me despite the obvious differences.

I acutally prefer your screenshot more. Distant trees blend more naturally with the environment because it looks like they have some shadowing. In the remaster, they just look uniformly lit and thus flat.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
The Sun is higher in my shot though so the shadows being cast are different - that's likely masking some of the detail in the Remaster shot.

Possible. But the leafs on the left side really look alot worse and have less details.
Cant even blame YT compression for that imo.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

They've also redone the tone mapping to facilitate HDR, so there are going to be some tonal adjustments between the 2. We can see this as the newer one is a bit more contrasty

Dreadmoth

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Last edited:

Froz3n

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Grabbed from video.

Original
50061758422_a478a87220_k.jpg

Remastered
50060948253_18b3187fe4_k.jpg

It's like they took the dynamic range slider and slid it down to zero. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE LIGHTING? Literally everywhere looks wrong. I don't see how this can be running with SVOGI or whatever they claim this has. Prophet's face looks to have zero subsurface scattering and the suit looks verrryyy weirdly lit. Hopefully it's just broken or something and will be fixed...

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Did they say how much raytracing to expect in the PC version? As mundane as the console version may look, a bunch of raytracing effects could make it look a look a lot better. Even Minecraft can look way better with the RTX mode:

BlissfulSnarlingAtlanticbluetang-size_restricted.gif
I was expecting physically based rendering, which this kind of ray tracing needs to work. Based on what we've seen now, it doesn't look like they've added PBR, which is the main thing making this look last gen.

Look, I'll take Crysis 1 finally running well and adding HDR is going to be wonderful, but yeah, I was hoping the visual improvements would be more evident given the list of modern features they touted.

Froz3n

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Is it possible they literally took the X360 version as a base to remaster and not the PC one? That would be a mistake of epic proportions...

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Is it possible they literally took the X360 version as a base to remaster and not the PC one? That would be a mistake of epic proportions...

seeing the reduced amount of distance details and less detailed foliage compared to the almost 13 yyear old original PC version... I could imagine that.

maybe they did alot of work getting the game on console back then and it was easier for them to port that version to the new cryengine.

Oct 25, 2017
I also prefer the original in these comparisons. But if it has TAA and I can actually hold 60fps with my PC, all is forgiven. I need this.

Better alien combat would be the dream, but I never actually expected gameplay changes. Even dreaded them, when it comes to streamlining suit powers.

Froz3n

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
seeing the reduced amount of distance details and less detailed foliage compared to the almost 13 yyear old original PC version... I could imagine that.

maybe they did alot of work getting the game on console back then and it was easier for them to port that version to the new cryengine.

If so, it'll likely be missing the "ascension" level (I think it was called) that the consoles had to cut due to CPU constraints...

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
The silver lining to me is at least people will stop saying crazy things like "Crysis (original, not crazy modded) looks amazing in 2020".

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remaster has much more attractive lighting, PBR materials, better shadows, reflections, TAA (finally can play Crysis with good antialiasing and not tank performance), but people only focus on the few bad things. O well. Hopefully DF video will do this Remaster justice.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017

jna0k2.png

The LOD versions of the trees in the remaster lack selfshadowing(dunno if baked in or not).
ANd there seems to be less of them in general in the distance.
Could just be that they load in when you get closer.
Thats the biggest difference I see apart from the fog seeming denser and the Mountain etxtures just being different
Of course there's also the generally higher saturation.

Jul 26, 2019

jna0k2.png

I took your screenshot and tried to align it with remastered one. Lighting and shadows seems to be improved but LoD and object details seems to be reduced in the video. I assume and hope they are not showing max settings in the video.

qjvb9xv.jpg

oZkpmRK.jpg

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
The weapon models and suit modes seem to be the original ones from the PC version, so I think this should be based on the original.
Or it's a weird hodge podge of both.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The LOD versions of the trees in the remaster lack selfshadowing(dunno if baked in or not).
Thats the biggest difference I see apart from the fog seeming denser and the Mountain etxtures just being different
Tree self shadowing is clearly in the remaster. Check other screenshots. And why aren't you seeing that ALL foliage, including each idividual grass blade casts shadow in remaster, but no so in original one. I swear, people LOVE to only look at negatives and ignore positives.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
The silver lining to me is at least people will stop saying crazy things like "Crysis (original, not crazy modded) looks amazing in 2020".
I was thinking that haha. There was mentions in the trailer teaser thread of Crysis being proof of diminishing returns but the moment to moment visuals of vanilla crysis are pretty underwhelming these days tbh. Beyond a few specific scenes and some really high res models/textures it's kind of ugly at times.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I took your screenshot and tried to align it with remastered one. Lighting and shadows seems to be improved but LoD and object details seems to be reduced in the video. I assume and hope they are not showing max settings in the video.
Last_colossi 's shot above makes for a better comparison now since it's closer in terms of time of day.