• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
even if it is only 8/10 mil, which is a wild assumption, then SE is still doing something wrong if they cant catch up with the sales of their own games from 8 years ago. there's no other possible perception of FF's sales since then that doesn't prove the series isn't in decline. it's just numbers....going down, in a similar period.

oh yeah, absolutely it was gaming mainstream, but I thought we were talking more about general entertainment mainstream. BotW/TotK was mainstream entertainment because gaming has reached that point where that can happen (and happen more consistently) and because Nintendo absolutely hit it out of the park with the games, the consoles, their marketing plan, etc. it influenced entire other ecosystems like youtube, tik tok, twitter, instagram, news outlets, etc. it formed a zeitgeist that even if you were into gaming, you could be influenced by it. similar to Elden Ring in 2022 or New Horizons in the pandemic

but no one thought that Zelda could do that, specially after Skyward Sword. you could very much argue that 8m was the ceiling for it back then, except it really wasnt.
Honestly, ceilings are kinda a myth. People were literally saying that CRPGs couldn't be popular until BG3 came out. I also remember people saying the Souls couldn't be popular because they were too hard and unforgiving. Now we have several developers chasing after that Soulslike feel because it's so popular.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Honestly, ceilings are kinda a myth. People were literally saying that CRPGs couldn't be popular until BG3 came out. I also remember people saying the Souls couldn't be popular because they were too hard and unforgiving. Now we have several developers chasing after that Soulslike feel because it's so popular.
Part of the ceiling myth is pretending that now popular AAA games were always inherently popular, not games that were intentionally popularized over a long period by deliberate choices and nurturing (on part of both developers and publishers) until they hit breakout point.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
There is a big difference when you are talking about crpgs like Pillars of Eternity, compared to BG3, which has many trappings of an AAA third person open zone rpg. Similarly Souls games grew in sales with every iteration, and ER really hit it off as an open world action rpg. The biggest games taking inspiration from Souls like GOW and Jedi, are again massive AAA games from popular franchises. Context is key.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Pulling this from my ass, but maybe the takeaway from BG3, BotW, ER, and FF15 is that open worlds that are decently integrated sell. Or in the case of BG3, bigger open zones. Rebirth may fit this description, I haven't played it, but I hear it's more of the Ubisoft flavor which doesn't seem to resonate as much anymore.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Pulling this from my ass, but maybe the takeaway from BG3, BotW, ER, and FF15 is that open worlds that are decently integrated sell. Or in the case of BG3, bigger open zones. Rebirth may fit this description, I haven't played it, but I hear it's more of the Ubisoft flavor which doesn't seem to resonate as much anymore.
Open worlds sell, that should not be a surprise. I think Rebirth's issues has less to do with Ubi flavour ones because they are still selling massively, especially Ubi's own.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Open worlds sell, that should not be a surprise. I think Rebirth's issues has less to do with Ubi flavour ones because they are still selling massively, especially Ubi's own.
I don't necessarily think the open world content is one of the reason's its not selling, but I just want to say that even Ubisoft's open worlds aren't as handholdy as Rebirth nowadays (or at least Valhalla wasn't, from what I remember, haven't played another Ubi open world since). I remember a lot more genuine exploration in Valhalla when compared to Rebirth, at least.

Rebirth's open world content delivery is like 2010-era Ubisoft.

But, like I said, I doubt it had an effect on sales. That's mostly a complaint from grumpy enthusiasts like yours truly.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Does this mean that Ubi should make the next FF game? 🤔
Lol no, but it could not hurt if they went open world with their next standalone right?

I don't necessarily think the open world content is one of the reason's its not selling, but I just want to say that even Ubisoft's open worlds aren't as handholdy as Rebirth nowadays (or at least Valhalla wasn't, from what I remember, haven't played another Ubi open world since). I remember a lot more genuine exploration in Valhalla when compared to Rebirth, at least.

Rebirth's open world content delivery is like 2010-era Ubisoft.

But, like I said, I doubt it had an effect on sales. That's mostly a complaint from grumpy enthusiasts like yours truly.
There is definitely a lot more to this than it being about the open world.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
There is a big difference when you are talking about crpgs like Pillars of Eternity, compared to BG3, which has many trappings of an AAA third person open zone rpg. Similarly Souls games grew in sales with every iteration, and ER really hit it off as an open world action rpg. The biggest games taking inspiration from Souls like GOW and Jedi, are again massive AAA games from popular franchises. Context is key.
People were literally saying that in reference to BG3. And for souls when don't even have to look at Elden Ring, DS3 was way more popular than what people would have expected in the past.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
i think the biggest point of contemption is that people talk about ceiling as if FF is hitting that ceiling. if there is one, it hit with XV and has been very obviously declining since then. there's really no other way around that fact, and strangely some people really don't want to accept that

i dont think it had a negative effect on sales, but it definitely didnt help much either. open worlds, sometimes, sell a lot of because of 1. the initial wave when a good open world is launched is huge, and massively affects wom (like botw, rdr2, elden ring); 2. a very interactive open world makes way for tons of content being made, which helps the longevity of a game

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Rebirth does fall into that big open world description but it's actually one of the best open world games (technically multiple big open regions) I've played in many years, so it should be selling great if it was "open worlds that are decently integrated sell" because Rebirth's world is awesome and it doesn't even force you to do any of it, if you choose to ignore it and just play for the story, so it doesn't seem like that would be what's stopping some people buying it.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I love Rebirth but some of the open world praise for it feels a bit weird. Like most open worlds do not force you to do the side stuff. That's why it's side stuff. That's not really special.

Imo as someone that has played a lot of these where Rebirth mostly stands out for me is region design and a decent amount of verticality(that some people complain about being too confusing! I like it though).

As for the actual activities you do in Rebirth it feels very familiar to me. The main special is probably that you get a some sort of new minigame in each region but even that is like shades of Like a Dragon to me and not some insane revelation of true innovation.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
i dont think it had a negative effect on sales, but it definitely didnt help much either. open worlds, sometimes, sell a lot of because of 1. the initial wave when a good open world is launched is huge, and massively affects wom (like botw, rdr2, elden ring); 2. a very interactive open world makes way for tons of content being made, which helps the longevity of a game
I think you may be on to something there. Think about social media engagement with things like Elden Ring, like people posting videos of them randomly finding the elevator to Siofra River or even just "wtf there's a cave here" clips.

A lot of modern games seem to pop off when there's enough dynamism to them to make a moment feel like your own. Elden Ring had it's impeccable sense of discovery, TOTK had its physics and building systems, BG3 had it's choice and consequence and reactivity. Rebirth doesn't have anything like that. Notice how so much of the social media discourse for Rebirth is around shipping. Maybe part of that is because its something you actually have more genuine control over via the affection mechanics.

The whole game, from it's open world to its combat, is very rigid. Most players are going to have the same experiences

Let's just give a hypothetical: What if, instead of marking manasprings or specific combat encounters on your map to get currency to buy materia from Chadley, Materia were more often placed in the open world, and gave a glow that could be seen from a distance. So I see a materia glowing in the distance, I need to figure out how to get there. I make my way to it and, as I approach, oh shit, three tonberries attack me out of the blue, oh shit. I defeat them and get a cool new Materia (thus horizontal progression) for doing so. So now I get a small little story of my own in which I came across a cool, unmarked secret, foudn my way to it, had a fight against an iconic enemy, and got a good reward for doing so. Sure, plenty of people will find it and have that same story, but the fact that it was self-driven gives the player some ownership over it.

I don't know if that kind of stuff would have made it pop off on social media, but I can say that I would have found it more engaging, and I would have loved to have seen and heard about the things people found while exploring. The open world discussions as it is are going to be more about if you did enough homework to get X materia.

Rebirth does fall into that big open world description but it's actually one of the best open world games (technically multiple big open regions) I've played in many years, so it should be selling great if it was "open worlds that are decently integrated sell" because Rebirths world is awesome and it doesn't even force you to do any of it, if you choose to ignore it and just play for the story, so it doesn't seem like that would be what's stopping some people buying it.
As someone who's enjoyed a few open world games over the past few years, I personally feel like Rebirth's is one of the lesser ones I've played in a while. It's beautiful, for sure, but the way it delivers content was actively detrimental to my immersion within it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As someone who's enjoyed a few open world games over the past few years, I personally feel like Rebirth's is one of the lesser ones I've played in a while. It's beautiful, for sure, but the way it delivers content was actively detrimental to my immersion within it.

Guess it's down to different tastes and what people like / don't like. I normally do a few open world things and move on with a games story in many open world games but Rebirth really nailed it for me, the different gameplay elements it introduces constantly, the combat gameplay, side quests, open world tasks, it all had me hooked. I completed every single area before moving on and I didn't even feel burnt out by it, which is not normal for me, so it definitely got it right for my tastes anyway.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
People were literally saying that in reference to BG3. And for souls when don't even have to look at Elden Ring, DS3 was way more popular than what people would have expected in the past.
The Souls series grew with each iteration, so it does not really matter what the comments tried to make it out to be. BG3 as a mainstream success, look at what the game is and how it sells. Being a crpg alone does not give the full picture of how it became so successful.

i think the biggest point of contemption is that people talk about ceiling as if FF is hitting that ceiling. if there is one, it hit with XV and has been very obviously declining since then. there's really no other way around that fact, and strangely some people really don't want to accept that
Unless the name FF is somehow the problem, they are a gameplay or structural change away from attracting a bigger audience.

Sep 30, 2023
It seems like a fool's errand to benchmark Rebirth's sales against Remake considering the latter released during the early lockdown period of the pandemic. If we're being honest with ourselves, FF7 Remake likely overperformed with a "COVID bump" given the time and circumstances during which it was released.

What's probably most interesting to me is that conventional wisdom was always that a remake of FF7 was the "break glass in case of emergency" game that would generate massive sales if Square Enix was ever in trouble. In hindsight, that doesn't appear to be the case, at least in the gaming landscape that exists 23+ years after FF7's original release.

At this point, the execution of the FF7 Remake trilogy feels more like a headwind to gaining new players, in that it's not only a "sequel" to the original FF7 but it's divided into three parts instead of having one simple, self-contained entry point. It feels like Rebirth as a game (it's open world, battle system, mechanics, etc.) could've been a breakout hit for Square Enix with big sales numbers if it was wrapped in an original story, as a Final Fantasy 17, rather than being tied to the middle third of a quasi-remake/quasi-sequel of a 27-year-old game.

Last edited:

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
The Souls series grew with each iteration, so it does not really matter what the comments tried to make it out to be. BG3 as a mainstream success, look at what the game is and how it sells. Being a crpg alone does not give the full picture of how it became so successful.
So why shouldn't they matter for souls when they apparently matter for JRPGs, or whatever genre people are discussing at the time? When people say there is a ceiling, it mean's that X game can't sell more than an arbitrary amout of copies because of a specific trait. It doesn't really matter what the game is doing differently. My point is there always seems to be a "ceiling" until something comes a long a proves that there really isn't one. Most of the time it's just about a good game having the right circumstance.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
With FF games leaving Plus I assume MS is going to renew them for GamePass.

And although I don't expect FF16 to be announced for Xbox before PC at the Xbox Showcase, eventually it will probably make its way to Xbox too.

FF16 though probably won't be a gamepass game though, maybe release on PS Plus EXTRA next year instead.

Which basically means Square is going to take a double dip approach again as games saturate on PS/PC. Getting that extra bag of cash through sub services deals.

But even with all of that I don't assume FF7 will release on anything else but PC and PS moving forward, even for the third game because I am of those that also believe that the contract signed was probably for a 3 game deal.

Last edited:

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
So why shouldn't they matter for souls when they apparently matter for JRPGs, or whatever genre people are discussing at the time? When people say there is a ceiling, it mean's that X game can't sell more than an arbitrary amout of copies because of a specific trait. It doesn't really matter what the game is doing differently. My point is there always seems to be a "ceiling" until something comes a long a proves that there really isn't one. Most of the time it's just about a good game having the right circumstance.
I am in agreement here that ceilings are meant to be broken with changes to a formula. Nothing is really ever set in stone and trends change, even if one genre has a long history of being signficantly popular or unpopular.

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020
This feels like less of a known quantity and more like something that might have been true fifteen years ago that people are just assuming is still true today. Capcom and Sega/Atlus seem happy with how their games are performing on Xbox.
Capcom games inherently have a wider appeal than JRPGs, at least to the current gaming audience. That much isn't surprising.

We still have zero clue how a popular JRPG without gamepass (not named final fantasy) will perform on Xbox today - the Personas charted way higher and for much longer on PC gamepass, while Persona 5 and P3R charted briefly on Xbox before falling off a cliff and 4 + P3P I don't think charted at all on Xbox.

Persona 6 is basically going to be the final word on whether or not JRPGs can sell decently on Xbox - if it does well, then clearly it's proof that a JRPG audience on Xbox can actually be cultivated. If not, then nothing will move the needle at this point.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
We still have zero clue how a popular JRPG without gamepass (not named final fantasy) will perform on Xbox today - the Personas charted way higher and for much longer on PC gamepass, while Persona 5 and P3R charted briefly on Xbox before falling off a cliff and 4 + P3P I don't think charted at all on Xbox.
We have more than 0 clue. Infinite Wealth opened at #9 on PlayStation in the Circana charts and #8 on Xbox. The PlayStation total number is gonna be higher than the Xbox one because it's just the bigger install base, but after controlling for population size and geography it doesn't seem that genre is as big of deal as people make it out to be.

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020
We have more than 0 clue. Infinite Wealth opened at #9 on PlayStation in the Circana charts and #8 on Xbox. The PlayStation total number is gonna be higher than the Xbox one because it's just the bigger install base, but after controlling for population size and geography it doesn't seem that genre is as big of deal as people make it out to be.
Huh, that's decent enough and more or less in line with LaD's overall popularity. Granted, sales splits are still going to look atrocious due to Xbox's irrelevance in Asia, but that's asking for more than what they can possibly deliver. Decent enough performance in NA is good enough.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Persona 6 is basically going to be the final word on whether or not JRPGs can sell decently on Xbox - if it does well, then clearly it's proof that a JRPG audience on Xbox can actually be cultivated. If not, then nothing will move the needle at this point.

I don't agree that one game would ever be "the final word" on whether a genre can ever sell on a platform. That's just silly.

I'm just saying that 360-era stereotypes about who is playing games on the platform aren't necessarily still accurate. It's not just the platform for dudebros playing CoD any more — there's a higher percentage of women playing on Xbox than there is on PS, for example.

You know what would help SE sell RPGs on Xbox? Releasing RPGs on Xbox. Their support of the platform has been scattershot and unpredictable; drawing a conclusion that "whelp, I guess Xbox gamers just don't like our games" after their support so far would be asinine. Their goal should be to build a market for their games beyond the market that already plays them, but they can't keep getting in their own way with their support for Xbox and PC.

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020
I don't agree that one game would ever be "the final word" on whether a genre can ever sell on a platform. That's just silly.

I'm just saying that 360-era stereotypes about who is playing games on the platform aren't necessarily still accurate. It's not just the platform for dudebros playing CoD any more — there's a higher percentage of women playing on Xbox than there is on PS, for example.

You know what would help SE sell RPGs on Xbox? Releasing RPGs on Xbox. Their support of the platform has been scattershot and unpredictable; drawing a conclusion that "whelp, I guess Xbox gamers just don't like our games" after their support so far would be asinine. Their goal should be to build a market for their games beyond the market that already plays them, but they can't keep getting in their own way with their support for Xbox and PC.
Sega has been supporting Xbox with Persona for years now trying to build a large a fanbase as possible for their eventually releases. If that doesn't move the needle, genuinely what will? If it doesn't sell well, then what JRPG franchise could possibly justify caring about the Xbox at that point? You would be left with maybe only Final Fantasy having the ability to potentially move units. Now Yakuza has apparently done decently, so that's probably a positive sign - but really? It's not a publishers job to cultivate a genre on an entire platform - ports to Switch sell well regardless of any pre-existing fanbase or not.

This is Microsoft's issue to solve, not any individual publisher. Even Capcom doesn't care to port games like Monster Hunter Stories without gamepass money.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Sega has been supporting Xbox with Persona for years now trying to build a large a fanbase as possible for their eventually releases. If that doesn't move the needle, genuinely what will? If it doesn't sell well, then what JRPG franchise could possibly justify caring about the Xbox at that point? You would be left with maybe only Final Fantasy having the ability to potentially move units. Now Yakuza has apparently done decently, so that's probably a positive sign - but really? It's not a publishers job to cultivate a genre on an entire platform - ports to Switch sell well regardless of any pre-existing fanbase or not.

This is Microsoft's issue to solve, not any individual publisher. Even Capcom doesn't care to port games like Monster Hunter Stories without gamepass money.
I feel like this whole post isn't really responding to what I said, but okay.

It's not Square Enix's job to make JRPGs popular on Xbox, but it is Square Enix's job to make Final Fantasy as popular as possible on all platforms. If there's a potential market for FF on Xbox (and there is), and they ignore it because of outdated or overly conservative thinking, they are doing their shareholders a disservice.

This is the same company that released the Kingdom Hearts games on PC exclusively through EGS years ago and apparently decided that was good enough and seemingly has no plans to ever put them on Steam, where (*checks notes*) all the buyers are, so I'm not buying that Square Enix is necessarily super smart about this and they must know something we don't about the potential for Japanese games on Xbox. Other Japanese studios are enjoying success with their Japanese games on Xbox. SE have made strange and downright bizarre decisions regarding which platforms and storefronts they support for years.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
www.gamesindustry.biz

Japanese physical sales neared $3bn in 2023 | Japan Annual Report

Almost $3 billion was spent on boxed games and hardware in Japan last year, according to Famitsu's annual report.The to…

There was a thread about the article as well, but it didn't generate much discussion.
sorry, maybe i am dumb and missing it. i only see this article describing the physical sales total, but not in relation to the digital sales. so it doesn't tell us the distribution between physical and digital sales

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
sorry, maybe i am dumb and missing it. i only see this article describing the physical sales total, but not in relation to the digital sales. so it doesn't tell us the distribution between physical and digital sales
There is no reason to believe that there's an extra $3 billion or more unaccounted for making up a share of digital sales in that market (which is what your prior estimate of a 50/50 split would imply).

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There is no reason to believe that there's an extra $3 billion or more making up a share of digital sales in that market.
do you have numbers for the total market? otherwise you're just making an assumption and passing it off as data. i mean, i would love for you to be right, because i much prefer games on physical media over digital versions, but you're kinda pulling your thesis out of your ass

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I think that at this point it would be best for SE to cancel non JP voice acting for the sequel to save money., and bring part 3 sooner to market to salvage this.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
do you have numbers for the total market? otherwise you're just making an assumption and passing it off as data. i mean, i would love for you to be right, because i much prefer games on physical media over digital versions, but you're kinda pulling your thesis out of your ass
Then you can go scouring for them yourself if that's going to be how you answer me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
people insist that its mostly physical, i believe them, but i also find it highly unlikely that there isnt at least a growing digital share like everywhere else in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Then you can go scouring for them yourself if that's going to be how you answer me.
i mean i didn't mean to be rude, but if you didn't have the answer to my initial question, why did you answer it. i was asking for data, not gueaswork, because i am lacking the data myself. i just don't think we should assume the digital/physical split is heavily tilted towards physical, just because it has been in the past. that was the case elsewhere as well, and then the market shifted. maybe japan is different from everywhere else, but we don't know that

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
I think that at this point it would be best for SE to cancel non JP voice acting for the sequel to save money., and bring part 3 sooner to market to salvage this.

This is a terrible idea and a great way to piss off the people that bought Rebirth and like the English VA's and don't want to have to read subtitles on everything.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
There was outrage when Blazblue cut English voice acting.

FF would be torn apart if they did that and they'd deserve it, haha.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
it doesnt make any sense whatsoever for Square to decrease any level of quality for part 3, since out of all 3 games, it's technically the "easiest" (almost a decade of team experience) to knock it out of the park and consolidate the trilogy, attract new consumers, gain trust, etc

by decreasing "anything" for part 3, you are just overall diminishing the, already not amazing, potential sales of the 3rd part and the overall trilogy and making it worse for the company's public opinion, and you wouldnt even "salvage" nearly enough the money that could offset those things

ironically, or not, the smartest thing here is to just...do part 3 normally, close up the trilogy and do best with what you gained from it

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
0GfkxnL.gif

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
It feels like Rebirth as a game (it's open world, battle system, mechanics, etc.) could've been a breakout hit for Square Enix with big sales numbers if it was wrapped in an original story, as a Final Fantasy 17, rather than being tied to the middle third of a quasi-remake/quasi-sequel of a 27-year-old game.
And that's the lesson I hope they take from this. Take this formula and make a FFXVII out of it. Or hell make it a side story like Versus XIII was going to be but give it a subtitle that doesn't have a number. Or make it a new IP entirely so the title can live on its own and so the FF name doesn't confuse or scare away the new audience, but still be within the FF meta like the way Persona games are SMT games or those GamsBoy games that were FF spin offs.

This formula with a new story, World and characters that are self-contained has to be a hit surely? It's an incredible formula. Critically acclaimed.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

..... Or they can avoid paying a third party a butt load of money only to throw away the assets and then have all the voice lines re-recorded in English by different actors.

Like what happened with Remake.

Like what didn't happen with Rebirth which is why it most likely cost a lot less to make and mage it profitable with only a few million sales.