• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game at least a dozen times on PS3 and am still really exciting to play through it again in 60FPS with an active community. God I love this gameXD

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
FROM Software released the launch trailer

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the hate for Remasters, it isn't like you get robbed of a game.
If you don't care for the improvements, don't buy it.

And I remember the PC + DSfix having clipping bugs with 60fps, so there's an improvement.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
FROM Software released the launch trailer

might be a strange opinion... but i think it looks a little too clean with 60fps .-)

don´t get me wrong, 60fps is better than 30 and the stuttery mess that is Blighttown, but it has some sort of cheap look with the higher framerate...that is an effect i have with a few games and this here is one of them. Or maybe i have played too many hours in the inferior version that i can´t get my brain to adjust to this sort of smoothness for the game, haha. It is a little bit like watching a hollywood movie versus a soap opera: something feels cheap visually.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to be there day 1 but I am still playing through Dark Souls 3 so I will get this later.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but it has some sort of cheap look with the higher framerate

That's not so weird actually. I remember the reason nobody liked the higher framerate in the Hobbit movies is because it reminded them too much of soap operas and those cheap TV documentaries.

Maybe that's how the game looks to you, too. I did notice some of the animations look a little off in 60fps, which just makes me wonder if slower games like Dark Souls really need it.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
1:17 That texture pop-in ;)

Yeah, maybe it get that cheepish feel like RE: Revolutions 2 but just think about DS2 which I probably played mostly due to 60 fps. I think you will adjust and not being able to go back.
However I'm concerned about if it's easier to parry? I tried DSfix recently and found it really easy to do. Is easy parry a DSfix- or 60fps-"problem"?
60fps is better than 30 and the stuttery mess that is Blighttown, but it has some sort of cheap look with the higher framerate...that is an effect i have with a few games and this here is one of them.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
You smell that? it smells like death, suffering....and SunnyD.

tumblr_odgkabsNKV1rjhylco1_500.gif

I praise that the sun be with you brothers.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hype.

Dd3zv0aVQAATEGv.jpg

Can't use the theme yet, but if it's the one I saw on YouTube then it's pretty much the worst thing ever.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I'm torn with this. I'm not impressed by the Remaster, thry've done very little to improve it and I'd argue it's a port and not a Remaster. I have also replayed it twice in teh last 18 months, once on PS3 (so I could play with my mate) and once on PC wih dsfix.

On the other hand, I love this game and I can't get enough of it and the idea of having populated servers again for co-op massively appeals to me.

I've cancelled and and re-ordered about 3 times now over the past month as I try to decide, but the fact the servers will be populated again on this great game has finally made me sway towards buying it again, for the 4th time (have 360, PS3 and PC version).

Toxik

Banned
May 22, 2018
This is a bad remaster, especially on PC where the original game is still dog shit, only mostly fixed with a mod.

The fact they are charging owners of the PC original again is incredible.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I've looked everywhere.
How the heck does one buy this for PC?

Even the BandaiNamco website doesn't have it listed for PC.

Yeah, they're absolutely crap at promoting it across all formats. Anyways, this is the SteamDB page for it, and there's speculation pre-order (or at least Steam store page) will go up tomorrow. I find pre-order unlikely, since a one-day pre-order is pointless when they can just sell it on the 25th without any pre-order faff. If you look at the SteamDB page history, you'll see

Added store name – DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED

followed by

Removed store name – DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED

So they pushed the store page out early, by accident, and then undid that. Bit of a mess, really, but, eh, only two days left.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played this, only DS3 and Bloodborne. Question, can you start the dlc when you've beaten the game or does that send you to NG? When are you supposed to dive into the dlc?

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played this, only DS3 and Bloodborne. Question, can you start the dlc when you've beaten the game or does that send you to NG? When are you supposed to dive into the dlc?
Yeah it sends you straight to NG+ after the final boss, Not sure if they changed it for the remaster, I took on the DLC like 3/4 through the game I think

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK

Beating the final boss takes you straight to NG+.

So you need to do the DLC before taking the final boss on. I recommned doing it towards the end of the game, the DLC is tough.

Amakusa

Powered by Friendship™
Nov 2, 2017
Beating the final boss takes you straight to NG+.

So you need to do the DLC before taking the final boss on. I recommned doing it towards the end of the game, the DLC is tough.

I'd even go as far as to claim that the Dark Souls DLC is the toughest of all the Soulsborne games.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Got a copy reserved at the local store. Never had the chance to play Dark Souls before, even when I loved BB and DS II and III.

I think I am ready!

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
uhhh i could be wrong but i don't think this is a good Remaster. I'm concerned... But i love dark souls, and put 300 hours into it so i guess thats why i have it preloaded already haha.

You can being the process of accessing the DLC after you've obtained the Lordvessel, which is about 2/3rds of the way into the game. Unlike recent games in the series, getting to it is rather complicated and not spelled out at all, so you might want to consult a guide to point you in the right direction.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Rolling a halberd wielding mace for my first replay through.
Edit: monk not mace although...

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the hate for Remasters, it isn't like you get robbed of a game.
If you don't care for the improvements, don't buy it.

And I remember the PC + DSfix having clipping bugs with 60fps, so there's an improvement.

Here's what the problem is if you bought this, day one, on the PC.

The port was atrocious, and everyone here knows it. Some people will actually defend From Software by saying it was their first port.

But if the community, in just a few days, fixes the major issues of your own crappy port, without even having access to the source code, then you're not just lazy, but you're borderline incompetent.

Some people around here dislike the word 'lazy' - but frankly there's no other word for it. I don't believe for one second that From was unable to implement on their own the same fixes that the community produced within days of the game's release.

It's a moot point anyway because if you can't even be bothered to implement, via a patch, the same basic fixes made by your own community (once they've shown you, embarrassingly, how to fix your own game... once they've schooled you on the basics of porting), then you ARE lazy.

And now... how many years later... From finally decides to fix their game... and actually wants me to pay for it?

Screw that. They won't be getting one red cent of my income.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what the problem is if you bought this, day one, on the PC.

The port was atrocious, and everyone here knows it. Some people will actually defend From Software by saying it was their first port.

But if the community, in just a few days, fixes the major issues of your own crappy port, without even having access to the source code, then you're not just lazy, but you're borderline incompetent.

Some people around here dislike the word 'lazy' - but frankly there's no other word for it. I don't believe for one second that From was unable to implement on their own the same fixes that the community produced within days of the game's release.

It's a moot point anyway because if you can't even be bothered to implement, via a patch, the same basic fixes made by your own community (once they've shown you, embarrassingly, how to fix your own game... once they've schooled you on the basics of porting), then you ARE lazy.

And now... how many years later... From finally decides to fix their game... and actually wants me to pay for it?

Screw that. They won't be getting one red cent of my income.

Four full flegded souls games in 5 years...yep. Lazy is a fair assessment.

Oct 25, 2017
1:17 That texture pop-in ;)

Yeah, maybe it get that cheepish feel like RE: Revolutions 2 but just think about DS2 which I probably played mostly due to 60 fps. I think you will adjust and not being able to go back.
However I'm concerned about if it's easier to parry? I tried DSfix recently and found it really easy to do. Is easy parry a DSfix- or 60fps-"problem"?
More of a DS1 thing, really. Parry is super easy in DS1, you can wait for the very last moment and get the parry.

I prefer it this way, though. Parry and riposte in DS1 and Bloodborne are by far the most satisfying in the series.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking forward to jumping back into this game since it was announced. I'm going for a sorcery build straight out of the gate this time. Usually I save that for a second or third character. I already have the plan mapped out to head straight into Blighttown for the red robes and tin catalyst, and then get after Griggs of Vinheim and Big Hat Logan.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Paging Yoshichan ;) :

Useless to me because I don't point down, I toss a prism stone and pray gesture. And it's 70 quid, so fuck that.

Also, I'd have accepted gesture DLC instead of that overpriced medal. "Pumped Up" from Dark Souls 2, anyone?? No? Just me then...

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Useless to me because I don't point down, I toss a prism stone and pray gesture. And it's 70 quid, so fuck that.

Also, I'd have accepted gesture DLC instead of that overpriced medal. "Pumped Up" from Dark Souls 2, anyone?? No? Just me then...

Are you Yoshichan? No...? Ok then, not you! ;)

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Speak for yourself.

Im getting Dark Souls 1 at 60 fps at a resolution above 1080p with new textures and lighting, QOL improvements and complete with AOTA DLC all for 40 bucks.

Sold.

I will get at least 300 hours of playtime from this game.
I am speaking for myself, obviously, and was agreeing with someone else. I'm getting the game too. I'm just not ultra excited about it. It's ok, don't be offended

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I'm so jealous of everyone who said they haven't played this before. Oh, to experience this again for the first time. Sen's Fortress alone. This game has such amazing level design.