• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
lol people cancelling preorder when the game isn't even out yet and we know nothing about an official statement
They should instead throw money at a game that has bad word of mouth, a game that is not going to run short in stock? Yup, make sense, let's lol at people not wanting to throw money at a game until they see some better reviews and reactions.

Consumers don't have an obligation to give a company money when they make a possibly subpar product, if it is indeed a misunderstanding, then it's on FROM to clarify it and restore our confidence, not our responsibility to blindly throw money at them, because SOUlsbuunnneee.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that we're entering busiest part of the year in terms of games release, I wouldn't blame anyone to put this on lower priority list.
My interest got back up thanks to demo playing well in handheld and thinking that audio compression was just for the demo, but now I'm going to take a wait and see approach as well.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If anything preordering the Switch port for Dark Souls makes zero sense unless you literally do not care about any issues and just want the game no matter what.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
What if 100% of the game had framerate issues? Because this seems like it will affect all audio in the game, and it sounds truly low quality.
That's called bad framepacing, and it's here.

This is a bit of a bugger, but it's not a huge deal. For audiophiles sure, and for framerate-obsessives like me the framepacing is a bit of a kick in the nuts... But the majority of people just don't care. They're happy with £50 headphones and 1080p TVs, and honestly it's just tough to get too worked up about this kind of thing.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Some of you need hearing aids. It's extremely noticeable in all aspects of the audio, not just the sound effects. The title screen song on the network test was absolute trash quality, and the Bell Gargoyles was barely any better.

Some people appear to be listening to the audio with a baked bean can and a piece of string. ;)

Last edited:

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I only have checked the video so I really don't know how it is in reality, and beside the menu theme (wich is terrible) I don't see where those bad sounds are in the actual gameplay

Have you watched the recently uploaded comparison video in the first post of this thread? The difference is striking.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's puzzling how they aren't offering an audio download for those that want full audio quality.

there's reasons to make the quality cut to fit on the cart but the option to download better quality audio should be there for those that don't want a tradeoff.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Surprise surprise, people used to listening to terrible audio can't tell the difference

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Watched the video in OP. By Gwyn, that audio quality is even worse than I thought. Whoever made it has gone to great lengths to make sure it has zero dynamic range, low bitrate and is actually even clipping. This is totally unacceptable and if this is not fixed in the final release then I'm not even going to bother buying this.

As much as I would like a mobile Dark Souls game, if the game has this bad audio, how badly are the other aspects of it done?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
for what we got here, the menu themes are literally the only tracks that sound bad, it's nothing to do with "standards". the in game sounds seem okay in the op video
listen on actual speakers...
Hmm... Is that why fortnite and other games have weird audio issues?

Is it really due to file sizes?
for the millionth time in this thread: it has nothing to do with file size

My phone, could be why.
Listening via iPhone speakers and literally cannot tell the difference. Much more bothered by the A/B confirm/cancel option being patched in.

Sorry but ...
pB43k.jpg

Seriously, guys. We're talking about audio quality here. And you're trying to comment after listening through fucking PHONE SPEAKERS ....I wanna die.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for any one who is saying they can't hear the difference, did you play the network test?

it's not a little different, it's grating and hostile.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
I couldn't try the network test in docked mode, but in portable the audio quality was horribad. It remembered me to how some games sound in 3DS.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
for any one who is saying they can't hear the difference, did you play the network test?

it's not a little different, it's grating and hostile.

Or did they even watch the video in the first post of this very thread? If so, and assuming they still hear no difference, did they watch it on a potato? :)

I say this based on the fact that I can clearly hear the awful audio on my PC and that's nothing special, no surround sound, no flashy top of the range audio chip, just stereo sound and some average headphones.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
This is a remaster of that game though. Remasters have bigger file sizes because of improved textures.

If you wanted the last gen version I'm sure they could have done that without compromising sound. But as it is this is a remaster, and something has to give. In this case: sound quality.

Or they could simple use 8GB card like other Switch devs if that really is issue, or they can simple release day one patch that solves this problem.
Blaming Nintendo for sound issues of this games dont make sense, why Nintendo games dont have sound issues or any other 3rd party game outside of this game?

Some of the blame does rest on Nintendo's shoulders.
If they didn't charage an arm and a leg for the higher capacity cards this might not be a problem.

Can you blame developers if it costs them 50%+ more than slapping the game on a blu-ray.

Of Course you can, why other Switch devs are using 8GB cards or dont have sound issues with their Switch games?
This problem is 100% responsibility of dev, and we can only hope they will release patch for this problem.

Funny how history repeats itself.

I was reading today that Mortal Kombat Trilogy on N64 was compressed audio that was worst than the last gen version (Sega Genesis/SNES), and that was done to save up on space to fit all the fighters in the cartridge. Here it's to fit all the bosses.

Not really, in N64 you didn't had patches and updates, now you do, they can easily solve this problem by a single patch.

This is not a remaster of that game. It's the same game.... Switch version is a port of the 360 / PS3 version.
This isn't a remaster. It's based on the original version of Dark Souls and has been ported by an entirely different studio than the one that handled the PS4/XB1/PC versions.

He is right, technically this also is remaster of PS3/360 game, this game runs at 1080p on Switch so that alone can qualify Switch version like remaster, but also has 1-6 online players compared to 1-4 players on PS3/360, you also have more stable frame rate and probably some other improvments under hood (outside sound, lol).

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a bit of a bugger, but it's not a huge deal. For audiophiles sure, and for framerate-obsessives like me the framepacing is a bit of a kick in the nuts... But the majority of people just don't care. They're happy with £50 headphones and 1080p TVs, and honestly it's just tough to get too worked up about this kind of thing.

Woah there, nice try. I am perfectly happy with my 1080p panny plasma, and you can get good headphones for £50.

Next level stealth elitism there.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm by no means an audiophile but how tf can you guys not tell that this is compressed to heck?

I listened on my $15 earbuds and could tell.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Woah there, nice try. I am perfectly happy with my 1080p panny plasma, and you can get good headphones for £50.

Yes. There are lot of old Panasonic/Pioneer 1080p plasmas that are superior TVs than half the 4K sets that are considered "good" these days. Similarly the right pair of 50 pound headphones can already sound 1000 times better than TV speakers.

I'm by no means an audiophile but how tf can you guys not tell that this is compressed to heck?

I listened on my $15 earbuds and could tell.

Pretty much. It constantly baffles me how low people's standards are when it comes to audio.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cell phone speakers. Never playing the original game for comparison. Not playing the network test.

I'm hoping these three excuses cover everyone. I'd like to imagine people wouldn't troll a thread like this, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some were.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
It's very obvious whenever there is voice so much that you should be able to tell no matter what, unfortunately the video in OP cut out most of the parts that had voice. For example, in the music during asylum demon fight it's very obvious how poor the sound is on switch. In every other effect it's also worse and stereo imaging is severely cut down overall as well so much that directions are not clear.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Thanks Nintendo is literally the Thanks Obama of gaming. The game having horribly compressed sound, or whatever makes it so bad, is 100% on the developer of the game.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Cell phone speakers. Never playing the original game for comparison. Not playing the network test.

I'm hoping these three excuses cover everyone. I'd like to imagine people wouldn't troll a thread like this, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some were.

Why are people trying to tell audio quality on the crappiest common type of speaker?

And you shouldn't need to have heard the original. It's compressed audio. Like what?

Seriously people.

It's very obvious whenever there is voice so much that you should be able to tell no matter what, unfortunately the video in OP cut out most of the parts that had voice. For example, in the music during asylum demon fight it's very obvious how poor the sound is on switch. In every other effect it's also worse and stereo imaging is severely cut down overall as well so much that directions are not clear.

Yeah I will say the clip has...not a lot of sound to really show off the compression. Anything remotely complicated would show it off better.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I played the test and it was so jarring to me as someone who has lived and breathed Souls games since the start. The moment I pressed the first button on the main menu it sounded off, bothered me the whole time. I'm no crazy audio guy by any means but it was some 1997 Real Player 56k modem streaming version sounded crap.

Assumed it was just because of the test.... if that actually isn't the case wow they dun goofed. :|

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Having listened now to the new video in the OP the difference is pretty clear

Actually, you don't even need to listen to the original to compare, it sounds very poor during the Asylum Demon section.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Im starting to wonder if this entire port was a "get it done" job and don't expect much support from From to complete it.

I find it really hard to believe Virtuos has no idea this is an issue. I'd like to imagine they tried for a fix but knowing Namco they just want them to get it out the door, especially after the other remasters didn't do so hot.

I really hope that if Virtuos is handling the FFX and XII ports on Switch, we don't repeat these issues...
Did Virtuous handle FFIX? Cause FFIX had bad audio for ages on PC until it got fixed

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom

Are you joking? I use headphones included with my phone, and I have a 1080p TV. I'm part of the people who won't spend out the nose for the best audio/picture available. The fact of the matter is, most people don't care about the best picture or sound, and beyond that, most people won't notice a couple of dropped frames or poorer audio.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Are you joking? I use headphones included with my phone, and I have a 1080p TV. I'm part of the people who won't spend out the nose for the best audio/picture available. The fact of the matter is, most people don't care about the best picture or sound, and beyond that, most people won't notice a couple of dropped frames or poorer audio.
Who are you to say what "most people" value?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Are you saying most people out there don't think 1080p is enough? There's quite a lot of market research to show that the average consumer thinks just that. If you really think most game consumers sit around talking about framepacing, I don't know what to tell you, chief.
I thought this thread was about the crappy audio in Dark Souls. Why are you blathering on about 1080p TV's?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
If you're not going to read what I've said, stop stamping around looking for a fight. Take care.
Stamping around? I just don't understand the connection you're making between 1080p being the most common display for gamers and Dark Souls having crappy audio. Are you trying to say that because not everybody is an visual/audiophile, this is somehow acceptable? I mean do you have any receipts that prove that majority of gamers are using low end audio gear?

I don't know about you but I can tell this audio quality is terrible using both mid-range headphones and my crappy $15 PC speakers. Just how low are we setting the bar here?

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Erm, I think you've misread a few posts. And using phone headphones for gaming is not a proud boast. You weren't kidding about not spending.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The audio files in the NT were all 16 kHz and often like half the size compared to the other versions
Why they felt the need to compress them that much is beyond me. Maybe it was a mistake Lol

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Ah that's a shame, it was really noticeable in the network test. I will have to skip this one then, I was already on the fence about it honestly.