• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere in the article does Chappelle mention the n-word, much less compares it to the term TERF. He talks blithely and ignorantly about his protestors, which is worthy of condemnation on its own without callously weaponizing anti-Black racism as clickbait.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My manager was talking about how she and her boyfriend was going to see his standup with Chris Rock for her birthday over a group Teams chat and I just.... I unfortunately stayed quiet. Because what do I say? She's black, so is it my position for my cis-white-ass to try to speak up about it and tell a black fan to not go see a black comedian? Our black colleagues in our team were gushing about how much fun she'll have too.

Feel like if I said something I'd play right into what was mentioned earlier in this thread: with Chappelle having stated trans people are only white people trying to paint themselves as minorities.....

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere in the article does Chappelle mention the n-word, much less compares it to the term TERF. He talks blithely and ignorantly about his protestors, which is worthy of condemnation on its own without callously weaponizing anti-Black racism as clickbait.
The part where he claims "transphobe = 'n-word'" is in post #7. They edited it out of the article after it went live.

www.resetera.com

Dave Chappelle Confronts Anti-Trans Backlash

So it was people from all walks of life...calling you the n-word. Got it. Makes total sense.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck did Variety remove that from their article?

EDIT: And why exactly was OP banned for making this thread? The original thread title prior to it being changed was correct unless I'm missing something, I'm confused.

Oct 26, 2017

EDIT: And why exactly was OP banned for making this thread? The original thread title prior to it being changed was correct unless I'm missing something, I'm confused.
It seems moderation read the article after Variety's edit. Which yeah---confusing as fuck why they edited. Now I'm going to listen to this shitty podcast ep to hear what was said.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL

It's an understandable mistake that I'm sure will be fixed now that people have pointed out that the article was edited after the OP posted it.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thread is a mess now because of Variety editing out part of the article after publishing it.

The article originally included this bit:

"These were grown people of various genders and gender identities," Chappelle said. "They threw eggs. They threw eggs at the [fans] who were lined up to see the show… They was doing all that shit. Throwing eggs and they had this rallying cry: they go, 'Go home transphobe.' They kept saying that: 'Go home, transphobe,' and 'fuck you, transphobe.' It was really confusing, but if you replace the word transphobe for n—– it makes perfect sense."
This thread's original title referenced that last line. However, after the thread was made, Variety updated the article and removed that portion. But because the thread title referenced it, it looked like OP was spreading misinformation (which they weren't), which they seemingly got banned for, and which caused the thread title to be changed.

Nepenthe, y'all may want to have a second look at this situation.

Anyway, to be more on topic: as usual, fuck Dave Chappelle, and seemingly, fuck Variety.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
It was discussed a bit on the previous page, but apparently Variety stealth edited the article after the OP posted the thread here.

heres a post from the previous page with a link to the quote Variety had on the page.
If it helps a bit, here's an article that had the original text before Vanity edited it.

they go: 'Go home transphobe.' They kept saying that, 'Go home, transphobe,' and 'fuck you, transphobe.' It was really confusing, but if you replace the word transphobe for n—– it makes perfect sense."

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
wild, the article does not mention that it was edited. Isn't it Best Practice to mention any edit in an article after it has been published?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
wild, the article does not mention that it was edited. Isn't it Best Practice to mention any edit in an article after it has been published?
It is. They also deleted their tweet for the article. I found people who seemingly replied to it, but the tweet is gone.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
lol how stupid is the variety writer to think that such a comparison would go over well?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is. They also deleted their tweet for the article. I found people who seemingly replied to it, but the tweet is gone.
absolutely wild. Are they trying to run interference for him? Like what is the purpose of editing out that part of the paragraph if only to try to make Chapelle look better? What am I missing?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The stealth edit to the article has been duly noted and added to the OP. Just as well, the ban has been stricken from the record.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
absolutely wild. Are they trying to run interference for him? Like what is the purpose of editing out that part of the paragraph if only to try to make Chapelle look better? What am I missing?

I'm 99% positive I've heard him being attributed as saying this before, too. It was discussed in another thread re: Chapelle. The change is definitely perplexing as to motive or reason.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
maybe someone should download the podcast now to archive it lest it also gets edited lol. Put that shit on youtube for archival purposes.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I tweeted at their news director, whose tweet is still up (and was retweeted by Variety), asking for an explanation. Hopefully they say something.

I'm pissed that they would quietly remove this asshole's words just to seemingly make him look like less of a complete fucking moron, on top of it being pretty bad practice for a fucking news publication.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Um, why were mods banning anyway before getting a chance to clarify the situation? Even if you couldn't see proof in the article (and it absolutely was there, I saw it myself earlier), the article isn't a primary source anyway, its quoting a podcast which presumably is still up and could have been reviewed if needed. Just jumping in and swinging bans/edits around without clarifying details or knowing what is happening is not exactly a great look...

Oct 26, 2017
I signed up for a 7 day trial with Luminary to listen, and god damn, I'm even more enraged at what a piece of fucking shit he is.....8 more minutes at 2x speed.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Yes! That they just seemingly erased it and hoped nobody would notice is wild.

Even if it's a case where they had to get their ducks in a row before attaching a public correction, they should have taken the entire article down.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
He is such a god damn idiot - why would he laser in on this topic when he could do good stuff with his influence?
Nope he chose to be a bigot. More important I guess.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Um, why were mods banning anyway before getting a chance to clarify the situation? Even if you couldn't see proof in the article (and it absolutely was there, I saw it myself earlier), the article isn't a primary source anyway, its quoting a podcast which presumably is still up and could have been reviewed if needed. Just jumping in and swinging bans/edits around without clarifying details or knowing what is happening is not exactly a great look...
for real lol, OP got clapped with the quickness

Oct 26, 2017
"These were grown people of various genders and gender identities," Chappelle said. "They threw eggs. They threw eggs at the [fans] who were lined up to see the show… They was doing all that shit. Throwing eggs and they had this rallying cry: they go, 'Go home transphobe.' They kept saying that: 'Go home, transphobe,' and 'fuck you, transphobe.' It was really confusing, but if you replace the word transphobe for n—– it makes perfect sense."
I didn't hear this bolded part in the episode at all so yeah......My only guess is that they had notes from a previous episode that made it incorrectly into this article. Either way, Variety fucked up. I might start a new thread on another thing he said in the episode that I find just awful....

phranc

Nov 13, 2017
I used to like his comedy. The anti trans stuff is awful. Makes you rethink everything.

There's too many comedians and celebrities now that have done this lately.

It's a shame. I wish most of them could keep their bad behavior and bigoted views to themselves rather than spreading the hate.

Oct 26, 2017
So, this is a quote from the same episode when someone (I think from the audience? Not sure how this shit works) is asking him a question/discussing with him. They say to Dave:

"You're not necessarily from the trans community, even though they are a marginalized community, there is some overlap there---"

Dave: "---I mean, marginalized...OKay, this is the thing I take issue with. Because they were all yelling at me. All these trans people. And at one point when I addressed this person as miss and she screamed at me for it, but it was not a malicious thing to do. There was nothing that I would visually see that would indicate she was anything other than a woman ya know what I mean. She was mean. And she said how dare you say this about us. You don't know who identifies as what. And I say to the woman...'well, whatever you identify as, you're a white one.' And she never objected."

Another person: "I mean she's a good ally, Dave."

Dave: "Shes a terrible ally. Because I asked 'em. I said, 'where are all the black transgenders, and them n****s literally was like, 'they were just here.' No, they weren't."

He got really bothered and interjected at just the mention of the trans community being marginalized. Also notice how he still refers to this person in the story as she. And yeah...the white comment. I guess if you're white and trans you aren't marginalized.

The_Iceman2288 Would you mind threadmarking this or adding to OP?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ban first, ask questions later.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL

The OP has a history of it, according to the ban message. It was fixed just as fast as it was done.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
We'd need a lot of sweeteners to get that deal done, Tim's shit is egregious too and the culture don't want him lmao

Where do these awful people come from, truly. I know but it's more of a rhetorical ask.
I know it's rhetorical, but I think the answer is upbringing. Our ancestors were all pieces of shit, generally. And they taught their shit views to their kids and the cycle just continues. Eventually some people learn how to think for themselves and realize right from wrong and Starr teaching their kids correct morals. But there's still too many shitty people teaching their shitty views. It's easy to say fuck that, those people should know better when they get old enough, but it's not so easy to actually do it when you e got years of that ingrained into you.

People like Tim Allen or Chapelle are literally on some reddit sub talking shit about us (not specifically obviously) and how we're wrong and being gay or trans or whatever is gross and wrong. And they believe in their hearts that they're right. Just like we believe we are. They'll never convince us and vice versa.

I'm 40 years old. I've seen so much change since I was young. The r word and f word were thrown around casually by everyone. Now, they're not. Coming out as gay is much more accepted now. Not like it should be, but progress is being made. Unfortunately, at the rate it's going, it's going to take another 200 years, which just sucks.

Rant over lol. Allen for Chapelle still on the table. We'll throw in a former president of our choice as well.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Is there currently anyone occupying a comparable share of the public discourse whom is more actively promoting the specific erasure of black trans people than Dave Chappelle?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Is there currently anyone occupying a comparable share of the public discourse whom is more actively promoting the specific erasure of black trans people than Dave Chappelle?
Yeah. My partner is black/mixed trans and she says basically this exact thing every time he goes on his TERF rants. I wonder what his reaction to be her or anyone else that is. (Obviously already know he will just never acknowledge them to keep the facade up.)

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
"Cancel Culture" doesn't exist. Just look at Louis CK performing at Madison Square Garden.
I thought you were mistaken but nope, he really has a show there next week. I thought he was locked to smaller venues, I saw he came to Honolulu recently and he booked the Chinatown Theater which is a smaller-ish venue compared to the Blaisdell Arena where Jimmy Yang played.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He keeps failing his promise to stop talking about trans people. Because he's not felt any negative consequences. So the pressure needs to be kept up.

I can believe with how rich and sheltered Dave is, that he would never have come across or avoided any opportunity to talk to black or non-white trans folks to maintain his cognitive dissonance that trans folks aren't marginalised.

Seik

Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
This has a 'Ye comparing his contract-losing Nazi ass saying Nazi shit in public situation to George Floyd not breathing' vibe to it.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
I find it comical that he claims his critics are trying to take the nuance out of the situation and his speech by "silencing him" when he is removing the nuance himself.

It reminds me of this story about how you run a bar. Things are running like usual, and then a neo Nazi shows up. He's all respectful, he isn't preachy, he's keeping to himself, no reason to kick him out. You say, "ok, he's fine", and maybe he brings a friend or two. And they are absolutely ok as well. Just chill guys.

The thing is though, those friends bring friends, and maybe those friends bring friends too. Ok, these guys are kinda assholes, I gotta do something about this. Only, you can't, because your bar is now a Nazi Biker bar. You made exceptions for the "good guys" but you didn't think about how going down this path could affect your bar.

That's why you have to nip it in the bud immediately. This is what he's failing to see about his own "commentary". Sure, like he says, he's not directly causing violence in the trans community. He isn't calling for deaths and he isn't killing people. But he's making it A-OK for his viewers to know that trans people are lesser. They start watching comedians and podcasters in their recommended YouTube videos and TikToks that are friends with Chapelle and agree with what he's saying. Then you get deeper and you start watching misinformation filled videos about why trans people are actually bad instead of just criticizing them under the veil of comedy. After that, you get to those wanting to end the existence of trans people.

He has to think about his impact in a broader context than just what he's directly doing. People with strong convictions and beliefs with influence are often pipelines for belief systems. If you are speaking from a strong political standpoint, you have to consider that. Sure, many people don't navigate deep into these pipelines. Many people might actually be disgusted at the people further down the anti-trans rhetoric yet still listen to Chapelle as a bastion of truth. But indifference can quickly be construed as acceptance. And the more people feel comfortable shitting on trans people, the more likely action will happen against them.

Honestly, he is being intentionally ignorant to his own impact. How can you see hundreds of people, thousands of posts, dozens of articles, all aimed at your own conduct and just react "no, they must be wrong!" How many people does it take to make you just sit and think for one second that maybe these thousands and thousands of people aren't just tricked into trying to "cancel" you, but are actually trying to get you to understand that what you are doing can be harmful in the long run?

It's absurd.

Jun 22, 2019
The amount of eggs better keep doubling at every show. Also love how the OP got banned when post #7 had the quote in question that was removed, real classy.