Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
The minigame stuff is super subjective, IMO the abundance of that stuff adds great flavour to the game.

Could have integrated the card game a bit better into overall progression systems though
Yeah, I adored the set of mini games throughout Rebirth. Even the ones I don't like still add a lot of personality and flavor to the world. I'd much rather have them there than for them not to be there, y'know?

It's very much like the Yakuza series, all these games and the characters associated with them add so much to the setting.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Well buckle up for Persona 6, because I'm pretty sure Persona 5 / Royal sold over 7 million.

If the previous entry would be a sales guarantee for the next one then we wouldn't have this thread :P

Yeah, I adored the set of mini games throughout Rebirth. Even the ones I don't like still add a lot of personality and flavor to the world. I'd much rather have them there then for them not to be there, y'know?

It's very much like the Yakuza series, all these games and the characters associated with them add so much to the setting.

Same for me. I would never complain about a game having too much optional content. I love if there is tons of varied stuff to do. Then again, I am not someone who wants to finish a game asap so I can play the next one. I rather take my time with a game and really sink my teeth in.

MoogleMaestro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is comparing a floor with a ceiling. Fire Emblem and Xenoblade becoming more popular in the west in comparison with their own previous entries shows growth for those series. Yet in an absolute sense their sales are still far below what FF typically sells.

FF still outsells them, but is dropping in popularity such that it is falling out of the tier it needs to be to be considered a solid success.

A Persona game selling 5 million can be considered amazing for the series. A FF game selling 5 million can be considered a financial loss for the company.

That's the difference. So if we want to really talk about how the ceiling of JRPGs are not declining, we will need to find JRPGs that continue to sell at the level of success we have seen them hit previously. Where are the 8-10 million sellers? Are there any?

The ceiling might be dropping, sure.

But I think the pool of games that ever sold that many in the space were solely of the FF brand name. Most JRPGs never sold that much and had to keep a tighter budget. Perhaps FF should be doing the same, but that's beside the point.

Basically, it is absolutely unique to the Final Fantasy IP and it has to do with how badly they have tarnished the brand name with 20 years of middling fan reception while constantly throwing the baby out with the bath water on the design side. FF7 remake is collateral, it really has to do with the overall brand decline.

I think, on a personal note, that PC sales will make this a near non issue and that they will ultimately close the gap between remake and rebirth (though a sequel will never ever sell the same exact volume, regardless of quality) but I do think they need to reevaluate the brand. If that means tightening up the budgets, then they should go for it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
If the previous entry would be a sales guarantee for the next one then we wouldn't have this thread :P
True, but as others have pointed out, Persona is on the way up and Final Fantasy is on the way down. And that over 7 million doesn't include a single Game Pass player, either. We can assume that they've built up a sizable, hungry fanbase through that offering similar to how Like a Dragon paved a way for Infinite Wealth. And if it's a global release on all platforms on launch day ... forget about it. Persona 6 is gonna make 5's sales look small.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
True, but as others have pointed out, Persona is on the way up and Final Fantasy is on the way down. And that over 7 million doesn't include a single Game Pass player, either. We can assume that they've built up a sizable, hungry fanbase through that offering similar to how Like a Dragon paved a way for Infinite Wealth. And if it's a global release on all platforms on launch day ... forget about it. Persona 6 is gonna make 5's sales look small.

Certainly hope you are right. They at least don't have exclusivity holding them back.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Ah yes, the IP is propping up the score and if it was called anything else it would have reviewed less favorably. We definitely needed the FF equivalent of the Belda meme on this forum.

if they just called it something like idk "The Last Story" it would sell incredibly well!

It's a little sad, but Final Fantasy as a franchise needs to become more derivative and iterative in order to continue to grow.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I think the issue is comparing a floor with a ceiling. Fire Emblem and Xenoblade becoming more popular in the west in comparison with their own previous entries shows growth for those series. Yet in an absolute sense their sales are still far below what FF typically sells.

FF still outsells them, but is dropping in popularity such that it is falling out of the tier it needs to be to be considered a solid success.

A Persona game selling 5 million can be considered amazing for the series. A FF game selling 5 million can be considered a financial loss for the company.

That's the difference. So if we want to really talk about how the ceiling of JRPGs are not declining, we will need to find JRPGs that continue to sell at the level of success we have seen them hit previously. Where are the 8-10 million sellers? Are there any?
Was there ever a JRPG series besides Pokemon or FF that was doing 8-10 million in sells? The problem is that FF was basically the king of the genre for so long, so when it's in a rough spot, it feels like JRPGs in general are in a rough spot.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
The thing is, exclusivity was a problem even for the people who bought FFVII Remake.
5 million (at least) of these sales were on PS4. Close to 1 million on PC. Over a million on PS5.
Making it PS5 exclusive meant the only people who could play it are these who had a PS5. Not everyone who had the game on PS4 bought a PS5. Nor those who bought it on PC.
PS4 version FF7 REMAKE already became free game of PLUS. And PS5 version is in library of PLUS EXTRA.

So there are tens of million players, 6 million sold + free game + EXTRA. have played the game.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
When even Sony is porting their first party 200 million dollar budgeted and above games to PC I don't know how anyone can have a belief that PS5-only sales are sustainable for ANY company.
Salary in Japan is lower than US and YEN exchange rate is very low. I doubt REBIRTH cost is high. Maybe in the range of $50~100 million.

That means 2~3 million sales makes profit.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Was there ever a JRPG series besides Pokemon or FF that was doing 8-10 million in sells? The problem is that FF was basically the king of the genre for so long, so when it's in a rough spot, it feels like JRPGs in general are in a rough spot.
Pokemon is such a unique phenomenom with such a strong idea "the whole catching/collection aspect" that the continuing appeal across generations sells itself. There really isn't a form of media in the world that has such an ability to sell itself as Pokemon.

FF was among the kings of JRPGs throughout the 90s and then of course FF7 took it worldwide that continued across a bunch of games, but it's also just a lot harder to pin down the FF brand identity.

With Pokemon, it's so much easier: collect teams of Pokemon that fight in turn based battles. Start there and you've sold 10-20 million copies. (See Palworld).

The brand identity of FF is what? An epic journey of a group fighting against some kind of evil in a fantasy world that used to be turn based but is now more ARPG. Just not as easy to sell, each game has to really sell itself as part of the brand. Partially why I think stabilizing the battle system for a number of games (with minor changes to give each game a unique flair) makes sense.

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten this drum so much that I've gotten tired of it, but multiplatform alone is not gonna be the miracle that FF needs.

It's just the first step. They also need to release mainline FF on a much better and predictable schedule and try to give the series a gameplay identity/through-line.

"FF is what its director wants to be" or whatever the exact quote was, is a nice sentiment, but it's also in direct conflict with how you build a franchise and grow it.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It is important to note that the 7 million is P5 and P5R combined.

didn't Remake sell 7 million copies alone?

anywho, with The talks of restructuring, I wonder if they are going to start following a better release structure for FF games and KH. They can't wait 7 -8 years between entries anymore and KH has been a mess getting released . I would venture that the 4 year gap between Remake and Rebirth didn't help either.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably their next AAA game being multiplatform and STILL having tepid sales. FF as a brand has a lot of baggage attached to it and has burned up a lot of good faith. XV and XVI having mixed reception, 7 Remake being used as a vehicle for a drawn out rebuild, I mean they'd need something BG3 quality to turn the ship around at this point.

Or bring back Genesis for part 3.
In what world is an 88 Opencritic score "mixed"?? I didn't like XVI as much as I thought I would, but it's definitely not mixed lol. Of the people who played it, always seemed like it was praised by most.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

anywho, with The talks of restructuring, I wonder if they are going to start following a better release structure for FF games and KH. They can't wait 7 -8 years between entries anymore and KH has been a mess getting released . I would venture that the 4 year gap between Remake and Rebirth didn't help either.
You're just straight up not going to get shorter than four years unless these games are being worked on concurrently with entirely separate staff.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Only people who should worry about growth are executives and shareholders. What matters is their studios are creating solid entries in the FF canon.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018

KH was already an annualized release series for almost around a decade and a half until Melody of Memory which was around 3 1/2 years ago.

Only waiting this long because they're all hands on deck for the next mainline game and there's a mobile game on the way probably by the end of this year. Disney's oversight nowadays pretty much guarantees this series will never be annualized again though because of how much more stringent that process is becoming since the older titles.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I remember a time when a remake of FFVII seemed like it'd be the biggest release of all time
I mean, remake sold a ton and it has what most normal people think of when they think of FF7- cloud/barret/tifa/aerith, midgar, and a final fight against sephiroth with one winged angel blaring in the background

how many older guys with nostalgia went "alright, that was neat"?

Cause i know my older brother said the same thing and he didn't know rebirth existed until I told him about it and he grew up playing FF7

Square honestly thinks FF7 is more iconic than it is. It's game that released the month I was born and I'm 27. a good chunk of gamers have no idea what it is.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe FF shouldn't mean cutting edge graphics anymore given that the most successful FF(14) aint a looker as well and won't be even after the graphics update.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I've beaten this drum so much that I've gotten tired of it, but multiplatform alone is not gonna be the miracle that FF needs.

It's just the first step. They also need to release mainline FF on a much better and predictable schedule and try to give the series a gameplay identity/through-line.

"FF is what its director wants to be" or whatever the exact quote was, is a nice sentiment, but it's also in direct conflict with how you build a franchise and grow it.
I 100% agree. I started with 5 in 1992 and things have changed way too drastically for the IP to be healthy nowadays. Back then, mainline releases were frequent. And though tone, setting etc could differ vastly from one entry to an other, they still had some things in common like being a rpg with worldmap, towns, party members etc and pushing the envelope. Things started to shift more during the ps2 era, but you could still feel you were playing a FF rpg. And then, entries release schedule became way too sparse (even considering development cycles being longer) and on the top of that the IP lost all sense of identity gameplay wise from one entry to another. It is incredibly not healthy

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many people who want a consistent direction would be happy if that direction was FF16.

Not a gotcha question, but the cat's already out of the bag. May be tricky to narrow focus again.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Maybe FF shouldn't mean cutting edge graphics anymore given that the most successful FF(14) aint a looker as well and won't be even after the graphics update.
Honestly, Final Fantasy could scale back the graphics drastically and your average fan wouldn't care one bit. People just want fun fantasy adventures filled with mainstay elements that span the entire series. Just because you've got a reputation for pushing the graphics as far as you can doesn't mean that's what brings people in the door.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That might have more to do with the nature of the sequel.
If Persona 6 was a direct narrative sequel to 5, it would fare worse.
As it is what's harming FF7Rb's performance is the perception that you can't play it before FF7Rm.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Final Fantasy could scale back the graphics drastically and your average fan wouldn't care one bit. People just want fun fantasy adventures filled with mainstay elements that span the entire series. Just because you've got a reputation for pushing the graphics as far as you can doesn't mean that's what brings people in the door.
Yup, could be said for the whole industry, tbh. Feels like there's a reckoning concerning this just waiting to happen, FF being one of the best examples.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
That might have more to do with the nature of the sequel.
If Persona 6 was a direct narrative sequel to 5, it would fare worse.
As it is what's harming FF7Rb's performance is the perception that you can't play it before FF7Rm.

Sure but XV sold more than VII Remake, Remake sold more than XVI and XVI sold more than Rebirth as well.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Salary in Japan is lower than US and YEN exchange rate is very low. I doubt REBIRTH cost is high. Maybe in the range of $50~100 million.

That means 2~3 million sales makes profit.
So explain how in the 2024 financials, with both FFXVI (> 3 million sales) and FFVII Rebirth (> 2 million sales) released within the year's window, their HD game releases made a loss of over 50 million dollars? That's double the amount of loss in 2023 when they did not even have these big titles.

Edit: For reference, here is the comparison of their revenue and losses for HD games:
  • HD Games:
  • April 2022 - March 2023:
  • Net Revenue: ¥78.5 billion ($503 million)
  • Net Profit (Loss): -¥4.1 billion (-$26 million)
  • April 2023 - March 2024:
  • Net Revenue: ¥99.2 billion ($635 million)
  • Net Profit (Loss): -¥8.1 billion (-$52 million)

So they made 20 billion yen more in total sales, but still made an additional loss of 4 billion yen. That really goes to show how much more cost FFXVI and Rebirth could have added, and they just weren't able to make the money back.

Last edited:

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Yup, could be said for the whole industry, tbh. Feels like there's a reckoning concerning this just waiting to happen, FF being one of the best examples.
Thing is tho… not only with FF7 but a lot of the industry games

Only way is up?

Altho I do find it wild how big they go with Rebirth in terms of cutscene graphics and stuff. It feels expensive

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Sure but XV sold more than VII Remake, Remake sold more than XVI and XVI sold more than Rebirth as well.
I mean XV was a brand new game while VII Rm was not.
I would compare XV and XVI and VIIRm and VIIRb otherwise it muddle things.
Still your general point is correct though, XV sold more than XVI and VIIRemake sold more than Rebirth so indeed expected performance of sequel may not correlate to previous installment.

I'd say it's easier for P5->P6 because P6 will most likely not be a big shake up like how FF is usually roll your dice and maybe you'll like the results lately.
In that regard I'd look at something like Dark Soul 3 that sold more than 1 but then again we don't know if P6 will succeed so really it's a wash.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Only people who should worry about growth are executives and shareholders. What matters is their studios are creating solid entries in the FF canon.

Yep. If the series can get consistently solid enough sales to justify more games, then doing so and keeping the series identity of being so flexible is more than worth it.

I wonder how many people who want a consistent direction would be happy if that direction was FF16.

Not a gotcha question, but the cat's already out of the bag. May be tricky to narrow focus again.

The real gotcha question would be that the series adapts FFXIV combat to singleplayer games.

I'm a fan of FFXII and Xenoblade, so I wouldn't be against more singleplayer MMO style FF games tbh.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is tho… not only with FF7 but a lot of the industry games

Only way is up?

Altho I do find it wild how big they go with Rebirth in terms of cutscene graphics and stuff. It feels expensive
Oh I fully think Part 3 needs to finish what they started.

But XVII and beyond? I'm clearing my expectations. It's clear the series needs a massive shift. And if focusing on Switch 2 as the primary platform is what's needed, then im fine with that too. And hey, if it's developed with NS2 as the primary platform, there would probably be a great 60FPS mode or whatever on the more powerful consoles for people who care about that stuff

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

My dude, do you realize where you are posting? Its pretty cynical to come into a sales related thread and say this.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Those games are wildly different from each other though. I'm not expecting P6 to shake up things that much. Sure anything could go wrong with sells, but Persona as been on an upward trend since P3 and there really isn't anything that suggests that things won't be similar for P6.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019

If it can expand on the team aspect of it all instead of the one man show that is Clive

I think 16 was a good 8/10 game for me all things considered, not bad by any means, not great by any means. If that is what sells let them try it

Oh I fully think Part 3 needs to finish what they started.

But XVII and beyond? I'm clearing my expectations. It's clear the series needs a massive shift. And if focusing on Switch 2 as the primary platform is what's needed, then im fine with that too. And hey, if it's developed with NS2 as the primary platform, there would probably be a great 60FPS mode or whatever on the more powerful consoles for people who care about that stuff
True, but I didn't mean only part 3! Altho it's a special thing right with the Remakes. But lets see its also below FF16 graphics wise?

I don't think I would hate it. But like I say normal speaking the industry goes up in graphics

Oct 25, 2017
Those games are wildly different from each other though. I'm not expecting P6 to shake up things that much. Sure anything could go wrong with sells, but Persona as been on an upward trend since P3 and there really isn't anything that suggests that things won't be similar for P6.

Only super fans would call those FF entries wildly different.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You're not wrong on that. We've been chasing the bleeding edge of graphics and performance since forever and we're seeing the end result of that chase with all of these layoffs and all of these companies selling millions of copies of their games still taking a financial beating. It takes an eternity to make games these days and those costs balloon with how much bigger they want to make them and it's like cool you sold 2 million copies, but you're still in the red.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Rebirth is already doing this. It is decidedly last-gen when it comes to graphics tech. It still has a lot of effort and budget poured into that, but they definitely sacrificed fidelity to prioritize other things. The biggest resources sink is cut scenes, and I do not see them holding back on those and it can be argued that high quality cut scenes are as much a defining feature of these games as moogles or chocobos.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
having played Rebirth for over 100 hours, I've become more convinced that reviewers were a bit too kind to the game, because they loved the improved battle system, which was already great in remake, and the updated story beats and characters being given more personality. There's a lot of things that hurt Rebirth, however, including the pacing and minigame overload that would have contributed more to a lower score if it was not a FF game or a remake of a classic. Some of the story and location changes were also not that great TBH It's still a 9/10 game but not this masterpiece people were gushing over.

I think it's important to remember that reviewers have their own biases. Just as Final Fantasy has a disproportionate mindshare here on Era, that could also be true amongst critics. We all love a game (or anything) so much that we are willing to overlook its flaws.

Accolades are overrated. When we are talking about breaking out of the 3-5 million space into the 10+ million space, it's not about accolades or marketing. It's about getting traction with actual players driving buzz about a game and making it a must have. Things like GTA and Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3 and Helldivers 2 aren't really marketed into successes, they actually resonate with a wide audience that keeps talking about it until it hits critical mass.

FF's problem is that it doesn't have that traction and they are largely one and done story games that look like movie games of previous generations. Stuff that is out of sync of what the majority of gamers are excited about today. FF to most people is boring.

Yeah, Metacritic scores are mostly important insomuch as they aren't bad. Gamers appear more repulsed by low scores than enticed by high scores. Many of the most critically lauded games aren't big hits.

Anyone with this perspective is just gonna get hit with "but they said it had to be 3 games" to death, but I agree.

To me it's very telling that SE has said they're going to reign in their producers after a fiscal year in which two expensive AAA titles released to underwhelming sales. I don't think SE would greenlight the FF7R trilogy in today's environment, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.