• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Golgotterath

Nov 21, 2020
I absolutely love this game. I cannot get enough of it. Yes, problems do exist. I've been lucky that I haven't run into any bugs, but I am on a high end PC (i9 9900KS with a 3090).

The atmosphere is amazing. I have 18 hours and haven't even finished act 1. Just keep walking and driving around doing gigs and making money. Even had some great side stories. I almost never shoot at all. Stealth and hack my way around. If I do get caught, it's blades baby. Playing on very hard so I am more or less forced to play stealth first since I don't have too much health as I haven't spent many points in body.

I said it 50 pages ago, but I really think that if every person here didn't look at reddit, era, anything, you'd enjoy the game a lot more. That isn't to say there are not very fair critisms of the game (no driving AI? Come on!), but I think critic reviews are so high (still 90/100 MC) because of them all playing it early. If one starts reading all the very niche, specific, enthusiast negative takes one starts leting that deep into enjoyment.

Anecdotally, but the vast majority of my friends are loving the game. From base PS4 to high end PCs. They just don't know what they are missing by playing it on the base PS4. Does not excuse the shit show that it is truly is, but honestly people don't care that much widely.

I feel the same way. 30 hours in so far, and with the right hardware (playing on a 3080) this game is insanely impressive. That recent DigitalFoundry video where they're talking about this being the most impressive and demanding game currently available on PC is on the money. It's also made clearly with the PC in mind, which unfortunately isn't something you see that often anymore. It reminds me of old releases like Operation Flashpoint, the original Deus: Ex and Mafia - games that were difficult to run at high frames, but were pushing the limits of what's graphically possible.

When everything works, and you see the city with it's bizarre amounts of fidelity, it really is jaw dropping. Combine this with solid combat mechanics (I hated TW3's combat) and a main story that's OK in execution but elevated by it's atmosphere, animations and solid voice acting (except for Keanu..) and you have a game that for me is really something special.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
So I intended to play through the game without killing anyone/stealth etc., etc., but I get the feeling the game thinks taht is pretty niche and tries to bandaid it by just having gun damage magically not kill people ("non-lethal" ammo elemental type, essentially). You are thrown into multiple on-rails gun sequences you have to either shoot or die in in less than hour of gameplay. The vast majority of perks do not support this playstyle either.

So is it even worth it to continue like this for those of you have seen more of the game? Or should I just try a different gunplay approach and save myself the frustration? When is the earliest you can nab some non-lethal sniper rifles/guns?
I did tons of side gigs earlier on and most of them allowed me to stealth them, there were some ocassional missions that put you in arena/boss like battles so you definitely can't stealth EVERYTHING.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Are gigs worth doing (and are they limited? Instead of never ending?) Or completely optional side stuff that just gives some xp and stuff. I've done a few but since they don't really have any story wondering if I should continue doing them. Don't like infinite content like that.

Been clearing up my side quests finally because main game just keeps going hard lol. Love this game.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
The marketing of this game was all wrong.

This should have been marketed as a linear style action adventure with open world elements ala tlou2.

Then people's expectations would have been set up properly.

This is actually a pretty good point and I'm wondering if that's why I'm enjoying it so much. I much prefer linear over open world so the main quests in this game are really resonating with me. The open world is very pretty to look at it, but I'm totally OK with it feeling "empty" at times because the main quest storytelling and set pieces are what I'm here for.

Are gigs worth doing (and are they limited? Instead of never ending?) Or completely optional side stuff that just gives some xp and stuff. I've done a few but since they don't really have any story wondering if I should continue doing them. Don't like infinite content like that.

Been clearing up my side quests finally because main game just keeps going hard lol. Love this game.

I've actually been wondering this too - anyone have any idea what stuff is "infinite spawning" content, and which isn't? I know the yellow side quests are finite, but what about things (I forgot what they're called) with the baseball bat icon, you kind of raid a small hideout and then there is a cache chest at the end.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the Steam reviews (79%) this seems like the most expensive eurojank game ever made.

Seeing as I love eurojank I would be all for this, but CDPR has just been the shittiest company over the past year.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
your CPU constrained.

Thought that too.but since most people seem to.have this problem regardless of CPU I think its a driver or engine Problem.
My 8700k doesnt get maxed out but in certain areas like in the one where the apartment is located I sometimes have serious framedrops. Also there seems to be a memory leak because I lose about 10fps after 1-2 hours with my GPU usage going from.99% at aession start to 89 after 1-2 hours.

The game is just not optimized. Especially when you turn your camera while driving it drops alot in that area.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Crown density is higher on xbox versions.

Schermafbeelding_2020-12-12_172052.png
Even during performance mode?

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I did tons of side gigs earlier on and most of them allowed me to stealth them, there were some ocassional missions that put you in arena/boss like battles so you definitely can't stealth EVERYTHING.

Yeah that was my main worry. Its like the original release of DE: Human Revolution all over again with their boss fights then? When the devs stated you could complete the game without killing anyone I pressed X to doubt like it was a quicktime event in an early 2000s game. Still wanted to give it a try though.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
If I wanted to achieve a rather smooth 30fps experience, setting VSync to 30 AND limiting frames to 30 would be the way to go, right?

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
Thought that too.but since most people seem to.have this problem regardless of CPU I think its a driver or engine Problem.
My 8700k doesnt get maxed out but in certain areas like in the one where the apartment is located I sometimes have serious framedrops. Also there seems to be a memory leak because I lose about 10fps after 1-2 hours with my GPU usage going from.99% at aession start to 89 after 1-2 hours.

The game is just not optimized. Especially when you turn your camera while driving it drops alot in that area.
Yeah, I went from 98% all the way down to like 60% after playing for like 3-4 hours, had to restart the game.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Certain gigs seem like they have unique rewards (either crafting 'blueprints', unique/iconic weapons, etc....) or do link into a follow-up quest (though this is rare, it's only happened 2-3 times), or, at the least, are actual 'designed' encounters with variable entrance routes, opportunities to use your perks, etc...

The blue 'police' activities like the skull/police club-baton are probably the weakest, content-wise, since they're just kill-fests.

That being said, I don't think they're infinite - I don't think I've done any repeats, save for the 'crime in progress' police badge open-world events.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
My playthrough is fucked because of a bug where V can't reload any weapon. I guess I should have just ignored ERA, close my eyes and dream of this amazing game.

Try rebinding your reload key/button and then rebind to default.
On PC I wasnt able to throw grenades and this fixed it.

But shouldnt your weapon reload automatically after its empty? Unless you are out of ammo.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I read through some of the Reddit comments. This one got me, and if it is true (seems it is), it's so disappointing.

• No NPC Day/Night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside of the player's view.
  • If an NPC is doing an action, they will do that action forever until the player moves.
  • NPCs that are not story/side quest related have one dialog reply.
  • If one NPC is assaulted, every other NPC in a large circle around the player will crouch to the floor in the same animation, even if they did not see the original assault.
  • NPCs in a car will follow a specific route. If the route is even slightly interupted, for example by your car, they will cease to move forever until you remove the obstruction.
  • NPCs in a car will not attempt to move or exit their vehicle if you assault them with bullets/another vehicle.
  • NPCs will not acknowledge the player if they run the player over with their car.
  • NPCs will not attempt to steal their vehicle back if you steal it from them.
  • NPCs will not attack you or defend themselves in any way or form, even if engaged upon with just fists.
  • Police spawn around the player's vision when the player is wanted, forever, until they attempt to hide or drive away.
  • Police to not attempt to question, warn, or arrest the player for even the smallest crime commited, for example if you bump into them or accidently enter a private area.
  • Police are incapable of driving cars and chasing the player if they drive away.
  • Police will not attack hostile targets like Gangs if they are not already doing so in an activity.
  • Police will know if the player has attacked an NPC in the middle of the badlands and spawn next to the player, without vehicles.
  • NPCs will rarely thank or acknowledge the player if they are helped by the player.
  • Scripted NPCs that have dialog will say their dialog then proceed to stand there forever. They will also repeat the same dialog if the player leaves the area and visits again later.
No interactivity with pretty much anything as well. Can't sit down to have a bite to eat from street vendors. Can't go into most doors, can't play arcades. No mini games, no unique events (not quests) or interesting NPC AI. I guess this is more Metro Exodus with some Deus Ex mixed in vs what a lot of folks were hoping.

I am going to still keep my Best Buy physical copy since it came with a steelbook and wound up being about $40 for me, but with a 1080Ti I am going to wait for a few more optimization patches. Although I am kind of tempted to return it (haven't opened it).

Yep, all true; Spent a good hour or so roaming around a specific area and it really did feel like I was in a poor simulation of a simulation.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man I am having so much fun playing through the main story quests as a Netrunner. What the game does well it does extremely well. But then you step out of that bubble and into the open world and it starts to crumble. It really feels like they put all of their efforts into the Story and main gameplay beats and didn't have enough time to focus on everything else. This game could've been something special if they weren't as optimistic with the release date and just had more time to flesh out the rest of the game. So much wasted potential.

The marketing of this game was all wrong.

This should have been marketed as a linear style action adventure with open world elements ala tlou2.

Then people's expectations would have been set up properly.

Also this. In it's current state it works way better as a linear narrative driven RPG/Action Adventure game as the open world elements just feel tacked on to please the shareholders or whatever

PERK7NZ

Sep 1, 2018
I kind of don't believe you as that isn't the typical performance at all for a 2080 in reviews/performance analysis/forum posts anywhere.

Psycho RT and completely maxed a 3080 is doing like 65-70 average.

Ultra RTX will do 70-80s pretty typically.

You either have settings turned down or you aren't noticing lots of segments with lower fps bring the average down.

Patch seems to have stablilzed the drops a bit but there are still plenty of drops driving around.

Nothing wrong with turning stuff down for frames though.
Ray tracing is on medium, I am connected to a gsync display, so maybe I'm only looking at times of high frames, but do keep checking

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
For folks playing on console/controller who feel like the aiming and such in combat is in a word..bad and you're fighting against it...try these controls I pulled from reddit...made a WORLD of difference for me personally
Advanced settings - deactivate every type of ADS turning to zero.
Horizontal sensitivity- 7
Vertical sensitivity- 5
Aim acceleration- regular
tuning bonus- delay, 0
horizontal tuning bonus- 2.5
vertical tuning bonus- 1.3
tuning ramp- .3

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
what about the writing and animation ? I thought it is amazing
The animation on the main NPCs has been great, I'll admit. Writing has been fine so far but nothing mind-blowing, but like I said I'm not far. I'm truly worried they went all out on the main campaign and everything else has suffered like I suspect.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Does anyone know why snipers seem to be hitting me even though I'm behind cover/a rock? I know there is a charge mechanic that allows certain weapons to shoot through cover but I don't know if that's it.

This is my main gripe so far, actually. I'm just focusing on the main story and while the writing, lore and the city itself are drawing me in, I'd really, really like the ability to just completely lose myself and LIVE in the world, so to speak. The little things like that help immensely.

Maybe I'm weird, but I can't explain how happy I would be if I could sit down in a diner, have my character enjoy a drink while I busy myself with small AFK tasks.
Yep, that's what I was hoping for. That Bladerunner street vendor scene so I can sit down, grab some noodles and talk with the owner or NPCs. Or play an arcade, etc...

Yep it's true. It's pretty much entirely a quest driven game.

The open world is pretty much just window dressing.
Sigh... that's so disappointing and I would even say somewhat of a false advertisement.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
melee is crazy powerful, enemies I was dumping lmg shots into go down in just a few swings and the AI cant handle being rushed at all

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Man I am having so much fun playing through the main story quests as a Netrunner. What the game does well it does extremely well. But then you step out of that bubble and into the open world and it starts to crumble. It really feels like they put all of their efforts into the Story and main gameplay beats and didn't have enough time to focus on everything else. This game could've been something special if they weren't as optimistic with the release date and just had more time to flesh out the rest of the game. So much wasted potential.

basically the opposite problem of rockstar games

cool immersive worlds, dreadful quest design

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

XSX and PS5 in performance mode

- PS5 has a slightly higher resolution at 1188p with occasional drops to 1080p, vs the XSX's highest of 1080p with occasional drops below that.
- PS5 is pretty much a locked 60fps, with rare drops to a lowest of 50fps.
- XSX version has far more drops than PS5 in some scenes, plus has momentary pauses.
- Xbox version has more traffic density.

XSX quality mode

- Only the XSX has this mode.
- Pretty much a locked 30fps.
- Ranges between 1512p and 1728p.
- Has added SSAO and higher crowd density.

If you own both next-gen systems and care about frame-rate (eg want 60fps), go with the PS5 version I say. It offers a higher average resolution and the most consistent frame-rate.

If however you value IQ and visuals, go with the Series X version for the quality mode.

As I'm more of a visuals over framerate guy, I'll be swapping my PS5 version for the Series X version to play in quality mode, because who knows when the next-gen patch will arrive, and it's not like there's specific DualSense support either.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So DF is most surprised by the Series S. Expected that i would use the Xbox One S base. But it doesnt.
In the end its just a lower res Series X and quality mode with the same features and also locked 30fps.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Playing on XSX here. I've had a pretty trouble-free experience so far. Outside of one hard lock in the character creator, it's been smooth sailing since. Quality mode runs really solid. I tried performance mode, but the Vaseline image quality and uneven frame rates had me running straight back to the higher visual quality mode. Yeah, crowd density... I'm without a permanent ride at the moment, so I'm hoofin' it everywhere and at times, the crowds are so thick, I have trouble getting places.

I still really don't like the gunplay though. Clunky as hell.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
So the xbox did get a minor boost meanwhile the PS version left in the dark. Locked 60 is bullshit aswell, i already encountered heavy fps drops in the city, im talking about 35-40 fps at max

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
It's always awkward when I come back to my parked car after doing things, and there's a long line of cars waiting behind it. I guess the drivers have zero AI.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England

I wonder how true this could be. I can imagine the platform holders aren't happy at least.

I suspect Sony are being bombarded with refund requests so (rightfully) want CDPR to take the fall for this. They have yet to put out a statement regarding the piss-poor state of this game on console.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
So the xbox did get a minor boost meanwhile the PS version left in the dark. Locked 60 is bullshit aswell, i already encountered heavy fps drops in the city, im talking about 35-40 fps at max

I guess cause this is all based on the previous gen consoles. It'll probably look a lot different when the next gen patch is out

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
After 14 hours, i rerolled a character.

Going in less subtlety. Going louder and faster now. No time for junk hunting, hacking and crafting

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
I fuckin love the quest design in this game, a mix of watch dogs and deus ex, you could basically take down an entire factory without even using a gun.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
Are the silencers bugged? Every time I headshot someone with a silenced weapon all the enemies still go berserk.

Trying my best to look past all the bugs and underwhelming, half baked features.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely knocked it out of the park with modeling Night City. I'm just gawking at it everywhere. It's missing some population density but after running/driving around for a few hours Im not sure I'd prefer it, especially with the narrow roads.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Found my first repeatable bug. In the first mission right before you go into the room to ID the body Jackie's gone will float in the air without him. I reloaded the save 3 times and got it each time