• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm pretty sure the 'Wisdom of a Sage' (get all sorceries) achievement is bugged for me. I'm 100% sure I have everything, but I'm not getting it.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
So, lock on or off for the bosses? Only played bloodborne and ds3 and not being able to roll everywhere when locked or run away pressing the run button is killing me.

Feels like other game.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So, lock on or off for the bosses? Only played bloodborne and ds3 and not being able to roll everywhere when locked or run away pressing the run button is killing me.

Feels like other game.

Off for the most part, in my opinion. You're just gonna end up killing yourself due to the 4-way rolling if you're locked on at all times.

Mar 21, 2018
I did it. I bloody well did it. I beat Ornstein and Smough, something I never achieved when I first played the game. I did it solo, too, although it took me a few tries.

I think it helped that since DS1 I beat 2, 3 and Bloodborne so I have a much better understanding of the mechanics.

Now that I have the Lord Vessel, where should I go next?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Feels like other game.

Lock off most of the time. It usually does do more harm than good. There are perhaps only two bosses where I keep it locked on in the game.

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
I did it. I bloody well did it. I beat Ornstein and Smough, something I never achieved when I first played the game. I did it solo, too, although it took me a few tries.

I think it helped that since DS1 I beat 2, 3 and Bloodborne so I have a much better understanding of the mechanics.

Now that I have the Lord Vessel, where should I go next?

Talk to Frampt or go beat the four kings first for a different story event.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say the extended aggro range is some stupid shit. Dunno why they changed that but not the rolls.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm about to play this for the first time. Is there a good sword in the beginning of the game that I can use with a shield during the whole game? I used the broadsword in Dark Souls II which became pretty weak during the endgame. I didn't like that game much so I didn't want to explore for a new weapon. I'm afraid to get in the same situation in this one.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to play this for the first time. Is there a good sword in the beginning of the game that I can use with a shield during the whole game? I used the broadsword in Dark Souls II which became pretty weak during the endgame. I didn't like that game much so I didn't want to explore for a new weapon. I'm afraid to get in the same situation in this one.

Not the beginning, but I used the Claymore for the majority of my original run, and you can get it relatively early I think (Id have to look up where exactly).

This just happened: got invaded in Undead Parrish, immediately summoned help. My helper is badass and starts plowing through people, running up the tower. I'm like my dude that's not what you're here for. And sure enough as I'm chasing him up a hallway, a red thingy starts coming up behind me and BAM insta-kill. Thanks a lot guy.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downed Kappa on my first try after not playing the game in like 5 years.

5Ov61wr.png

I had an initial close call when the dogs had me cornered and kept attacking me before I could get a swing of my bandit axe off, but once they were done with the rest of the fight was simple.

The game as a whole is a true classic, but it does have moments where their corner cutting shows -- And I honestly think this fight is one of them. It's a poor encounter. It's only difficult because of the awkward and small arena and the dog adds. It feels cheap and unfairly punishing this early in the game (if you are a new player). The challenge of the fight shouldn't come from the awkwardness of the design. The reason I refer to it as corner cutting is because I suspect they would have preferred to have a legitimate boss here, but instead grabbed a regular enemy from a later area and threw it into a tiny room with some dogs to make it hard.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not the beginning, but I used the Claymore for the majority of my original run, and you can get it relatively early I think (Id have to look up where exactly).

This just happened: got invaded in Undead Parrish, immediately summoned help. My helper is badass and starts plowing through people, running up the tower. I'm like my dude that's not what you're here for. And sure enough as I'm chasing him up a hallway, a red thingy starts coming up behind me and BAM insta-kill. Thanks a lot guy.

Claymore is under the Dragon at the bridge. For early game I think you can wait at the stairs until he flies away?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Falchion, Balder Swag Sword or Gold Tracer (DLC)

Claymore is under the Dragon at the bridge. For early game I think you can wait at the stairs until he flies away?

He doesn't fly away but goes to the bridge, you can run away from him when he does to the bonfire after the bridge. When you're there is when he flies out.

I just started walking around and the control over your character already feels better than in DS II. Is the combat slower or faster than in DD II?

It's a bit faster. Not DS3 faster though.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I may have rerolled Sorcerer.

Never done this before in a Souls game, but so far it's been very interesting. I mean I can still block, circle and backstab when the need arises, but most enemies die before they close the distance. I have 60 soul arrows, 20 greater arows, 12 heavy arrows and a +5 Magic weapon (thank you, leeches) before I've even started Sen's Fortress. Bosses in particular have been ridiculous, I didn't even get hit by Queelag. Bit worried about what happens when I get to the Duke's Archives though. Maybe ascend a second weapon to Lightning or Fire or something?

Just went and retrieved the Enchanted Ember, but do I go for Magic +10 or Enchanted +5? I have just enough Str/Dex to use the weapon onehanded, so I'm tending towards Enchanted for the better Int scaling. And because I can farm the Blue chunks in Darkroot Basin.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Falchion, Balder Swag Sword or Gold Tracer (DLC)

He doesn't fly away but goes to the bridge, you can run away from him when he does to the bonfire after the bridge. When you're there is when he flies out.

It's a bit faster. Not DS3 faster though.

I noticed it is faster than in Ds II. The movement of DS II and its hitboxes were off. This game, DS III and Bloodborne feel much better.

Is Falchion one of the first areas?

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I noticed it is faster than in Ds II. The movement of DS II and its hitboxes were off. This game, DS III and Bloodborne feel much better.

Is Falchion one of the first areas?

Falchion isn't as readily available in the early game as some other weapons, both ways to get it early kinda sorta requires the Master Key gift: Either you can get it from a suicidal loot run through Blighttown via the back entrance, or grab Astora Straight Sword from Valley of Drakes and use it to kill Skeletons in the graveyard/Catacombs (who frequently drop the Falchion). If you play the game normally you'll still get it in Blighttown, but you'll have to rely on something else to get you there.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Haven't bought the remaster but how is everyone enjoying the best game of this decade so far?

Feels like other game.

Depends on the boss and depends on the situation, Dark Souls is way more tactical than Bloodborne and DS3, it's something you need to figure out on the fly instead of just play it like an action game.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I may have rerolled Sorcerer.

Never done this before in a Souls game, but so far it's been very interesting. I mean I can still block, circle and backstab when the need arises, but most enemies die before they close the distance. I have 60 soul arrows, 20 greater arows, 12 heavy arrows and a +5 Magic weapon (thank you, leeches) before I've even started Sen's Fortress. Bosses in particular have been ridiculous, I didn't even get hit by Queelag. Bit worried about what happens when I get to the Duke's Archives though. Maybe ascend a second weapon to Lightning or Fire or something?

Just went and retrieved the Enchanted Ember, but do I go for Magic +10 or Enchanted +5? I have just enough Str/Dex to use the weapon onehanded, so I'm tending towards Enchanted for the better Int scaling. And because I can farm the Blue chunks in Darkroot Basin.

Duke's Archives boss is fine as a sorcerer. Just takes a while. The tail cuts really easily, but you need to free aim it, which is awkward.

Haven't bought the remaster but how is everyone enjoying the best game of this decade so far?

Dragon's Dogma PS4 is pretty cool :P

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If you map the roll to a shoulder button you can roll (and run!) while manipulating the camera, making lock-on nearly pointless. I found that much easier than having roll on a face button.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wish there was an armor piece that prevented backstabs (like with Dark Souls 2 which had the jestor's armor)...other players are too easily able to backstab me

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the remaster has reaffirmed my belief that Dark Souls is the best game ever made. The world design and enemy design are still unparalleled and one must applaud the team for creating such a long, complex and deep game where the systems are logical and make sense. What a game it is.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I wish there was an armor piece that prevented backstabs (like with Dark Souls 2 which had the jestor's armor)...other players are too easily able to backstab me

The Souls fanbase has been asking for ''Invulnerable against backstabs while shield is on your back'' mechanic for years but it just didn't happen, I honestly thought it's a brilliant concept, giving up shield block in exchange for invulnerability on your back, how cool is that?

EVyFkT6.png

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Souls fanbase has been asking for ''Invulnerable against backstabs while shield is on your back'' mechanic for years but it just didn't happen, I honestly thought it's a brilliant concept, giving up shield block in exchange for invulnerability on your back, how cool is that?

EVyFkT6.png

that is a nice concept...

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say the extended aggro range is some stupid shit. Dunno why they changed that but not the rolls.
Yeah I thought they had changed the aggro range, seems a bit ridiculous now for some enemies compared to what it was like before. The ghosts New Londo in particular are annoying.

Goroh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going ham on everything with zwei+15 and pyro. So broken for a weapon that you find at the start of the game.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

EVyFkT6.png

Yeah its brilliant.

Even visually,it makes a whole lot of sense.

At the very least it should protect against backstab during PvP.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the Undead Burg there's a chest with 4 of them. You'll need the Residence Key I believe—it's the House after the firebombers with a firebomber and 2 axe hollows in front of it, across from the ladder leading up to the firebombers.

Shit I was hoping there was more lol. I used all of that on Taurus Demon / Boar / random enemies I got scared of.

On the positive side, I decided to summon a Sunbro for the Gargoyles. Then I got up to the most and said fuck it, let's summon Solaire as well. So we thoroughly trounced the Garvoyles after that.