• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I did it! It took over 50 minutes and I only had TWO Throwing Knives spare, but I did it!

Several many bad throws of firebombs left me shakey on if I had enough damage left, but you can 90% consistently get headshots with throwing/poison knives when he does the leaping fist slam, so that really upped the damage (from 13 to 20 whoop-di-doo!) and I tried to bait those out when I could which probably clinched it. Phew! Just Gwyn left.

edit - my whole Manus consumables only fight:

About 50-55 mins long, it was a breeze!!!

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I did it! It took over 50 minutes and I only had TWO Throwing Knives spare, but I did it!

Several many bad throws of firebombs left me shakey on if I had enough damage left, but you can 90% consistently get headshots with throwing/poison knives when he does the leaping fist slam, so that really upped the damage (from 13 to 20 whoop-di-doo!) and I tried to bait those out when I could which probably clinched it. Phew! Just Gwyn left.

Awesome! Congrats. I always tell myself I'll do a challenge run like that but then I just don't.

Did an SL1 run of DS2 but never anything crazy like having to calculate if it's even possible to kill Manus with throwables like you have. You absolute mad man.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Anyone just happen to have a character that hasn't beaten Taurus Demon or Gargoyles and want to summon my NG++ character? Would love not to have to pump Faith to 25 for the Covenant.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
^ I don't, but NG doesn't matter, summoning is based on Soul Level (SL), weapon upgrade level (although passwords over-ride those??) and (obv) platform - so let us know those :)

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm currently SL 35 and just finished Sif and Taurus Demon last night. I'm currently at the bonfire in the Depths and may try to venture towards Gaping Dragon. Is there anywhere else worth visiting that will help me grind a few more levels before I venture into Sen's Fortress? Cause I'm thinking I'll need a few more SLs as well as somewhere to farm green titanite to get my Halberd above +5 before I'm able to put up a real fight in that godforsaken playhouse.

I played this game a bunch about 6 years ago and my memory of areas and recommended SLs for those areas is foggy. Also, I'm playing on Xbox and have struggled being able to call phantoms or be summoned. Is Xbox just not as populated as other platforms? Or, are most players well above my current SL? My favorite parts of the game are the cooperation parts.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So I'm currently SL 35 and just finished Sif and Taurus Demon last night. I'm currently at the bonfire in the Depths and may try to venture towards Gaping Dragon. Is there anywhere else worth visiting that will help me grind a few more levels before I venture into Sen's Fortress? Cause I'm thinking I'll need a few more SLs as well as somewhere to farm green titanite to get my Halberd above +5 before I'm able to put up a real fight in that godforsaken playhouse.

I played this game a bunch about 6 years ago and my memory of areas and recommended SLs for those areas is foggy. Also, I'm playing on Xbox and have struggled being able to call phantoms or be summoned. Is Xbox just not as populated as other platforms? Or, are most players well above my current SL? My favorite parts of the game are the cooperation parts.

I feel SL35 is fine for Sen's Fortress. It's really not at all difficult if you know how to deal with the traps, and parry the Snake Men.

If I recall correctly, they changed the way Multiplayer matchmaking is done in the Remaster. So not only is your SL taken into account, but also the level of your equipment. In fact, AFAIK, it doesn't matter if you have it equipped or not, just having owned certain particular weapons can basically lock you out of MP (such as the Dark Knight weapons, even if you don't ever equip them).

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
in an effort to fend off my wanting to buy Demon's Souls at $70 I got this on the recent PSN sale. No idea what I am doing, but I am having fun!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The leeches in Blighttown drop 5 x green shards (can also be fed to Frampt for 5 regular shards each, handy), leeches also drop Large Shards.
Your Halberd is magic, divine or fire I take it? The enemies in Sen's are ripe for parries and backstabs too, so a good opportunity to put that Hornet Ring to good use - should one shot them. SL35 is right on target imo for Sen's.

Your level is also fine for the Catacombs if you haven't done it already. Just homeward bone out after the boss as the area it connects to is a late game area that can't be completed until later, kind of like how Blighttown goes straight in to Demon Ruins. But leave Catacombs too late and it becomes a joke.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Might want to head back to Undead Asylum for the rusted iron ring, and grab the spider shield from the Depths if you haven't already — unless you'll be skipping Blighttown with the master key. And the crest shield in Undead Asylum will serve you well against the Serpent Mages in Sen's. You can also farm the slimes right next to the bonfire you're at for large titanite shards if you need them. Though I think the worm thingies at the bottom of Blighttown will have a higher drop rate. You'll get a bunch of them at Sen's though. Maybe not worth the time.

If you just want to get levels quick, get Artorias's Crest from the blacksmith (20,000 souls) and farm the lads in the forest behind the door that it opens in Darkroot.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I feel SL35 is fine for Sen's Fortress. It's really not at all difficult if you know how to deal with the traps, and parry the Snake Men.

If I recall correctly, they changed the way Multiplayer matchmaking is done in the Remaster. So not only is your SL taken into account, but also the level of your equipment. In fact, AFAIK, it doesn't matter if you have it equipped or not, just having owned certain particular weapons can basically lock you out of MP (such as the Dark Knight weapons, even if you don't ever equip them).
Does the Drake Sword count? Not that I'm actively using it, but I do have it in my collection. The biggest problem I have with the Snake Men is their head attack, especially if I don't have much room to back away from it. And I'm sure those can't be parried, right? I've never thought to try.
The leeches in Blighttown drop 5 x green shards (can also be fed to Frampt for 5 regular shards each, handy), leeches also drop Large Shards.
Your Halberd is magic, divine or fire I take it? The enemies in Sen's are ripe for parries and backstabs too, so a good opportunity to put that Hornet Ring to good use - should one shot them. SL35 is right on target imo for Sen's.

Your level is also fine for the Catacombs if you haven't done it already. Just homeward bone out after the boss as the area it connects to is a late game area that can't be completed until later, kind of like how Blighttown goes straight in to Demon Ruins. But leave Catacombs too late and it becomes a joke.

The leeches? I'm not sure I've run into them. I already finished the Quelaag fight and made my way in and out of Blighttown via the elevator near New Londo Ruins; the one that gets you access to Valley of the Drakes. I spent forever sprinting past those big dudes with clubs and poo before taking that contraption down (and back up) to the bottom of Blighttown. I remember there being another entrance to it via the Depths. What area are the leeches in again?

Also my Halberd is a basic ass +5, no elemental damage. I also need to find a shield with better lightning and magic resistance...

Thank you for all the tips!

Might want to head back to Undead Asylum for the rusted iron ring, and grab the spider shield from the Depths if you haven't already — unless you'll be skipping Blighttown with the master key. And the crest shield in Undead Asylum will serve you well against the Serpent Mages in Sen's. You can also farm the slimes right next to the bonfire you're at for large titanite shards if you need them. Though I think the worm thingies at the bottom of Blighttown will have a higher drop rate. You'll get a bunch of them at Sen's though. Maybe not worth the time.

If you just want to get levels quick, get Artorias's Crest from the blacksmith (20,000 souls) and farm the lads in the forest behind the door that it opens in Darkroot.
All this is great information. Thanks!

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The leeches? I'm not sure I've run into them. I already finished the Quelaag fight and made my way in and out of Blighttown via the elevator near New Londo Ruins; the one that gets you access to Valley of the Drakes. I spent forever sprinting past those big dudes with clubs and poo before taking that contraption down (and back up) to the bottom of Blighttown. I remember there being another entrance to it via the Depths. What area are the leeches in again?

Also my Halberd is a basic ass +5, no elemental damage. I also need to find a shield with better lightning and magic resistance...

Thank you for all the tips!

All this is great information. Thanks!

The leeches are at the bottom of the swamp. You have to go a little bit out of your way to find them. The Rusted Iron Ring is recommended so you don't go insane while exploring.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

You don't need green shards then, you need Large Titanite Shards to take it to +10. The leeches also drop those, there are 2 free Large Shards as loot in Blighttown (and 1 in the Depths) and a bunch as loot Sen's so you don't need to farm, there are enough to get you to +10 by the end of Sen's.

The leeches are in the Swamp - looking out from the bonfire in the tunnel, right is the wooden lift and Quelaag, left is the rest of the swamp with loads of the leeches, a quick/easy farming route really.

The Depths is the way in to Blighttown, I didn't realise you'd gone in through the exit. It's certainly worth exploring upper Blighttown - lots of great loot, and the Depths is mandatory to get your weapon above +5.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Managed to beat Ornstein & Smough, that was tough! Gotta say playing the Demon's Souls remake opened me up to From's games.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to beat Ornstein & Smough, that was tough! Gotta say playing the Demon's Souls remake opened me up to From's games.

Congrats! That's a really fun one. Getting the Lordvessel in DS and being able to easily revisit and explore areas is a great moment.

Did you lose the firekeeper in Firelink? There is some fun stuff you can do with that in Anor Londo, among other shenanigans.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! That's a really fun one. Getting the Lordvessel in DS and being able to easily revisit and explore areas is a great moment.

Did you lose the firekeeper in Firelink? There is some fun stuff you can do with that in Anor Londo, among other shenanigans.
It was a struggle to keep the two of them separated, but being patient seemed to be the key for that fight. My hands were a sweaty mess. Being able to teleport is a great reward. I kept on getting curious if I missed things in earlier sections (I did), and getting kinda tired of going through Sen's fortress over and over, lol.

Is that the lady that boosts estus flasks? I think she might still be there, but after the golden fog gates were lifted I went to the only one I recognized and I'm trying to get through this crystal cave place now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It was a struggle to keep the two of them separated, but being patient seemed to be the key for that fight. My hands were a sweaty mess. Being able to teleport is a great reward. I kept on getting curious if I missed things in earlier sections (I did), and getting kinda tired of going through Sen's fortress over and over, lol.

Is that the lady that boosts estus flasks? I think she might still be there, but after the golden fog gates were lifted I went to the only one I recognized and I'm trying to get through this crystal cave place now.

Patience is indeed the key to that fight. I only ever punish a few specific attacks on those two and try to just stay away for the rest of the time.

And that's her, yeah. If she's missing, be sure to check the items she left, and you'll know where to go. Might not have happened though.

Good luck with the Archives. I tend to do that area a bit later. It's pretty tough!

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I am just curious, does the game get extremely easy after the Anor Londo Boys Boss fight? Or is it just me? Like I was stock there for way to long, but now I am beating two bosses a day and everything seems way to easy.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I am just curious, does the game get extremely easy after the Anor Londo Boys Boss fight? Or is it just me? Like I was stock there for way to long, but now I am beating two bosses a day and everything seems way to easy.
That's kind of normal. O&S is usually the hardest boss in the base game for most people. Have you started the DLC area yet, the bosses there should still pose a challenge.

Oct 25, 2017

Who did you take down first? I find that the fight was intended for players to deal with Ornstein first. I find it much harder trying to kill Slough first

Congrats btw. As a huge souls fan, this fight is kinda janky and From improved on their mutiple-boss design by a lot in the later games.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't bought it yet, but guess I will before doing the final boss. Is it just one DLC and is it worth?
Are you play Remastered because it includes the DLC. Only the original console versions on 360 and PS3 come without it, any other version it's included. Either way, definately worth it, some of the best bosses in the game (as is kind of usual for From Soft DLC).

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Are you play Remastered because it includes the DLC. Only the original console versions on 360 and PS3 come without it, any other version it's included. Either way, definately worth it, some of the best bosses in the game (as is kind of usual for From Soft DLC).
Oh shit really?? I didn't know that lol (I am playing Prepare to Die edition). Thanks for the info.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who did you take down first? I find that the fight was intended for players to deal with Ornstein first. I find it much harder trying to kill Slough first

Congrats btw. As a huge souls fan, this fight is kinda janky and From improved on their mutiple-boss design by a lot in the later games.
I got Ornstein down first. I think I tried a couple times to take Smough down first, but he's surprisingly fast and that charge attack is a pain. Once I was able to get the lance guy down consistently it didn't take too long to get the big guy down. I'm mostly finished with Dark Souls, but I have the last boss to finish up. I did decide to start Bloodborne and that grabbed me, will be hard to go back!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Why does armour make so much noise in the remaster... its fine if you're wearing light stuff but the elite knight armor is ridiculous, like a comstant loud clanking. Worse than in Breath of the wild...

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've put it off as long as possible but Sen's fortress has to be done, don't think I find any area in souls games so frustrating

Do you have to reach a certain point before you can go to the DLC area? I killed the golem thing behind the hydra and spoke to the woman but there was no portal. Not that I'll be going there until last anyway

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to reach a certain point before you can go to the DLC area? I killed the golem thing behind the hydra and spoke to the woman but there was no portal. Not that I'll be going there until last anyway

You need to have placed the Lordvessel at least, because you only get the broken pendant at Duke's (from the blue golem right after the first elevator), which makes the portal appear after the golden golem is killed.

Also, I think heavy armor was always pretty noisy. I played PTDE recently and I also took notice of how robotic you sounded with certain armor.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
That last titanite demon in the basement of sen's fortress is such bs, I had to lure it all the way back to the doorway and pop out with lightning spear to kill it. I'm sure there's a ring to move freely in water but I haven't seen it yet. I really hated that whole area, there's no shortcuts and the bonfire is literally right at the end

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm sure there's a ring to move freely in water but I haven't seen it yet.
There is, and you can find it before this point in the game.

I really hated that whole area, there's no shortcuts and the bonfire is literally right at the end
There are shortcuts.

1. The cage lift takes you from the first room to right under the boss. - Key: Jump across the gap in the bridge to the Crestfallen Merchant, down the stairs underneat him is the key.
2. The drop down chute takes you almost the same length, drop from the hole after the double pressure plate, arriving where the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring is, overlooking the cage lift

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I got the key from where the merchant is and the slumbering dragoncrest ring but I never saw any lift, must have missed it

Which reminds me I forgot to go back and free the npc from that area lol

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone be willing to drop me a bunch of consumable soul items if you have some stocked up on PS4/PS5? You can back up your save and redownload them once we're done. I'm trying to do another quick playthrough to get to NG+ on a new character. Would be much appreciated!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Would anyone be willing to drop me a bunch of consumable soul items if you have some stocked up on PS4/PS5? You can back up your save and redownload them once we're done. I'm trying to do another quick playthrough to get to NG+ on a new character. Would be much appreciated!

I can do it tomorrow if no one else offers by then. The only issue is that I think my last save is in NG+2 in Anor Londo, without the Lord Vessel, so you'd have to summon me there, and I'm assuming you are at the beginning of the game?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
what's wrong with Manus? giving you trouble?
He's stupidly hard. I don't understand the tracking in his spells. Sometimes I dodge them just fine, other times I get hit by half of them. He has that one spell that surrounds you that I have no idea if you can even dodge. Then there's the stupid combo attack that if I'm too slow to react to will either kill me or leave me with so little health the next hit will. So if I don't dodge that next hit, I'm dead. But if it's an attack with a fast recovery, then he'll just hit me during my heal so it's like I never healed at all. So I also have to wait for certain attacks. It's too much. I haven't been this exhausted fighting a boss and a boss hasn't taken me this long to kill since Laurence in Bloodborne. I'm also doing very little damage. Like 140 with a +5 Moonlight Greatsword so I eventually fuck up because of how long the fight lasts.

Edit: Over 2 hours later, He's dead. What an asshole.

Last edited:

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
He's stupidly hard. I don't understand the tracking in his spells. Sometimes I dodge them just fine, other times I get hit by half of them. He has that one spell that surrounds you that I have no idea if you can even dodge. Then there's the stupid combo attack that if I'm too slow to react to will either kill me or leave me with so little health the next hit will. So if I don't dodge that next hit, I'm dead. But if it's an attack with a fast recovery, then he'll just hit me during my heal so it's like I never healed at all. So I also have to wait for certain attacks. It's too much. I haven't been this exhausted fighting a boss and a boss hasn't taken me this long to kill since Laurence in Bloodborne. I'm also doing very little damage. Like 140 with a +5 Moonlight Greatsword so I eventually fuck up because of how long the fight lasts.

Edit: Over 2 hours later, He's dead. What an asshole.
He's pretty resistant to magic attacks and moonlight greatsword only does magic attack. That was probably your issue.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
His combo, the roar is the tell so I always roll backwards twice to get out of it's way, then come in to attack the second fist slam.

The 3 magic spells:
1. Magic rain - You can dodge roll 3 times or out run in any direction. Always reminds of Ebritus' sky laser attacks or Rom's ice rocks in Bloodborne.
2. Forward magic beam - Dodge left or right, you can dodge this quite late and I usually do.
3. Ring of magic - Run in towards Manus, the flow of magic out from his staff can't hit you afaik, at least I've never been hit by it. The ring of magic balls come in towards him, but stop short so it's safe to stand near him and this is a good chance to get some damage in.

I never use the Silver Pendant, but if you're caught far away from him when he does the ring of magic and can't get near enough to him to avoid them, it would be good for that occasion.

Each one has a different move he does with the catalyst, so watch out for what he's doing. Rain - he raises it up, Beam, he thrusts it forward from his waist, the ring of magic he lifts it up then slams it in to the ground.

After spending many hours learning the fight for SL1 and challenge runs, he's really become my favourite boss in the game.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
His combo, the roar is the tell so I always roll backwards twice to get out of it's way, then come in to attack the second fist slam.

The 3 magic spells:
1. Magic rain - You can dodge roll 3 times or out run in any direction. Always reminds of Ebritus' sky laser attacks or Rom's ice rocks in Bloodborne.
2. Forward magic beam - Dodge left or right, you can dodge this quite late and I usually do.
3. Ring of magic - Run in towards Manus, the flow of magic out from his staff can't hit you afaik, at least I've never been hit by it. The ring of magic balls come in towards him, but stop short so it's safe to stand near him and this is a good chance to get some damage in.

I never use the Silver Pendant, but if you're caught far away from him when he does the ring of magic and can't get near enough to him to avoid them, it would be good for that occasion.

Each one has a different move he does with the catalyst, so watch out for what he's doing. Rain - he raises it up, Beam, he thrusts it forward from his waist, the ring of magic he lifts it up then slams it in to the ground.

After spending many hours learning the fight for SL1 and challenge runs, he's really become my favourite boss in the game.
I actually read how to fight him after beating him and was shocked at all the stuff I missed, including the silver pendant and especially running towards him to dodge that one spell. After a while that was the only thing giving me trouble.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
anyone on PS4 near a boss that you could summon me for? Trying to lower the req to join the sunlight covenant so I don't have to level faith.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting Sen's Fortress and the trash is suddenly kicking my ass.

My toon is a pyro and around +10. Most of my souls have gone into that but I did put some in STR, a couple in DEX (bow), and a couple in INT / Faith looking forward. But for the most part just pyro.

But the trash comes at me too fast with too much range to get fire going. Any thoughts on weapons perhaps?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

My toon is a pyro and around +10. Most of my souls have gone into that but I did put some in STR, a couple in DEX (bow), and a couple in INT / Faith looking forward. But for the most part just pyro.

But the trash comes at me too fast with too much range to get fire going. Any thoughts on weapons perhaps?
I struggled there for a little bit. I found using the Crest Shield (blocks the magic from some helps), hit them from range with magic (try to fight 1v1) and try and get behind them to backstab with some weapon

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I just killed Smough and Ornstein. Took more time trying new strategies than just doing what I generally do (roll, roll, block, attack, etc.).

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Use the traps in Sen's to do some of the dirty work for you - the dart traps, the swinging blades, the ball - they can all kill the enemies for you.

Whatever weapon you jive with is the best, as long as you keep it upgraded as far as you can (+10 by Sen's). You should've picked a fair few weapons by now, they're all good really - test out the movesets and see which you like.
Some solid choices for a first playthrough: Longsword, Halberd, (Reinforced) Club, Claymore, Rapier, Estoc, Spear, Partizan, Battle Axe. The Hand Axe that the Pyromancer starts with is also surprisingly good and fast. I'm loathed to add the Zweihander to the list but no doubt people love that thing!

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just gotta say screw Bed of Chaos. Also seems like I missed getting the stuff needed for the DLC so I might just skip that entirely.