• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
Why are people freaking out about that both sides stuff?

Is it illegal to be republican or even support their views on here?

Im just asking, im not even American and i live in socialst Europe so chill please.

It may actually be...

While its not, people act like it is. And there's always a likelihood you'll get banned for going against the popular views, even if your comment may have been slightly naive or ignorant, to which your given no chance to be educated or have a conversation because people are to busy yelling at you calling you names.

I'm not American or an advocate for Republicans, but I see very little Republican ideologies and views ever being discussed here. I just find it hard to believe that people now get put into two categories, being liberal or racist nazi. Humans are far more complex than red and blue and make up many opinions that can range based on so many factors.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is the wildest microcosm of the current political climate i've seen to date. From what i've seen you get yelled at for not only having different political views to people on here - but also for saying 'i'd rather not make it a thing if thats ok' - If anything the latter invites far more hatred and shit talking on here.

The idea that not taking a hard political stance is in itself political is a very strange opinion which gets shared on here a lot. stories don't have to have an agenda, demanding that it does and the absence of one is in itself a third agenda is weird as hell.
When the policies on one side of the aisle negatively impact large amounts of people and somebody goes "I don't give a fuck, I'm so apolitical hurr durr", then that's either ignorant or malicious towards said people. I don't get how that's such a hard concept to grasp.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Well I'm not American so to me American politics is literally just two sides fighting each other, am I wrong about that or is it way more complex? I don't mean anything if that's why you got upset, again I'm sorry.
you appear to be Taiwanese. assuming you're an active voter, it's basically the differences between pan-green (DPP etc) and pan-blue (KMT etc) except instead of "chinese vs taiwanese identity" it's "white supremacy vs literally anything else"

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Houser isn't talking about kids in cages so why are you bringing this up? He's saying both sides are angry, not both sides are equally bad. He's also commenting on how difficult it is to do good political satire these days - mainly because American politics are extremely partisan at the moment and the dotard in chief humiliates himself more so than Rockstar could. So they might as well wait to make a new GTA.
Yeah I didn't take what he said as being centrist, to me it looks like he's saying you can't do satire when the left and right are both so militant with their views. Not that being 'extreme left' (aka normal) is as bad as being extreme right.

Although I will say you could definitely also read centrism as subtext, but it's not 100% clear to me

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
Do people in this thread not realize that, yes, the left too issues death threats over dumb shit all the time, or are we gonna ignore that like we always do?

Because everyone saying "HE SAID BOTH SIDES WHAT AN ASS" really seem to be ignoring what he means here...

He said both sides are "very militant". Don't you see how this is a problematic description when one side is literally murdering and oppressing people, and the other side doesn't?
Since this is about game Dev, I'd assume he's talking about stuff like doxing, death threats, etc.

Hell it's not just in games Dev or even satire of current governmental political stuff either.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, he hopes his game is released in a calmer political climate so it won't be criticized as much. What a pathetic excuse of a human being. Rockstar use to welcome criticism of their games when they could use it to help their sales (see: Jack Thompson), but now that real critics might rightfully call out their bullshit they're just holding their heads low and hoping shit blows over instead of doing any actual reflection that would result in a change in the content because they either think their games need that shit to sell or they have such big egos that they're incapable of admitting that their precious art might be flawed. Fucking cowards.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Gamers are truly an oppressed people.

mhoXGgs.gif
Imagine replying with words and not gifs, truly peak moderation.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's not wrong. Prominent ERA will hate the fuck out of gta 6 unless its a 50 hour long clip of trump and anyone from the right being mocked/humiliated/murdered.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are so fucking transparent.
Please tell me what you're seeing then. Because I haven't offered an opinion what so ever, just poked fun at the fact that every era thread devolves into people posting 'yikes'. It's a meme at this point.

So please, oh wise one. Enlighten me as to my own stance.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is the wildest microcosm of the current political climate i've seen to date. From what i've seen you get yelled at for not only having different political views to people on here - but also for saying 'i'd rather not make it a thing if thats ok' - If anything the latter invites far more hatred and shit talking on here.

The idea that not taking a hard political stance is in itself political is a very strange opinion which gets shared on here a lot. stories don't have to have an agenda, demanding that it does and the absence of one is in itself a third agenda is weird as hell.
Perfect post.
This thread is hilarious.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
and 4 to 8 years later it's gonna switch again, and 4 to 8 years later again, and again, makes no difference in the long run.

you have no idea what you're talking about

democrats had control of congress for almost 48 years straight starting in 1935

and before that republicans had it for almost 70 years starting in 1863

this frequent back and forth oscillation of power is a relatively new thing

Last edited:

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Where did he say each side was equivalent?
He didn't.

I think people are getting hung up on "both sides" and thinking it means "both sides are equal."

It isn't true, and the right does a lot more horrible shit than the left does, and their horrible shit is worse - but that doesn't mean there aren't extremists...on both sides.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Well, i can't disagree. Yeah, mail bombings are obviously way more extreme than what the left does, but he'd still get a volcano of shit from them if he did something deemed as any kind of microtransgression.
what are these things that would be "deemed" as a micro transgression? And how, if what he's saying is actively wrong in every way (which you say as much with not being "as extreme") can you not disagree?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm not American so to me American politics is literally just two sides fighting each other, am I wrong about that or is it way more complex? I don't mean anything if that's why you got upset, again I'm sorry.
You don't have to be American to see that one side is running over people with cars, is seperating children from their parents, is speaking out "muslim bans", has supporters of white ethno-states among them and the other side simply isn't having any of that shit. So anyone going "both sides" is a huge piece of shit. It's really simple.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017

I got yelled at for asking about his both sides comment and still have no idea whats going on.

Im not really following American politics besides the usual dumb shit Trump shouts out from time to time.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He didn't.

I think people are getting hung up on "both sides" and thinking it means "both sides are equal."

It isn't true, and the right does a lot more horrible shit than the left does, and their horrible shit is worse - but that doesn't mean there aren't extremists...on both sides.
No shit. There have been conservative and progressive extremists for thousands of years.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
We all know gta is south park lvl satire, but people are tired of moderates aiding white supremacy, it's not difficult to understand in a climate that has emboldened it to a large degree and is largely swept under the rug in favor of "oh russia" narratives. It sucks for ppl to get yelled at on an internet forum about video games but it's really low stakes in comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.