• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all of yall actin like you still wont be playing this game day one lmaooo
giphy.gif
Why would I? I'm not the biggest fan of TW3 to begin with, this just sours me on CDPR more. I have plenty of other great games to play.
Nice dog whistle though.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

What a trash response.

And of course the usual crowd are not only defending this crap but also saying the tired ''I can't believe some people are offended by this!'', probably the exact same people that find offense when someone shows progressive views or calls out bigots.

all of yall actin like you still wont be playing this game day one lmaooo
giphy.gif
I won't. Stop dismissing people's concerns.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of awareness from people saying, "People need to stop getting offended so easily" is astounding.

From your logic responding with criticism is offense. So you are then offended when you post, "People need to stop getting offended so easily."

Transphobic people who put up with bigotry and discrimination on a daily basis, and had to wake up to seeing something like that from a creator of games they presumably might have loved?
Just transphobic people in general?

Are you deliberately being obtuse?
The post count and account creation date...hmm, perhaps.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It probably helps seeing the tweet they're responding to.

The person doesn't use a comma and the C2077 account decides to use the confluence of the grammar mistake plus the gender ambiguous appearance of the person in the image was the impetus of the tasteless joke. I can see this as them wanting to do a friendly ribbing on the guy. Problem is they fell back on an unoriginal, harmful joke.

The impression I'm getting from people still not seeing why this is a problem is that they lack that context.

Context doesn't matter. Using the joke at all in any context for any reason is stupid.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So, why you guys are reading replies to that tweet?

Even before going in you already know what is in there and yet you pursue it just to upset yourselves, why?

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the CM knows that someone in the picture is trans and he thought it would be ok to say that? Still a dumb thing to do.

I never knew that joke was associated with transphobia but I get it now thanks to this thread. I've also seen it used to expose transphobic people in a non agressive ironic kinda way, in other contexts of course, this might vary from country to country.

Also, where is the apology everyone is talking about? Maybe add it to the OP?

Edit: Ok, that was a bad apology and it makes me doubt their real intentions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had to google the meme to understand the thread - never saw it before. But it is unquestionably offensive and evil in nature.

You'd think an established western developer who is making a game which includes Transgendered individuals as characters would be extra cognizant of how to be tactful when talking about the subject in general. This isn't okay and they are going to justifiably have issues promoting the game now.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This was a terrible idea. Shame on whoever is running their Twitter account. I get that in some dark corners of the Internet you're supposed to treat every meme as fair game and nothing is sacred, but come on people. We need to be better than that.

Even if we were to assume the person didn't mean to offend, or even if the joke isn't representative of the game's contents at all, in the year 2018 you really should know better before engaging in the irresponsible use of such language from a corporate account. If you really want the freedom to make racist, sexist or transphobic jokes, so be it, but you will still have to face the consequences.

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
No doubt a shitty, disappointing move by CDPR, but I'm fine with the apology. I took the "Sorry to all those who were offended" to be specifically addressing the audience for their apology, rather than dismissive or victim-blaming, especially by following it up with "Harming anyone was never our intention." It feels like an appropriate apology for what was meant to be an understated reply on Twitter made in a bad, uneducated way.

I wouldn't be surprised if (and would like to see) an elaboration was made at a later date when they don't have their hands full at gamescom, but I'm glad they addressed this and removed the tweet.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
It's so easy to change "Sorry to all who were offended" to "Sorry to those we offended"

So easy. You even save yourself a word.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck did I miss? Out of morbid curiosity I had to go hunt down the two previous threads preceding this and what an absolute dumpster fire. Were it not for the sea of red banners and struck out usernames I would have had to check to see if I hadn't accidentally clicked on NeoGAF. And I think I'd rather drill a hole into my cranium than to actually go on GAF and see what the troglodytes over there are saying, though I can easily guess. I was expecting to see a good number of gaming side posters do the usual thing and immediately jump to defend the sanctity of one of their favourite video games developers, but I wasn't expecting the sort of graveyard it's turned out to be. It's also heartbreaking to see the responses of a good handful of transgender posters on this very board, because to say they're dismayed and disappointed is genuinely an understatement.

Absolute poor show, CDPR. I wanted to give you guys the benefit of the doubt, but you just make that increasingly difficult for me and for many others as the months go by. I wouldn't bat as much of an eyelid if it's just some dick responding in his own personal account and met with rebuke by CDPR themselves, but this shit was coming from the official Twitter account where presumably the person(s) in charge of their social media would be savvy enough to be able to read the room and understand basic context surrounding the very phrase put out in that particular word order. As for that apology of theirs, what on earth? "Sorry you were offended" is the laziest, weakest, most insincere shit they could crank out. It displaces the blame onto the people who are rightfully upset by the joke and it displays little to no awareness on CDPR's part as to WHY their joke elicited the reaction it did. Goddamn. I'm seriously assessing whether I just drop GOG now and just not bother with any more of their products for the foreseeable future. I think I'll live without Cyberpunk 2077.

Fuck the "it's just a joke" defence. Comedy isn't on life support just because plenty of people rightfully take serious umbrage with jokes that deliberately punch down, mock and marginalise minority groups that already face endemic mockery and marginalisation in everyday society on multiple levels. I think any comedian worth their salt and who isn't a sociopathic prick recognises that else I'd justifiably boo them off the stage for making something like this the punchline of one of their routines.

And especially fuck the "everyone is so easily triggered/offended these days" response that I've had such an unfortunate time of seeing prop up again and again across these three threads and likely everywhere else on the internet, because Christ, it's apparently really hard to not be some empathy-lacking shell who can't see past their own nose and spare any thought for their fellow human beings who already face insidious everyday mockery and marginalisation. To think, I used to think like this. LGBTQ+ marginalisation and the assortment of jokes and dogwhistles that came with it? None of it affected me and I didn't immediately understand why offence was even caused. Because I lacked that crucial understanding and the sufficient empathy that only came after a period of introspection, growing up and listening, I didn't think the concerns of the LGBTQ+ community were valid.

Don't mind me. Just making sure this gets seen on every page. I can't stand the "Did you just assume..." joke that's so prevalent these days.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly had no idea that was a transphobic term, I thought it was ridiculing SJW's as a whole.

That's pretty much what sjw is used for, though: to argue that caring about things is dumb, that either the problems people complain about are imaginary or something they brought on themselves, and that low-key bigotry is normal and ok. Most of the time when the word gets used, it's straight white dudes saying that other demographics' problems aren't worth any attention.

If you use SJW as an insult at any point in time, you're probably fucking up.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god for the mod edit at the start explaining the context of the "joke", like can some good soul explain how the PR guy's tweet is a joke and how that not transphobic?
Like if you don't know it's transphobic how is this a joke?

Seriously, this, there's no alternative that isn't transphobic.

Rather by what such people have posted here, it's because their interpretation is transphobic in a different way that they don't see as transphobic. Generally it's the assumption that being angry at being misgendered is somehow ridiculous, that only the "extreme left"/"SJWs"/unruly trans people who don't submit to oppression gracefully/etc. find it hurtful and/or that only they'd react strongly to being hurt... which is a transphobic and insulting assumption in itself. And sometimes even including the belief that it's funny because you misgendered people who "obviously" look like a different gender... because apparently enforcing that kind of expectation, or making light of misgendering, isn't transphobic either?

It's transphobia all the way down.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Domestic abuse, oppression, female empowerment, relationships, (homo)sexuality, all themes that the game tackles very well in a nuanced and tactful manner.
I don't agree with any of this, specially not Domestic Abuse. We talking the Bloody Baron quest, right? In which the only way Anna gets a "happy" ending is ending up with her abusive husband.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Context doesn't matter. Using the joke at all in any context for any reason is stupid.
Context always matters and it's especially true for those not familiar with the meme. I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole thing until i saw this post. It made it easier to see how shitty the joke was and to better understand the whole scenario. Spacesong wasn't trying to justify the tweet but used this to provide more context to help others understand what's going on.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No doubt a shitty, disappointing move by CDPR, but I'm fine with the apology. I took the "Sorry to all those who were offended" to be specifically addressing the audience for their apology, rather than dismissive or victim-blaming, especially by following it up with "Harming anyone was never our intention." It feels like an appropriate apology for what was meant to be an understated reply on Twitter made in a bad, uneducated way.

I wouldn't be surprised if (and would like to see) an elaboration was made at a later date when they don't have their hands full at gamescom, but I'm glad they addressed this and removed the tweet.
Specifically addressing the audience they offended would be done by saying:

"Sorry to the Transgender community we offended with our comment, harming anyone was not our intention, statement to follow"

What they actually did was try to absolve themselves of blame and blame the people offended for being too thinskinned and taking offense at what they said.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
The only disagreement I have with the OP warning is that I have heard this joke in real life right in public with the same type of transphobic intent. And it was from group of people you expect to tell transphobic jokes.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
What I'm learning is how offensive that phrase is. I thought it was pretty mild previously and hasn't seen anyone complain at it before. What term do I use then?
Who specifically are you complaining about? Because in the vast majority of cases SJW refers to somebody who speaks out against bigotry in any fashion, and hopefully you aren't trying to insult them.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's so easy to change "Sorry to all who were offended" to "Sorry to those we offended"

So easy. You even save yourself a word.
Still no good. It's not about the "offense." It's about the idea. It's about the fact that someone thought it was okay to make a joke that has no other purpose than making fun of LGBT and specifically trans people.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That tweet barely constitutes as an apology. I don't know what I expected.

The comments in response to the tweet are absolutely disgusting, though.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here's an actual apology. I'll even keep the "we didn't intend to offend" shit in here, look:

"We apologize for our earlier offensive and transphobic tweet. It was not our intention to offend anybody. CD Projekt RED supports and embraces all people, regardless of their gender identity, and orientation, and does not endorce transphobia or bigotry."

Do you see the difference? One apologizes for the actual statement made and takes accountability for it, while also making it very clear that shitheads who identified with the original offensive statement are not welcome. The one that CDPR tweeted? "lol, sorry you were offended, lul".

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm learning is how offensive that phrase is. I thought it was pretty mild previously and hasn't seen anyone complain at it before. What term do I use then?

Consider using "People who absolutely know what they're talking about more than I do", because I'm guessing it'd be accurate in your case.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Still no good. It's not about the "offense." It's about the idea. It's about the fact that someone thought it was okay to make a joke that has no other purpose than making fun of LGBT and specifically trans people.
I mean if any apology is JUST "Sorry to those we offended" it is a pretty crap apology that does not show remorse or understanding of the situation. So I agree with you. But it is 10x better than shifting an apology to focus on other's reactions versus your own actions.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"who's the best person we have on staff to write an apology tweet?"

*looks at person who made transphobic joke*

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I didn't know such a meme existed so initially I was a bit confused with the backlash, having read up on the subject at hand there's no way they could've been ignorant enough to use it for the sake of banter. I guess they're oblivious to the fact they have some level of social responsibility and that's a great shame.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Consider using "People who absolutely know what they're talking about more than I do", because I'm guessing it'd be accurate in your case.

god damn, why are you people like this?

you see a guy trying to better himself, and all you do is to attack him for not being woke enough, stop this shit

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who specifically are you complaining about? Because in the vast majority of cases SJW refers to somebody who speaks out against bigotry in any fashion, and hopefully you aren't trying to insult them.
I've had discussions with people who stopped listening to what I was saying because they had an idea of who I was and what I was saying, and would prefer to attack me for something I didn't say. I guess people like that; those that get so lost in their cause that they are blinded from having an actual discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.