• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This is the dumbest move imaginable. Wow. Imagine threatening a community member because of a fucking photo mode mod.

More info from the modder

OtisInf

Oct 27, 2017
Such an unfortunate there exist an EULA for that, to not provide any mod on their games. It's not about to provide the custom or modded game data, but the camera tool itself that read/tampered their games, along with rules and agreement that came with it.

As for camera tool modder, I guess he just have to follow their instructions and then, he could choose to never have/do any mod for their games ever.
(I'm the person who made the camera tools and received their lovely email)
My suspicion is that they think I distribute some of their assets as the page they linked to seems to talk about that. But I do nothing of the sort, I only distribute my own code, none of theirs, no assets of any kind. The tools change code at runtime in memory, which is the same as running MSI Afterburner which hooks into the game for instance. The adjustments are solely done to be able to take screenshots from the game (I reenable 3rd person view too, which is in the game code to begin with, not sure if they're mad about that lol :D ).
What strikes me the most is that they didn't even ask first, like "Hey we saw you distribute a mod for our game, but are you distributing any of our assets?" (which is something I can understand), but they went into full offense mode.

I don't understand what their end goal is, to be honest. I do this now for a long time and I got nothing but support/praise from publishers and devs for my work. My photomode mods are usable in over 350 games (the Unreal Engine Unlocker alone in over 320 games), it's not new or anything :)

We'll see. I've replied back with questions which parts of the EULA I apparently violate (as I'm a EU citizen and EULAs aren't binding) and explained I don't distribute anything from theirs. It's a bit tiring tho.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck are they thinking?

Crytek keeps making the weirdest decisions on the planet.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
My suspicion is that they think I distribute some of their assets as the page they linked to seems to talk about that. But I do nothing of the sort, I only distribute my own code, none of theirs, no assets of any kind. The tools change code at runtime in memory, which is the same as running MSI Afterburner which hooks into the game for instance. The adjustments are solely done to be able to take screenshots from the game (I reenable 3rd person view too, which is in the game code to begin with, not sure if they're mad about that lol :D ).
What strikes me the most is that they didn't even ask first, like "Hey we saw you distribute a mod for our game, but are you distributing any of our assets?" (which is something I can understand), but they went into full offense mode.

I don't understand what their end goal is, to be honest. I do this now for a long time and I got nothing but support/praise from publishers and devs for my work. My photomode mods are usable in over 350 games (the Unreal Engine Unlocker alone in over 320 games), it's not new or anything :)

We'll see. I've replied back with questions which parts of the EULA I apparently violate (as I'm a EU citizen and EULAs aren't binding) and explained I don't distribute anything from theirs. It's a bit tiring tho.

Just wanted to say sorry you're dealing with this and appreciate all the work you've done. Community made photo modes/tools on PC are some of the coolest things from the mod scene and they should continue to flourish. Hopefully the knucklehead legal people from Crytek realize you're not doing anything wrong and back off. Best wishes.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
We need to just rename it to 'Free Social-Media Advertising Mode', maybe they'll get a clue.

Nov 1, 2017
shoot.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
A smarter company would work with OtisInf to incorporate the tools and get feedback into ways of making the photo experience even better in their games. Photo modes are essentially free advertising.

That's crazy, really.

I hope this somehow blows up in their face spectacularly. Like they get a lot of bad press, one of the higher ups sees this, and is like "Adam from PR did WHAT??""

It's extremely unlikely this came from PR and not from higher ups/legal.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this somehow blows up in their face spectacularly. Like they get a lot of bad press, one of the higher ups sees this, and is like "Adam from PR did WHAT??""

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if they're just salty that you're using Patreon and are thus "making money" off Crysis, even though you're making tools for hundreds of other games too.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's most likely the case. They don't want anyone else profiting off anything involving their game. They probably also don't think there's a ton of people posting screenshots of their game either, so much loss in free advertising. Their games just aren't all that popular.

I still don't see how this is worth the effort.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
What a stupid-ass move.

Crytek should probably worry more about making sure they don't stop paying their employees again...

Jul 7, 2021
I don't see how a EULA matters in this case anyway. It protects the forward ow er from having to offer you support or give you access to the software but in most cases that's it.

He's not really using the software he's offering tools that interact with it, and those tools to do not include any part of that software.

I don't think they can really do anything.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think they actually targeted you from distributing the modified game files, which your camera tools certainly don't have, function or provide something like that.

I read the agreement site they provided from letter and Crytek possibly look at your camera tool as one of 'unauthorized software programs' that has been created, developed, distributed, or used to interfere with the outcome and/or the course of the gameplay of (Crysis) games.

I don't play Crysis Trilogy Remastered, but I believe they don't come with their own Photo Mode equivalent feature and possibly no Nvidia Ansel support? Which means, the games don't offer players to move the camera freely or using unlimited timespeed or camera paths in gameplay or/and cutscenes.
So, they also possibly think the camera tool itself, without any authorization as mentioned above, change the way of how the games work than intended.

At least this is how I understand after checking the related stuff. Their (Crytek) further reason might be different and maybe you will get even more clear answer
from them once they replied to you.

If you can sort this out with Crytek, while having your camera tools kept without being removed, that would be great and I just hope all the best.

OtisInf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play Crysis Trilogy Remastered, but I believe they don't come with their own Photo Mode equivalent feature and possibly no Nvidia Ansel support? Which means, the games don't offer players to move the camera freely or using unlimited timespeed or camera paths in gameplay or/and cutscenes.
So, they also possibly think the camera tool itself, without any authorization as mentioned above, change the way of how the games work than intended.
That they have a different opinion about this is clear, but that doesn't mean it's reason to threaten someone with legal action.

If you can sort this out with Crytek, while having your camera tools kept without being removed, that would be great and I just hope all the best.
Sadly, nope.

I've pulled the two cameras, as they stay with their stance and I have no energy/time to fight them over tools that benefit them. Removing them hurts them the most as no free advertising online. My write up:

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
I'm old enough to remember when they were raided for using pirated software to make far cry, kind of ironic they'd consider this a bridge too far.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
"People being able to take beautiful pictures of our games and post them on social media for free is bad, actually."

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
What morons. Looks like I'm done with Crytek. I wish them the best in their future endeavors.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most Galaxy Brain actions by a developers legal team I have ever seen.

At least the legal shenanigans from Rockstar made financial sense: they were releasing remastered versions, and having mods that made the old versions look prettier than their subpar remaster freely available is bad for business.

But this mod allows people to produce phenomenal screenshots of their games. It keeps people talking about them. It's just fucking bizarre.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being a PR executive at a corporation and thinking customers posting cool looking images of your products on their social media is something that needs to stop immediately with open and aggressive legal action.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017

You patient as a saint, my dude. Excellent work you're doing - keep it up

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The PR guy is just the messenger; these kind of [stupid] decisions are taken by legal after someone high up in the chain flags it to them.

Yep. PR people are the folks that sometimes have to take bad news or shitty decisions made by upper management and make it as palatable as possible to the public and and at the same time, they catch all the blowback from it.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not surprised, some games might have or plan to have their own photo tools through which they do some social-media-ish stuff, ads, or even NFT stuff and don't want competition. Who knows though.

OP
OP
Rumenapp

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Good thing that i don't care about Crysis and i'm not interested in Hunt Showdown.

This makes sure that i'm not tempted in buying the trilogy when it's on sale.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Just wanted to say sorry you are going through this and your photo mods are dope as hell

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Insane thing to waste your time taking down.