SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Ah that's a shame, it was really noticeable in the network test. I will have to skip this one then, I was already on the fence about it honestly.

Many of us are hoping for a day 1 patch which fixes the audio issues, but as this is a Bamco release I guess our hopes are low. If it's not immediately patched I'm sure they'll lose sales because of it.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Seriously, you entirely misunderstood my post, and seem to be spoiling for a fight.
I'm going to restate my point, and if you want to "fight" about it, that's on you.

I can hear the difference, but I also find it very hard to get too worked up about the audio because ultimately, most people won't care. I find the framepacing way more annoying, but I also accept that most people aren't as sensitive to that as I am. If this is "cancel preorder" worthy to you, so be it. But it isn't to me, and I think most people picking it up won't care about the framepacing or the audio, not nearly as much as people here do. The fact we're here, in an online form, talking about the low sample count, means that we're not representative of most consumers. If you think we are, that's on you. That's all I have to say, and I've no interest in "fighting" anyone. Disagree if you want to, that's what forums are for.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to restate my point, and if you want to "fight" about it, that's on you.

I can hear the difference, but I also find it very hard to get too worked up about the audio because ultimately, most people won't care. I find the framepacing way more annoying, but I also accept that most people aren't as sensitive to that as I am. If this is "cancel preorder" worthy to you, so be it. But it isn't to me, and I think most people picking it up won't care about the framepacing or the audio, not nearly as much as people here do. The fact we're here, in an online form, talking about the low sample count, means that we're not representative of most consumers. If you think we are, that's on you. That's all I have to say, and I've no interest in "fighting" anyone. Disagree if you want to, that's what forums are for.

You need to read the thread without your angry hat on. I was the one saying 1080p and £50 headphones are good.

Also, you accept one objective issue (framepacing) and reject another (noticeably low encoded audio). Frankly, your opinions are all over the place.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
You need to read the thread without your angry hat on. I was the one saying 1080p and £50 headphones are good.

Also, you accept one objective issue (framepacing) and reject another (noticeably low encoded audio). Frankly, your opinions are all over the place.
Try rereading what I said. Both the framepacing and the audio are issues that won't affect most people. This is literally the third time in this thread I've said that. At this point you're just reading what you want to read.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's engine level, I think. Basically the game can hold 30fps more or less all the time, but there's tiny stutters because of the engine's poor frame pacing. It's always been an issue on From's 30fps games, same with Bloodborne etc. It sucks but I'll get used to it after a while.
Ok, I was wondering if there was a demonstration of the issue.

I know BB has it, it jerks and stutters all the time. DS1 had so little stutter on PS4 I'd hoped that the Switch version would be similarly smooth but at 30

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. There are lot of old Panasonic/Pioneer 1080p plasmas that are superior TVs than half the 4K sets that are considered "good" these days. Similarly the right pair of 50 pound headphones can already sound 1000 times better than TV speakers.

I prefer the picture on mine to my pals £1300 2018 4k set...the 4k sharpness is nice, but plasma motion beats LCD / OLED motion for me, 4k or not.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay, my dude, let's just enjoy the game.

No, we must fight. To the death. Really though, I was agreeing with you..1080p sets are great for this gen and I use a (relatively cheap, probably only really worth 50-100) set of 2013 Astros for my headset. Admittedly with mixamp, which is great.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
No, we must fight. To the death. Really though, I was agreeing with you..1080p sets are great for this gen and I use a (relatively cheap, probably only really worth 50-100) set of 2013 Astros for my headset.
I have some nice £300 Sennheisers as home I use for development, but my walk about headphones are just some crappy ones included with my mate 10 pro. I usually play my switch on the go so I just use those (also I look a bit like a nob with massive studio cans on my head on the train). I mean I know they're shit, but I adjust easily. You're right though, I should probably look into something in-between. As for TVs I just have some old Sony plasma, not sure which - I've never been a big 4K person. As you say, can't beat that juicy plasma motion!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
While we're on the topic my Sennheisers are busted and £300 is right around the type of budget I have for a replacement, what are the ones you got Razor Mom

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I prefer the picture on mine to my pals £1300 2018 4k set...the 4k sharpness is nice, but plasma motion beats LCD / OLED motion for me, 4k or not.
This reflects my personal experiences as well. The motion on my Panasonic Plasma (ST60) was better than my OLED TV (B7). I didn't like playing on the plasma though because of the input lag. It's funny, no matter how much tech improves, there is still no perfect TV. There is always a compromise or trade-off somewhere.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if someone already said this, but there is a day one patch confirmed, although I don't know if it'll fix this.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think this is similar to when a game dips by like 3 frames and people then claim the game has "framerate issues".
This is a situation of people listening on their phones and thinking it's fine when it's not fine at all. Listen to anything that is a real speaker in a real play scenario (or headphones) and you will be able to tell the audio is not fine compared to other versions (especially when there is no legitimate reason it has to be this way)

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reflects my personal experiences as well. The motion on my Panasonic Plasma (ST60) was better than my OLED TV (B7). I didn't like playing on the plasma though because of the input lag. It's funny, no matter how much tech improves, there is still no perfect TV. There is always a compromise or trade-off somewhere.

I'm still on my ST50 50", the ST60 actually introduced lag to the S series, I remember at the time..the G60 was the one to get that year.

I have some nice £300 Sennheisers as home I use for development, but my walk about headphones are just some crappy ones included with my mate 10 pro. I usually play my switch on the go so I just use those (also I look a bit like a nob with massive studio cans on my head on the train). I mean I know they're shit, but I adjust easily. You're right though, I should probably look into something in-between. As for TVs I just have some old Sony plasma, not sure which - I've never been a big 4K person. As you say, can't beat that juicy plasma motion!

See im scared if I bought a 300 sennheiser set id not notice the difference over my astros. Like how sd to hd is wow, is the jump from astro to sennheiser as obvious?

Re plasmas again, I still have a kuro I'm looking to move on, north east UK.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still on my ST50 50", the ST60 actually introduced lag to the S series, I remember at the time..the G60 was the one to get that year.
I think the ST60 had something like 47ms in game mode. It wasn't unplayable by any means, but when you're used to quick refresh PC monitors, you become pretty sensitive to input lag. It's a shame really because the ST60 has beautiful picture quality. I ended up giving it to my Grandpa and he was over the moon coming off a crappy 32 inch TV.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah I was finally able to listen to it on a real speaker and there is definitely a noticable difference.

I'm not really an audiophile so it's not something that will bother me the slightest bit (I also play my Switch like 60% of the time with the sound off in bed when my wife is sleeping) but it sucks for those that are bothered by this. I really don't understand why this happened given what we know about file sizes. Hopefully a day 1 patch addresses this.

Honestly this port has been handled so bizarrely from day 1. I have so many questions about it.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've managed to take one of the best games ever made and turn it into one of the worst games ever made.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the ST60 had something like 47ms in game mode. It wasn't unplayable by any means, but when you're used to quick refresh PC monitors, you become pretty sensitive to input lag. It's a shame really because the ST60 has beautiful picture quality. I ended up giving it to my Grandpa and he was over the moon coming off a crappy 32 inch TV.

Man what a disgrace adding the lag that was..I had a 42" g10, then size wise went for the 50" st50, and tbh I'm still happy. Picked up a 42" v10 for 75 quid for my upstairs gaming room. Here I'll find a photo.

20181015-141031.jpg

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Okay yeah I was finally able to listen to it on a real speaker and there is definitely a noticable difference.

I'm not really an audiophile so it's not something that will bother me the slightest bit (I also play my Switch like 60% of the time with the sound off in bed when my wife is sleeping) but it sucks for those that are bothered by this. I really don't understand why this happened given what we know about file sizes. Hopefully a day 1 patch addresses this.

Honestly this port has been handled so bizarrely from day 1. I have so many questions about it.
You will die so much if you play DS with the sound off. Like right now, because you didn't turn around after hearing 3 guys tumbling towards you from behind. YOU DEFEATED

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a situation of people listening on their phones and thinking it's fine when it's not fine at all. Listen to anything that is a real speaker in a real play scenario (or headphones) and you will be able to tell the audio is not fine compared to other versions (especially when there is no legitimate reason it has to be this way)
For what it's worth, I watched the updated video in the OP in my phone and the audio compression is completely obvious, even on a cell phone.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
A Reddit user makes the following observation -

'Just checked out some music files ripped directly from the game. It's really bad. Like, 4-bit ADPCM at 16 Khz bad, so it's both severely lowpassed and noisy. This is a pretty similar codec to what Nintendo uses in their games but they typically have it at 32 Khz for GameCube - Wii U games and 44.1 or 48 for Switch.'

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...remastered_for_nintendo_switch_still/e7sz4ez/

WTF are the devs up to with this shit???

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But many Switch owners haven't, so ..........

Okay... and what does that exactly have to do with my personal situation in which I play the majority of my Switch games in bed next to a sleeping wife with the sound off?

I already said this sucks for those that care about it and will be affected by it. And it should definitely be fixed.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, it's like listening to sounds filtered through a can of nails while also being muffled.

Ya'll think people not hearing the difference is bad, input lag discussions on the internet kill me.

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Figured I would reach out here - is there any place that has a gameplay clip from another platform with this that I can cross compare audio quality of what other platforms are like for this to a clip that exists for Switch right now? I ask because I am including this story in a news round up video I am making for a Nintendo channel and myself, and many other Nintendo fans, have never played Dark Souls and it's good to actually SHOW what hte difference is, so folks are aware of how bad it really is. But it needs to be comparable sequences for the best comparison/

ANd yes, before you asked, I tried looking for myself but I can't even begin how to even look for specific areas since I don't know the games well enough.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Figured I would reach out here - is there any place that has a gameplay clip from another platform with this that I can cross compare audio quality of what other platforms are like for this to a clip that exists for Switch right now? I ask because I am including this story in a news round up video I am making for a Nintendo channel and myself, and many other Nintendo fans, have never played Dark Souls and it's good to actually SHOW what hte difference is, so folks are aware of how bad it really is. But it needs to be comparable sequences for the best comparison/

ANd yes, before you asked, I tried looking for myself but I can't even begin how to even look for specific areas since I don't know the games well enough.
have you even looked at the OP ...

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

The very first post of this thread will help.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Does this version have the missing ambient sounds like PS4 etc. versions as well? I'm assuming no since this was ported by someone else but am curious for future reference if I ever pick up a Switch.

As an example for those unaware:

That complete background silence here and in quite a few other spots throughout the game is meant to sound like this in the original game:

Last edited:

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes, I remember the missing ambient sounds being mentioned regarding the remastered versions. It seemed to, in some cases at least, be dependent on which direction your character was facing. Bamco never patched THAT either so the chances of a fix for the Switch issue are probably less than -10,000 (unless modders fix the awful sounds for those with hacked Switches).

I'm not aware of anyone mentioning the remastered ambient sound bug that you refer to (in the Switch version).

Last edited:

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Does this version have the missing ambient sounds like PS4 etc. versions as well? I'm assuming no since this was ported by someone else but am curious for future reference if I ever pick up a Switch.

As an example for those unaware:

That complete background silence here and in quite a few other spots throughout the game is meant to sound like this in the original game:

Interesting!

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ah yes, I remember the missing ambient sounds being mentioned regarding the remastered versions. It seemed to, in some cases at least, be dependent on which direction your character was facing. Bamco never patched THAT either so the chances of a fix for the Switch issue are probably less than -10,000 (unless modders fix the awful sounds for those with hacked Switches).

I'm not aware of anyone mentioning the remastered ambient sound bug that you refer to (in the Switch version).

I think for many players this would be considered a bit of a nitpick but well, I basically play with headphones 90% of the time for years and years now and one of the things that majorly contributes to the Souls and Bloodborne series' overall atmosphere is the ambient sound design. To my ears, this 'bug', or whatever it may be, sticks out like a sore thumb and combined with the revised lighting made the Remaster a no-buy for me.

I just thought potential Switch buyers should be aware of it should they care and since we have a sound-specific thread here...

I think whatever the issue is was probably introduced by some mistake on that specific version's dev's end so I would assume that it doesn't exist in this version. It'd be cool if someone here could check into that who may already be playing.

Edit: It wouldn't have been a big issue for me if it would be contained to maybe one area but sadly I've seen this issue pop up in several areas when I decided to rather casually check some YouTube videos with little effort.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I think for many players this would be considered a bit of a nitpick but well, I basically play with headphones 90% of the time for years and years now and one of the things that majorly contributes to the Souls and Bloodborne series' overall atmosphere is the ambient sound design. To my ears, this 'bug', or whatever it may be, sticks out like a sore thumb and combined with the revised lighting made the Remaster a no-buy for me.

I just thought potential Switch buyers should be aware of it should they care and since we have a sound-specific thread here...

I think whatever the issue is was probably introduced by some mistake on that specific version's dev's end so I would assume that it doesn't exist in this version. It'd be cool if someone here could check into that who may already be playing.

Edit: It wouldn't have been a big issue for me if it would be contained to maybe one area but sadly I've seen this issue pop up in several areas when I decided to rather casually check some YouTube videos with little effort.

That's not a nitpick at all, it's a respect for the game and wanting the atmosphere to be spot on as intended.

Dec 6, 2017
US
That's not a nitpick at all, it's a respect for the game and wanting the atmosphere to be spot on as intended.

That is my interpretation as well, yes haha...

It is in essence its music, the game was never silent per se, there is always some form of ambiance in the form of wind, that omnipresent breathing sound (which is also missing here), the 'crackling' magma type sound in Demon Ruins and so forth. It's actually hair-raising that this was never patched as I assume it can't be an overly complex issue.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Sadly, this will be a no-buy for me. Wasn't convinced with the network test and the final version seems to have the same problems. The delay didn't help either.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
That is my interpretation as well, yes haha...

It is in essence its music, the game was never silent per se, there is always some form of ambiance in the form of wind, that omnipresent breathing sound (which is also missing here), the 'crackling' magma type sound in Demon Ruins and so forth. It's actually hair-raising that this was never patched as I assume it can't be an overly complex issue.

Quite, but I honestly think that Bamco don't give a flying fuck. It's about time people voted with their wallets.