• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yes but its presented with energetic music and a guy who sounds excited. He even says people want to go to the city despite its problems. Think people were expecting the whole thing to be cut in a way that evokes hopelessness and depression like the first trailer. You can have a bunch of killing and still feel a bit more optimistic, just look at all of the call of duty trailers.

I think it was meant to be ironic. The trailer deliberately set out to create dissonance between what the player character was saying and what was occurring on screen.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Rewatching the trailer, and it pretty much cinematically showcases the multiple classes and the various activities and you can do in Night City. There's likely even more to see.
I need to see some of that gameplay or at the very least the write-up's from the press that got to see the behind-closed-doors demo.

The potential options and customization have me pretty excited, I likely spend an hour alone just creating my character at the start.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about the cyberpunk universe. But this looks great- I'm sure there will be plenty of cool night and day scenes. I just don't want to be too garish ala sunset overdrive (as much as I love the game)

But I won't lie- my biggest disappointment is that they didn't get the shadow run license instead:)

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I think it was meant to be ironic. The trailer deliberately set out to create dissonance between what the player character was saying and what was occurring on screen.
Except the first thing he says is how terrible things are and that most of the good is an illusion. Once more, I'll say I think it's mostly the delivery and the latter portion.

Mike Pondsmith should've narrated the fucking thing and they should've made a create-a-character based on him for it.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I apologize if this has been posted - it's too good

No way... Was that a reference to.....??? THIS GAVE ME THE CHILLS. HOLY FUCK.

CDPR would be foolish to pass up the pr win here.

GUNSHIP would be perfect! I love their stuff.

I also loved the Dredd Soundtrack. That was EXTREMELY gritty industrial and... I don't know. I would never listen to something like that for relaxation, but when I heard it in the film when they are going to Peach Tree. It's hard not to get pumped.

I LOVE THIS FILM SO MUCH. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE TV SHOW. Although, it also begs the question of where post-apocalyptic becomes cyberpunk?

The whole idea of humans living in mega blocks and all the problems with that. It sounds like a scenario we could explore in CB2077.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It also tells you the type of person that the player is. One where all this death and mayhem and violence on display is just an opportunity for a "big dreamer" like the player. I mean, is that not right in line with the capitalism-taken-to-its-worst-extremes themes of cyberpunk? It's one thing to watch a cyberpunk world onscreen, another to be an inhabitant and uses its vices and opportunities to your advantage

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
Never heard of them, what are they known for? First google result came up with some GTA video.
They've made a track with John Carpenter and some music for Ready Player One (?), I'd say they're pretty relevant in the synthwave genre.

Still waiting to hear if Perturbator is involved in any capacity, since he said he couldn't talk about it.

Edit: It was inspired by RPO, not used for the movie.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also tells you the type of person that the player is. One where all this death and mayhem and violence on display is just an opportunity for a "big dreamer" like the player. I mean, is that not right in line with the capitalism-taken-to-its-worst-extremes themes of cyberpunk? It's one thing to watch a cyberpunk world onscreen, another to be an inhabitant and uses its vices and opportunities to your advantage
It's perfect for a hire/gun/solo player. But that's just one aspect of the game world, i mean we got CD saying themselves to ignore the chase scene and showcase of all the gun play. Because that won't be the whole experience in Night City.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Still waiting to hear if Perturbator is involved in any capacity, since he said he couldn't talk about it.

Even still, I have faith the sound team at CDPR will bring some fucking awesome music to 2077 after TW3's soundtrack. If they choose to collaborate, I'm sure they'll get somebody who rocks.

Last edited:

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
https://youtu.be/xWBtqmxzlCo

Here's an edit Perturbator made for the original CG trailer back in 2013 featuring his music. Needless to say, he'd be a perfect fit.

Even still, I have faith the sound team CDPR will bring some fucking awesome music to 2077 after TW3's soundtrack. If they choose to collaborate, I'm sure they'll get somebody who rocks.

Rats. I checked his Twitter last night in hopes he'd drop a sly hint but I obviously missed this. :(

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I think you could have sunlight and still satisfy the people who are disappointed in this thread. To me the thing thats a bit off is the tone of the trailer is a little too optimistic and spunky. People were hoping for more dark and edgy stuff. You can do that with sunlight.

I think a twisted sense of optimism is exactly what they're trying to show here. The narrator frames this as a city of people detached from the fact that they live the worst city in the country because they are propped up by dreams and illusions.

gamerman

Oct 27, 2017
In-engine. Basically it's made using the engine the game is running on. But not captured from gameplay, and could probably also change between now and launch, kinda like Witcher 3 did.
That wasn't a CGI trailer....it was in-engine, npc character models even pop in and out in a few scenes.More hot takes..

The game will look like that, it's in engine. It's basically the game heavy polished with scripted scenes playing out. The final product won't look much different than that. If they wanted to go with CGI it would look as stunning as Elder Scrolls Online trailers.

It's not CGI, it's in-engine.It's not CGI, it's in-engine.

This isn't a fucking cgi trailer. These comments should be instant infractions at this point.

You are right, it is technically not CG but it's a pre-rendered cutscene using the game's engine. A lot of people get confused but inengine doesn't necessarily mean realtime. When something is inengine but not realtime, you can jack up all the setting with no real penalty since you are rendering each frame out to a video file. It would never run in real time on current hardware. You can put in more dynamic lights, use more complicated shaders, crank up the polygon count, add more particle effects, turn up screen space reflection, turn up the resolutions on shadow maps, and use super sampling AA with no penalty. Then you render out each frame and play it back as a video as a cutscene.

Here's a simple tutorial how the render an inengine scene to a prerendered video file in Unreal. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Sequencer/HowTo/RenderMovies.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

You articulated it better than I would have but this is right in line with what I was thinking. It's supposed to be a bit off putting to the viewer but the player character is a part of that universe and to an extent is conditioned by it and as someone who has a talent for violence he does see opportunity for upward mobility. As a cyberpunk world I doubt that luxury is afforded to people who are not capable of violence or manipulating people.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You are right, it is technically not CG but it's a pre-rendered cutscene using the game's engine. A lot of people get confused but inengine doesn't necessarily mean realtime. When something is inengine but not realtime, you can jack up all the setting with no real penalty since you are rendering each frame out to a video file. It would never run in real time on current hardware
There was a post earlier in the thread that pointed out glitches and bugs with NPCs in the background of scenes, which makes me lean towards not being prerendered.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Preface: love the trailer and the art style, CDPR is hitting it out of the park imo. Saw some of the mockups people had been doing and I was itching to give it a shot too. Thought it share it.

2077night.png
I'm going to be honest, what the hell is the point of a mockup like this? The lighting makes zero sense, it doesn't even look like night time.
It looks closer to dusk/dawn more so than anything. If they were going for that, then they nailed it.

The trailer showcases the city at different points of the day to the emphasize the passage of time.

gamerman

Oct 27, 2017
There was a post earlier in the thread that pointed out glitches and bugs with NPCs in the background of scenes, which makes me lean towards not being prerendered.

It's is prerendered just like the original Witcher 3 debut, which was built using the engine but prerendered to a video file with maximum settings. The actual game took a big hit in terms of lighting,shadowing, shaders, and AA because they couldn't use nearly unlimited resources like they did with the trailer.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay showing anywhere even during PC conference. So either they are going to show it during Sony conference or it is no show for all.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of music, I'd really love it if CD Projekt got in touch with Front 242 and had them do something for the game. Front 242's music is still quite unique to this day even though there are a lot of other EBM bands to come out after them none of them really nailed that style like Front 242 did.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Speaking of music, I'd really love it if CD Projekt got in touch with Front 242 and had them do something for the game. Front 242's music is still quite unique to this day even though there are a lot of other EBM bands to come out after them none of them really nailed that style like Front 242 did.

I'm hoping for a diverse soundtrack too. One of my hopes is that there is an honest-to-god mini punk rock show you can find kind of like the bards who perform Percival in TW3.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose my frustration with the disappointment is not that I feel people aren't entitled to respond however they wish (if you're disappointed, you're disappointed!), more the skewered expectations related to the genre and CDPR's intentions with the titles alongside the lack of at least a little bit of faith in their vision. It's why myself and others have cited earlier concept art dating right back to the announcement, the current imagery reflecting that style perfectly, alongside the diversity within the cyberpunk genre and how it's not all smoky neon lit streets and brooding neo noir undertones. And why Cyberpunk 2077 table top is routinely cited as the main source of inspiration...because it strictly is and literally why this game exists, and how that punk element is still a heavy thematic element, something CDPR have been openly candid on. And also why sequences and snippets from an incredibly diverse trailer are shown to demonstrate largely what the Blade Runner crowd do want - dark nights, neon bloom, and corporate warfare.

Perhaps people wanted something very deadpan serious in the same way that The Witcher usually is, instead of that underscore of satire and mania. And that's where I feel the GTA vibe feels apt, given that's the tonal focus of that series too. I can dig that. I can understand that if you wanted literally Deus Ex or Blade Runner in tonal mood this trailer is really everything but. It's action heavy and it's wild cyberpunk. The neo noir void still needs to be filled, and it's not majorly evident here.

But I also think of CDPR have earned anything it's the benefit of the doubt in handling thematic diversity. Regardless of influence, there's no doubt Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be drawing from a vast scope of genre influence. So yes, while sometimes it'll be bright and sunny and the streets will be scattered with cyber punks, and there will probably be social satire and wild gunfights and a general sense of total cases. I'm also certain there will be a more than a enough moments drenched in brooding nighttime neo noir, techhead hackers docking into systems made of shambled technology, and intricate corporate politics underlining the overall plot.

The Witcher 3 has quests ranging from tragic to hilarious. Moments where you're hunting ancient arcane beasts in dreary wilderness to helping a man fetch his donkey. I've tracked a serial killer, and starred in a play. I do want to see a lot more of Cyberpunk 2077 than what they're showing here and I want more specifics on the quest tones (particularly the main quest). But I'm going to CDPR the benefit of the doubt that whatever their constructing is going to be dense with content diversity and that Blade Runner-esque neo noir is certain to be in there somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably because I just don't follow many cyberpunk artists but every time I see this guy in the trailer I get strong Dubu Haishen and JOR vibes.

e3_cyberpunk2077_momeywxpx.jpg

dobu-haishen-jordiros-2.jpeg

Anyone else get this? Does anyone else here even know who they are?... lol

Also, this friggin jacket man. I hope I live to see clothing that can light up like this become popular in real life... Or even just be a thing at all.

e3_cyberpunk2077_jackvwy14.jpg

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably because I just don't follow many cyberpunk artists but every time I see this guy in the trailer I get strong Dubu Haishen and JOR vibes.

e3_cyberpunk2077_momeywxpx.jpg

dobu-haishen-jordiros-2.jpeg

Anyone else get this? Does anyone else here even know who they are?... lol

Also, this friggin jacket man. I hope I live to see clothing that can light up like this become popular in real life... Or even just be a thing at all.

e3_cyberpunk2077_jackvwy14.jpg

Someone is going to make that jacket.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
So I see a lot of people say that this gave them a "futuristic GTA vibe" as though it's a bad thing...

Can anyone who said this explain to me why this is a bad thing? I got the GTA vibe from the one single clip and I suppose you could get GTA vibes from the idea of an Open World city game but I think that's about where the similarities end. Even so, if it has similarities to GTA is that such a bad thing? Although yes I do hope it's more than "drive here - do that mission, drive there - do this mission, drive all the way over there - talk to someone then drive back and kill someone". I don't know if it can be more than that though haha. I guess all we can do is wait and see... let me cartman my way to release date please.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I think my greatest issue when I first saw this was the protagonist's voice. It sounds so generic.

The world also looked a bit meh in the stream, but looks much better in 4K. I was like, this is probably a 10hour game with a series of "plot" in between shooting sequences.

Wrong. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.