• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Louis C.K. Makes Surprise Appearance at Dave Chappelle’s Summer Camp Comedy Show

In an Aug. 4 photo, Louis C.K. is flanked by Dave Chappelle, Michelle Wolf, DJ Trauma and Mo Amer during one of Chappelle's events in Yellow Springs, Ohio.
Louis C.K.'s slow-burning comeback just got a boost from longtime friend Dave Chappelle.

In a photo shared on social media August 4, C.K. is called the "surprise guest in the cornfield" as he poses front and center on stage next to Chappelle and fellow performers Michelle Wolf, Mo Amer and DJ Trauma at Wirrig Pavilion in Yellow Springs, Ohio. That's where Chappelle has been hosting a series of shows called Dave Chappelle & Friends: An Intimate Socially Distanced Affair, or as its been tagged online "Chappelle's Summer Camp." Photographer Mathieu Bitton posted the pic on Instagram, where it was also shared by DJ Trauma who wrote, "Louis CK came thru and rocked with us!!!"

C.K. saw his career sidelined in 2017 due to numerous sexual misconduct allegations, incidents he later acknowledged and confirmed. While he has been moving forward with a comeback for some time — performing at New York clubs in 2018, launching a tour in 2019, and self-releasing a special, Sincerely C.K., in April — the Summer Camp cameo marks his biggest outing yet by sharing the stage with A-list comedy names.

For reference, Dave Chapelle had no problem with Louis CK's admitted-to behavior and suggested the female accusers had an agenda:
To fans of Chappelle, C.K.'s appearance won't be a surprise. The two comedians are longtime friends and Chappelle made a point of both defending him and criticizing his accusers in multiple comedy specials. "Louis C.K. was a very good friend of mine before he died in that terrible masturbation accident. ... He didn't do anything you can call the police for. I dare you to try," Chappelle said in Netflix's Sticks & Stones. "Now he's coming back playing comedy clubs and they're acting like if he's able to do that that's going to hurt women. What the f--- is your agenda, ladies?"

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, Chappelle has been one of his biggest supporters, so no surprise there. Louis definitely seems like he's getting that comeback arc. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get a Netflix special of some kind next year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Chappelle has been one of his biggest supporters, so no surprise there. Louis definitely seems like he's getting that comeback arc. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get a Netflix special of some kind next year.
They're friends for a long time. Louis was a writer for Chris Rock. Dave and Chris Rock are tight. Comedy is a small world.

Sarah Silverman has mentioned seeing Louis masturbate and she just shrugged it off. It was consensual for her though.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Imagine defining right and wrong based on the law lol.

The law has always worked in favour of good people 🤡

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised by Dave, but surprised to see Michelle Wolf there. Screw Louis CK

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
damn, Dave is done for me. The only issue he seems to understand is race, he is tone deaf on everything else

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what Michelle Wolf is thinking with this move. I can't imagine her publicist, agent, and/or PR representatives advised her that this was a good idea, so she must feel pretty strongly that she has to stand up for CK. Her presence is what gives this them cover to make this move, so presumably she is ready to really have her feet held to the fire over the situation.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Dave is kind of obsessed with caping for people who were rightly canceled. It's a shame

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from his plethora of bad takes recently I also don't like how he can't go two minutes without smoking

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Michelle Wolf, what is you doing?

Also, fuck both Chappelle and CK.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
fuck is michelle wolf doing in that picture

that's way more surprising

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what Michelle Wolf is thinking with this move. I can't imagine her publicist, agent, and/or PR representatives advised her that this was a good idea, so she must feel pretty strongly that she has to stand up for CK. Her presence is what gives this them cover to make this move, so presumably she is ready to really have her feet held to the fire over the situation.
She knows white guys in Hollywood are back in Hollywood after 5 or so years of being "cancelled". If Mel Gibson can come back multiple times and every open secret pervert except Weinstein bounces back CK will be casting Wolf in his award-winning comeback film as a thank you by the next election.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Louis could have had a legit resurgent career if he didn't immediately go back to standup and didn't double down on alt-right talking points. People were ready to forgive him and he fucked it up.

BennyBoyPosts

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
User banned (permanent): concern trolling about a sexual predator over a series of posts, account in junior phase
Soo much vitriol here. Can we try and look at this from the more positive side that despite everybody knowing Louis CK did wrong and gross he has a right to work and that working with a comedian on a comedy show alone isn't condoling very publicly known actions.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is why cancel culture doesn't exist. These people still have careers.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With the Michelle Wolf thing I could easily see it as the fact that she's part of the show series and suddenly they get Louis CK as a surprise guest one week and she sorta has to go along with it or burn a massive amount of bridges. Not to excuse her or anything but that's the kind of situation that a lot of women in entertainment have to deal with: "hey we're bringing in this known shitty dude and you just have to deal".

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Soo much vitriol here. Can we try and look at this from the more positive side that despite everybody knowing Louis CK did wrong and gross he has a right to work and that working with a comedian on a comedy show alone isn't condoling very publicly known actions.

Even if one were only concerned about comedians being able to work (and one should have way more concerns than just that), it would be wrong to support Louis here. This kind of behavior is one of the reasons why so many women have a hard time getting success in the industry. How many great comedians do you think we've missed out on because they were chased out of the industry by a more famous man targeting them sexually?

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Not only do I find out Chapelle supports Kanye but CK as well? Tomorrow we'll probably hear hes chummy with Ghislaine Maxwell.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
With the Michelle Wolf thing I could easily see it as the fact that she's part of the show series and suddenly they get Louis CK as a surprise guest one week and she sorta has to go along with it or burn a massive amount of bridges. Not to excuse her or anything but that's the kind of situation that a lot of women in entertainment have to deal with: "hey we're bringing in this known shitty dude and you just have to deal".
Yeah I was going to say, I'm not surprised by Chapelle, but I am surprised by Michelle Wolf. But I guess if he's a surprise appearance, she's not exactly in a spot to walk out in protest.

Louis isn't in jail so you're right that he has a right to work and anyone who wants to see him is free to do so. The thing about this situation though is that Dave doesn't think what Louis did was wrong or gross, and he does condone what Louis did just fine.

BennyBoyPosts

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Do we all have to defend, or even worse condemn, Michelle Wolf like she's not a strong enough lady to speak for herself or having the strength to work alongside a disgraced person without supporting all their actions. It's not like Louis CK has been charged as a dangerous sex offender that shouldn't be allowed near people, lest he take advantage of them at any opportunity, whether you think he should have been or not.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The thing with C.K. to me is first, gross, second, he never gave a heartfelt and genuine apology. He was basically like "well the people I had power over said it would be OK to whip my junk out thinking it was a joke only it wasn't - surprise! - and so I figured it was alright". That's not funny or bordering anything near OK.

With Chappelle it's just simply not funny to make the kinds of jokes he does about transgender people. This is Eddie Murphy from the 80's and his homosexual jokes all over again. Only I doubt Chapelle will ever apologize and make amends.

So them pairing up seems like providence.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really hoping Michelle Wolf isn't doing what it looks like in this situation because I'm a big fan of hers and I'm not about to be tacitly endorsing Louis CK.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

He has the right to work. And I have the right to say fuck him and anyone who supports him. So...

Fuck him and anyone who supports him.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

BennyBoyPosts

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Even if one were only concerned about comedians being able to work (and one should have way more concerns than just that), it would be wrong to support Louis here. This kind of behavior is one of the reasons why so many women have a hard time getting success in the industry. How many great comedians do you think we've missed out on because they were chased out of the industry by a more famous man targeting them sexually?
Well it's the main concern of the topic at thread. what Louis CK did will forever be wrong and very public, and that's why his career will forever be tarnished aswell as (hopefully) his ability on prey on women and being let on Dave Chappelles show isn't going to stop that. Dave wants to help out friend and give the audience someone controversial yes, but a big, whatshegonnasay interesting name. He's not magically absolving his behaviour.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't given a single shit about Dave in years. Now I've got even a better reason to not give a fuck about the guy.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Do we all have to defend, or even worse condemn, Michelle Wolf like she's not a strong enough lady to speak for herself or having the strength to work alongside a disgraced person without supporting all their actions. It's not like Louis CK has been charged as a dangerous sex offender that shouldn't be allowed near people, lest he take advantage of them at any opportunity, whether you think he should have been or not.
I hope your 10 other posts in the last year are better takes than this.