Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
It just occurred to me. Cyberpunk would've been better without the "open world" elements. The upgrades and weapons are really nice.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
The problem is they keep saying that this game is the true next gen open world experience

LOL, I think the true next-gen open world experience is whenever Rockstar releases the next-gen update to GTA5!

It's a tongue-in-cheek comment, of course, but it also kinda... isn't.

The systems that we expected from Cyberpunk 1977, as I like to call it, have been done so well in GTA5 and RDR2 already, with respect creating a living world beyond the scripted missions.

Whenever GTA6 comes out, that game will, of course, be the truest next-gen open world experience. CD Projekt Red needs a little more schooling from Rockstar

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of curious, is something major like adding better AI in a patch possible?

Thankfully I never read about the "Over 1000 NPC's each with their own routines and day/nigh cycles" thing before I played it, I probably would have been disappointed if I expected Shenmue levels of NPCs.

I suppose if it was something they genuinely did and pulled it out because it wasn't working and they had to make release then there's a chance they could add it back in for the next gen versions. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
How do you "sheath" your weapon? I end up walking around the city with my katana or gun out after a fight

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not entirely sure this game is a good RPG whatsoever...I was under the impression, and maybe I shouldn't have been, that this was going to be Divinity Original Sin 2 levels of role playing. E3s that it's been at it was very much touted as so. True role playing experience in a Cyberpunk setting. I think the game is very good as an RPG-lite so far but not nearly DnD levels like they were saying. Definitely going to keep playing to see it through because the world and the gameplay is pretty good.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday on the Cyberpunk subreddit, people said they were getting refunds from Xbox and Sony CS even after 14 hours of play when they told them it was super buggy/unplayable and crashing a lot.
Interestingly, refund request was not an option the other day on Xbox (I've played about 3 hours). Just checked again and I can now submit a refund request which I have just done.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
It has nothing in common with Rockstar's game design. It has everything in common with The Witcher 3's design, but the trappings become more obvious in a densely populated city where sandbox-like emergence is expected. See my post here.

There are plenty of events happening and going on, plenty of things to see and do, but they're all specifically scripted and placed quests and activities that exist to wait until you engage with them. Night City does not feel "alive" in any way that a sandbox game does on a technical and design level, even limited ones, where some degree of NPC behavioural emergency and interaction exists to make it seem like people do things with appropriate causality.

They spawn in relative to the player and walk around, sit, or play out an idle animation. That's it.

That makes perfect sense. The Witcher is so spread out I never really noticed how bad the ai routines are because you're constantly on the move so it keeps the illusion up fairly easily but all the marketing for this game revolved about it being a true next gen sandbox game and its just crazy how far behind they are even from games 2 generations ago

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Are people enjoying this game?
Genuinely hard to tell.
Still in Act 1 7hrs in on PS5, I'm absolutely loving it and I feel super immersed. Apparently Act 2 is even better so I'm looking forward to that

How do you "sheath" your weapon? I end up walking around the city with my katana or gun out after a fight
Double tap triangle, or hold triangle to bring up the weapon selection menu

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The problem is they keep saying that this game is the true next gen open world experience
Well that was bullshit. I dont hate the game but if anything its the most last gen open world game possible, just with better lighting on occasion. Sort of the same issues I had with Ghost of Tsushima. And yet I'm still playing way too much doing what is usually the same task with a different mission name over and over for money for upgrades that other than a double jump and visually different melee makes very little difference.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Wait a fucking minute...

I was taking a quick gander at the IGN walkthrough. It says that I am now on the last set of story missions? What the fuck? That can't be right can it?

There are only 2 acts. If you don't do the optional side quests, the game is over before it even hits its stride. For a game 8 years in dev I expected a main campaign at least 3 times this length. It's crazy.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm sure they know the game and they're at peace with it, when you work on a software you know well in advance how the project is going. At the end of the day hopefully they get their wages and possibly a better job in the future. Software developers know well who to blame when the product sucks (hint: the ones who manage the deadlines and scope).

I do hope the directors and upper management face some real consequences over treating staff terribly and misrepresenting the game. Hopefully the fallout continues

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
Before release, people were afraid of Cyberpunk being too similar like GTA

After release, people are complaining that Cyberpunk is not like GTA

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I'm honestly shocked that this is true but i just tried and works:

Tutorial

It seems that the game use an Intel compiler and that makes the performance on AMD CPU way worst (i suppose this applies to console too?), so editing the .exe can bring you big fps gains if you are on an AMD CPU.

Screenshots of my own, before:
Cyberpunk2077-2020-12-12-20-00-48.png

After:
Cyberpunk2077-2020-12-12-20-03-19.png

As you see i get in this particularity scene a jump of 9fps, and the usage of the CPU goes from 53% to 88%. The game is way more stable now and drop way less. It's ridiculous and i can't understand why do they do this.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Before release, people were afraid of Cyberpunk being too similar like GTA

After release, people are complaining that Cyberpunk is not like GTA

People didn't want the game to be like GTA tonally.

GTA has some of the best open world detail, interaction, systems in the entire business, if not the best.

CDPr promised a "next gen open world" experience and other stuff like this

www.tweaktown.com

Over a thousand Cyberpunk 2077 NPCs will have unique daily routines

CD Projekt RED amps up its divergent real-time AI systems for Cyberpunk 2077.

Yet the game is bested by GTA 5 in the open world elements despite being a ps3/360 game at its core from 7 years ago.

Colasante

Nov 5, 2017
I'm enjoying it quite a bit, even though I have a laundry list of little issues I hope they fix. While it makes sense that it was essentially marketed as "sci-fi GTA" to me it feels much more like "Sleeping Dogs meets Deus Ex" which is exactly the kind of game I've always wanted.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm enjoying it, but I went in with expectations that it wasn't going to be some amazing game that's making strides in the genre and redefining what it means to be a video game, like some people did apparently.

Pros:
I like the main storyline
Side missions are pretty substantial and good too
Characters are pretty well developed
The game looks great (on PC wih a good GPU)
Art design is awesome
Gameplay is fun, even if it's not revolutionary
Multiple approaches to deal with missions

Cons:
Edginess of the world (particularly when it comes to gender/sexuality issues)
For as amazing as the world looks, it's mostly window-dressing
Lack of agency story-wise, feels like most things play out the same way no matter how you do it

If you treat the game like a narrative focused game with one real path to go down and the world as just a big 'hub world' to get to mission from mission, it's an enjoyable and good experience. Both CDPR and people waiting for this game hyped it up to be way more than any video game could really be. It's not some transcendent experience, it's a fun video game. It suffers because it tries to do so much so it doesn't fully hit 10/10 marks in any particular aspect.

That is really bothering me. It's almost like they forgot what everyone liked about the Witcher.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Playing on PS5. Getting some bad audio lag. Anyone else experiencing the same? For example, pull the trigger to shoot a gun and half a half second later I hear the gunshot sounds. None of the other games I've planned on the PS5 have this issue, so I suspect it's Cyberpunk specific.

Mouths aren't in sync with VO either.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that this is true but i just tried and works:

Tutorial

It seems that the game use an Intel compiler and that makes the performance on AMD CPU way worst (i suppose this applies to console too?), so editing the .exe can bring you big fps gains if you are on an AMD CPU.

As you see i get in this particularity scene a jump of 9fps, and the usage of the CPU goes from 53% to 88%. The game is way more stable now and drop way less. It's ridiculous and i can't understand why do they do this.

Thank you so much for this. Heres the Video tutorial:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this on a whim and probably have to return it. The text is so small I absolutely cannot read anything with my visual impairment. Same problem I had with The Witcher games, but I thought maybe a little more thought would've gone into players with disabilities in 2020. Oh well.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm kind of curious, is something major like adding better AI in a patch possible?
Technically yes but I don't know if they'd do that. They might just devote all their resources to bug fixing and working on the dlc/multiplayer mode now/

double tap what ever button you use to cycle through your weapons.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this on a whim and probably have to return it. The text is so small I absolutely cannot read anything with my visual impairment. Same problem I had with The Witcher games, but I thought maybe a little more thought would've gone into players with disabilities in 2020. Oh well.
Did you try tweaking the text size setting? I know I saw one.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
It seems like they allocated their resources in some weird spots with this game. The presentation can be great, but the world has fuckall going on and is pretty glitchy.

It's too bad. The world is really cool to look at, I just wish it was worth living in. So many food stops and I can't even buy food from them? I see "Tom's Diner" ads all over, yet I can't even walk into the diner? Very odd.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I've played it for nearly 2 hours now.
Yeah, it ran suprisingly well on my system while looking pretty good. There were some LOD issues but nothing too bad on my end.

But I'm just not feeling it so far. It's just not the genre I want to play right now.
So I asked for a refund on Steam & maybe I'll jump back in some time later.

Last edited:

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's a great game. I love roaming the world and doing the activities because the core mechanics of driving and shooting exceeded my expectations. I get the complaints people have with NPC ai but these kinds of things only appear neat at first to me but are of little value in the long term.
I feel so far the combat and especially driving are some of the weakest parts of the game so far, a CDPR classic. I do like exploring especially with a double jump.