• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Did they really? I had no idea and now with hundreds of Dark Souls hours under my belt I'm still SUPER wary of those basilisks mostly because of repeat curses. FROM is going easy on us.

The things you learn ...

Yeah I got to it way late because I got it with games with gold back in what 2014? The game wasn't even on my radar, but I had very very very little income, so I could only fork out a few dollars for xbl gold, and so dark souls was all I could play that month. Kinda glad as it forced me to play it, and I didn't have much else.

But from what I recall I think this is one of the very first patches the game got I think. But I could be wrong.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So I restarted awhile back, jumped into my save today, and barely remember what I've done. I made it to O&S in my last run years ago. This one, Im in the depths and assume I need to hit the Gaping Dragon next. I wish there was someway to hit a log and see what bosses Ive done.

Ive got an Uchi +10 and not sure where to upgrade from there.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I restarted awhile back, jumped into my save today, and barely remember what I've done. I made it to O&S in my last run years ago. This one, Im in the depths and assume I need to hit the Gaping Dragon next. I wish there was someway to hit a log and see what bosses Ive done.

Ive got an Uchi +10 and not sure where to upgrade from there.
Gaping Dragon is next, then it's obvious from after killing the boss what is next. +10 means you got the large ember from the Depths and farmed enough large shards to upgrade that far, which is as far as you can get now without doing a little sequence breaking.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks! I know whats next but not sure if I've done Gaping or not. Looking for suggestions for upgrade goals, not looking to sequence break.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I know whats next but not sure if I've done Gaping or not. Looking for suggestions for upgrade goals, not looking to sequence break.

Most bosses have at least one unique drop. Could be a unique boss soul. Could be a key.
I don't think the Gaping Dragon has a boss soul, but if you have the Blighttown Key in your inventory, I'm pretty sure that means you've killed it.
If you also have Dragon King Greataxe, that comes from breaking off the Gaping Dragon's tail before killing it. Pretty sure that's a unique drop too.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
+10 will see you through the next few areas, you could always upgrade some armour if you're flush with materials but I never bother. Long term goal would be +15 (the max), but that's a while off yet. Elemental upgrades are an option later (fire, lightning) but the split damage is usually not recommended as it removes stat scaling bonus damage and enemies can be resistant making your weapon feel underpowered (for example a fire weapon against a fire-resistant boss).

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
+10 will see you through the next few areas, you could always upgrade some armour if you're flush with materials but I never bother. Long term goal would be +15 (the max), but that's a while off yet. Elemental upgrades are an option later (fire, lightning) but the split damage is usually not recommended as it removes stat scaling bonus damage and enemies can be resistant making your weapon feel underpowered (for example a fire weapon against a fire-resistant boss).

Yup, I almost never bothered with elemental weapons, because they're too situational and, depending on your build, can really negate stat scaling, undercutting your potential DPS. That said, I was always fond of the Quality build (I think it was called), which is basically having Str and Dex at the same level (both at 20, both at 30, both at 40, etc.) and then converting a weapon that scales equally with both stats to Raw (I think it was called).

I only bothered with elemental weapons in my first ever run of the first Dark Souls, where I basically had one long sword covering most of the major elements. The drawback to this approach is that you're unlikely to have enough materials, even in the end-game, to max them all out to +15.

I think my usual go-to physical builds in Dark Souls 1 are a Quality/Raw Claymore character or a Dex-heavy Great Scythe character. Both are tons of fun and probably just a tad OP. :)

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This helps, if Im going to get past O&S this time, Im ok with a tad OP.

I looked at what boss souls I had, didnt think about checking keys! Thanks.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations! I remember the rush of my first clear!
If you plan on playing NG+, try to kill them in the opposite order.
They both have unique boss souls, but you can only ever get one per fight.
So whichever you got this time, go for the other next time (if there is a next time).

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Welcome! Have any trouble with these two?

I am definitely better now, on my way to "get gud". I just took a really long time, kept guarding backwards until O got enough distance from S where I could whack him (one at a time). Heal from any missteps and kept backing up. Finally, O dropped and S by himself was a piece of cake.

Made it back to Fireshrine and realized I have to go back and fight lautrec? But I have been Animal Crossing all week, so a short breather before moving forward.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
So I want to get into Dark Souls for the first time (PC player) but Im not sure if I should go for Dark Souls with DSFix or Dark Souls Remastered. What would you recommend me? I definitely want to play with Keyboard and Mouse, Im allergic to controllers.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So I want to get into Dark Souls for the first time (PC player) but Im not sure if I should go for Dark Souls with DSFix or Dark Souls Remastered. What would you recommend me? I definitely want to play with Keyboard and Mouse, Im allergic to controllers.
I'd definitely recommend the Remaster. Plenty of QoL fixes and no need for mods or tweaks. Works better with keyboard and mouse too.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I'd definitely recommend the Remaster. Plenty of QoL fixes and no need for mods or tweaks. Works better with keyboard and mouse too.

Are there any good mods that fix the visuals in the Remaster? From the comparisons I looked at the Remaster seems to really hurt the flair of the original game, especially with its changed lighting.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Are there any good mods that fix the visuals in the Remaster? From the comparisons I looked at the Remaster seems to really hurt the flair of the original game, especially with its changed lighting.
What comparisons if I may ask?

I don't think it looks any worse than the original, quite the opposite actually. It's a notable improvement overall. It's definitely possible something is changed for the worse but I haven't noticed anything in the 200 hours I've put into DS:R.

However, there are no mods for that, as far as I know.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
What comparisons if I may ask?

I don't think it looks any worse than the original, quite the opposite actually. It's a notable improvement overall. It's definitely possible something is changed for the worse but I haven't noticed anything in the 200 hours I've put into DS:R.

However, there are no mods for that, as far as I know.

This is the worst example I could find, but there are plenty others. The whole mood of the shot is destroyed by the remaster. The remaster might have higher quality textures, but the original is much more evocative:

rWmCMjM.png

tmaYnW5.png

It just strikes me as one of these low-effort remasters like Arkham City where there wasnt nearly enough effort put into preserving the artistic integrity of the original game, atleast from a visual standpoint.

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback. I will get the remastered version regardless and probably slap an ENB over it to get over the visuals which look unnecessarily flat to my eyes.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
This is the worst example I could find, but there are plenty others. The whole mood of the shot is destroyed by the remaster. The remaster might have higher quality textures, but the original is much more evocative:

unknown.png

unknown.png

It just strikes me as one of these low-effort remasters like Arkham City where there wasnt nearly enough effort put into preserving the artistic integrity of the original game, atleast from a visual standpoint.

Anyhow, thanks for your feedback. I will get the remastered version regardless and probably slap an ENB over it to get over the visuals which look unnecessarily flat to my eyes.
I'm really curious to see for myself, but the images are not loading for me. 😣

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm a bit amused that someone who never played the game can claim that the remaster "hurts the flair of the original". Being a purist about a game you haven't played?

The remaster is fine and brings many QoL improvements. There's not much reason to upgrade (beyond multiplayer improvements, if you play in MP) if you already own PTD with DSFix, but if you don't, get the remaster.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit amused that someone who never played the game can claim that the remaster "hurts the flair of the original". Being a purist about a game you haven't played?

The remaster is fine and brings many QoL improvements. There's not much reason to upgrade (beyond multiplayer improvements, if you play in MP) if you already own PTD with DSFix, but if you don't, get the remaster.

Idk I thought the bonfires were done very artistically. Maybe it was done due to constraints, but I've always found it sort of painterly. And that's just kinda...gone now.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
for DS veterans , going back to DS1 , it seems to the easiest one for me , anyone one else feel the same?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I platinumed the game on PS3 and then again on the PS4 via the remastered version.
There were one or two graphical elements in the original game that I preferred, but found that the improvements (just visually) vastly outweighed any cons.
To say nothing of the nice QoL improvements we also got. And in the case of consoles, performance increases. PS3 was definitely a bit yikes at times.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I platinumed the game on PS3 and then again on the PS4 via the remastered version.
There were one or two graphical elements in the original game that I preferred, but found that the improvements (just visually) vastly outweighed any cons.
To say nothing of the nice QoL improvements we also got. And in the case of consoles, performance increases. PS3 was definitely a bit yikes at times.
Agree with all that :)

I'll be honest - even with a divine weapon I hated the Catacombs more than Blighttown!
Agree with none of that :(
lol, j/k - B-town is fine with me, but Catacombs is one of my favourite areas. Surely it's a walk in the park with a divine weapon?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Yep, works fine now.

That particular scene seems fairly minor to me and is probably one of the few things that are changed honestly. After 500h PTDE and 200h of the Remaster I don't think I ever noticed anything that stood out, it's pretty much a 1:1 Remaster in terms of staying true to the original aesthetic as far as I'm concerned.

I tried booting it up and see for myself but PTDE kept crashing on me while DSfix was installed, so I could only grab a screen in glorious 720p. The point is the aesthetic though so it shouldn't make too much of a difference, but I think the scene is still very much the same; it's just that the sunbeam is stronger in the Remaster:

ptde2wj50.jpg

remaster8qj14.jpg

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

Its not about me having played the game or beeing a purist. Im a cinematographer and as such I put alot of value on well-thought out visuals. And when I see a clear step down in cinematographic quality in the comparisons I watch between the OG and the Remaster, its something that bothers me. I realize I probably care more about this stuff than most people due to me having a great passion for this sort of thing, its perhaps things not everyone would pick up on.

For example XR. says that for him the example I posted is fairly minor, but for me the difference is night and day.

Edit: Anyhow, regardless of this, Ive now bought the remastered version as you all advised me that its overall the superior product, which in the end is what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help and I look forward to finally playing this.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Finally cracking open my copy with the intent to not fall off the game like I did with the original when it launched. I've got a pretty dire-looking pile of FROM releases here that needs some attention. Might as well take it from the top (beat Demon's years ago).

Nice to see some other folk running around the starting area on Xbox. I was a bit concerned it'd be a ghost town by now.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Got the key to Blighttown via the Depths. I'm having a great time with the game this time around; though my desire to avoid looking things up was put to the test when I got cursed. Those little buggers obliterated me.

The game might be almost a decade old but it cleans up really well with this remaster:
LPEriVO.png

Last edited:

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So I suffered thru New Londo, beat Four Kings my second try (turns out, theyre ghosts!).

Ran around finishing some weapons: got a Furysword, a divine longsword, and got my uchi up to 14.. Beat Pinwheel in less than 60 seconds and ready for Tomb of Giants.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
And that's two Lord souls down. I happened to see my total playtime and was surprised, it's stilling at 30 hours when I expected something more like 15. The game is just flying by; it really lives up to all the praise.

...Baring the Demon Ruins of course.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Doing a Pyro only run and had to kill Quelaag with dung pies - took forever for her to get toxic, maybe 30+ dungpies probably with her bar ticking down between chances to throw although I think it stuck until she died. I threw more as the fight went on just in case. Not the recommended method of killing her if speed is your goal!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Doing a Pyro only run and had to kill Quelaag with dung pies - took forever for her to get toxic, maybe 30+ dungpies probably with her bar ticking down between chances to throw although I think it stuck until she died. I threw more as the fight went on just in case. Not the recommended method of killing her if speed is your goal!

How quickly did she die after getting the Toxic status?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How quickly did she die after getting the Toxic status?
About 7 or 8 minutes I think. I punched her about half a dozen times too, but that doesn't do much, like 4HP per hit or something.

Upgrading DEX for faster casts laster was interesting, I've never done it before - I had nothing else to level up besides END really. It was noticable, but it did also change the angle of the cast of combustion (probably just the timing of the hitbox during the cast animation) so I found it difficult to hit low enemies with it even when angling the camera, for example the Ents in Darkroot before they pop up out of the ground.

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bought this day one. Starting it tonight. 😂
Any build suggestions to help me? I loved strength build in Bloodborne.

It all depends on what weapons you end up enjoying. With a STR build, you can two hand greatswords and kill most enemies in 1-2 hits.

But if you're coming from Bloodborne you may feel that Dark Souls is slow. In that case, try a Dex build and keep your equip load below <50% or even <20%.

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on what weapons you end up enjoying. With a STR build, you can two hand greatswords and kill most enemies in 1-2 hits.

But if you're coming from Bloodborne you may feel that Dark Souls is slow. In that case, try a Dex build and keep your equip load below <50% or even <20%.

Yes, the Dex build sounds like my style. Is it possible to do that with some magic skills added in? Is magic even viable in this game?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the Dex build sounds like my style. Is it possible to do that with some magic skills added in? Is magic even viable in this game?

You totally can if you wanted to. Pyromancy is a very strong option and doesn't require any stats to be used. Then there's also Sorcery and Miracles, which require an investment in Intelligence and Faith, respectively. Spells will require a certain level of either stat before you can cast them.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I keep hearing that you could get soft banned for using mods in any of the Souls games (PC)...1) what is the likelihood of this happening?...and 2) what exactly is a soft ban compared to a 'normal' ban?