• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I find pop-in can be more noticeable at night when there's lots of lights and stuff.

Witcher 3 also had some terrible LODs, at least tho on PC you can mod them a bit.

edit yea the SSR looks pretty good, little of the weird corruption you often see with it. MUCH better than the terrible SSR in Witcher 3

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
["Adrifi, post: 51805295, member: 51636"]
No, there is noticeable popping. You can see the yellow walk pop up.
Could be a "cyberpunk" thing also. We have seen alot of footage walk over that have some lights in it and turn colours when to walk. believe the first footage gameplay wise had it also ones the walk out into the city.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I find pop-in can be more noticeable at night when there's lots of lights and stuff.

Witcher 3 also had some terrible LODs, at least tho on PC you can mod them a bit.

edit yea the SSR looks pretty good, little of the weird corruption you often see with it. MUCH better than the terrible SSR in Witcher 3
See this is what I mean. I have 3 full playthroughs of Witcher 3 and I never really noticed the pop-ins despite how often people mention it. The game is still the best game I have ever played for me.

I'm not saying you are wrong btw. I had just mentioned on the previous page that I never really notice popping and you mentioning Witcher 3 gave me the perfect example of what I meant.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
no. They get asked about it frequently and just suggest it's time of day and location dependent... but somehow don't manage to find it for footage

I think it's pretty obvious it's a limitation of the hardware.

The PS5 and Series X|S versions next year will likely have massive improvements in car/NPC density (and perhaps even behavior).

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
I really hope the game is playable on OG xbox. Even if it looks like total trash as long as it's playable. I have a friend with a really tight money situation stuck with an OG xbox and he messages me about this game all the time. Dude deserves a fun game to play it's been a tough year. As for myself i'll be waiting for the PS5 upgrade patch whenever that hits, I think it will be worth waiting to play the "better" version.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Has there been games which have way denser NPC population across different hardware?

Did Witcher 3 have a setting like that or something?

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
LoathsomeUnfoldedGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

They aren't even driving fast and the signs are popping in terribly. all the footage had like near zero density of crowds... literally empty sidewalks

This is messy

It's interesting that the only driving footage they showed from the Xbox One X version was where the car was moving at snail's pace. Considering how there's noticeable pop-in even at this speed, I wonder if asset streaming is the primary hurdle on base consoles (they do recommend an ssd on PC, after all). Days Gone had similar issues when traversing the open world on a bike.

1dwjkv.gif

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's pretty obvious it's a limitation of the hardware.

The PS5 and Series X|S versions next year will likely have massive improvements in car/NPC density (and perhaps even behavior).
All of the footage has been on PC all along except today and didn't have crowds either...
It's interesting that the only driving footage they showed from the Xbox One X version was where the car was moving at snail's pace. Considering how there's noticeable pop-in even at this speed, I wonder if asset streaming is the primary hurdle on base consoles (they do recommend an ssd on PC, after all). Days Gone had similar issues when traversing the open world on a bike.

1dwjkv.gif
It made me laugh. They moved the camera so slow and drove so slow. It was clear they were trying to disguise issues with loading and stuttering.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I only see people talking about how great it looks or the pop-in...

Am I the only one who sees crazy (micro) stutter?

Edit: go to the slow driving scene and use the [.] and [,] keys in YouTube to go through it frame by frame, it's tearing from high up the screen so it looks like stutter.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
LoathsomeUnfoldedGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

They aren't even driving fast and the signs are popping in terribly. all the footage had like near zero density of crowds... literally empty sidewalks

This is messy
Plenty of people walking around in other areas of the footage. Dense crowds can be nice, but they'ren ot really necessary if they don't affect gameplay. Pop-in has been used in games since like forever. It's definitely noticeable but I don't see how it's "messy".

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Plenty of people walking around in other areas of the footage. Dense crowds can be nice, but they'ren ot really necessary if they don't affect gameplay. Pop-in has been used in games since like forever. It's definitely noticeable but I don't see how it's "messy".

I think that gif looks pretty good, nice style, but I do get the impression that the game has various levels of quality, sometimes I think the game looks great and other times it doesn't look so hot.

The writing, isn't too my style (would prefer more serious tone), but perhaps when your not just playing it in bits like in the video that it feels better. Unfortunately I'm feeling like games are trying to be more funny/stupid/crazy (WatchDogs for example), when I would just prefer something more serious.... perhaps I'm just getting old.

Still, I'm looking forward to playing this on PS5 rather than last gen, which I think it isn't going to run at a stable 30... hope its not too bad, but you do wonder when the Series X car is going full pelt and the XBX they drive it extremely slowly...lol

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pop in is a technical flaw caused by poor or delayed LOD transitions. It's not used intentionally and games have come really far trying to eliminate it - that's one of the prime benefits discussed by devs for SSD use. RDR2 did amazing at hiding pop in for the world and cities. Cyberpunk has bad pop in in the city and the desert.

And the areas with crowds are still very sparse compared to the original reveal promotion with the mass crowd. They set the tone and have yet to clarify if we should stop expecting that footage to be a good sense of the busy crowds. So far all footage since then suggests they lost the density and are just being coy saying we haven't seen it again due to "time of day and location."

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It has been mentioned - they clearly moved the camera and car ludicrously slow, even for demo footage, to hide this.
Ok, thanks, I've searched for it now and seen other comments now too.

Honestly, I could live with the pop-in, but... Usually I'm not so tearing sensitive at 60fps, but with the tearing mostly doubling frames at 30fps, which are perceived as stutter... I couldn't play this. This is not me being snobby, I can play games at unlocked framerates moving between 40 and 55fps mostly ok, but what is shown here would kill me. Even if I got used to it, I would get massive headaches.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I only see people talking about how great it looks or the pop-in...

Am I the only one who sees crazy (micro) stutter?

Edit: go to the slow driving scene and use the [.] and [,] keys in YouTube to go through it frame by frame, it's tearing from high up the screen so it looks like stutter.
Ok, so I felt sick while watching this and had to stop. Is this the reason why? It's just aggressively uncomfortable to watch for some reason and I'm not even that much a FPS snob.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
...just being coy saying we haven't seen it again due to "time of day and location."

That came mostly from previews written from that hands-on events. Press noting that time of day, location and if player was in vehicle affected crowds. Some also noted being very impressed with density.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know anything about the ps5 version yet? Is it just going to be the pro version given they haven't added much to next gen yet?

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

1dwjkv.gif
the frame rate on the one x looks like in 20's here. and the car is indeed moving slow. imagine how it's going to run and look on the original xbox one, or ps4.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I hope DF does some analysis on this footage, or after PS footage is also released.

Do we know anything about the ps5 version yet? Is it just going to be the pro version given they haven't added much to next gen yet?

It will be same as this case. In PS5's case it's PS4 version running on it via BC.

Next-gen patch is coming in 2021.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Pop in is a technical flaw caused by poor or delayed LOD transitions. It's not used intentionally and games have come really far trying to eliminate it - that's one of the prime benefits discussed by devs for SSD use. RDR2 did amazing at hiding pop in for the world and cities. Cyberpunk has bad pop in in the city and the desert.

And the areas with crowds are still very sparse compared to the original reveal promotion with the mass crowd. They set the tone and have yet to clarify if we should stop expecting that footage to be a good sense of the busy crowds. So far all footage since then suggests they lost the density and are just being coy saying we haven't seen it again due to "time of day and location."
Pop in isn't a technical flaw. It is a performance management technique and depending on your engine, visuals, AI, etc. you can use it more or less. Sure it would be better without but let's not pretend that the pop-in isn't there for a reason. Without it you would have a terrible framerate.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's not just the One X footage that is tearing and stuttering. The Series X footage has it too.

Go to 2:50 when the car is taking a turn, go through it frame by frame with the [ , ] and [ . ] keys and the distance the car covers is very uneven => framepacing issues. There are also some double-frames in there. Had they driven the turn faster, this would likely not have been noticeable due to motion blur effects that are usually used to mask quick camera turns.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
cannot believe it looks like that on One X. Wow. Still want to see it on a base One/PS4 just out of curiosity.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, couldn't resist and took a peek at console footage.

If they really had to put grandma behind the wheel of XOX footage, I'm starting to believe another delay may be imminent, that, or disaster of a port on current-gen consoles.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If they really had to put grandma behind the wheel of XOX footage, I'm starting to believe another delay may be imminent, that, or disaster of a port on current-gen consoles.

I don't think that's possible (but then I didn't think it was possible at the 3rd delay), some marketing material has been sent out and disks are starting to appear in the wild - Apparently, so it looks like December is happening. Lets hope they can do a good day 1 patch, but you'd think they'd be running the latest patch for any video they make... yikes.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

I don't think there is amount of delays that can 100% salvage current-gen version performance, at least not without them downgrading and gutting out games systems.

disks are starting to appear in the wild

Receipts on that? Other than that mockup case for shelves, which isn't indicator of game copies being out there.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's possible (but then I didn't think it was possible at the 3rd delay), some marketing material has been sent out and disks are starting to appear in the wild - Apparently, so it looks like December is happening. Lets hope they can do a good day 1 patch, but you'd think they'd be running the latest patch for any video they make... yikes.
Not usually. These vids can be made a while ago

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
I really want them to at least give us a time frame for the next-gen patch release. I wouldn't mind waiting till spring, but past that, it would be even harder to avoid spoilers and gameplay surprises.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
It's not just the One X footage that is tearing and stuttering. The Series X footage has it too.

Go to 2:50 when the car is taking a turn, go through it frame by frame with the [ , ] and [ . ] keys and the distance the car covers is very uneven => framepacing issues. There are also some double-frames in there. Had they driven the turn faster, this would likely not have been noticeable due to motion blur effects that are usually used to mask quick camera turns.

I noticed that too. There is stuttering in the whole video, including the Series X footage. It isn't smooth at all.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think there is amount of delays that can 100% salvage current-gen version performance, at least not without them downgrading and gutting out games systems.

Receipts on that? Other than that mockup case for shelves, which isn't indicator of game copies being out there.

It was some gaming site, it could just be rubbish reporting...in fact just googled it and saw part of the image the gaming site used on some Indonesian site (full size image) and you are right, looks like marketing stuff (cardboard box).

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pop in isn't a technical flaw. It is a performance management technique and depending on your engine, visuals, AI, etc. you can use it more or less. Sure it would be better without but let's not pretend that the pop-in isn't there for a reason. Without it you would have a terrible framerate.
Pop in is a flaw. LOD management is the technique of lower details that are further away in a disguised manner. Pop in is the term for when it transitions poorly and the effect is no longer invisible or unnoticed to players. Games try to eliminate pop in. Nobody thinks games are trying to eliminate LOD management.

Nobody says pop in as a positive phrase, but LOD is a perfectly neutral technical element of games. Pop in is a flaw and games like RDR2 have minimized it beautifully while having plenty of LOD management and scaling.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Pop in is a flaw. LOD management is the technique of lower details that are further away in a disguised manner. Pop in is the term for when it transitions poorly and the effect is no longer invisible or unnoticed to players. Games try to eliminate pop in. Nobody thinks games are trying to eliminate LOD management.

Nobody says pop in as a positive phrase, but LOD is a perfectly neutral technical element of games. Pop in is a flaw and games like RDR2 have minimized it beautifully while having plenty of LOD management and scaling.
Call it what you want but it is intended behavior from the devs to maximize frames. Like I said in my previous post games are built on different engines, have different AI, etc. Just because one developer is able to minimize the appearance of pop-in doesn't mean all of them can do it because different games prioritize different things. Comparing something like Red Dead which has much slower travel due to horses versus cars in Cyberpunk isn't really a good comparison even if the games were 1:1 in terms of what they were prioritizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.