• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Living under the boot of the corps man :(

Did you manage to sort your key out or get some form of reply?
No they actually told me today no that they "are not sending out console codes yet..."
Luls.
So I went from "you are on the first of the list and will get prerelease code for review for sure and we are excited to. Nothing is even being sent out though it is."
But it happens no one is owed a code and I have danced this dance for years. I am switching my coverage to indie titles and other fare in the meantime.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I keep getting told. "BARELY anyone has them. SUPER limited.

No they actually told me today no that they "are not sending out console codes yet..."
Luls.
So I went from "you are on the first of the list and will get prerelease code for review for sure and we are excited to. Nothing is even being sent out though it is."
But it happens no one is owed a code and I have danced this dance for years. I am switching my coverage to indie titles and other fare in the meantime.
That sucks, even if no one is owed a code you're work is appreciated. I'll watch and share it whenever you put it out though.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, even if no one is owed a code you're work is appreciated. I'll watch and share it whenever you put it out though.
Thanks. Lots of smaller games coming out that I sort of have been eyeing on the side. So once I switch all the coverage and plans around and get back on track it will be fun to see some of them.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Luls.
This seems super weird since when the keys were announced it felt like they were inviting all creators/reviewers to request one. In very much a "we want this out there" type of way.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Some decent footage as far as stuff we haven't seen, but the quality is pretty bad:

gofile.io

Gofile - Free Unlimited File Sharing and Storage

Gofile is a free, secure file sharing and storage platform. With unlimited bandwidth and storage, you can easily store and share files of any type without any limits. Our advanced features, such as CDN support and password protection, make Gofile the ideal choice for individuals and businesses...

Holy shit @ his quest log though. He's got like dozens of quests in there.

Wonder if that, combined with the map, is a bug. I assume it would work more like Witcher 3 where you get parts of the map icons revealed bit by bit

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Is texture resolution upgraded on PS5? Cuz weren't there some screenshots, e.g., under the hood of the car, that looked way more low res texture wise than on PC?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody give me a summery of the early impressions w/o story spoilers? I don't care about mechanics spoilers. Is the game well paced? Is it fun? How does it compare to other open world games?

samnevermore

Jun 24, 2020
Can somebody give me a summery of the early impressions w/o story spoilers? I don't care about mechanics spoilers. Is the game well paced? Is it fun? How does it compare to other open world games?
we have to wait. not many people have an early copy right now. it seems even press didn't get review code.
But so far, people who have chance to play the game are enjoying. they told that game is really fun. however one of them not blown away.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
we have to wait. not many people have an early copy right now. it seems even press didn't get review code.
But so far, people who have chance to play the game are enjoying. they told that game is really fun. however one of them not blown away.
How the biggest game of the year, the most hyped and no one is playing this close ?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems super weird since when the keys were announced it felt like they were inviting all creators/reviewers to request one. In very much a "we want this out there" type of way.
Ya happens. Its not the first time.
The good thing is a ton of really good people have codes and a lot of people really are going to do a spot-on job covering it!

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go look at Hobbes post history. He has posted impressions.

• Xbox One X
  • Pre-Day 1 Patch Applied
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Hey everybody, I wrote early impressions of the game a couple of days ago when I only had maybe four to five hours of game time, so I thought I would come back and provide additional impressions of the game after 10 hours of game time.

Please note that the impression does not contain any story spoilers and is pretty broad in stroke.

Story

The story of cyberpunk is unexpected in many ways, and I think they did an excellent job of ensuring that people won't know how it's going to be told or how vital a lot of the characters that were revealed through gameplay and trailers will be. I'm not saying that the characters that have been revealed are going to be useless or incredibly important, but I will say that I was delighted to see how the story plays out after the first act.

One of the strongest aspects of the game so far is its writing and its pacing. Some of you might have noticed that I said that I completed Act One within 4 hours, but truth be told, my experience was quite a bit longer and was more in line with what other people with early copies had said where it had taken them you know around six hours to get through.

Now for reference, I am someone who is often annoyed with how long games are. The last really long game that I enjoyed was the Witcher 3, and the last long game that I noticed needed to be cut down significantly because there were multiple times where it felt that the game was over was the Last of Us Part 2. So it's incredible that I could essentially play 6 hours of the game and feel like only 4 hours had passed.

To go back to the writing of the story so far, I find that many of the characters are well written. They have great voice actors, and I feel like every character has a unique personality that stands out and makes them memorable.

Gameplay

When it comes to the gameplay of cyberpunk, I'm finding that the two main pillars, driving and shooting, are well thought out and have a layer of complexity to them that is almost overwhelming in a sense. There's a lot of perks, weapons, and vehicles to choose from, and it basically covers just about any play style you want to have. Compared to other RPGs, the amount of variety is on the level of a Bethesda game. You truly can decide to be a unique character that no one else will copy one to one. I still have not even scratched the surface of many of the perks, weapons, and vehicles that you can obtain. There is just so much.

Gunplay in particular is very satisfying. The weapons have great sounds and animations attached to them, and overall I would describe it as being punchy.

Vehicles sound like cars in a Forza game. It's ridiculous. Their handling feels more in line with GTAs, but that just makes it even more fun.

Quests

So far, I've done mainly the main quests and some side missions, and I find that a lot of them are well-paced but they aren't anything groundbreaking or mind-blowing. I do need to stress that you should temper your expectations for the gameplay of the quests themselves. It's not as diverse in terms of approach as the gameplay trailers have made them. One of the things that I wanted to highlight was that the game's hacking ability doesn't feel intuitive enough to want to use. It's like a hybrid of Watch Dogs and that annoying little mini-game puzzle in Spiderman PS4.

World

The environments that you experience on these quests are all well detailed and well lit. But it feels like there isn't the type of life that you're expecting. Population density is only felt when you're in clubs or walking out of your apartment.

What doesn't wow me about the game is the worldbuilding and immersion. Again, when I think of RPGs, I tend to think of CD Projekt red games like the Witcher 3 or Bethesda RPGs like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls, where worldbuilding and immersion are critical. One of the issues that I have with cyberpunk regarding that is that there seems to be a lack of attention to a lot of small detail to actions that tons of players who are familiar with RPG's love to engage with. I'm talking mainly about being able to see a chair and go sit in it, or seeing a shop and actually being able to go into it, rather than only limited to interactions with the environment when it's a mission.

The most immersive aspect of the game is that you are in the first person 100% of the time.

Wanted system mini-rant

I want to go on a mini rant about the Wanted System in the game. When you commit a crime in front of people, you will begin to attract police attention, and as a result, you have literally two options when it comes to engaging the police: you either kill them all and then escape or you don't kill them all, and you escape. There is no getting arrested. You just die or escape.

There also isn't any sort of bounty system in place that carries weight. You get told that a bounty / warrant is placed on you, but when you walk past a group of cops on the road, unless you're in their face, they aren't even phased by you. It just doesn't make any sense to me that the police don't automatically recognize you if you just escaped from an intense situation where you killed a couple of cops 3 minutes ago.

Final thoughts as I continue playing

I've played 10 hours so far and I've had a lot of good fun with the game there is a lot to like about it and there is a lot too be disappointed with.

I think people really need to temper their expectations for what they think that they're getting. It feels like it should have been deeper and it isn't.

This game feels like a 7 out of 10 to me currently.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  • Xbox One X
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Hey everybody, I wrote early impressions of the game a couple of days ago when I only had maybe four to five hours of game time, so I thought I would come back and provide additional impressions of the game after 10 hours of game time.

Please note that the impression does not contain any story spoilers and is pretty broad in stroke.

Story

The story of cyberpunk is unexpected in many ways, and I think they did an excellent job of ensuring that people won't know how it's going to be told or how vital a lot of the characters that were revealed through gameplay and trailers will be. I'm not saying that the characters that have been revealed are going to be useless or incredibly important, but I will say that I was delighted to see how the story plays out after the first act.

One of the strongest aspects of the game so far is its writing and its pacing. Some of you might have noticed that I said that I completed Act One within 4 hours, but truth be told, my experience was quite a bit longer and was more in line with what other people with early copies had said where it had taken them you know around six hours to get through.

Now for reference, I am someone who is often annoyed with how long games are. The last really long game that I enjoyed was the Witcher 3, and the last long game that I noticed needed to be cut down significantly because there were multiple times where it felt that the game was over was the Last of Us Part 2. So it's incredible that I could essentially play 6 hours of the game and feel like only 4 hours had passed.

To go back to the writing of the story so far, I find that many of the characters are well written. They have great voice actors, and I feel like every character has a unique personality that stands out and makes them memorable.

Gameplay

When it comes to the gameplay of cyberpunk, I'm finding that the two main pillars, driving and shooting, are well thought out and have a layer of complexity to them that is almost overwhelming in a sense. There's a lot of perks, weapons, and vehicles to choose from, and it basically covers just about any play style you want to have. Compared to other RPGs, the amount of variety is on the level of a Bethesda game. You truly can decide to be a unique character that no one else will copy one to one. I still have not even scratched the surface of many of the perks, weapons, and vehicles that you can obtain. There is just so much.

Gunplay in particular is very satisfying. The weapons have great sounds and animations attached to them, and overall I would describe it as being punchy.

Vehicles sound like cars in a Forza game. It's ridiculous. Their handling feels more in line with GTAs, but that just makes it even more fun.

Quests

So far, I've done mainly the main quests and some side missions, and I find that a lot of them are well-paced but they aren't anything groundbreaking or mind-blowing. I do need to stress that you should temper your expectations for the gameplay of the quests themselves. It's not as diverse in terms of approach as the gameplay trailers have made them. One of the things that I wanted to highlight was that the game's hacking ability doesn't feel intuitive enough to want to use. It's like a hybrid of Watch Dogs and that annoying little mini-game puzzle in Spiderman PS4.

World

The environments that you experience on these quests are all well detailed and well lit. But it feels like there isn't the type of life that you're expecting. Population density is only felt when you're in clubs or walking out of your apartment.

What doesn't wow me about the game is the worldbuilding and immersion. Again, when I think of RPGs, I tend to think of CD Projekt red games like the Witcher 3 or Bethesda RPGs like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls, where worldbuilding and immersion are critical. One of the issues that I have with cyberpunk regarding that is that there seems to be a lack of attention to a lot of small detail to actions that tons of players who are familiar with RPG's love to engage with. I'm talking mainly about being able to see a chair and go sit in it, or seeing a shop and actually being able to go into it, rather than only limited to interactions with the environment when it's a mission.

The most immersive aspect of the game is that you are in the first person 100% of the time.

Wanted system mini-rant

I want to go on a mini rant about the Wanted System in the game. When you commit a crime in front of people, you will begin to attract police attention, and as a result, you have literally two options when it comes to engaging the police: you either kill them all and then escape or you don't kill them all, and you escape. There is no getting arrested. You just die or escape.

There also isn't any sort of bounty system in place that carries weight. You get told that a bounty / warrant is placed on you, but when you walk past a group of cops on the road, unless you're in their face, they aren't even phased by you. It just doesn't make any sense to me that the police don't automatically recognize you if you just escaped from an intense situation where you killed a couple of cops 3 minutes ago.

I've played 10 hours so far and I've had a lot of good fun with the game there is a lot to like about it and there is a lot too be disappointed with.

I think people really need to temper their expectations for what they think that they're getting. It feels like it should have been deeper and it isn't.

Thank you such, this is a really incredibly informative post.

It really feels like the ambition here was inevitably limited by the (admittedly understandable) business demand to just release it at some point. I'll be really curious to see where it ends up late next year.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
there seems to be a lack of attention to a lot of small detail to actions that tons of players who are familiar with RPG's love to engage with. I'm talking mainly about being able to see a chair and go sit in it

As a person who has sat in hundreds of chairs in Bethesda games, but never once intentionally, I am thankful this isn't in.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a person who has sat in hundreds of chairs in Bethesda games, but never once intentionally, I am thankful this isn't in.

I mean, the whole point is that you have little options that create a better sense of immersion. You don't have to sit in every chair and what not in Bethesda games lmao.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
  • Xbox One X
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Story

Gameplay

Quests

World

Wanted system mini-rant

Thank you for this, but do tell about the music!

less

Oct 25, 2017
  • Xbox One X
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Story

Gameplay

Quests

World

Wanted system mini-rant

Thank you! Very insightful post. Some good stuff and some that is disappointing. It was never going to be a perfect game and it is good to temper our expectations.

Now Hobbes...your mission, should you choose to accept, is to see if you can romance Hanako Arasaka and Kerry Eurodyne or not.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, the whole point is that you have little options that create a better sense of immersion. You don't have to sit in every chair and what not in Bethesda games lmao.

But it's easy to do by accident, and then you're locked into a multiple second animation. Did you feel the candles in Witcher 3 added immersion?

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's surprising, I thought it would be higher when reading your impressions. Is the lack of real "role-playing" your key criticism?

Also, how far along do you think you are in the game?

It is more so the Cyberpunk 2077 leaves a lot to desire. I'm still struggling with pinpointing all of the exact details to support that claim. It feels shallow and deep at the same time.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
  • Xbox One X
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Story

Gameplay

Quests

World

Wanted system mini-rant

Yooo Hobbes should write reviews! And that 7 out of 10...

f83c9265-b2b3-4ad7-995e-21efef41dc68.jpeg

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It is more so the Cyberpunk 2077 leaves a lot to desire. I'm still struggling with pinpointing all of the exact details to support that claim. It feels shallow and deep at the same time.

Could it just be as simple as that some things you like are deep and developed, but some things you were wishing for when going in are shallower systems or just not mechanics in this game?

Edit: I think we will see a lot of that. People going in with specific expectations and left feeling game isn't delivering because it didn't do those things

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
  • Xbox One X
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Story

Gameplay

Quests

World

Wanted system mini-rant

Thanks for the impressions. As someone who doesn't really like Bethesda games much and doesn't find a lot of those incidental details particularly add much to immersion (presentation and narrative are probably much more important to me), this sounds good and what I was expecting. More interaction is great and in no way a negative, but don't really add much of anything for me.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could it just be as simple as that some things you like are deep and developed, but some things you were wishing for when going in are shallower systems or just not mechanics in this game?

Edit: I think we will see a lot of that. People going in with specific expectations and left feeling game isn't delivering because it didn't do those things

Well, maybe?

The gameplay trailers I watched (and I haven't watched them all) really communicated that there would be a big open world with a lively city.

The lively city just ain't there. It doesn't feel like it. GTA is more dense population wise than Night City.

And yeah, little detailed interactions are a major expectation I have for games like this.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
  • Xbox One X
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Story

Gameplay

Quests

World

Wanted system mini-rant

Really interesting thoughts, Hobbes.

There's been a ton of hype for this game and I was always a little concerned that people were going to go in with ultra-high expectations. Do you think there's a chance that people will have overhyped themselves for this game a bit and it could lead to some pushback?

I'm not trying to talk down about the game, by the way, I'm very excited. I'm just curious about your thoughts on how it compares to the huge hype train behind it.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really interesting thoughts, Hobbes.

There's been a ton of hype for this game and I was always a little concerned that people were going to go in with ultra-high expectations. Do you think there's a chance that people will have overhyped themselves for this game a bit and it could lead to some pushback?

I'm not trying to talk down about the game, by the way, I'm very excited. I'm just curious about your thoughts on how it compares to the huge hype train behind it.

I honestly think this game will be highly scored and people will play the game and be really wow'd by it. I would rather people temper expectations so that they can avoid disappointment entirely. Hell, temper your expectations and then get fucking blown away if you love it.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Well, maybe?

The gameplay trailers I watched (and I haven't watched them all) really communicated that there would be a big open world with a lively city.

The lively city just ain't there. It doesn't feel like it. GTA is more dense population wise than Night City.

And yeah, little detailed interactions are a major expectation I have for games like this.

You said that Witcher 3 was a great game and you really enjoyed it, but that game too didn't had many things you wanted to have in CP2077
This is the problem what people expect from the game - like for me personally Bethesda games or the GTA series aren't immersive games for me.. they are just so generic and just not interesting
On the other hand the Witcher games, Metro games, Stalker games, Deux Ex games, Vampire Bloodlines, Pathologic, System Shock games, Dishonored, Prey, etc. are all true fantastic immersive games
So it seems that CP2077 is probably aimed at a player like me than it is to you .. who knows

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You said that Witcher 3 was a great game and you really enjoyed it, but that game too didn't had many things you wanted to have in CP2077

I don't really subscribe to the notion that Witcher 3 is required to have the same type of world building and immersion that CP2077 has. In my mind, they are two RPGs in two very different styles that thematically aren't comparable, and therefor wouldn't have the same requirements to be immersive.

Like, it wouldn't make sense for Geralt to be able to interact with every shop keeper in the big ol city i forgot the name of. Nor would it make sense for CP2077 to have a really dense and lush wilderness area.

So it seems that CP2077 is probably aimed at a player like me than it is to you .. who knows

Totally agree, which is why I've said this game will probably still be rated really highly.

Nov 2, 2017
Thank you such, this is a really incredibly informative post.

It really feels like the ambition here was inevitably limited by the (admittedly understandable) business demand to just release it at some point. I'll be really curious to see where it ends up late next year.

That's what it sounds like based on his impressions.

While they should take the time necessary to complete the game, there's a very delicate balancing act to that. You could very well end up in a Star Citizen type of situation if you're not careful.

What makes me feel good about the game, even if there are issues, is the post-launch support Witcher 3 got. I'd expect the same with this game.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
  • Xbox One X
  • 10 Hours Of Game time

Story

Gameplay

Quests

World

Wanted system mini-rant

If you could, how viable is a stealth, non-lethal playthrough? Is it possible? Does it feel like it would be an absolute chore?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess dream-ish game for you then would be cross-breed of Bethesda and R* game?

Ability to tinker with everything in the world just because and some deeper narrative structure and world design.

A dream come true for me personally would be an open world game with no set structure to speak of but a relatively complex "affection" system across many NPCs where your choices and actions in the game can make different characters an ally or an enemy, with each opening up new paths to go down and ultimately leading to a big bad that's organically revealed through your own choices and actions.

That'd be cool.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think this game will be highly scored and people will play the game and be really wow'd by it. I would rather people temper expectations so that they can avoid disappointment entirely. Hell, temper your expectations and then get fucking blown away if you love it.
This game like no other in recent history is hyped to extreme ends. It will be interesting to see how the reviews could change the perspective on things. I for one, subscribe to your way of thinking. Also, thanks for the short summary!

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ

good , tbh "city livelier than GTA" you somehow expected doesnt really make sense in this setting , outside of maybe some absolutely specific part of the city

Status
Not open for further replies.