• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I was very unhappy to see this transphobic shit atop my Netflix app's recs last night. Disgusting.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Been thinking about this a lot today and man, this sucks. Like goddamn I hate that it's him. He has so many influential folks in his circle who will never call him out on this shit, certainly not publicly. Not one person needed this shit right now.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I could avoid this since I don't have Netflix, but the guys who spend all day hanging out in front of the building across the street have starting blasting Chappelle's special and now it's on this transphobic shit, and they're laughing their ass off. I'm probably going to have to leave the fan on for a while to drown it out.

Oct 26, 2017
If you want/need something to wash your mind of this bigoted nonsense by Chappelle, I would highly recommend you go watch both Hannah Gadsby specials immediately.

They're both also on Netflix.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Dave. Used to enjoy his stuff but guess he's gotten so big and full of himself the only direction he wants to punch is down. e_e Glad I haven't given a single look to his Netflix stuff.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
One or two days ago he premiered a new movie about his summer festivals in Ohio last year, at a special sold out performance at the Hollywood bowl, and a bunch of celebrities joined him on stage and applauded him including Snoop Dogg, Stevie Wonder, Lizzo, Jon Hamm, and many more.

So no, not really to answer your question.

To lose respect for both Louie and Dave because of their pride, toxicity and stupidity is truly tragic.

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Netflix would say shit about him, but they won't. Don't want to scare off their cash cow, but he'd just run off to HBO or somewhere and do a special there.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This keeps coming back around in my head. I hate this shit so much. It's really getting to me, especially how he refuses to acknowledge he's hurting people and plays the victim himself.

Fuck Dave Chappelle.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching it right now, main issue I have about it is that it was not that funny. A chuckle here and there but really below what he is able to do.

He tried to be clever about it but... yeah he sounds out of touch with reality. And for someone who said he doesn't care that he lost 50 million from the Comedy central thing he can't stop flexing that he is rich.

He still makes good points for the black community, but he is clearly out of his depht when it comes to trans issues. It's a hard concept to grasp since we are teached since young that we are either male or female, it's one of that stuff that is kinda teached like how the earth is round. He is clearly wrong in this one.

Shame, really.

May 14, 2021
I'm watching it right now, main issue I have about it is that it was not that funny. A chuckle here and there but really below what he is able to do.

He tried to be clever about it but... yeah he sounds out of touch with reality. And for someone who said he doesn't care that he lost 50 million from the Comedy central thing he can't stop flexing that he is rich.

He still makes good points for the black community, but he is clearly out of his depht when it comes to trans issues. It's a hard concept to grasp since we are teached since young that we are either male or female, it's one of that stuff that is kinda teached like how the earth is round. He is clearly wrong in this one.

Shame, really.
The biggest shame of it to me was he said his overarching reason for all the shit he spewed was because he had a problem with white people. Look at all the events he could have drawn from since his last special to illustrate the stupidity, hypocrisy, and evilness of many whites. Covid, vaccines, Jan 6th, George Floyd and the reaction to it, Qanon etc etc. But instead he focused on the LGBTQ community because they dared to criticize him. Imagine being so stupid that you think the best way to go after whites is to attack trans people.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest shame of it to me was he said his overarching reason for all the shit he spewed was because he had a problem with white people. Look at all the events he could have drawn from since his last special to illustrate the stupidity, hypocrisy, and evilness of many whites. Covid, vaccines, Jan 6th, George Floyd and the reaction to it, Qanon etc etc. But instead he focused on the LGBTQ community because they dared to criticize him. Imagine being so stupid that you think the best way to go after whites is to attack trans people.
Yeah it sucks he keeps playing the victim card when he got rich and succesful in the system. He says the trans community is punching down on him, when that is not really the case.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
The special had some awkward edits in a few places but they covered it up with some skillful audio editing. Wonder if they had to cut some of the more offensive lines to quell the reaction as they knew people were going to be up in arms over the content.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Fuck Dave. Used to enjoy his stuff but guess he's gotten so big and full of himself the only direction he wants to punch is down. e_e Glad I haven't given a single look to his Netflix stuff.
Yeah, after his 'break' he came back a bitter, cynical, out of touch asshole who focuses more on being shitty to other humans than pretending to even try to be funny anymore, and has been repeatedly rewarded for it by Netflix and others. If you go back and watch some of his old stuff, it wasn't like this. He was genuinely funny.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Has any other comedian even called him out yet? Has anyone...?

Random comments? Sure. Articles? Yes.
But no fellow celebrities, as of yet... His BS message about cancel culture is resonating with them, it seems... No one is speaking out.

One or two days ago he premiered a new movie about his summer festivals in Ohio last year, at a special sold out performance at the Hollywood bowl, and a bunch of celebrities joined him on stage and applauded him including Snoop Dogg, Stevie Wonder, Lizzo, Jon Hamm, and many more.

So no, not really to answer your question.

Let's be real, Dave's ego is sky high. Dude has a fat fucking bag from Netflix and did all the specials he was contracted to do with Netflix. Hence his, "this will be me last special for a while" dude is probably gonna disappear and when he comes back streaming services are gonna be bidding for him again. Most likely Netflix unless enough of an uproar can stop that.

He has a podcast and completed that, and now he put this special out as a fuck you for people challenging him and telling him he's wrong.

He's buddy buddy with so many powerful people in entertainment all while no longer being beholden or obligated to any major network. This is a fat middle finger to the people he's hurt and it's exactly why i loathe hate celebrity culture. It's just a giant click of rich famous people backing up each other. Only way i see this changing is if enough people cancel their Netflix and i don't see that happening. Maybe if enough big names spoke up but i don't see that happening either. The trans woman that was a writer on Dear White People won't be enough.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly at this point it might be accurate to say he came out as a feminist

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I hate about this whole controversy is how many people clamor to stress how "not offended" they are before going "the jokes weren't funny and went too far". The guy can point-blank say that he's bigoted but folk still feel the need to add a disclaimer, its so wack lol

Oct 27, 2017
Do what I did - Downvote. It's the only thing you can do, besides unsubscribing.
I did.

I am using my ex's account so I don't give Netflix money, which is a mild comfort.
This is what i did. He's disgusting and disappointed Netflix even supports him.
If you are referring to thumbs up/thumbs down thing, it is not actually a voting system that Netflix monitors for quality or feedback, it just determines your recommended content.

Unsubscribing and telling them why would be the only thing that would actually communicate feedback.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
If you watched any the prior specials this isn't surprising
And even among progressive and feminists , terf leanings aren't a minority (speaking anecdotally)
Expecting famous people or peers to condemn is a pipe dream , good majority like him and/or agree with him

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, the Netflix co-CEO pretty much says that in the internal e-mail.

Translated: It makes us money, fuck you.
Nobody finds "the art of standup" to be mean spirited. This particular standup is the issue.

It's maddening because a genius like Chappelle could joke about a million other topics and tear the house down every time. It's intentional cruelty at this point.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Nobody finds "the art of standup" to be mean spirited. This particular standup is the issue.

It's maddening because a genius like Chappelle could joke about a million other topics and tear the house down every time. It's intentional cruelty at this point.

Could he tho? Genius tho.....?

I'm tired of awarding cis straight men just for showing up. If the "I'm Rick James Bitch!" guy is such a genius who could do so much, he's had plenty of time to show it.

This is his crutch at this point, Because Dave Chapelle, if nothing else, has always been attracted to low hanging fruit.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Could he tho? Genius tho.....?

I'm tired of awarding cis straight men just for showing up. If the "I'm Rick James Bitch!" guy is such a genius who could do so much, he's had plenty of time to show it.

This is his crutch at this point, Because Dave Chapelle, if nothing else, has always been attracted to low hanging fruit.
I didn't mean to sound complimentary to the point of overshadowing his hateful bullshit. I'm sorry.