Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
tumblr_p12qqeIkAB1w0xalzo1_400.gif

You and me, let's go lol

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The thing about XIV is that it created an entire generation of Final Fantasy fans. The catch is that it created an entire generation of Final Fantasy XIV fans in particular that may not have a lot of interest in playing the other games.

There's obviously worse problems you can have than that, but I don't know if it's as simple as just thinking the XIV base will migrate over to the other games.
I don't think this is true at all. It's foolish to think that gamers who play a MMO only play MMOs and nothing else. That's nonsense. FF14 without a doubt did wonders for the FF brand and the success of FF15, FF7 Remake, and FF16 are definitely aided by FF14 expanding the franchise mindshare.

But the reality is that no matter how popular FF14 is as a MMO, the sort of massive success that AAA games need today to be recognised as a giant is much larger than most think. A million or two players buying new FF games because of exposure from FF14 can be seen as a plus, but it's a drop in the bucket when we are talking about 20-30 million being the bar to clear to be in the biggest league.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
and the double pack isn't counted in that I believe, which is daft as there'll be a few who bought that digitally as you get two games for the price of one.
If this is true this really doesn't help clarify much. Like the Double Pack seemed like no brainer purchase for just about everyone since it was the exact same price as the Single Game version.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, I know of a lot of people who want to play this don't have a PS5. I'm on a small discord of PC players, and we were discussing this game as I recently got it and was giving my impressions. Most of the people there wanted to play it. A few said they were waiting for the full trilogy, but almost everyone who had played Remake are excited for the sequel on PC.

A few are playing Remake right now after we discussed it.

I'm hoping this game has legs, I think it's fantastic and really deserves success as the devs clearly put a lot of love into it.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
as the years go by it's kinda crazy what XV did. it launched in a very poor state with horrible wom, and it's pre-release was this megalomanic mish-mash of movie, anime and a ton of other things (none of them exceptionally well done lol), but as of now it's like one of the biggest FF successes of all time and no FF is even remotely close to anything similar

way to go, XV fans I guess lol

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Anecdotally, I know of a lot of people who want to play this don't have a PS5. I'm on a small discord of PC players, and we were discussing this game as I recently got it and was giving my impressions. Most of the people there wanted to play it. A few said they were waiting for the full trilogy, but almost everyone who had played Remake are excited for the sequel on PC.

I'm hoping this game has legs, I think it's fantastic and really deserves success as the devs clearly put a lot of love into it.

Also, at least anecdotally and in our little pockets of nerdness, more and more people have more and more capable PCs. I know a few people that heard of all the complaints with the visual and performance modes on PS5 they just said "Eff it, I'll wait for PC."

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Totk, Diablo IV and BG3
Tears came out in April, Diablo came out in June and BG3, what. July?

We're in May now.
But...Tears was an usually popular game. Now that I think about it, Helldivers 2 is filling that role.

But you can't expect pop culture phenomenons to release regularly or happen by design.

So, what was released in 2023 before May....oh, right, REmake 4, was it? What else?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
NPD generally confirms Rebirth likely being just under 2.5 million after a month. I doubt its within Square's initial expectations if XVI was with 3 million in the first few days on a ~20 million smaller install base.

They need those PC ports out ASAP with ports lined up for Switch 2 as well but idk what their timeline is. This exclusivity business is just not working out.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
as the years go by it's kinda crazy what XV did. it launched in a very poor state with horrible wom, and it's pre-release was this megalomanic mish-mash of movie, anime and a ton of other things (none of them exceptionally well done lol), but as of now it's like one of the biggest FF successes of all time and no FF is even remotely close to anything similar

way to go, XV fans I guess lol
Gonna admire Tabata. He had a crazy goal and he actually kinda met it, even if the results were not what most people seem to desire...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Also, at least anecdotally and in our little pockets of nerdness, more and more people have more and more capable PCs. I know a few people that heard of all the complaints with the visual and performance modes on PS5 they just said "Eff it, I'll wait for PC."
This is another factor.

I have a decent modern PC (5700x / 4700) and I was speaking about the technical issues Rebirth has (soft image, some very poor lighting in places, soft shadows, some rough textures, high levels of pop-in) - and these things persist in Graphics mode) and a few literally said "fuck that, will wait for PC".

Remake on PC had its share of IQ issues though so not even sure if it will fix them all, but that's definitely something some peopel are thinking about.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
I loved XV even on release and it still is in my top 5 FFs for sure and I didn't even play thr DLCs/Royal Edition.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Why did they let Tabata leave. He was also a metaverse visionary believing in NFTs. Square?

Rebirth could have sold more if you owned a PS5 in the metaverse.

ChocoBuddy

Banned
Apr 9, 2024
I dislike XV but mostly because of how bastardized it ended up compared to the initial promise.

Not even the XV teams fault, I just can't get Versus XIII out of my mind.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
I can't be bothered reading through 70 pages of arguing so if someone would be kind enough to do a tl:dr I would really appreciate it.

Are the sales figures as bad as everyone was expecting and will it effect the potential budget and scope of Part 3?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Tabata wanted to continue making more FFXV content and he had another big original project under Luminous that he was spearheading. Management objected to both and wanted them cancelled. He bailed.
Why did management object though? He could have been the golden nft boy of square!
Deeply confusing they tell us they believe in NFTs and then don't keep the visionary creatives that could make it happen.

Low_FujitsuMetaverseFig2.jpg

This could have been Square's project!

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Tears came out in April, Diablo came out in June and BG3, what. July?

We're in May now.
But...Tears was an usually popular game. Now that I think about it, Helldivers 2 is filling that role.

But you can't expect pop culture phenomenons to release regularly or happen by design.

So, what was released in 2023 before May....oh, right, REmake 4, was it? What else?
Tears was May, Diablo June and August BG3. you also had notable releases like RE4R, Jedi Survivor, the Wizard game (highest sold title of the year) and other "smaller" titles like FE Engage, Forspoken, Dead Space Remake, Octo II and more all before June

yes, 2023 was batshit insanity

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
NPD generally confirms Rebirth likely being just under 2.5 million after a month. I doubt its within Square's initial expectations if XVI was with 3 million in the first few days on a ~20 million smaller install base.

They need those PC ports out ASAP with ports lined up for Switch 2 as well but idk what their timeline is. This exclusivity business is just not working out.
It was never going to do crazy numbers, its a sequel to a remake from a game in the 90s. Spoiler part 3 is probably gonna sell even worse. Especially considering how large part 2 is will put off new people from buying the 3rd part.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Tabata wanted to continue making more FFXV content and he had another big original project under Luminous that he was spearheading. Management objected to both and wanted them cancelled. He bailed.

I don't blame SE for that. Forspoken ended up bombing and the FFXV DLCs were mixed bags tbh. Still would have liked to see the final 3 though.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I don't see Spider-Man 2 needing that excuse to explain sales that failed to meet expectations. Exact same platform situation too.

I guess people liked Spider-Man 1 enough to get a PS5 to play Spider-Man 2 and Remake wasn't as convincing. Too bad.
Wasn't Insomniac hit with layoffs not long ago? I don't think SM2 did as well as you hope.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
X-2 is gonna remain the most successful Final Fantasy sequel

more proof that Yuna is the best Final Fantasy character

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I loved XV even on release and it still is in my top 5 FFs for sure and I didn't even play thr DLCs/Royal Edition.
Same, being nostalgic about FFXV is weird lol

I still want FFVersus XIII but I'm still happy with the final product all things considered with the shit show of a development cycle.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Why did management object though? He could have been the golden nft boy of square!
Deeply confusing they tell us they believe in NFTs and then don't keep the visionary creatives that could make it happen.
Cause he wasn't interested in NFTs when he was head of Luminous. He was only interested in flushing more money down the toilet to expand both FFXV and the usage of the engine.

FFXV may be the individually highest selling FF game ever, but the path to that behind the scenes was certainly... interesting.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Cause he wasn't interested in NFTs when he was head of Luminous. He was only interested in flushing more money down the toilet to expand both FFXV and the usage of the engine.

FFXV may be the individually highest selling FF game ever, but the path to that behind the scenes was certainly... interesting.
Dang Tabata being behind his own times unfortunate. Maybe he can return after the Japanese Metaverse Economic Zone is done.

FF13 Meta Versus

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I can't be bothered reading through 70 pages of arguing so if someone would be kind enough to do a tl:dr I would really appreciate it.

Are the sales figures as bad as everyone was expecting and will it effect the potential budget and scope of Part 3?

Expectations will vary from person to person. The short is that, as the thread title said, FFVII:Rebirth sold halfish compared to Remake launch aligned. While not a breakout hit, it shouldn't be considered a flop either. The remake project is too far along at this point to change the budget and scope of Part 3. There should be no worries there.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

No but its not ideal and half of Remake in the same time frame (albeit on half the install base) while also being less than XVI on a larger install base.

Part 3's budget and scope are likely already locked in and has likely been in development for a year already.

This definitely kills them ever doing a multi-part remake again though.

Nov 7, 2022
The 7 Trilogy will get the full treatment. However, I imagine the sales performance will definitely affect their "Remake" strategy going forward with other notable titles.

Good. It was a bad strategy. There's a reason direct sequels to long, story heavy JRPGs are rare - and it has everything to do with sales and acquiring a growing audience. It was decades ago but take a look at the Xenosaga trilogy (or FF10, or FF13) for an indication of how that turned out. Anyone who appeals to the hype of Rebirth now has to make a decision of dedicating an additional 40+ hours to playing the prequel or resorting to YouTube recaps, which always feels bad. Direct sequels just don't sell.

We need FFXV-2 and I'm not joking.

It'll do worse than Rebirth.

I've been seeing so much glowing praising for the story & character work in Rebirth that I was starting to wonder if they'd somehow deftly handled this, but it seems it's just not something most people care about? Personally it's the number one thing that completely takes me out of a story. I'm sure there are some good character moments in Rebirth, but if the characters stop acting believable in order to move past plot points, it's definitely not for me.

I can't say I'm surprised. I'd figured there was basically no chance they actually address any of this since playing Remake, but it's still disappointing to hear. Any last shred of interest I had in trying Rebirth is gone, lol.

This is exactly why I didn't invest in Rebirth (even though I SO wanted to) and opted to roll with streams of it in the background to at least get a sense of what I'm missing. I fell off of Remake HARD because of the pacing and story-telling, which are still un-fixed in Rebirth. There is no reason to expect this game to sell better than its divisive prequel or its stand-alone predecessor (16).

but they're still going to behave strangely during key story sequences. Like it or not, the game's original story and the new story both require a healthy amount of suspension of disbelief.

The new games didn't require that at all. It's entirely up to the story-teller to frame their plot in a believable way and its absurd to expect the audience just eat up whatever they deliver without taking issue with the nonsense. Yet Nomura's team just keeps doing it (yes, I'm still bitter about the convoluted mess that Kingdom Hearts became).

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024

I doubt the budget/scope of Part 3 will be affected by any of the sales figures we've seen thus far, but strategy changes are likely in order:

FF7 Remake and Rebirth should be on Switch 2 before part 3 releases; millions more need to play these games on PC (and likely Switch 2) before the 3rd part comes out...

It's at least worth considering ending PS5 exclusivity and having a PC port ready for part 3 as well.

At the very least they need to get FF7 Rebirth into more hands. Having so few people playing Rebirth is not a workable strategy for selling the 3rd game.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Same, being nostalgic about FFXV is weird lol

I still want FFVersus XIII but I'm still happy with the final product all things considered with the shit show of a development cycle.

I am hella nostalgic for XV. That release period was magical for me. I was super suprised to learn that people did not like the game after I finished the game. Need to do replay at some point and finally get into the DLCs and the Royal Edition.

I generally I am happy where the franchise is right now. Since XV I was only let down by XVI since it just wasn't the game I wanted and expected it to be but it was still fine overall.

They have a good streak going. I hope they can ditch the exclusivity at some point and get the games in as many hands as possible.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

I was excited for it until we found out that it's more for people who played the original than a remake to introduce new players. Never even bought Remake, so even if the ports for the other parts come out it's something I'd pick up years down the line on Steam sales.

The whole project has these kinds of decisions that stack up in a way that makes every part of it a hard sell. It's a bizarre thing. Spend a ton of money reimagining a classic game, but make it for the niche of people who played it back in the day and are still playing games rather than it being a celebration of a classic that can renew the franchise and bring a ton of new people into it. Split it up into multiple full-price projects such that anyone who you don't attract out of the gate is less and less likely to buy in with each release. Limit the ways of playing that first entry just to make sure there are a ton of people you don't get on board only to then further limit the ways of playing the sequel just to screw over anyone you did manage to attract on PC.

If there is a way to actively make a solidly developed project unsuccessful it feels like they found a lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.