• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
She doesn't want to meet up with you and is talking to other dudes keeping her options open, Just say sure, ignore her and see if she reaches back out to you, if not forget about her.

If she really wanted to meet you she would make time
Yeah, it seems like a laundry list of excuses. I proposed next sat, as she should she usually has sats off only, but she said she might have to work that day. This week, she has her parents moving in with her, so she has to do lots of cleaning/prep. .-.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Alright DatingEra, help me decipher this.

Been talking to this girl, she seems pretty eager, actually taking all the imitative, from offering her number to asking me out for the coffee date. Now we've come down to trying to nail a day, but she seems legitimately busy. She does keep saying things like we'll figure it out, but also saying let's keep in touch too. I told her Id hit up her again next week and see how her schedule is and shes all "Okie dokie". Seems like shes interested? Or just playing games/not interested and should I move on.

Does she often try to give you a clear date and time and stuff comes up? Or are you proposing stuff and she goes "Oh actually I'm busy?"

Either way she could be being nice but since she gave you her details I'd say she's just actually busy.

If you start to get tired of it, give her a date time and place and have her give you an alternative if she says that won't work.

If she's not clear and committed to even the first date then eh.

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, it seems like a laundry list of excuses. I proposed next sat, as she should she usually has sats off only, but she said she might have to work that day. This week, she has her parents moving in with her, so she has to do lots of cleaning/prep. .-.
I feel like "I have something happening/coming up that I need to clean/pack/move things for" is the most basic excuse. Like I don't think people lie about having to do those things but I definitely feel like they stretch the truth on how much time in their day/days they need to dedicate to it.

A first date, especially a coffee date should not be that complicated to set up. Like you just pick a time and place that both work for you - you don't need to clear an entire day just to have a short coffee date. It makes me think she's not really all that excited about actually having that date because she's dragging this out. Since you proposed Saturday, I would wait until Friday to ask if she is still good for Saturday. If she says she has to work or if she's still saying she doesn't know yet, just tell her to let you know when she is free to meet up. After that just stop communication with her unless she comes back at you proposing a time.

If she's not clear and committed to even the first date then eh.
This.

There's a chance she's actually busy and you'll get that date eventually but I would bet that this is a tendency or pattern for her that you would likely see if you kept dating her. I dated a girl like that for a couple months and it was like that every time I tried to set up a date with her.

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I feel like "I have something happening/coming up that I need to clean/pack/move things for" is the most basic excuse. Like I don't think people lie about having to do those things but I definitely feel like they stretch the truth on how much time in their day/days they need to dedicate to it.

A first date, especially a coffee date should not be that complicated to set up. Like you just pick a time and place that both work for you - you don't need to clear an entire day just to have a short coffee date. It makes me think she's not really all that excited about actually having that date because she's dragging this out. Since you proposed Saturday, I would wait until Friday to ask if she is still good for Saturday. If she says she has to work or if she's still saying she doesn't know yet, just tell her to let you know when she is free to meet up. After that just stop communication with her unless she comes back at you proposing a time.
I don't think you're off about the stretching bit. One of her prior replies was something along the lines of "I have no life basically, thats why she's on the dating app. " in regards to only having saturdays off. But it sounds like to be she just hasn't been willing to carve out the time for it. Anyway yeah, I'll check in with her next week then drop the "ultimatum" and move on otherwise.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you're off about the stretching bit. One of her prior replies was something along the lines of "I have no life basically, thats why she's on the dating app. " in regards to only having saturdays off. But it sounds like to be she just hasn't been willing to carve out the time for it. Anyway yeah, I'll check in with her next week then drop the "ultimatum" and move on otherwise.

You don't even need an ultimatum lol. Think of it this way

If you really fucking liked someone and wanted to be with them right ? like REALLY liked them, you would go out of your damn way to be free for them, sometimes your life is really busy, but if you honest to god had a girl you liked alot, cutting out an hour of your day shouldn't be impossible, and if it is then how will you have time for someone if your in a relationship ???

Time is valuable, dont waste it on people that aren't interested, move on.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Only reason Im hanging around at this point is that shes actually an old high school classmate. But of course, it's been so long detached we're both different people at this point. Would have been fun to catch up and see where things go from there. Shes the one that initiated all this too. Messaging me first as well. Call me a fool right now until next week.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
kyorii Granted that she's given you her number (unless whatever app you were talking on was a bit clunky) it shows she's definitely got more than a passing interest at the time. If all these delays in terms of getting a date sorted are in the span of a week then it's likely that she's just busy. If she's doing it for every possible weekly suggestion move on. There's also the possibility that she was genuinely interested at the start and then it faded or someone else came in to the picture but I'd think it's the former (unless your gut tells you otherwise). Either way give her a possible choice of a date that works for you, if not throw the ball in her court and ask her to give a possible date and cease communications, if she's clearly interested she'll respond, else it's done.

Though based on your most recent response, it is possible that like she likes the attention, likes talking, etc but can't really go the distance either due to apathy, laziness, or something else and so it doesn't really go beyond endless banter.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Well, its kinda like was endless banter on my end when I've been still trying to figure out if we're compatible, but shes the one putting a stop to that and threw out the invite. She messaged me first, she offered her number first, and then suggested coffee sometime. It all moved pretty quickly TBH. Shes also been apologetic for replying late as well.

Nov 17, 2017
Well, its kinda like was endless banter on my end when I've been still trying to figure out if we're compatible, but shes the one putting a stop to that and threw out the invite. She messaged me first, she offered her number first, and then suggested coffee sometime. It all moved pretty quickly TBH. Shes also been apologetic for replying late as well.
That's tough to read. I remember I matched with a girl once and it was a similar thing except we set up the date pretty quickly. It's just that she never showed up to it lol.

I guess the thing is you can't really know if she's interested and just busy or if she's giving you excuses and just wants a text buddy. That's why telling her to get back to you with a time she's free and then essentially ghosting until she does is the best strategy.

Feb 16, 2018
Hey Era, been dating this girl for about a year and I'm just not sure I love her that much anymore. She's pretty clingy and needs lots of attention and honestly it's overwhelming, I'm pretty independent and like more time to myself. We live in an apartment together so it's not always easy to get a break from each other outside of work. She's a sweet person who treats me well but I'm not sure I'm feeling it anymore. Any advice?

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth

I save the endless banter for the date. That's what the date is for.

With the way everything went down, a good response would've been..."when you figure out your schedule, get in touch, and we'll plan something then." And let it go.

Also, my goto setting up a date when meeting via online is....

"What nights are good for you?" And you wait as she comes back with options.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era, been dating this girl for about a year and I'm just not sure I love her that much anymore. She's pretty clingy and needs lots of attention and honestly it's overwhelming, I'm pretty independent and like more time to myself. We live in an apartment together so it's not always easy to get a break from each other outside of work. She's a sweet person who treats me well but I'm not sure I'm feeling it anymore. Any advice?

Clingy and need for attention is very vague. Is that the real reason?

Feb 16, 2018
Clingy and need for attention is very vague. Is that the real reason?
Well I know my attraction for her isn't what it used to be. And yeah it gets to the point where it can be kind of annoying. I wish it was easy to explain, she's very kind and treats me well, however there are so many moments where I just crave a break from her.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I know my attraction for her isn't what it used to be. And yeah it gets to the point where it can be kind of annoying. I wish it was easy to explain, she's very kind and treats me well, however there are so many moments where I just crave a break from her.

After a year thats not a good sign, I have been there and it meant for me we were just not a good match.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
You have been "fatfished" my friend. Happens to all of us. .If someone's profile is nothing but cute above the shoulder pics you can 100% guarantee there is a reason why the rest of the body isn't shown Same thing with pics snap filtered to death. That's an immediate swipe left for me no matter how hot her filtered pics look.

In this case he has.

This is definitely not 100% as I've seen it all. Some come to mind where I had rejected/delayed the women because I was thinking they're probably large only to find out they had gorgeous bodies. I did set up a dates with a couple of them and asked why they had only head shots. Both women's reason? They didn't want to show their body off because they didn't want to attract attention to it.

Pro tip here: Look to see how define the collarbone is

Feb 16, 2018
After a year thats not a good sign, I have been there and it meant for me we were just not a good match.
Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking, our apartment lease isn't up for awhile so just breaking up right now might complicate things a bit but regardless I still think I need to tell her how I feel and try to figure something out.

Nov 17, 2017
When did you start living together? That's a big commitment for so early on in a relationship and it probably didn't let things develop organically as it forced you together almost 24/7. So I'm not surprised that you've quickly burned through those feelings you had.

On top of that, it sounds like you're the exact opposite when it comes to how much time and attention you want to give and get in return. I feel like for long term relationships, that aspect really needs to match or at least be close. Otherwise, either you'll feel smothered or she will feel neglected. And that can lead to you resenting each other.

Obviously I don't know your entire relationship so tell me if I'm way off base but to me you two don't sound compatible for a long term relationship. My advice would be first to tell her exactly how you feel. If you really want to give it another chance to see if your feelings change, you can suggest spending more time apart. Not a "break" but just like doing your own things on some days instead of doing everything together. Though in my opinion, that wouldn't be a good idea and pretty hard to do since you're already living together. I think it's probably the healthiest option to break up even if it will hurt her now. It will be better than dragging it out when you're really not in it 100%.

Oct 30, 2017

Talk to her, tell her how you feel.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
kyorii Don't do endless banter on text. Keep the top bantz for an in person thing. Given that she's put a stop to it. It does seem like she wants to meet up when she's got the time. I suppose in her case granted you guys go way back and have reconnected there's no reason to rush to meet. I'm inclined to believe she's busy in this scenario and when she's got the time she'll meet you. But don't message too much and let her initiate more else you'll be seen as wanting and since she's put in effort until she's put the effort to meet as well, don't put too much effort into it.

PancakeBurglar If you're not as attracted to her after a year - that's never a good sign. But before you ditch and bail outside of the clinginess was there any other factor that influenced your slow lack of attraction for the person. Breaking up now can complicate things but lying to yourself and continuing a farce is worse. Have a conversation, air your issues, don't finger-point and play blame-games. Just talk and see if there's something to work and salvage here. Have a conversation about your needs, especially your needs for me time and personal space - these things are vital in a relationship and most people just forego this at the early stage of a relationship only for it to become a problem later. It's always best to communicate it as soon as you can because everyone is different w.r.t this. Also a person being nice and treating you well shouldn't be the only reason you should want to stay with them, it should be a reciprocal thing and there has to be some degree of attraction.

Feb 16, 2018
When did you start living together? That's a big commitment for so early on in a relationship and it probably didn't let things develop organically as it forced you together almost 24/7. So I'm not surprised that you've quickly burned through those feelings you had.

On top of that, it sounds like you're the exact opposite when it comes to how much time and attention you want to give and get in return. I feel like for long term relationships, that aspect really needs to match or at least be close. Otherwise, either you'll feel smothered or she will feel neglected. And that can lead to you resenting each other.

Obviously I don't know your entire relationship so tell me if I'm way off base but to me you two don't sound compatible for a long term relationship. My advice would be first to tell her exactly how you feel. If you really want to give it another chance to see if your feelings change, you can suggest spending more time apart. Not a "break" but just like doing your own things on some days instead of doing everything together. Though in my opinion, that wouldn't be a good idea and pretty hard to do since you're already living together. I think it's probably the healthiest option to break up even if it will hurt her now. It will be better than dragging it out when you're really not in it 100%.
I think you are pretty spot on for much of it. We moved in back in April so only a few months, and yeah we are very different when it comes to attention. And yeah I plan on talking to her about this once I get home from work. I'm not going to bullshit her I'm going to be straightforward but also respectful and try to work out something that makes sense.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
RE: "fatfish": I matched up with a woman who had 1 pic on Bumble on two weeks ago. I eventually asked why she only one pic because I jokingly stated that I wanted to make sure she wasn't an axe murderer. She stated that she wasn't comfortable with taking pictures of herself. The pictures she sent me looked solid.

Long story short: we arranged to meet up and I showed up to a bar of her choosing roughly an hour away from me. Suddenly I get a text an apologetic text stating that she felt nervous and uncomfortable, get unmatched, and ended up having two drinks alone before I eventually called it a night. The moral of the story: some women have self-esteem issues and/or bigger issues beyond dating. I'm still wary about liking/swiping right to women who only have one picture or close up shots only and if they have their Instagram accounts linked, I look at pictures there.

Today's date has been postponed. The woman I've been speaking to is taking an AI programming class and it moved up today. We tentatively rescheduled for Sunday but she said would let me know by Saturday night if she can make it. Otherwise, after the 23rd.

I also texted an entrepreneur last night since she said she might be free this weekend but I haven't heard back from her yet. I'll chalk it up to her being busy. Otherwise, I'll message her via Bumble telling her that I texted her last night if I don't hear anything back in a few hours.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the major dating website here I only saw one girl that interested me and sent her a message. Im probably doing online dating wrong :>

OP
OP
Salamando

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
On the major dating website here I only saw one girl that interested me and sent her a message. Im probably doing online dating wrong :>
Sounds like it. How many profiles did you look at? What was it about that singular one that was so interesting?

Online dating's a numbers game. You WILL FAIL if you message one girl at a time.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it. How many profiles did you look at? What was it about that singular one that was so interesting?

Online dating's a numbers game. You WILL FAIL if you message one girl at a time.

Hundreds, this girl stands out because she just looks beautiful and special to me. I didnt have that with any others, but Ill keep going! And maybe Im lucky and am I the type of this one girl hah.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Hundreds, this girl stands out because she just looks beautiful and special to me. I didnt have that with any others, but Ill keep going! And maybe Im lucky and am I the type of this one girl hah.

More people are on the swipe apps

Bumble, Tinder, Coffee meets Bagel

There's plenty of fish and okcupid for website dating. Match, eharmony, etc are pay

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
You shouldn't be using outdated pictures because that's not an accurate representation of what you currently look like.

I don't think it's that glaring a difference, but maybe y'all can be the judge.

Oldest picture from fall 2016:
12506830164190317629.webp

Newest picture from a few months ago:

11086734108013920028.webp

For the record, I do use the newer ones first. God it's depressing seeing the weight I've gained after losing so much.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth

For the record, I do use the newer ones first. God it's depressing seeing the weight I've gained after losing so much.

I definitely do see a difference.

You can get back to it.

Check out the keto thread and the fitness thread on here

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

meh. You could just be a convenient rebound or something.

if she keeps trying to fix the missed dates then you can keep making plans

but honestly i'd just put the ball in her court, and if she never makes a play then just forget her. She sounds flighty anyway, not worth your attention.

RE: "fatfish": I matched up with a woman who had 1 pic on Bumble on two weeks ago. I eventually asked why she only one pic because I jokingly stated that I wanted to make sure she wasn't an axe murderer. She stated that she wasn't comfortable with taking pictures of herself. The pictures she sent me looked solid.

Long story short: we arranged to meet up and I showed up to a bar of her choosing roughly an hour away from me. Suddenly I get a text an apologetic text stating that she felt nervous and uncomfortable, get unmatched, and ended up having two drinks alone before I eventually called it a night. The moral of the story: some women have self-esteem issues and/or bigger issues beyond dating. I'm still wary about liking/swiping right to women who only have one picture or close up shots only and if they have their Instagram accounts linked, I look at pictures there.

Today's date has been postponed. The woman I've been speaking to is taking an AI programming class and it moved up today. We tentatively rescheduled for Sunday but she said would let me know by Saturday night if she can make it. Otherwise, after the 23rd.

I also texted an entrepreneur last night since she said she might be free this weekend but I haven't heard back from her yet. I'll chalk it up to her being busy. Otherwise, I'll message her via Bumble telling her that I texted her last night if I don't hear anything back in a few hours.

Ouch.

Yeah, it only took one fatfish for me to level up my radar. It's pretty easy to see it coming -- the selection of picture angles, flattening color filters, ect usually tell the story. Generally when people are trying to look attractive they aren't so secretive of their bodies.

As for the other ones:

AI programming chick sounds like a high flake probability

entrepreneur girl, you should just set a definite date and time and see what she says.

and there's really no reason to text her again -- 99.8% chance she already read your message

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

You need to do something with your hair. Anything. Longer and styling it would make a world of difference. Neck beard has to go aswell.

If you did that and got in better shape you'd be well off.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
You need to do something with your hair. Anything. Longer and styling it would make a world of difference. Neck beard has to go aswell.

If you did that and got in better shape you'd be well off.

I definitely do see a difference.

You can get back to it.

Check out the keto thread and the fitness thread on here

I do typically style my hair these days when I go out or perform, just don't have any pics highlighting it because pictures of myself bum me out. I do need to do a better job of maintaining my beard and keeping it trimmed, as well as lose weight. It's just hard to maintain dietary discipline working a shitty and tiring retail job constantly surrounded by fast food.

Oct 25, 2017
China
I've had this many times, same situation from the start of your story. She just wants a texting buddy but floats the date idea to keep you interested and attentive.
I solved this situation with the creation of my 2 strikes rule. Ask for a date once and get an excuse she's busy, benifit of the doubt. Ask again and she's busy without her offering an altetnative and she's out blocked/deleted and I moved on.
Occasionaly I'd give one more chance but that NEVER resulted in a date proving the two strike rule worked.

Oct 27, 2017

That seems like a really bad idea. She knows you texted, go occupy your time instead of worrying about it.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Coolwhip There's bound to be more than one person you're interested in, but if the pickings are that slim on that platform then not worth continuing there. You need to message more than one person statistically to get a response and more responses to get progress and more progress to get to a relationship.

justjim89 I can see the difference but it's not something you can't get back to. There's also the factor that the first one is taken in a well-lit area with a contrast between you and your background and the second one there isn't as much which means people will imagine you looking more like in the first picture than the second. Find a way to motivate yourself, it's hard but habits form after a few weeks of repetition, work on those good habits!

Jo-awn You texted last night. She probably knows you've texted. She's busy. Don't text tonight (actually it's not generally advisable to text late at night unless you've actually developed a strong rapport or been out on a date. It builds ; 'too interested' or 'needy' vibe that puts you on the backburner). Leave it for Friday afternoon if you really want to text her or do it next week. No response, then? Bail.

Feb 16, 2018
Alright, I talked to my girlfriend and decided to break up. It's tough but for the best, she's going to look for a new place to live. Lots of feelings spiraling around my head right now. Part of me feels like I did the wrong thing the other says I did the right thing. I think I just need to let things settle a bit.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I talked to my girlfriend and decided to break up. It's tough but for the best, she's going to look for a new place to live. Lots of feelings spiraling around my head right now. Part of me feels like I did the wrong thing the other says I did the right thing. I think I just need to let things settle a bit.

I feel for you both, shame it ended but sometimes its better.

Oct 29, 2017
The best thing for first dates is NOT mini-golf, I've never had a good mini golf date, and I've tried lots of them lol, You normally want to stick to a local coffee house/dessert place and chill there for an hour or 2 to see if you like the person, any place with loud music is a no go.
Can you explain why the were bad, I really do not want to screw this up.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017

Recommend giving her and yourself some time to emotionally sober up, forcing any interactions with clouded judgment can get nasty. Hope it works out

Oct 25, 2017
China
Its for the best. Wait a while until your head is right before dating again.

OP
OP
Salamando

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
Even kidding, I don't like the wordage here. "special", "unicorn", those are words you should reserve for people you've been dating for a while. Relax your internal filters. One out of hundreds(!) is no way to play the game. You don't need "special" and "beautiful" at this stage, only "I'm attracted and there's no major red flags".
Can you explain why the were bad, I really do not want to screw this up.
The goal of the first date is to get to know each other. Coffeehouses and dessert places allow you to talk without distraction. Minigolf, while fun, lends itself better to dates where you're comfortable enough to tease each other and touch/hold each other.

Oct 29, 2017
Even kidding, I don't like the wordage here. "special", "unicorn", those are words you should reserve for people you've been dating for a while. Relax your internal filters. One out of hundreds(!) is no way to play the game. You don't need "special" and "beautiful" at this stage, only "I'm attracted and there's no major red flags".

The goal of the first date is to get to know each other. Coffeehouses and dessert places allow you to talk without distraction. Minigolf, while fun, lends itself better to dates where you're comfortable enough to tease each other and touch/hold each other.
Ok, but ive alrady had a couple of times when ive just sat down and talk with her without distraction for like an hour each time, is that enough to move onto teaseing/touching. I do not want to rush her but i feel like I already have a general sense of who she is. I have adhd so I dont want to seem bored of her b checking my phone or zoning out.

OP
OP
Salamando

Salamando

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but ive alrady had a couple of times when ive just sat down and talk with her without distraction for like an hour each time, is that enough to move onto teaseing/touching. I do not want to rush her but i feel like I already have a general sense of who she is. I have adhd so I dont want to seem bored of her b checking my phone or zoning out.
If you have to ask if it's "enough to move onto teasing/touching", it isn't. That's what the first date is for...enter into it with a new mindset, with new goals, and explore the chemistry between you two. The topics you discuss will be different, how you discuss the topics will be different.