Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not just talking about since XV with ARPG, hence why I mention since XI. We're not going to agree, it's fine.

We don't really have a lot of data to work with, but there's no sign that changing things is a bad thing for the series. Placing the blame at XI when it was a massive success doesn't really support the idea that the series has an identity problem.

I just don't know what anyone is actually hoping for when they say FF needs to fix it's identity.

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
I'm just surprised that Tales of with its first real multi platform release in Tales of Arise with its reception being what it was still got 60k day one peak on Steam. SE looks around the market, by their own admission, they saw it perform like that and we're just nah we're not doing that with our premium franchise. Like I really wonder how much the tech help from Sony made games like XVI possible and how independent a team like that could be going into the next like 3-4 years like would Creative Studios 1-3 really not be able to survive the full development cycle without the Sony support? But Capcom when they were smaller could? Ahh so many questions

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
We don't really have a lot of data to work with, but there's no sign that changing things is a bad thing for the series. Placing the blame at XI when it was a massive success doesn't really support the idea that the series has an identity problem.

I just don't know what anyone is actually hoping for when they say FF needs to fix it's identity.
TBF I don't think a problem like that would have people explicitly saying that their problem with FF is its lack of identity. You would probably just have people complaining about entries when they aren't their prefered genre, similar to how people complain that that FF isn't TB or an ARPG.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

I am not placing the blame at XI, how did you come to that conclusion. I'm blaming it changing so frequently, resulting in a lack of identity most other series have locked down easily, I've said this multiple times. XI is just the moment it diverged wildly from the norm and it hasn't been the same since.

Also, like I said the next FF could be an FPS and I wouldn't even blink, that's what I mean by "fix its identity."

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018

Think people are specifically referring to what kind of RPG it is. Like even with the last 4 mainline FF titles, barring remake to rebirth, they all feel completely different from one another, and that can paint a weird image for a franchise as whole when with each installment, you gotta wonder "is this one for me?". I feel like it's a big reason why the "golden age" of FF was what it was with the PS1 era. Yeah they were all different in world and setting, and they all went for different vibes, but you still knew what you'd be getting into "gameplay" wise.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Think people are specifically referring to what kind of RPG it is. Like even with the last 4 mainline FF titles, barring remake to rebirth, they all feel completely different from one another, and that can paint a weird image for a franchise as whole when with each installment, you gotta wonder "is this one for me?". I feel like it's a big reason why the "golden age" of FF was what it was with the PS1 era. Yeah they were all different in world and setting, and they all went for different vibes, but you still knew what you'd be getting into "gameplay" wise.
what about XV tho? i feel like that's the biggest counter argument against that

independent a team like that could be going into the next like 3-4 years like would Creative Studios 1-3 really not be able to survive the full development cycle without the Sony support? But Capcom when they were smaller could? Ahh so many questions
if thats the case then SE is, well...fucked

but I dont thikn thats the case. Rebirth is done in 3 years, that's crazy abnormal efficiency. they got good talent imo

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I am not placing the blame at XI, how did you come to that conclusion. I'm blaming it changing so frequently, resulting in a lack of identity most other series have locked down easily, I've said this multiple times. XI is just the moment it diverged wildly from the norm and it hasn't been the same since.

Also, like I said the next FF could be an FPS and I wouldn't even blink, that's what I mean by "fix its identity."

Uh, that was just a figure of speech, don't focus on that because it's missing the point.

There is no reason to believe the changes they have made are a problem for the series, and you should blink if the next game is an FPS because there's still a clear trend with ARPGs right now.

Yeah, I get what they're referring to.
But there's no strong evidence it's a problem right now.

I don't know, I don't like seeing people want one of the best things about the series to go away because they're panicking about sales when everything points to the problem being reach related.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
what about XV tho? i feel like that's the biggest counter argument against that

if thats the case then SE is, well...fucked

but I dont thikn thats the case. Rebirth is done in 3 years, that's crazy abnormal efficiency. they got good talent imo
XV feels like it was actually releasing at the most opportune time TO be different to me. Off the coattails of the XIII trilogy which, by the end especially, was super divisive, it felt like XV was gunning for that golden moment that would redefine the franchise to some, and introduce a whole slew of new time fans. Despite my powerful disappointment with that game, it actually seemed to have succeeded at both of those things, even in the face of the middling w.o.m surrounding it's troubled development. To go from that back to the hyper linear world of Remake and XVI though? That's a bad kinda whiplash to some. I think there's an argument there somewhere in regards to FF having an identity issue. For better or for worse, these games aren't really known for sticking to a blueprint, and the few times they have in this last decade, they actually do a really good job at evolving their systems and approach with subsequent titles(seriously, the jump from XIII through to LR and Remake to Rebirth are super impressive).

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
Yeah I'm being hyperbolic a bit but I'm just thinking about a like worse case scenario there. I believe in the talent these studios have cultivated over these last 5 or so years to take the feedback and improve upon their titles. I'm just hoping they can develop to their full potential, while doing it for the widest audience possible to allow their games to succeed as well.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Uh, that was just a figure of speech, don't focus on that because it's missing the point.

There is no reason to believe the changes they have made are a problem for the series, and you should blink if the next game is an FPS because there's still a clear trend with ARPGs right now.

Yeah, I get what they're referring to.
But there's no strong evidence it's a problem right now.

I don't know, I don't like seeing people want one of the best things about the series to go away because they're panicking about sales when everything points to the problem being reach related.
I don't know if it's a HUGE issue, we really won't have that sort of data...ever really lol. I can see it frustrating people and causing a bit of a rift within the community(which I think there definitely is).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Like I said we ain't going to agree. I wouldn't blink. There's really nothing to suggest they wouldn't change it to that degree as I've been painfully told numerous times it's whatever the leadership of the games feels like making.

And to me that's a problem. Should I be excited for the next FF? No clue. Am I excited for the next Persona? Yeah, easily. That's a problem for me.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I've just gone through the schlock that is chocobo gliding and have decided I am never replaying this game after I beat it. I'm 120+ hours in and only just got to Cosmo Canyon. I'm burning out. I may just push to the end and ignore sidequests because I know that each one is going to have some minigame to it that grinds the pace of the game to a halt. I'm just about done

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy definitely has an identity problem but until now its been seen as a feature thanks to being driven by its artistic creators that all define what FF is. I'd say its worked for a long time but they might want to rethink it.

It's difficult to see how many other franchises started after Final Fantasy that have risen to prominence and popularity by just iterating on their core gameplay loop. Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Persona, Soulsborne games, Yakuza all the way up through Like A Dragon, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy definitely has an identity problem but until now its been seen as a feature thanks to being driven by its artistic creators that all define what FF is. I'd say its worked for a long time but they might want to rethink it.

It's difficult to see how many other franchises started after Final Fantasy that have risen to prominence and popularity by just iterating on their core gameplay loop. Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Persona, Soulsborne games, Yakuza all the way up through Like A Dragon, etc.

I mean Rebirth really hits on every level of what Final Fantasy "is". Mini games/exploration/great combat/great story. There is no identity crisis—if anything this game brought final fantasy back to a core that was missing from say FF16.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Rebirth really hits on every level of what Final Fantasy "is". Mini games/exploration/great combat/great story. There is no identity crisis—if anything this game brought final fantasy back to a core that was missing from say FF16.

I mean, I'm in agreement with you, I think Rebirth is the direction the series should go.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's still possible for FF to sell and be top dogs I mean all things considered no JRPG released this year match either XVI or FF 7 Remake in week one sales. Like imagine a multiplatform XVII getting Remake/XVI's score or even Rebirth's reception and it's available on every platform. If that somehow sold poorly I'd be legitimately shocked as to me the biggest shackle to FF selling isn't quality or reception. At this point, the games have their upsides and flaws on an individual level but I'd say so do all the growing JRPG franchises.

Not one was a perfect game (obviously) and Rebirth with its reception is lagging behind DD2 and XVI which have both been very contentious in their respective communities post release even with decent overall reception so imagine a very loved XVII launching without platform exclusivity I'd genuinely bet money on it not doing sub 4-5 million week one. If they're developing XVII with the Switch 2 in mind? I might even guess higher. I'm hoping against hope that XVII is our first PC day one FF, because I'd be genuinely so intrigued to see how it would perform. If even Relink which had little in the way of advertising it's PC port had 100k players active at one point I wonder what an FF launching to that community could do with no delayed release.
Being contentious or not is not really relevant, it's just bubble FF talk. Case in point: FF15

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Minigames were really only a 7 through 10 thing though, no? And 7 was the one that really went hog wild with them, the rest only have a few. I'd hardly call it a series core element when 1-6 didn't really have anything like that.

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
Being contentious or not is not really relevant, it's just bubble FF talk. Case in point: FF15
Yeah that was basically the crux of my original post so to speak. The quality of the games being good or amazing isn't a bad thing but it's not the reason these aren't selling. My hope is that, that speak Kiryu made at the NA Fanfest for XIV isn't just hollow words and is for more than just Xbox moving forward. As long as XVII isn't a XV tier launch diaster and is able to get XVI/Remake part 1 or better player reception I see it being huge if it's not another exclusive.

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
Yeah that was basically the crux of my original post so to speak. The quality of the games being good or amazing isn't a bad thing but it's not the reason these aren't selling. My hope is that, that speak Kiryu made at the NA Fanfest for XIV isn't just hollow words and is for more than just Xbox moving forward. As long as XVII isn't a XV tier launch diaster and is able to get XVI/Remake part 1 or better player reception I see it being huge if it's not another exclusive.

I would see it as hollow realization tbh, if they were serious supporting xbawks they would release star ocean 2 alongside other consoles last year

hopefully xvi on xbox come to fruition soon

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I don't think so tbh. Even if FFXV sold well, it did so with essentially a perfect storm. The argument is that it would have done even better than it did if it was met with the same acclaim as Rebirth or earlier FF games.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
I've just gone through the schlock that is chocobo gliding and have decided I am never replaying this game after I beat it. I'm 120+ hours in and only just got to Cosmo Canyon. I'm burning out. I may just push to the end and ignore sidequests because I know that each one is going to have some minigame to it that grinds the pace of the game to a halt. I'm just about done

Cosmo Canyon is the last big area, just fyi. If you feel burned out by doing all the open world stuff it will get much better after that area.

To the point of if FF changing with every entry is a "problem" I would agree.

Not for me personally, I am a huge FF fan and will get the next one either way but a casual fan who liked XV might ask themselves "I liked this game so which FF is similar so I can check it out". Well, the answer is none, really. The old games are all turn based/ ATB and attract a different crowd. You have the XIII who have a bad rep and play completely different, you have XVI which plays like DMC and the remake series which is a mix between action / ATB.

At the end of the day, I think they can continue to change everything up each game but they gotta go multiplat for that. I personally also think it would also be a good idea to split the series into the numbered entries which change up everything each game or at least once in a while and have a turn based FF sub series with Remake level graphics that is turn based and get that at least on every platform to increase mindshare. Similar how it was with 2D and 3D Zelda. That is just a personal opinion.

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people think XBox would boost sales in any meaningful way.

I think Final Fantasy, as a brand, just has issues.

The FFVII Remake project, despite being sold as "complete, full priced" games, is still telling one story and I honestly think people just jumped in are planning on waiting for the "complete" version.

I just don't think SE knows what to do with the series.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The FFVII Remake project, despite being sold as "complete, full priced" games, is still telling one story and I honestly think people just jumped in are planning on waiting for the "complete" version.

I assume they have their best "guy with a spreadsheet" on this project, and its designed to have extraordinarily long legs as it becomes more readily available to the people who want to play it.

Like, Cloud AND Sephiroth are in Smash.

Feb 19, 2023

These takes are always so weird, just like how certain people love to downplay the 2+million FFXV sales they achieved just because it's less than PS4 (as if there aren't a ton of reasons why that's the case in the first place) when in the end that's a pretty huge number for a franchise not associated with the console at all.

But none of this is even the point; nuturing a fanbase to further grow your IPs reach and popularity should always be the goal, and a true fan should always want this to happen. Look at Persona and Yakuza doing so well on Xbox now (even though they're extremely LTTP). Even Atlus of all developers is taking note and they're one of the absolute last developers you'd think would do so...and Persona 6 is going to do better because of it.

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
I don't really understand why people are adverse to more people playing a game day and date. Outside of a little more headache when it comes to making quality ports on the devs end it really doesn't have that many downsides. You get more of an initial audience, you build a community of players around the game on as many platforms as possible at the beginning, and you typically increase the sales numbersdue to the previously stated factors.

Why is SE so special they can't do what literally everyone else is doing? They have all the same devkits, their devs aren't any less talented or skilled than those in the rest of the industry (in fact they more resources than your average Japanese developer even for their mini studio setup with the Creative Studios or CBUs). Why intentionally limit yourself? Like seriously what is the benefit to them, I've never seen a person name one outside of maybe the dev help they get from Sony. Also, I don't just mean Xbox. I mean Xbox, PC, the Switch 2, everything and anything a mainline scoped for a certain system that it can run on, it should be on.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

This is where I'm at with Final Fantasy and I agree wholeheartedly with these points.

Ever since Hironobu Sakaguchi left, the series has never been the same.

I like that there is no real "formula" to FF games, each one is pretty different and unique. I love that. Though, I suppose that is why the brand has issues. It doesn't build on itself. It makes a new world and new mechanics with each mainline game. Said world and mechanics will not jive with everyone.

Persona has been refining its mechanics since Persona 3 and that's great. I know what I am gonna get from a Persona game after 3. Though, again, at least to me, that predictability made Persona 5 boring. If Persona 6 is just Persona 5 but green, I'll kinda be bummed out.

If there is one thing they can do for the series it's, AT THE VERY LEAST, put it out on PC day one with whatever other nonsense they want to do.

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
That's not to say that the brand doesn't have it's share of problems, but you can stop the bleeding by at least giving the most amount of people the chance to help you do so. But the design of these titles, I think, is lower on the list of things keeping them from selling than exclusivity imo. If a 92 on MC and 9.0 user score couldn't save Rebirth it doesn't matter how good they make the series if they keep strapping the ball and chain that is exclusivity onto them and then dunking them into the ocean of games coming out each year. You're guaranteed to drown the game each time you do that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
These takes are always so weird, just like how certain people love to downplay the 2+million FFXV sales they achieved just because it's less than PS4 (as if there aren't a ton of reasons why that's the case in the first place) when in the end that's a pretty huge number for a franchise not associated with the console at all.

But none of this is even the point; nuturing a fanbase to further grow your IPs reach and popularity should always be the goal, and a true fan should always want this to happen. Look at Persona and Yakuza doing so well on Xbox now (even though they're extremely LTTP). Even Atlus of all developers is taking note and they're one of the absolute last developers you'd think would do so...and Persona 6 is going to do better because of it.

It's doubly weird when you consider how many SE franchises have already appeared on Xbox. Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean 6, even Visions of Mana is making its way over there... but then we get to FF and it's like "NO NO, WAIT, DON'T DO THAT... THE SALES WON'T MATTER." Like, this is clearly a thing Square Enix doesn't believe or they wouldn't put any games on there. Kingdom Hearts is fine but Final Fantasy would be a black hole of sales? How does that work? Do people honestly believe an Xbox version of Rebirth would have sold under Star Ocean 6?

kur07

Mar 30, 2021
After the absolute slog that was FF7 remake part 1 (powered through the whole thing), I sure as hell am not touching rebirth. I guess I'm not alone in this sentiment.

The main offender IMO is the combat, which is neither tactical nor reflex based. I can't understand why some people like it.

And of course the endless boring side quests.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's doubly weird when you consider how many SE franchises have already appeared on Xbox. Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean 6, even Visions of Mana is making its way over there... but then we get to FF and it's like "NO NO, WAIT, DON'T DO THAT... THE SALES WON'T MATTER." Like, this is clearly a thing Square Enix doesn't believe or they wouldn't put any games on there. Kingdom Hearts is fine but Final Fantasy would be a black hole of sales? How does that work? Do people honestly believe an Xbox version of Rebirth would have sold under Star Ocean 6?

It feels like the mindset that was pretty common in the early 2000's when if you wanted to play a JRPG, you would buy a playstation. And Final Fantasy was basically the KING of console rpg's.

But 2 and a half decades later the reality is that the jrpg audience has shifted all over the map. They arent just on playstation anymore, in fact playstation has somewhat pivoted away from having much of a presence of Japanese made titles in its first party line up. I think that too is somewhat responsible for people seeking jrpgs are not neccesserily buying a playstation specifically for that anymore.

So you got a lot of people enjoying jrpgs on PC, switch and yes even xbox and not feeling the need to buy a playstation just for FF. Meanwhile if FF went to those other platforms im sure people would be happy to have it. Of course it's not something that you can expect immediate results of, you need consistency and good ports and good pricing, you cant expect people to buy a 80 euro port of a 2 year old game when its so far removed from the mindshare at that point.

xbox's gamepass iniative done wonders to both persona and yakuza on xbox, for example. Or the yakuza 0/persona 4 being priced at $20 MSRP on steam when it came out. Meanwhile FF12 remaster still got a 50 euro MSRP on steam.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
After the absolute slog that was FF7 remake part 1 (powered through the whole thing), I sure as hell am not touching rebirth. I guess I'm not alone in this sentiment.

The main offender IMO is the combat, which is neither tactical nor reflex based. I can't understand why some people like it.

And of course the endless boring side quests.

How is the combat not tactical? I think it is the most tactical of the whole franchise tbh.

Combat is the highlight for me personally. Not saying you have to like it of course but don't soo how it is not tactical. Rebirth added perfect parries so there are reflex based elements besides dodging as well

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's more tactical than most turnbased jrpgs too.
About the only turnbased game that I liked to give some semblance of strategic decision making was octopath 1 and most people disliked that game because of the story. The sequel was a bit of a let down on advancing the gameplay and instead just fixing what most people disliked about the first game sadly.

Most other turnbased JRPGs feel really braindead. I dunno if I can stomach another Persona game where the end becomes Hassou Tobi, Heat Riser and Debilitate again. Said it before in this thread if there is something that is probably lacking about the combat is how bad it teaches people cause frankly most of the people that I've seen write about it do not understand the combat.

People have feelings based on their ignorance and not understanding it at all. Stuff like people complaining about how air combat feels bad on x character but then they don't know how to access the air connecting combo string or don't use synergy launchers. Stuff like ATB generation feels slow and then they don't understand the string parts that generate most of the ATB or Materia setups. By far the dumbest take I've seen is you can't do dmg without stagger. Which is just simply wrong. That is on the same level as you can't reliably estus flask in boss fights for souls, because????? persona inventing wrong info I guess.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Exclusivity has absolutely hurt this game, and I doubt SE will want to see how much lower they can go with PlayStation exclusivity after Rebirth. This one will disabuse them of the notion of some concentrated JRPG that's just on one console, if they ever believed that.

kur07

Mar 30, 2021
How is the combat not tactical? I think it is the most tactical of the whole franchise tbh.

Combat is the highlight for me personally. Not saying you have to like it of course but don't soo how it is not tactical. Rebirth added perfect parries so there are reflex based elements besides dodging as well

You can instantly execute any action on any character you want. Consequently, as long as you have sufficient equipment, you can beat any encounter on first try. Usually just by taking the hits and healing afterwards.

The combat is chaotic and visually busy, which I believe required enemy abilities to be balanced somewhat on the weaker side, since the developers couldn't expect the player to notice and react everything (unlike in turn based combat).

The result for me at least is that I felt no risk going into combat (on the hardest difficulty available during the initial playthrough).

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Because it's both tactical and reflex based lol. The system is all about ATB and resource management and making use of the game's RPG elements, heck there's a straight up tactical mode where you can queue moves. If you want to play it entirely reflex based you can do that as well, with the command shortcuts.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017

You are not. 92 score is impressive, but that just tells me that it is a bit better than Remake which got 87 (I really did not like that game).
Maybe it is way better, but I don't believe the reviewers after Remake reviews.

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
You can instantly execute any action on any character you want. Consequently, as long as you have sufficient equipment, you can beat any encounter on first try. Usually just by taking the hits and healing afterwards.

Though it's very easy to get your attacks interrupted if you don't pick your moments with spells & abilities which have longer cast times (indeed this has been a common criticism of the battle system across both Remake and Rebirth).

That said, it's very clear the player is (rightly) given a huge amount of freedom to mess up and play inefficiently if only trying to beat the main game - it's only in Hard mode and the combat sim that the player is really pushed to show some combat system mastery. (And even with this there are frequent complaints in the OT that certain boss fights are too tough - and if people using Era feel that way, I'd expect it's common among the wider audience too.)

I think the real criticism of the combat system is that it just does not teach people how to excel well at all. I regularly see people getting to a boss fight more than half way through the game with no idea how to deal with flying enemies as certain characters, which is pretty trivial if you understand Tifa's or Yuffie's kits.

kur07

Mar 30, 2021
It's more tactical than most turnbased jrpgs too.
About the only turnbased game that I liked to give some semblance of strategic decision making was octopath 1 and most people disliked that game because of the story. The sequel was a bit of a let down on advancing the gameplay and instead just fixing what most people disliked about the first game sadly.

Octopath 2 had some really nice tactical challenges. For example party-wipe moves with countdowns, where you're scrambling frantically to interrupt it over multiple rounds. Conditional invulnerabilities. Deadly damage-over-time attacks, locking your healer into keeping a single person alive. Moves which remove a party member, breaking your main strategy...

By comparison, everything FF7R throws at you feels watered down, but still requires a lot of effort to go through the motions of the combat.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I broke Octopath 2's combat super hard just giving Hikari all the BP for 90% of the game so I can't really compare (its cool that you can break the combat as hard as you can, but it wasn't often very tactical). Got a lot more out of Rebirth's systems, but that involves paying attention to things in real time and going for 100% damage negating parries and synergy moves. Even just the sheer variety of battle themes in the game have made it hard to go back to games that mostly just have a basic battle + boss theme.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
By comparison, everything FF7R throws at you feels watered down, but still requires a lot of effort to go through the motions of the combat.
Rebirth compared to Remake does a lot of the stuff you mention but only during optional content.
Most of the main story encounters are pretty straightforward.
It has pretty much almost every status ailment
other Final Fantasy games have and you can counter it the same way you did in the turn based games.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with Octopath 2 is that it was rehashing most of the interesting things from the first game(like all the most interesting encounters you have already solved if you played the first game, including the very last one that is mostly different because of the changed jobs but still pretty similar) vs really advancing anything. All the effort went clearly into improving the story/characters and none of it went into making the combat more interesting.

Other than that I'm not gonna argue against your vague feeling. It's how you feel not much really to say about that.
But given the build diversity and range of skill expression in the combat of the remake series and the gargantuan rift of what a good player can do vs a player that doesn't even understand or use most of the mechanics. I'd say as far as you can get away from looking at it purely through personal taste I find it weird to deny its tactical nature.

Also in Rebirth with perfect block I dunno what else you want out of it being reactive. If you're a reaction god you're basically invincible to 95% of what the game has.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhLY5T2LSOc

Last edited:

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
You are not. 92 score is impressive, but that just tells me that it is a bit better than Remake which got 87 (I really did not like that game).
Maybe it is way better, but I don't believe the reviewers after Remake reviews.
There is a huge difference between 87 and 92 (close to 93 actually) in terms of video game scores though. Rebirth in it's 148 MC reviews has a single below 8 score of 78. The game is huge improvement compared to first one in a lot of ways. Ultimately it depends on what you really did not like about the first one.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Octopath 2 had some really nice tactical challenges. For example party-wipe moves with countdowns, where you're scrambling frantically to interrupt it over multiple rounds. Conditional invulnerabilities. Deadly damage-over-time attacks, locking your healer into keeping a single person alive. Moves which remove a party member, breaking your main strategy...

Rebirth has pretty much all of the stuff you mentioned above though. I do love Octopath 1 and 2. Some of my favorite games. Though I loved 2 I think it was way easier than 1. Maybe I was too familiar with thr systems already. Only the superboss felt stronger in 2.

It has been a while since I played Remake on normal mode but I feel like playing Rebirth on dynamic was a decent challange and the optional content + hard mode wiped me often, lol.

Last edited:

kur07

Mar 30, 2021
But given the build diversity and range of skill expression in the combat of the remake series and the gargantuan rift of what a good player can do vs a player that doesn't even understand or use most of the mechanics. I'd say as far as you can get away from looking at it purely through personal taste I find it weird to deny its tactical nature.

I never played rebirth, and I do hear combat has been improved in many ways.

FF7-remake style games (including 16) must have been hard to balance. The games are marketed as sorta-action games, presumably to make them appealing to a broader audience. You can pause to make the game easier, but they don't want you having to do it all the time. Consequently the games were designed to require less tactical decision making and have a lower overall difficulty.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I think people are talking about the PC and I agree with them when it comes to that.

I don't think we know whether Xbox got 20%/2 million out of the lifetime sales. At least for me, I only remember how it was 20% in the UK during launch. Outside of UK/US the % for Xbox is probably less than 20%. Whatever the numbers is, Sony's deals probably covered the profits+ some more.
PC is more responsible for growth for Yakuza and Persona than Xbox.

It'll be interesting to see P6 sales numbers.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Rebirth's tactics kinda happen in the materia screen, also it really depends on what difficulty you go for and what content. The game has very generous comeback mechanics in the form of the synergy and limit break systems, which will eventually allow you to brute force a boss you're fighting with a string of stunlocking moves and/or invulnerable power moves.

But the harder content requires some careful thinking and synergistic tactics. I think the gameplay is mainly designed to happen in its menus cause there's too many skills to shortcut. The difference in Rebirth is they made parries a hugely important thing now, but there's a materia for that also.

I think its combat system is probably asking a lot from a general audience tbh, it's probably close to the most deeply misunderstood combat system an FF has had, even more than junctioning or gambits. Anecdotally I've heard lots of people describe it as a war of attrition, with damage sponging enemies and unfair healing mechanics. I don't agree with any of that, the game provides interfaces around everything if you engage with it on its terms. But it's not an uncommon view wrt its systems, and so that is also a potential factor which can drive away people if they aren't hooked on its characters and world already

edit following up on the above discussion, Rebirth does have all those things. It's a much richer integration of standard RPG stuff within an action framework. However I do feel the balance has been tipped a bit too much towards action, like 60:40 in standard content and maybe 70:30 in harder content.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if the issues people have with the combat is partially because the enemies are way too squishy in the grasslands. You very easily can get by by just mashing and the enemies will melt. You are not forced to learn to assess every enemy and use their weakness and how to pressure them. Hell, even if you did all that and tried to exploit weakness and pressure/stagger them, they are so weak that they often die before you can do that! That causes players to learn the wrong lesson that mashing is better and trying tactics isn't needed and often doesn't work out before the enemy dies anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.