Status
Not open for further replies.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Absolutely. All internet polls are junk.

I agree that SE will benefit from going multiplatform, but I have my doubts as to how much they will benefit. They have a bit of a shaky record porting their games in general. Regarding the future Switch 2 in particular, who knows what they'll have to do to get these games running well. There's also the problem that people largely buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Approximately 0% of the many children getting Switch 2's for Christmas will be asking Santa for a copy of Final Fantasy VII: Repeat.

Nintendo Switch 2 release would at least definitely boost japanese numbers. Nintendo has a firm grip on the country while PS5 software is struggling there.

Besides that I feel like JRPGs are doing pretry good on the Switch I feel like.
Being a launch title would also be great since there is less competition on the platform but this is all just guessing anyway.

For that the Switch 2 would need to run the game, Switch 2 needs to be successful, Nintendo would have to want the game in their launch lineup and the most unlikely of all: SE would have to do a decent port on time.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think we actually have reliable numbers of how many units the Mass Effect games sold. In fact, that's something I've always wanted to know. That said, as I understand the sales increased from ME1 to ME2 and then from ME2 to ME3.

Of course they did. ME series actually expanded its platform availability. ME1 was timed exclusive for Xbox, then came to PC. Then ME2 came out on PC + Xbox at launch, then later to PS3. Then ME3 released on PC + xbox + PS3 at launch and then later Wiiu.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
I think the sheer amount of premium content that the the Trilogy packs will have will make them "must owns" over the long-term for JRPG fans or anybody looking for the biggest/meatiest RPG title of all time; there won't be an alternative, so it should be a hugely profitable long-term library title (as FFX/X-2 bundle has proven to be). $30-40 for FF7 trilogy bundle will move like hotcakes even in 10 or 15 years imo.
thing is...Rebirth is literally meant to be that. it's meant to be a must-own JRPG, it scored a whopping 92 MC after all. And we have data about the Twin Pack, Remake + Rebirth, and it's nothing impressive either

sure, the 3-parter bundle will be much more of a big deal, but as of now that "much more" has to be massively, insanely much more. who knows, it might be. but I wouldn't exactly call crazy to say it won't sell as much as the X/X-2 collection, let alone more than it

anyway, that's talk for years from now. SE is definitely focusing on how to increase sales for Rebirth and Part 3 right now

Of course they did. ME series actually expanded its platform availability. ME1 was timed exclusive for Xbox, then came to PC. Then ME2 came out on PC + Xbox at launch, then later to PS3. Then ME3 released on PC + xbox + PS3 at launch and then later Wiiu.
it also helped that ME1 was critically acclaimed, then ME2 was even more so

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like square is in a pretty weird spot. But I do think it would be incredibly foolish to slash the budget of part 3. They should've already settled on a budget a long time ago and some of the work on the game should've been done during part 2's development. The short term is already fucked it seems, so cheaping out and making a worse game will hurt them in the long run. And there's a lot of stuff they can reuse from this trilogy to help with development of new games. It sucks they can't just rely on straight up sales, but there's no reason why they can't look at this series as an investment. Just be more careful and don't do something like this in the future.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 reviewed better, whenever Persona 6 hits I wonder if it's gonna be starting the new gen of premier JRPGs. Between FF and Persona I feel the later also leans more into anyone in the Hoyoverse game crowd that isn't reluctant to play other games.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Seems like square is in a pretty weird spot. But I do think it would be incredibly foolish to slash the budget of part 3. They should've already settled on a budget a long time ago and some of the work on the game should've been done during part 2's development. The short term is already fucked it seems, so cheaping out and making a worse game will hurt them in the long run. And there's a lot of stuff they can reuse from this trilogy to help with development of new games. It sucks they can't just rely on straight up sales, but there's no reason why they can't look at this series as an investment. Just be more careful and don't do something like this in the future.
Seems like it'd be wise to do everything you can to finish strong and get that good will built up. Personally I feel there's a bit of a lag effect in perception and people are still kinda punishing them for 13 trilogy and 15 kinda reaction when it comes to 16 and 7 remake trilogy.

Plus the middle chapter thing definitely hurts and honestly...even though I have the game I've been hesitant to start it because I know it's like a 150 hour platinum with 500 mini games. I'll play it but only once the new release schedule halts a bit and I know I can devote that time. Stellar Blade being semi-linear has made me realize how much open world fatigue I've got recently.

Regardless finish this strong, hype up 16's PC release later this year, maybe do a complete package of all 3 remake games (probably on PS6 lol) with all the critical acclaim and stuff in trailers, and I think they'll still do some good profits.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's really nothing else that SE can do other than have CS1 end the Remake series on the highest note and have the PC port ready to go as soon as possible. Again, this deal was inked almost a decade ago under the old CEO in a market where it sounded like a surefire hit when Playstation didn't have half as many high profile exclusive games that had to compete with mind and market share for consumers.

We can only hope that whatever is going on with XVII was not also penned under Matsuda and that Kiryu is able to get it on as many platforms as possible. The back to back performances of XVI and Rebirth are series' lows even amidst mixed entries in the series like XII, XIII, and XV.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Strange thing is (I am sure it has been discussed) is that Mass Effect games all sold roughly equally. So either they had no dropoff between installments, or they managed to get new players who hadn't played the first or second one. Each game story is relatively better contained than the FF7r trilogy, but still. I know a lot of people did it, but I sort of can't imagine playing ME2 without playing ME1.

Either way, this makes me sad - I know my tastes are not reflective of the wider market at this point, but still, this is such a great game and labor of love, it deserved to sell more.
- the mass effect trilogy had like a 2 year wait in between games so the hype remained

- was an original story and not a remake. Remakes are always gonna have people go "the original did it better" and that goes double for a remake that changes so much like FF7

- continuing on from my previous point. there's a ton of people who don't know or care about a nearly 30 year old game getting remade and either skipped it entirely or played part 1 and went "huh, that was neat" and stopped paying attention to it

- the 10 dollar price increase combined really did way more damage than every stupid exec who pushed for imagined and it's actually kinda great how it backfired so hard for tons of games

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
It's moments like these that make me miss Navtra, wish we could have a SE leaker with that much inside info again.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Persona 5 reviewed better, whenever Persona 6 hits I wonder if it's gonna be starting the new gen of premier JRPGs. Between FF and Persona I feel the later also leans more into anyone in the Hoyoverse game crowd that isn't reluctant to play other games.
I can see Persona 6 outselling Rebirth if it hits all the right notes. Persona games have been hitting absurd amounts of critical acclaim for almost two decades now.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
At this rate P6 might sell more than 2 mil launch on PC alone depending on the hype.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
- the mass effect trilogy had like a 2 year wait in between games so the hype remained

- was an original story and not a remake. Remakes are always gonna have people go "the original did it better" and that goes double for a remake that changes so much like FF7

- continuing on from my previous point. there's a ton of people who don't know or care about a nearly 30 year old game getting remade and either skipped it entirely or played part 1 and went "huh, that was neat" and stopped paying attention to it

- the 10 dollar price increase combined really did way more damage than every stupid exec who pushed for imagined and it's actually kinda great how it backfired so hard for tons of games

I agree with most of your points, although I don't think the $10 made that much of a difference. (Maybe more so internationally where the difference in price is exacerbated.)

From a purely business standpoint, Capcom seems to have provided the gold standard for remakes with the Resident Evil series. Don't even put remake in the name, and don't turn one game into a trilogy. Of course, what SE has done isn't really a remake… which is, I think, also part of the problem.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Strange thing is (I am sure it has been discussed) is that Mass Effect games all sold roughly equally. So either they had no dropoff between installments, or they managed to get new players who hadn't played the first or second one. Each game story is relatively better contained than the FF7r trilogy, but still. I know a lot of people did it, but I sort of can't imagine playing ME2 without playing ME1.

Either way, this makes me sad - I know my tastes are not reflective of the wider market at this point, but still, this is such a great game and labor of love, it deserved to sell more.
To add to the other posts, the way mass effect did the different stories cut-off made sense and gave each one a clear defined goal unique to each game + the overarching one. First one you need to stop saren, second you need to stop the collectors. This made it easier to attract new customers in-between each one, since it gave the first and second clear defined goals to market around and shop to the customers.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
To add to the other posts, the way mass effect did the different stories cut-off made sense and gave each one a clear defined goal unique to each game + the overarching one. First one you need to stop saren, second you need to stop the collectors. This made it easier to attract new customers in-between each one, since it gave the first and second clear defined goals to market around and shop to the customers.
Yea, I see that (that's what I meant by each game story being better contained ). Still, playing ME3 without playing ME2 feels like blasphemy to me! Insane how quickly they managed to get the game out, too. Modern development cycles are just so absurdly long.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I'll probably spend more time in the 10000 post threads about the <100k physical sales in Japan than I will playing the game...
WLaUA5X.gif

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
thing is...Rebirth is literally meant to be that. it's meant to be a must-own JRPG, it scored a whopping 92 MC after all. And we have data about the Twin Pack, Remake + Rebirth, and it's nothing impressive either

sure, the 3-parter bundle will be much more of a big deal, but as of now that "much more" has to be massively, insanely much more. who knows, it might be. but I wouldn't exactly call crazy to say it won't sell as much as the X/X-2 collection, let alone more than it

anyway, that's talk for years from now. SE is definitely focusing on how to increase sales for Rebirth and Part 3 right now
Yeah, this has been a major learning experience about how JRPG sequels sell; a learning experience for the whole industry, not just Square.

I think if this had been a single game remake with an "unplanned" (i.e. public doesn't know about it) sequel (or two), it'd probably have done a lot better than being presented as a trilogy up front. That's probably the biggest takeaway for me. Nobody should ever tell the JRPG audience up front: "oh hey, you have to commit to this for 8-10 years across 3 games with an intricately weaved narrative." Most people will check out after the first game.

But you're right, SE needs to try to move more copies of Rebirth and then Part 3, but the problem is just that it's really hard to get people back on board once they've checked out...; other than getting it to PC faster (especially Steam) and perhaps considering trying to get Remake/Rebirth onto Switch 2/Xbox X, I'm not sure there's a quick turnaround button to push here.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I can see Persona 6 outselling Rebirth if it hits all the right notes. Persona games have been hitting absurd amounts of critical acclaim for almost two decades now.
Persona 6 is going to easily clear Rebirth in sales. Persona 5 was already very popular and they've only grown the audience since then through PC and through giving the keys to the toy box for all Game Pass users for all things Persona. On top of that, Persona 3 Reload just became the fastest Atlus game to reach 1 million sold. Persona 6 is gonna be a nuclear bomb of a release.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Rebirth is the kind of game SE might break out the forbidden words for, a quality Persona 6 will absolutely dust it, it's not even a maybe.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 sold 5+ million copies on the Playstation platform alone. I think its around ~8 million now that its multiplatform.

Persona 5 X mobile game just released and made over $12 million dollars in 2 weeks while FFVII Ever Crisis made about $11 million in its first 3 weeks. Different markets since its China/SK vs Japan/Global but still... EC has had a huge drop off from launch where its usually around $2-3 million a month. Rebirth barely bumped its numbers. It does worse than Fire Emblem Heroes. Hell just last month it was below FF War of the Visions.

Persona is as big if not bigger than single player Final Fantasy these days (I'd say XIV is still bigger).

Square went really hard on VII between the Remake project and various mobile spin-offs but its not really doing much for them financially (beyond Remake's initial success). Its a surprise for sure, I expected Rebirth to do better than XVI at least with a bigger install base. They should have had a Netflix live action show lined up for this year with Tom Holland Cloud. That's the new meta.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Rebirth has got me thinking way too much about narrative structure and sequels, lol. I love the game, but it certainly comes with far more baggage than your average sequel as many other users have said. I'd previously wondered -- particularly with ME3 -- whether it was detrimental that a lot of RPG sequels with ongoing narratives were designed for newcomers as much as returning players, but after Rebirth I can see why it's particularly imperative to do so for games. My previous frustration is also hypocritical to my own experience, as the amount of gaming franchises that I first played the sequels for is quite high, and worked out well in all instances.

The FFX/FFX-2 sequel discussion is interesting, too. I got into console gaming + the FF series at the end of the PS2 era, and I actually started FFX-2 before playing FFX. I was smitten: an all female party, the music, the dresspheres... I was in my Sailor Moon era, so that made things even better. I was having an amazing time with the game, but when I finally found a second hand copy of FFX, I bought it and switched over. I actually struggled with FFX for awhile after the highs of FFX-2's battle system, but FFX's story was so good that I fell in love with the game anyway. (I did spend a long time going: "...okay, so when do we meet Paine?") I didn't have full context of FFX's story when starting FFX-2, but I knew there had been loss, a drastic shift in the world, and Yuna was trying to find her place it it. It worked really well as a hook for me.

It must have been amazing playing ME1 -> ME2! It took awhile for both ME2 and ME1 to end up on Playstation, I kept hearing all these amazing things about a franchise I couldn't play, so I was thrilled when ME2 released on the PS3, even though ME1 wasn't available on the platform at the time. Rebirth has definitely given me a greater appreciation for how many clever narrative choices ME2 made for both new and returning players alike, as I was immediately invested in the world.

As you said in another post, I also have a hard time imagining playing ME3 without playing the prior two games, but I can see why it would work, too -- it certainly starts with an extremely high stakes bang, and continues from there. The game also has really good pacing throughout, so that helps, too. (Looking at the console release dates, did I actually play ME3 before ME1?! Surely that can't be right.)

Beaten! Absolutely, the ME trilogy was really clever at giving a new focus for each entry whilst maintaining the same overarching threat. It's harder for the Remake trilogy, as with each entry the threat remains the same: Shinra, with a greater threat of Sephiroth + Jenova. At least Remake does get some resolution with the power within Shinra shifting from the former President to Rufus, but Rebirth doesn't have the same benefit. I retrospectively wish they'd held Sephiroth back more until Rebirth.

The Witcher series is also really good at following an existing protagonist with ongoing relationships while exploring mostly standalone stories with Geralt for each game, so it's also extremely friendly to newcomers.

Regarding Mass Effect, I really like that thematically every game in the trilogy explores a similar theme of leadership, but each game examines it through a different lens. ME1 explores what it means to be a leader and the hard choices that come with that, and ME2 highlights the importance of knowing your team well and their strengths and weakness, and ME3 fittingly combines both, whilst highlighting the importance of appreciating every moment. It'll be interesting to look back on the Remake trilogy and see what thematically defines each entry. Rebirth definitely has more of a focus of comradery, relationships, and bonds, which I've really enjoyed.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Watching FF not be the top dog for JRPG against Persona is both amazing (hats off to Atlus) and sad. Never thought I would see the day where it would even remotely be challenged.

I think part of this stems from FF lack of identity, which has gotten worse starting with 11. Persona on the other hand I feel like found its identity with 3 and has been building momentum on top of it since.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Persona 6 is going to easily clear Rebirth in sales. Persona 5 was already very popular and they've only grown the audience since then through PC and through giving the keys to the toy box for all Game Pass users for all things Persona. On top of that, Persona 3 Reload just became the fastest Atlus game to reach 1 million sold. Persona 6 is gonna be a nuclear bomb of a release.
Yea I think Persona 6 is going to be huge. It's kinda shocking to see because even just a year ago, I fee like people were saying that a Persona game could never outsell a mainline FF game. It's most likely a combination of extremely good WoM, multiplat, and plenty of discounts. I just checked concurrent numbers for steam and Royal was hitting 25,000 this weekend due to the golden week discount, which is almost twice as high as remake's peak on steam.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Yea I think Persona 6 is going to be huge. It's kinda shocking to see because even just a year ago, I fee like people were saying that a Persona game could never outsell a mainline FF game.
hats off to Atlus, but also SE has been absolutely abismal with FF for over 20 years. ever since XII, they really only made "decent" to bad choices with the franchise outside of XIV 2.0

and XV still proves that even when doing decent to awful choices (depending on what you thought XV was for you), the franchise can still absolutely dominate other JRPGs and even compete with the top dogs in gaming. Imagine a XV that has a stellar release, and amazing wom.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 6 is going to smoke Remake, XVI, and Rebirth's sales more than likely as long as its not platform exclusive, which Sega/Atlus seem to have moved away from. If it releases on Switch 2 day and date with the other platforms it will be no contest as well.

Persona is as big if not bigger than single player Final Fantasy these days (I'd say XIV is still bigger).

You can't really compare single player offline games to MMOs, its an apples and oranges comparison. For MMOs, WoW is still king. Yes, XIV is popular and profitable.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
hats off to Atlus, but also SE has been absolutely abismal with FF for over 20 years. ever since XII, they really only made "decent" to bad choices with the franchise outside of XIV 2.0

and XV still proves that even when doing decent to awful choices (depending on what you thought XV was for you), the franchise can still absolutely dominate other JRPGs and even compete with the top dogs in gaming. Imagine a XV that has a stellar release, and amazing wom.
You're absolutely right. I think it's the perception of FF/SE over the last 15 years rather than exclusivity(although that has certainly played a role). As someone in their mid 20s, people have been ranting about modern FF being awful ever since I've been old enough to engage in online discourse. For younger fans, all they hear is that old FF is good and new FF is bad/mediocre. The brand is strong so SE sees high numbers anyway, but if they're looking for a hit like Elden Ring or Zelda, they need to fix that perception. Rebirth is a good start, but I think that it being the second game in the triology hinders the amount of good it can do for the FF franchise.

FFXV would have been huge if it got Rebirth scores. And I don't mean huge as in "one of the best FF games." I think it would have flat out outsold VII and X. It was in the position to do it, but unfortunately the wom wasn't strong enough.

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020

I feel like XV was the critical point that could've in theory been FF's BOTW moment but instead was a botched, negative moment the franchise. It had an absurd marketing campaign, a gigantic multimedia push, and had like a decade of hype behind it, and was to be the first Open World FF game at a time where that was even more of a boost than it is now.
All the game had to do was... be Rebirth, essentially. Instead we got an incredibly divisive and blatantly unfinished title that sold half its units in like the first day and slowly crawled to 10 million over the next decade, and it's immensely high profile combined with divisive word of mouth caused what I think is fairly significant damage to Final Fantasy's image, although their more recent releases have certainly recovered that at least in quality.

idiotmode

Jul 30, 2022
I think it's still possible for FF to sell and be top dogs I mean all things considered no JRPG released this year match either XVI or FF 7 Remake in week one sales. Like imagine a multiplatform XVII getting Remake/XVI's score or even Rebirth's reception and it's available on every platform. If that somehow sold poorly I'd be legitimately shocked as to me the biggest shackle to FF selling isn't quality or reception. At this point, the games have their upsides and flaws on an individual level but I'd say so do all the growing JRPG franchises.

Not one was a perfect game (obviously) and Rebirth with its reception is lagging behind DD2 and XVI which have both been very contentious in their respective communities post release even with decent overall reception so imagine a very loved XVII launching without platform exclusivity I'd genuinely bet money on it not doing sub 4-5 million week one. If they're developing XVII with the Switch 2 in mind? I might even guess higher. I'm hoping against hope that XVII is our first PC day one FF, because I'd be genuinely so intrigued to see how it would perform. If even Relink which had little in the way of advertising it's PC port had 100k players active at one point I wonder what an FF launching to that community could do with no delayed release.

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Watching FF not be the top dog for JRPG against Persona is both amazing (hats off to Atlus) and sad. Never thought I would see the day where it would even remotely be challenged.

I think part of this stems from FF lack of identity, which has gotten worse starting with 11. Persona on the other hand I feel like found its identity with 3 and has been building momentum on top of it since.

Nah, lack of identity is nothing. FFXV would not have sold so well if it was an issue, it was the biggest non-mmo departure.

If anything changing things up is a boon judging by FFXVI's sales vs Rebirth's.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
I think it's still possible for FF to sell and be top dogs I mean all things considered
XV sold 5mil day one and that was 8 years ago all things considered. clock is ticking but I think there's more than enough chance for any new FF to blow up, if the right opportunity shows up again

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I think it's still possible for FF to sell and be top dogs I mean all things considered no JRPG released this year match either XVI or FF 7 Remake in week one sales. Like imagine a multiplatform XVII getting Remake/XVI's score or even Rebirth's reception and it's available on every platform. If that somehow sold poorly I'd be legitimately shocked as to me the biggest shackle to FF selling isn't quality or reception. At this point, the games have their upsides and flaws on an individual level but I'd say so do all the growing JRPG franchises.

Not one was a perfect game (obviously) and Rebirth with its reception is lagging behind DD2 and XVI which have both been very contentious in their respective communities post release even with decent overall reception so imagine a very loved XVII launching without platform exclusivity I'd genuinely bet money on it not doing sub 4-5 million week one. If they're developing XVII with the Switch 2 in mind? I might even guess higher. I'm hoping against hope that XVII is our first PC day one FF, because I'd be genuinely so intrigued to see how it would perform. If even Relink which had little in the way of advertising it's PC port had 100k players active at one point I wonder what an FF launching to that community could do with no delayed release.
What are we defining as top dog? I don't see a XVII matching Ragonrak's numbers if it's around mid 80s for review scores, even if it's multiplat. And yes while every game does have its flaws, people viewed XIII and XV with more contempt than pretty much any other game in the franchise.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I know we don't like to admit this most of the time, but Pokemon is absolutely the top dog RPG series from Japan and if Z-A were releasing this year it would be the biggest

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, lack of identity is nothing. FFXV would not have sold so well if it was an issue, it was the biggest non-mmo departure.

If anything changing things up is a boon judging by FFXVI's sales vs Rebirth's.

I don't think comparing a second entry in a trilogy to a standalone entry means much, and ironically if I compare XVI to XV it tells the opposite story that changing isn't always for the best. That's what I'm getting at. Since XI I would wager that the FF community has become increasingly more divided bc each entry has been wildly different.

If someone said FFXVII is going to be an FPS I wouldn't be shocked, and that's not a good thing imo.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is absolutely the top dog of the genre.
That said when you look at how Fromsoft and Capcom have nurtured their IPs especially Fromsoft doing it from something that people would have considered as niche as Jrpgs at one point and again the same thing really for Larian and CRPGs I think there is some thinking to be done about how to grow on Square's side.

But the whole perceived sales cap because of genre thing was a discussion that already happened in the early pages of this thread so no reason to repeat it again.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Many people don't count Pokemon as a JRPG for...reasons. Some people also conveniently ignore it when they try to argue that no one plays turn based games anymore.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Rebirth has got me thinking way too much about narrative structure and sequels, lol. I love the game, but it certainly comes with far more baggage than your average sequel as many other users have said. I'd previously wondered -- particularly with ME3 -- whether it was detrimental that a lot of RPG sequels with ongoing narratives were designed for newcomers as much as returning players, but after Rebirth I can see why it's particularly imperative to do so for games. My previous frustration is also hypocritical to my own experience, as the amount of gaming franchises that I first played the sequels for is quite high, and worked out well in all instances.

The FFX/FFX-2 sequel discussion is interesting, too. I got into console gaming + the FF series at the end of the PS2 era, and I actually started FFX-2 before playing FFX. I was smitten: an all female party, the music, the dresspheres... I was in my Sailor Moon era, so that made things even better. I was having an amazing time with the game, but when I finally found a second hand copy of FFX, I bought it and switched over. I actually struggled with FFX for awhile after the highs of FFX-2's battle system, but FFX's story was so good that I fell in love with the game anyway. (I did spend a long time going: "...okay, so when do we meet Paine?") I didn't have full context of FFX's story when starting FFX-2, but I knew there had been loss, a drastic shift in the world, and Yuna was trying to find her place it it. It worked really well as a hook for me.

It must have been amazing playing ME1 -> ME2! It took awhile for both ME2 and ME1 to end up on Playstation, I kept hearing all these amazing things about a franchise I couldn't play, so I was thrilled when ME2 released on the PS3, even though ME1 wasn't available on the platform at the time. Rebirth has definitely given me a greater appreciation for how many clever narrative choices ME2 made for both new and returning players alike, as I was immediately invested in the world.

As you said in another post, I also have a hard time imagining playing ME3 without playing the prior two games, but I can see why it would work, too -- it certainly starts with an extremely high stakes bang, and continues from there. The game also has really good pacing throughout, so that helps, too. (Looking at the console release dates, did I actually play ME3 before ME1?! Surely that can't be right.)

Beaten! Absolutely, the ME trilogy was really clever at giving a new focus for each entry whilst maintaining the same overarching threat. It's harder for the Remake trilogy, as with each entry the threat remains the same: Shinra, with a greater threat of Sephiroth + Jenova. At least Remake does get some resolution with the power within Shinra shifting from the former President to Rufus, but Rebirth doesn't have the same benefit. I retrospectively wish they'd held Sephiroth back more until Rebirth.

The Witcher series is also really good at following an existing protagonist with ongoing relationships while exploring mostly standalone stories with Geralt for each game, so it's also extremely friendly to newcomers.

Regarding Mass Effect, I really like that thematically every game in the trilogy explores a similar theme of leadership, but each game examines it through a different lens. ME1 explores what it means to be a leader and the hard choices that come with that, and ME2 highlights the importance of knowing your team well and their strengths and weakness, and ME3 fittingly combines both, whilst highlighting the importance of appreciating every moment. It'll be interesting to look back on the Remake trilogy and see what thematically defines each entry. Rebirth definitely has more of a focus of comradery, relationships, and bonds, which I've really enjoyed.
I think your experiences really capture the heart of the issue of sequels:

Where FFX-2 succeeded: FFX-2 followed the female lead but kept the story accessible to newcomers (female party traveling around in the aftermath of Yu Yevon's defeat + having suffered a major loss). Even if FFX had a good completion rate, there probably were at least some newcomers that tried FFX-2 because of the various hooks that it had (but it also provided the epilogue for those that were seeking more of the story from FFX).

For a variety of reasons the FF13 sequels sold poorly, but plot was a major issue (as well as the likeability of the characters, though Lightning was always popular in Japan, but removing her basically from 13-2 didn't work because I never felt that fans of 13 were attached to Serah in the same way that X fans would have been attached to Yuna). It's really hard to build a sequel around the primary NPC. And of course Lightning Returns was too late to fix the issues of 13-2 and being a sequel to that made it an even tougher sell.

Witcher is a good point for how to handle an ongoing protagonist in a way that's accessible.

FF7 Rebirth (and the 3rd game as well) is never going to be viewed as accessible to newcomers.

Ultimately, with FF7 trilogy, they decided to make one gigantic story that is divided into 3 games as opposed to 3 linked stories that form a trilogy. That's why we are where we are. It's why we have posters making Hobbit analogies.

Anybody that hears "FF7 Rebirth was a great game, you should play it" is going to go play Remake first so they can at least situate themselves for Rebirth, and some of those players may not even reach Rebirth. The same will happen with the 3rd game; it will send people to try Remake and then Rebirth, but there's going to be heavy attrition before any player gets to the 3rd game.

It's why I go back to a point I made earlier: I think they would have been better off (at least from a sales perspective) of making a single game remake of FF7 with some added multiverse threads that could tie to sequels. Maybe it'd end up in the same place, but at least sales wise, it'd be easier to bring newcomers in (or original FF7 fans that might have skipped the remake could enter the story as could people that have never played FF7).

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think comparing a second entry in a trilogy to a standalone entry means much, and ironically if I compare XVI to XV it tells the opposite story that changing isn't always for the best. That's what I'm getting at. Since XI I would wager that the FF community has become increasingly more divided bc each entry has been wildly different.

If someone said FFXVII is going to be an FPS I wouldn't be shocked, and that's not a good thing imo.

I don't think FFXVI matching FFXV's launch sales would have been hard if it launched on PC as well.

Also people overplay the genre shifting, we've had four ARPGs since FFXV, 99% chance FFXVII will be an ARPG.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think FFXVI matching FFXV's launch sales would have been hard if it launched on PC as well.

Also people overplay the genre shifting, we've had four ARPGs since FFXV, 99% chance FFXVII will be an ARPG.

I'm not just talking about since XV with ARPG, hence why I mention since XI. We're not going to agree, it's fine.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Yeah, FF has been living in Pokemon's shadow for ages.
FF is big sure, but I think we might be taking a bigger step than needed here lol. FF doesn't have to compete with Pokemon in the slightest to massively grow in size and audience

we are talking about the biggest media franchise in the history of humankind, and there's not really any competition for that number 1 spot lol

idk, XV was the big shift of the franchise, it went full real time action and it was open world (and not well received either) and it's still one of the most succesful games in the franchise, far beyond XVI and Remake/Rebirth

now you can argue that constant change is a bad thing, and then maybe you gotta point, but FF only constantly changes (or so I believe) because they never really hit a homerun. XV made money but it was troublesome with it's reception, XVI is so so and now Rebirth reviewed amazingly but is selling, apparently, very poorly.

or maybe even if they have a breakout hit they won't stop changing, who knows lol

Status
Not open for further replies.