chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't find a thread on this but they announced their departure from the channel a day ago. It's on their new video as well (skip to the 7:30)

Here's a FAQ from a twitlonger post explaining what's going on:

So! As you may have already heard in today's EC episode, Carrie and I are parting ways with Extra Credits. Setting off for new projects! If you have any lingering questions about what that means, hopefully this quick FAQ will answer some of them.

1. WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING EXTRA CREDITS?
More or less now? Today's EC episode was my last one. I'm still doing the narration for the next Extra History series (The History of Non-Euclidean Geometry) and also for a not-yet-announced run of eight videos happening later this spring or summer, but all that has been recorded already. In every practical sense, Carrie and I have officially left.

2. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
I'm (just assuming, but also) glad you asked! We're planning TWO big projects.

First, I'm planning to take Extra Frames, my game animation analysis series, and launch it as a new YouTube channel (with a new title, of course). I've been itching to invest more time in this video series, and now is the perfect opportunity.

Second, I'll be taking over and continuing to produce content for the Extra Play channel (which will soon be getting rebranded as well). Making stuff like Side Quest and Battle of the Dans and playing Sonic games and whatnot has just been too fun to stop doing.

3. WHEN WILL THAT EXTRA FRAMES CHANNEL LAUNCH?
Not for a while! I've got a massive batch of videos that I want to launch the channel with, but they won't be done for some time (the topic rhymes with Blinal Blantasy). Once those are ready, I'll launch the channel and have new episodes coming out regularly from then on! I'm SUPER excited to devote more time to animation videos, y'all. I'll post updates here on Twitter, so follow if you're wanting to be alerted when the channel launches!

4. WHEN WILL MORE EXTRA PLAY STUFF COME OUT?
Very soon! I'm already recording a new Kingdom Hearts let's play series. Those will start coming out as soon as we can get the channel rebranded. Carrie and I are actually planning to have new videos coming out for this channel WAY more often than before, which will be fun! And there will, of course, be Sonic games. And maybe more Side Quest at some point? Who knows!

Also, while I have you here, I just wanted to say thank you. A lot of you have already reached out saying some incredibly kind words about what Extra Credits has meant to you, and you don't know how wonderful that is to hear. This show has been one of the most important parts of my life for over a decade now, and to hear that it has positively affected the lives of so many of you as well is amazing. Difficult as it is to leave behind something I created all those years ago, I'm grateful that I got to be a part of a thing that meant something to so many of you.

Oh, and thanks for tolerating that helium voice for ten years, also. I can't believe y'all actually put up with that.

I'm excited to charge into new projects, and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I plan to. <3

Dan

Wish both of them and the rest of the EC crew the best.

Mod edit:
The tweet in question (thread)

This is why I left Extra Credits. This is why I cut people out of my life. I trusted a few enough to reach out to them for help, and while some tried, no one could change anything. The man who holds all the cards controls the situation. And James Portnow holds all the cards.

Extra Credits published a response
Statement Regarding Harassment Allegations, 6/9/2018
About half a year ago one of our employees left Extra Credits. They later claimed that another employee had harassed them out of the company.

Extra Credits takes allegations of workplace harassment very seriously.

To verify the claim, Extra Credits hired an independent HR firm to investigate the matter, and was ready to abide by all findings, including firing anyone found responsible of committing misconduct.

The contracted HR firm assigned a female HR manager to lead the investigation. The HR investigator conducted interviews with Extra Credits staff members and reviewed written correspondence.

After investigating, the HR firm found no evidence of improprieties with regards to the claims of workplace harassment.

To ensure maximum employee protection, we asked the HR firm to provide a list of recommendations for the future. Extra Credits is currently implementing these recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of awkward thinking about Extra Credits post-Dan. The entire thing started with him 10 years ago.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the news yesterday and it was absolutely devastating.
Extra Credits is such a huge inspiration to me and my work as a game designer. They have been an unequivocal force for ultimate good for me.

That being said, I look forward to the future for everyone involved no matter what!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting. As of now, it seems unfortunate though. I wonder how the format and production of Extra Credits (the video series itself) will be affected. I'm looking forward to seeing the rebranded Extra Frames.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of awkward thinking about Extra Credits post-Dan. The entire thing started with him 10 years ago.

Seriously? He's the face of the channel.

That's interesting. As of now, it seems unfortunate though. I wonder how the format and production of Extra Credits (the video series itself) will be affected. I'm looking forward to seeing the rebranded Extra Frames.

James and Scott are still involved and they contribute just as much to EC as Dan and Carrie did.

There's also the rest of the crew who work on the (IIRC more popular) Extra History.

Jobias

Oct 26, 2017
San Diego
I read the entire post in that helium voice. I haven't heard what the new guy sounds like but those are going to be some huge shoes to fill.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I remember watching their Japanese RPG video and was surprised at the things they said without providing any proof, like Japanese games not being influenced by Western RPGs which is untrue yet never provided any sources.
Have they gotten better?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Is he the voice?
At first, when I started whatching them, I didn't know that he just narrated.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet in question (thread)

This is why I left Extra Credits. This is why I cut people out of my life. I trusted a few enough to reach out to them for help, and while some tried, no one could change anything. The man who holds all the cards controls the situation. And James Portnow holds all the cards.

Extra Credits published a response
Statement Regarding Harassment Allegations, 6/9/2018
About half a year ago one of our employees left Extra Credits. They later claimed that another employee had harassed them out of the company.

Extra Credits takes allegations of workplace harassment very seriously.

To verify the claim, Extra Credits hired an independent HR firm to investigate the matter, and was ready to abide by all findings, including firing anyone found responsible of committing misconduct.

The contracted HR firm assigned a female HR manager to lead the investigation. The HR investigator conducted interviews with Extra Credits staff members and reviewed written correspondence.

After investigating, the HR firm found no evidence of improprieties with regards to the claims of workplace harassment.

To ensure maximum employee protection, we asked the HR firm to provide a list of recommendations for the future. Extra Credits is currently implementing these recommendations.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hr firms dont only interview the accused

They can still be protecting a good friend who acts shitty around women. Like I said, their efforts to fix this problem are appreciated but they need to be more transparent on why Juliet believes she was harassed and how they're going to address that rather than a blanket "we're implementing these recommendations" response.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I haven't watched them in some time and when I did try to watch them defend loot boxes I pretty much felt I wasn't missing a whole lot for not watching their channel. And if them getting accused of being sex pests is MAYBE true, well, I can't say much has been lost.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
They can still be protecting a good friend who acts shitty around women. Like I said, their efforts to fix this problem are appreciated but they need to be more transparent on why Juliet believes she was harassed and how they're going to address that rather than a blanket "we're implementing these recommendations" response.

There's really nothing they can say publicly that would bring you much peace, tbh. They handled it pretty well considering. They're not going to get into anything more personal obviously.

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, the dude sounds mentally unstable. I don't blame her for wanting to leave. That's disgusting.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That's really disappointing. I used to see James as a good guy, and his videos about gaming compulsion/addiction really helped me during a time in which I didn't want to do anything except playing games all day. Man, what a shitty thing to do...

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
They probably can't without violating her privacy.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't watch Extra Credits main but Extra Frames was extremely well done and I'd definitely be following that wherever it goes.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i watched extra credits.

I guess on both ends of them leaving and this allegation, I'll keep it as something in the past. No interest in keeping up with the series now that I know about James.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
End of an era, Dan and Carrie were cool dudes, will gladly support their next endeavors

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I haven't watched them in some time and when I did try to watch them defend loot boxes I pretty much felt I wasn't missing a whole lot for not watching their channel. And if them getting accused of being sex pests is MAYBE true, well, I can't say much has been lost.

Yeah, they had 2 lootbox videos and one about the price of games within a short span of time and it really felt like they were running defense for the industry rather than educating anyone almost to the point where I wondered if someone from EA was helping write the script. I unsubbed after that.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Wow I unsubbed years ago as I preferred watching Game Maker's Tool kit more. But that is crazy I never would have thought James was a harasser.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This garbage is fucking everywhere...

I hope these two find themselves somewhere far better and more deserving of their talents than being stuck with that fucking creep.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Been following EC since I was introduced to them via The Escapist (When Zero Punctuation started and subsequently blew up and got picked up by them). By following them as they moved over to the PATV and continue to watch their series today.

The new voice was really jarring but the content was good. (Ladders video).

Really disappointed by the news concerning James.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they had 2 lootbox videos and one about the price of games within a short span of time and it really felt like they were running defense for the industry rather than educating anyone almost to the point where I wondered if someone from EA was helping write the script. I unsubbed after that.
Both of those videos seemed pretty fair to me. Explaining why loot boxes exist and the arguments in favor of them isn't running defense for the industry. It's the starting point for an informed discussion.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering why he left, but this wasn't what I expected. This makes me really sad, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do on their own, outside of a toxic work enviroment.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Fucking hell.

Why are so many people seemingly incapable of getting through a day without actively treating other people like shit?

It's not that hard.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
I feel nothing as GMTK has replaced this channel for me completely
Sucks about the harassment stuff though, really disipointing to hear about people treating their co-workers like that

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
HR didnt find anthing, so I am not passing any judgment until we know all details, that can be never...

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I never watched because of 'helium voice' distracted from the script, but I really respect his commitment to his values.

I had no idea Extra Credits had so many staff members. It had a good tenure.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems like ec is done right? james does most of the research, without him, they kinda have nothing.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I thought James was such a cool guy above it all.

Ugh.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ

can I like ONE SINGLE FORM OF MEDIA without this sort of crap. 2017 & 2018 continue being the years of milkshake duck, bloody hell

Been watching this for years & the fact Dan was leaving was a huge shock, but to discover this possibly could be the reason is so disheartening. Granted, James almost is never on the show, & he's only references when they talk about something he discussed or did when it's related to the topic, so I feel like the "bad" people are a minority and I'd hate to stop supporting them if there's plenty of good people there, but ugh.