Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Use the traps in Sen's to do some of the dirty work for you - the dart traps, the swinging blades, the ball - they can all kill the enemies for you.

Whatever weapon you jive with is the best, as long as you keep it upgraded as far as you can (+10 by Sen's). You should've picked a fair few weapons by now, they're all good really - test out the movesets and see which you like.
Some solid choices for a first playthrough: Longsword, Halberd, (Reinforced) Club, Claymore, Rapier, Estoc, Spear, Partizan, Battle Axe. The Hand Axe that the Pyromancer starts with is also surprisingly good and fast. I'm loathed to add the Zweihander to the list but no doubt people love that thing!

I completed everything except the DLC dragon and (so far) the end boss of the game with Lightning Spear +3 and pyromancy.

The lightning spear is a dead end because it doesn't scale, but I like the weight, the move set, and the range. I've yet to find anything else that seems to work for my broken spec.

Vitality - 35
Attunement - 16
Endurance - 33
Strength - 25
Dexterity - 12
Resistance - 12
Intelligence - 15
Faith - 25

I goofed early and need STR and DEX to be switched.

I don't have the endurance to handle a heavier weapon. I don't have the dexterity to scale with a better light weapon. So I can't figure out what the hell to upgrade before I start NG+. Ugh.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You have a STR/FTH build it seems. I'm not really into big/slow weapons myself but the Club and Reinforced Club are both good high-scaling STR weapons that aren't slow, but there are loads more STR weapons and a few other non-STR options that come to mind:

- Upgrade the Lightning Spear all the way +5
- Make use of all those stats with a +15 weapon and buff it with Sunlight Blade, which needs 5 more points in FTH (30)
- Or make a Divine +10 weapon which would have similar split damage to the Lightning Spear (but with FTH-scaling magic damage instead of no-scaling Lightning) and it would scale with your STR/DEX/FTH.

You could stick with spears - the regular spear or the Partizan say (similar R1 pokes, but the R2s are horizontal slashes, very versatile). Another one is the Dragon Slayer Spear from Ornstein's soul (if you killed him second) would be an option too since it also scales with STR/DEX/FTH, it requires a bit more investment in DEX though. Or maybe try pole arms like the Halberd or Lucerne for a similar feel to a spear, they have good reach.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You have a STR/FTH build it seems. I'm not really into big/slow weapons myself but the Club and Reinforced Club are both good high-scaling STR weapons that aren't slow, but there are loads more STR weapons and a few other non-STR options that come to mind:

- Upgrade the Lightning Spear all the way +5
- Make use of all those stats with a +15 weapon and buff it with Sunlight Blade, which needs 5 more points in FTH (30)
- Or make a Divine +10 weapon which would have similar split damage to the Lightning Spear (but with FTH-scaling magic damage instead of no-scaling Lightning) and it would scale with your STR/DEX/FTH.

You could stick with spears - the regular spear or the Partizan say (similar R1 pokes, but the R2s are horizontal slashes, very versatile). Another one is the Dragon Slayer Spear from Ornstein's soul (if you killed him second) would be an option too since it also scales with STR/DEX/FTH, it requires a bit more investment in DEX though. Or maybe try pole arms like the Halberd or Lucerne for a similar feel to a spear, they have good reach.

I had just come off a pure STR build in Demon's Souls and wanted to tinker with Pyro so I started there. As I was rebuilding my STR build I realized this was bad.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You can always ignore STR from now on, up DEX to meet it and go for a quality build (STR/DEX) then spears and polearms would be perfect, mixed with that 30 FTH for Sunlight Blade, a decent NG+ build there.

Or pure Pyro with melee only for back-up - fully upgrade the Lightning Spear or make a Chaos one for the Pyro-fire theme. Fully ascended Pyro Flame + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Crown of Dusk + Power Within is very OP.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You can always ignore STR from now on, up DEX to meet it and go for a quality build (STR/DEX) then spears and polearms would be perfect, mixed with that 30 FTH for Sunlight Blade, a decent NG+ build there.

Or pure Pyro with melee only for back-up - fully upgrade the Lightning Spear or make a Chaos one for the Pyro-fire theme. Fully ascended Pyro Flame + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Crown of Dusk + Power Within is very OP.

Thanks. I started to reply but lost it due to a browser issue. I appreciate your ideas because it brought some new considerations.

I plan to upgrade my Great Axe to Chaos I think, but may switch that to straight damage so I use enchants. I'll lose the range but it us a useful weapon. I also have the Ornstein soul so I'll do his weapon for sure. I'm going to need a new bow, so I'll upgrade to the Darkmoon.. which will require additional DEX anyways.

For now the lightning spear will go to 4 so I preserve the slab.

Sunlight blade sounds interesting so there's a good Faith path. I'm going to need another attunement slot, lol. I have Pyro completely maxed out now for some time. My issue of course is that I need a weapon for trash mobs, because I simply don't have enough spells available at this time.

From there I'll decide whether to ignore STR.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Today I decided to platinum all the Souls games this year on my PS5 🙄 That means I have to platinum DS:Remastered and DSII. Played both these games on my One X but yet here I am.

So, please recommend me a fun and powerful build to platinum DS Remastered :) I think I finished it as a caster on my Xbox, not sure though. It does not have to be crazy op like these one hit sorcerer builds, just want to have some fun. And I'm open for everything :)

Thanks!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
DS1 is pretty quick and easy to platinum compared to the others in the series.

If you've already done sorcery builds, maybe give pyromancy a go, since it doesn't need stat investment you can pair it with anything STR, DEX, Quality build etc - whatever weapon type takes you fancy.

You could also do a Faith-hybrid build to have a play with Miracles. You need to join the Warriors of Sunlight covenant for the miracle rewards for the trophy any way, and it takes 25 FTH to join the covenant - If you're playing online you can lower that by doing co-op, but i f you're playing solo or offline you'll need to have that 25 FTH any way to join, so it makes sense to put that stat investment to use. The good offensive spells like Wrath of the Gods needs 28 FTH and Sunlight Blade/Darkmoon Blade/Great Lightning Spear all 30 FTH, so only a few more levels to use those. FTH/STR or FTH/DEX are always fun options.

You could do STR or DEX + Pyro in NG, then focus on leveling FTH towards the second half of the game and have a FTH-hybrid build for NG+ to keep things a bit fresh.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
DS1 is pretty quick and easy to platinum compared to the others in the series.

Yeah, the only real roadblock to the Platinum is getting the Souvernirs of Reprisal to get the Darkmoon Blade miracle. At least, it was a grind for me, since I suck at PvP and I was never really able to kill enough players as a Blade of the Darkmoon, so I had to grind crows in the Painted World for like 2 hours. And this was in 2018 shortly after release when the population was high, so I don't know how hard it'd be to do it via PvP these days. I assume it's all GiantDads everywhere.

I guess that for someone who doesn't do coop farming for Sunlight Medals could also be a hassle, but I love coop so that wasn't a problem.

Dark Souls II and III in comparison...ugh.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never had much problem getting the Souvenirs offline - I get the 4 crows to fly over to the first building near the bonfire, jump down, rinse and repeat. I'd wager it takes about 30 minutes I'd say. Sunlight Medals, the farming route takes a little longer perhaps, I use the bonfire under Quelaag and take the lift down, but I think you can get enough without farming - there's 3(?) in a chest in Anor Londo (x 3 since you're going to Anor Londo in NG+2 any way), add the one Lautrec gives you after freeing him = 10. Same for Eyes of Death, there's a stack in the Catacombs and TOTG for free, so easy to get the 10 needed there too.

Now DS3 covenant item farming offline, never, ever again!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
DS3 item farming for the platinum. Oh my god. Still don't know why I did this. I think I farmed the silver knights and bird guys for weeks

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first play over the weekend.

Just killed Four Kings on NG+ last night. It sucked but didn't take too many tries.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Started my playthrough and get a lucky Black Knight Great Sword from the second black knight lol.
that's a start. Never used it, maybe I'lltry it once I meet the STR requirements

edit: add a Balder Side Sword 10 minutes later. I farmed forever for it without luck in my Xbox. Now I have it on a strength build lol

Last edited:

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I don't know if anyone will see this. I'm wondering if it is a known bug that a ring you pick up can vanish. I picked up the ring of fog after fighting the bodyguard in Darkroot Basin. The ring is no longer in my inventory though and I can't figure out why. Searching online didn't turn up anything. Anyone know?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone will see this. I'm wondering if it is a known bug that a ring you pick up can vanish. I picked up the ring of fog after fighting the bodyguard in Darkroot Basin. The ring is no longer in my inventory though and I can't figure out why. Searching online didn't turn up anything. Anyone know?

That's obtained from killed 3 invaders isn't it? Did you happen to die at the moment of obtaining it or something? Although it's a convenantt gift, from the cat isn't it?

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Check the chest behind Frampt in Firelink Shrine, might be in there. You can also get one by trading a skull lantern with the crow back in the asylum I believe.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Rings or any items definately don't ever disappear from your inventory without you actively dropping them. Pretty sure only key items will ever appear in the chest at Firelink Shrine a la the Covenant of Artorias or Charred Orange Ring, but it's worth a try.

You can get another Ring of Fog by trading a Skull Lantern with Snuggly - you can get that either by killing the Necromancers in the Catacombs (random drop, or guaranteed from the final one) or you can find one for free in Tonb of the Giants.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
Oh man, I am kicking myself. I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to access the DLC if I beat the game. And I didn't pick the Master Key when I started my first playthrough. I did buy it eventually but its no longer in my inventory. So now I can either start a new character or I can go through Blighttown again and try the DLC on NG+ difficulty. Does anyone know if its a huge jump in difficulty in NG+?

Edit: The first part of Blighttown was my least favourite part aside from the Bed of Chaos.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You keep the Master Key through NG+ afaik. Even without the master key all you have to do is kill Taurus Demon or Ingward to get to Valley of Drakes.

The DLC bosses are the toughest in the game, so they're even tougher in NG+ but you have the benefit of your stats carrying over. I'd probably start a new character myself, you can at least try a different build then to keep it fresh. The first part of the game, up to O&S at least is very easy on NG+, you're one shotting everything very early on. Whether you do NG+ or a fresh playthrough either will go a lot quicker than your first because you know the game, area layouts, bosses etc already.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, I am kicking myself. I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to access the DLC if I beat the game. And I didn't pick the Master Key when I started my first playthrough. I did buy it eventually but its no longer in my inventory. So now I can either start a new character or I can go through Blighttown again and try the DLC on NG+ difficulty. Does anyone know if its a huge jump in difficulty in NG+?

Edit: The first part of Blighttown was my least favourite part aside from the Bed of Chaos.
Yeah, the DLC is trickier in NG+, and I assume especially so if you're doing it for the first time. It's not as big as the jump in difficulty between NG and NG+ Four Kings, who are just a miserable experience, but it's definitely harder. You need to have the Lordvessel/clear Anor Londo before you can access it, so it's up to you which way you tackle it. I'd personally do it on a new character: it won't take long to get to it, and you can just feel free to consume or feed boss souls to Frampt for easy levels.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The specter of Manus in NG+ is what has kept me from even considering it. No thanks!

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I rerolled a Claric and am making a Dex/Faith build. Goal is getting to the DLC content. I have the Lordvessal and haven't gone to the Depths yet so I'll go there -> Painted World -> Tomb of Giants to save the lady with the faith spells. I'm around lvl 45 using an Estoc and the Giant Scythe. I haven't got the Swag Sword yet. Any tips about upgrading weapons for Dex/Faith? Should I just stick to the normal path? Darkmoon Blade seems popular but I'm not sure that I'm going to take the time to get it before going to the DLC.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I generally prefer to buff a weapon so I would go with a regular +15 weapon, but it doesn't hurt to have an alternative divine or occult weapon too - maybe for just generally going through areas and saving your weapon buff for the bosses.

You can always just get Sunlight Blade (in a chest after killing Gwyndolin) instead of leveling up the covenant for Darkmoon Blade - same thing really unless you're investing heavily in pvp to rank up Darkmoon Blade.

Have you got Emit Force from Siegmeyer, and also you can level up Nito's covenant to get both Gravelord Dance AoE spells, you can find a bunch of Eyes of Death in the Catacombs and some more in TOTG, so there isn't much farming to do.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I rerolled a Claric and am making a Dex/Faith build. Goal is getting to the DLC content. I have the Lordvessal and haven't gone to the Depths yet so I'll go there -> Painted World -> Tomb of Giants to save the lady with the faith spells. I'm around lvl 45 using an Estoc and the Giant Scythe. I haven't got the Swag Sword yet. Any tips about upgrading weapons for Dex/Faith? Should I just stick to the normal path? Darkmoon Blade seems popular but I'm not sure that I'm going to take the time to get it before going to the DLC.
I'd at least farm for the swag sword at the Parish and replace the estoc. With the gold serpent ring and the fact they're right next to Andre's bonfire you should get one in no time. I'd just do a standard swag sword +15, and buff it with Sunlight Blade, or with Darkmoon Blade, which again is a bit of a farm, but the crow ladies drop the covenant item in Painted World. That being said, to max the covenant is a stupid grind, so it'd probably be easier to just grab Sunlight Blade instead, because a dex/faith sunlight blade buffed swag sword will easily let you cruise through the game.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I'd at least farm for the swag sword at the Parish and replace the estoc. With the gold serpent ring and the fact they're right next to Andre's bonfire you should get one in no time.
I've grinded so long with 5, 6, 7, and 8 humanity and the gold serpent ring. Hours. I can't get a swag sword. I think I might give up and try to make the weapon with Pricilla's soul.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Balder Knights in the Parish - it's only worth farming the ones that actually have the BSS - the others have a Rapier (yay!) and don't drop the BSS. I've always found it quicker at that point to farm the 2 in Sen's Fortressm down near the fire ring for the BSS just because there's less distration.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Great Scythe is fantastic and worth investing in, also the DLC bosses are highly resistant to buffs, best to rely on Dex scaling for damage. You can get your faith to 30 and Dex to over 30 and do well, but I would focus on having Dexterity scaling first for the DLC

Oct 26, 2017
I started a new character to prepare for some co-op with a friend later. I wanted to have something original, so I went through the trouble to obtain the claw early. First I was just going to climb the Darkroot Basin ladder to get to the Forest Hunters, but the hydra didn't like me doing that. So, I realized that I needed to farm some souls, so I tried to parry that halberd black knight to death, but I'm way too bad for that (at least with an base scimitar that does no damage), so I just kept dying. So instead I went to Undead Parish and realized that I needed the soapstone to be able to co-op. No problem, I'll just dash past everything and climb up to Solaire. Yeah, not going to happen, I just kept getting ganked by the rats. I really don't like the scimitar, it's so wonky and with no kick attack it's hard to break guards. Eventually I gave up and ran Undead Burg the normal way, got the soapstone and then farmed Parish while waiting.

One thing that really annoys me, and that I appreciate so much with Dark Souls 2, is how PVP is still utterly borked. Despite the issues that soul memory caused, I'd take that a million times over the gank city that is early Dark Souls. This guy kept invading the people I was assisting and oneshotting everyone with Firestorm or DLC dark sorcery, at soul level 5-15 or so.

So after one successful gargoyle kill and a bunch of balder knights, I could get the seal, go join the Forest Hunters, then take a short trip down to Blighttown to buy the claw and homeward bone my way back up again. Only to realize that yeah, since I'm doing a spellsword character I need a bunch of green titanite, so back down I went to farm slugs. And somewhere along the line I went to Lower Undead Burg to free Griggs and get the thief outfit.

Finally back up, and I'm farming for a few more souls in Undead Parish, and suddenly I'm invaded. Since I'm assuming the worst, I quickly grab two summons right next to me. Only, when the invader appears it's someone doing a dragon torso thing, and I cut him down with my +5 Magic Claw before he can transform.

I'm a bit annoyed that I actually can't use Magic Weapon on a weapon already infused, but I guess having it permanently beats having to reapply it every 60 seconds. I'll explore the "spook" sorceries this time around and see how useful they are. Aural Decoy and Hidden Body should be a fun combination.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think there's probably simpler ways to get to what you were wanting to do - Picking up all the lootable consumable souls on the way to and around lower Blighttown should get you close to the 20k needed for the Crest of Artorias If you avoid triggering the red dragon in Undead Burg it won't ever appear on the bridge giving free access to the Sunlight Altar at one end of the bridge and Solaire at the other. Using any of the jumps down to Lower Undead Burg or just using the Master Key to get to the Parish from the back will do it too, either by way of Havel's tower or New Londo/Valley of Drakes.

I hear you about the lame early game twinks that (still?!) invade the Parish, but I don't think they ever found a satisfactory soltuion to that that didn't break something else. For all its faults I still prefer the simplicity of DeS/vanilla DS1 matchmaking compared to how they handled things in everything that came after.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone playing this on Switch? Is there any kind of online community or is it more of a ghost town?

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mostly play portable with no internet access and in offline mode. I do have an online sub.

Aww. See I like the online elements - seeing ghosts, bloodstains, messages, helping people and being invaded.

I was curious if that's still a thing here as it's the only DS on Switch at the moment and playing it portable could be fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Aww. See I like the online elements - seeing ghosts, bloodstains, messages, helping people and being invaded.

I was curious if that's still a thing here as it's the only DS on Switch at the moment and playing it portable could be fun.

I mean I don't mind going online but I 100% both PtDE and the remastered on PC. Switch was just to have it to play portably and not through parsec.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
How is the online population for PS4? I want to go back and play DS1 but need jolly co op because I'm not gud enough. How would the online population compare to Dark Souls 3 (on PS4 as well)?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How is the online population for PS4? I want to go back and play DS1 but need jolly co op because I'm not gud enough. How would the online population compare to Dark Souls 3 (on PS4 as well)?
I met invaders and signs on a regular basis some weeks ago. I don't play coop though, so can't say for sure.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the prepare to die edition on PS3 as a collectable, and put it in my PS3 just to have it updated, and on a whim couldn't help myself and started making a character. Then I made my girlfriend play because she never has before.

There's people playing. I'm getting bell rings, estus recharges, ghosts galore, new messages, even a message rating. Hinted to her to try kindling her bonfire, and when she became human to do so, and then went outside (pre-taurus bonfire) there was a sign on the ground. She then farmed a couple levels and then not a few minutes later got invaded by a twink lol.

So yeah, if that's how it is on PS3 (seems insane to me so many people are playing but hey! that's awesome), then yeah I'm not surprised if the population is decent on PS4. In fact of all iterations and platforms of this game, PS4 would probably be the one to go to.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but this seemed like the most recent thread on Dark Souls.

For the first time ever, I'm close to beating the game. I've beaten the four lords, and I presume once I drop their souls it's straight to the final boss.

But I haven't tried the DLC areas or the painted world yet, so I was wondering if beating the boss will overwrite my save, and thus I should tackle those DLC areas first. Or if I can safely go back and play them after seeing the ending.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but this seemed like the most recent thread on Dark Souls.

For the first time ever, I'm close to beating the game. I've beaten the four lords, and I presume once I drop their souls it's straight to the final boss.

But I haven't tried the DLC areas or the painted world yet, so I was wondering if beating the boss will overwrite my save, and thus I should tackle those DLC areas first. Or if I can safely go back and play them after seeing the ending.
When you defeat the final boss the games going to New Game+. So if you want to do the DLC areas and stuff you should do it before tackling the final boss

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you defeat the final boss the games going to New Game+. So if you want to do the DLC areas and stuff you should do it before tackling the final boss

Thanks, I'll do that.

Painted World and Artorious DLC are the only optional areas, right? Is there a recommended order to tackle them?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Great Hollow/Ash Lake are also optional if you haven't been there. Painted World is on par with Anor Londo, the DLC is end game difficulty (and best bosses!), so Painted World first.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Painted World done, Artorias DLC done, base game completed. I feel accomplished.

Although I did mess up horribly in two instances. First in Artorias:

I killed Dusk by mistake after freeing her. The message said "try kicking", but I took a swing instead.

The other was at the very end of the game:

seems I was supposed to light the final bonfire for the firelink ending, but I didn't even see it anywhere. I stepped outside and it gave me the Dark ending instead

Booted right into NG+. I'm tempted to run through it again, but I've also got Dark Souls 3 to go through, so we'll see.

Since the boss souls carried over to NG+, does that mean I'll get an extra boss soul when I beat each respective boss again?

Blu10

Oct 27, 2017
So I picked this up after, if memory serves, giving up in the poison swamp after never being able to find the bonfire when the game originally came out.

with that said I'm now in Anor Londo and I swear I have been here before. Going up the tall stairs with the two big knights, I know the door behind the one on the right opens as a shortcut. I know that there will be knights shooting arrows in the up coming stretch.

It's been so long since I played it, is this part in another game (ds2/ds3). Or is my memory playing tricks on me.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
So I picked this up after, if memory serves, giving up in the poison swamp after never being able to find the bonfire when the game originally came out.

with that said I'm now in Anor Londo and I swear I have been here before. Going up the tall stairs with the two big knights, I know the door behind the one on the right opens as a shortcut. I know that there will be knights shooting arrows in the up coming stretch.

It's been so long since I played it, is this part in another game (ds2/ds3). Or is my memory playing tricks on me.
You are thinking of DS3, same set piece appears there.