• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
There were a few bits that made me laugh, but only a few. Like others have said, this is probably the weakest of his netflix shows.
Definitely check out the epilogue though, some great anecdotes from Dave in there.

And yeah, this thread is probably gonna blow up once people catch on to what Dave says about certain topics.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a hard pass for me on this one. His first two shows outside of the transphobic bits were a classic return and hilarious but the more he actually tries to talk about "edgy" subjects the less funny it usually is.

It is also strange that so many people won't even acknowledge his transphobia because they know it will make them uncomfortable watching future shows

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Was looking forward to this because I don't mind when comedians do controversial bits, or even punch down, with the caveat that it's funny. He's rarely funny in this one. He's simply monetizing controversial opinions. Where's the insightful Dave from so many years ago? His muscles grew but his talent shriveled.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Was looking forward to this because I don't mind when comedians do controversial bits, or even punch down, with the caveat that it's funny. He's rarely funny in this one. He's simply monetizing controversial opinions. Where's the insightful Dave from so many years ago? His muscles grew but his talent shriveled.

I thought his last set was pretty damn insightful (the tasteless trans jokes not withstanding)

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I thought his last set was pretty damn insightful (the tasteless trans jokes not withstanding)
He was pushing it for me with the Louis CK shit in the last set. Saying the woman who left her job on a show with Louis didn't have a strong enough desire to work in the industry because he masturbated in front of her isn't insightful to me. It's mean-spirited.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I'll take that as a no, then. I'll just quote the interesting part from a summary of it.

He goes on to say that he reflected on the question of whether or not he has a problem with trans people, given that he so frequently makes jokes at their expense. And the conclusion Chappelle came to: "Absolutely not."

"I don't understand all the choices people make," he said. "But I do understand that life is hard, and that those types of choices do not disqualify you from a life with dignity and happiness and safety."

I have quoted the part of relevance now. No need to watch anything you don't want to.

It doesn't surprise me that someone who is only familiar with the Dave by reading about the controversy and thus has only heard the jokes detached from the empathetic underpinning would believe this was a person who is "denying your right to exist." But, and I'm saying this as the person who first raised the alarm at the old place about Dave's material on trans people after seeing him at a local show, he now strikes me as someone who is trying to get there and has the empathy but also doesn't believe that there's no humor in the subject.

Ignore me. Don't watch the specials. Block all this out if you want, that's okay. There is no one prescription for self-care.

"Choices"

It's not a fucking choice.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I turned it off after the MJ section. A lot of that part wasn't even jokes, it was just him saying shitty things to be shocking. I only laughed at the Macaulay Culkin part, which was actually a joke.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this was dropping today. Well, I know what I'll be watching tomorrow night. Hope its good.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping that he would do more with the comparison that he made in the opening bit. It was a great way to explain how depression doesn't give a shit about how awesome your life is.

The section about trans people straight up sucked. Not only because it was tasteless, but because it wasn't even particularly clever or funny. Not gonna quote it, but be does another comparison like he does one of those "what if I choose to be X!" bits and it was some cornball ass cringy shit. I got wack ass attack chopper joke flashbacks out of it.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
it seems dave seems to be going at what he's being told he can't
i enjoyed this stand up the least
less thought provoking and clever
still really really funny though, it gets dark

Oct 25, 2017
I know. But are you of the belief that someone who expressed this would be less accepting if they learned it wasn't a choice?

I think Dave has learned that it's not a choice, he just seems to reject it. I find it incredulous that someone who inevitably must have had many interactions with trans people due to his transphobic rhetoric hasn't been informed of this.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Opening joke was really funny but the first first 20 minutes were really undercooked.

Everything past that was hysterical.

Not his best work and I'd say all of his Netflix specials before it were better.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping that he would do more with the comparison that he made in the opening bit. It was a great way to explain how depression doesn't give a shit about how awesome your life is.

The section about trans people straight up sucked. Not only because it was tasteless, but because it wasn't even particularly clever or funny. Not gonna quote it, but be does another comparison like he does one of those "what if I choose to be X!" bits and it was some cornball ass cringy shit. I got wack ass attack chopper joke flashbacks out of it.

That's disappointing to hear but really not surprising in the least. I really wish he would just stay away from trans people as a topic because all he's really done is shown us time and time again that he does not get it and does not want to.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Damn didn't even know there was a QA part

Felt like he got really mean here. It was super funny but a couple times I thought the meanness was maybe too much. I dunno.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The MJ part was ultimately pointless, I get he wants to address the documentary and address the new charges (I didn't realise new charges had been brought?), but ultimately, it felt pointless.

The part about him being asked to be in a R-Kelly docu was interesting. I wonder why? Because of his parodies?

Damn didn't even know there was a QA part

Felt like he got really mean here. It was super funny but a couple times I thought the meanness was maybe too much. I dunno.

Where do you feel he got too mean?

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting the Q&A, and I let it run past the credits, too. I just get the Netflix logo at the end, and the video stops.

I also think his comedy is much stronger when he's talking about his own life, rather than making more cornball trans jokes. Maybe he's just doing it at this point to prove that the "haters" can't silence him.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I liked it well enough, loved the Kevin Hart bits near the end.

Somewhere, more noticable in the prior special, he picked up this tic where he taps his Mic on his body when he wants to represent a laugh. I like it

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I'm not getting the Q&A, and I let it run past the credits, too. I just get the Netflix logo at the end, and the video stops.

I also think his comedy is much stronger when he's talking about his own life, rather than making more cornball trans jokes. Maybe he's just doing it at this point to prove that the "haters" can't silence him.
Go into trailers for that show and look for Epilogue.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The MJ part was ultimately pointless, I get he wants to address the documentary and address the new charges (I didn't realise new charges had been brought?), but ultimately, it felt pointless.

The part about him being asked to be in a R-Kelly docu was interesting. I wonder why? Because of his parodies?

Where do you feel he got too mean?
To me it's mean to keep doing Trans jokes and blaming the trans community for him still doing them. And after admitting that it's their own damn fault that he keeps offending them, to do the Trans-Chinaman joke was just tone deaf beyond all reason. One of the reasons I've loved Dave throughout the years is that he's offensive as fuck but also smart. There was nothing smart about that Chinaman joke.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't know if I'm laughing at the jokes or laughing at the delivery and just Dave being Dave. Like I know I shouldn't be laughing at half this shit. Like I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in a lot of trouble for hIs material, but man I've been laughing at his "white guy" voice for years and if never gets old.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe this one will have fewer tired gay and trans jokes than the last specials. I'll dare to hope the new material is sharp and funny too.

Edit: First ten minutes are as out of touch, lazily provocative, and unfunny as I feared. Oh well. I think my time would be better spent rewatching Nanette.

Last edited:

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What happened to Dave ? His compassion seems to be gone. It's like a different person trying to unleash his hate, he was never this mean spirited. And most of it isn't even funny.

I was furious when Dave mentioned Anthony Bourdain killing himself and the audience laughing. WTF ?

I loved everything Dave released. Except for this one. This was just incredibly mean spirited, without any humor.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
What happened to Dave ? His compassion seems to be gone. It's like a different person trying to unleash his hate, he was never this mean spirited. And most of it isn't even funny.

I was furious when Dave mentioned Anthony Bourdain killing himself and the audience laughing. WTF ?

I loved everything Dave released. Except for this one. This was just incredibly mean spirited, without any humor.
Yep that Bourdain bit was tasteless. I thought Dave might have been bringing that up to make some sort of compassionate or thoughtful or bittersweet observation about mental illness, but nope. The joke was "He had a great job, and he hung himself."

That audience will laugh at anything, apparently. They sure seemed to enjoy being scolded for disapproving of predatory celebrities. They seemed to enjoy having their personal experiences of sexual assault being mocked and trivialized too.

To be clear, these topics shouldn't be off limits in comedy. But you damn well shouldn't talk about them in your set if you have nothing intelligent or humorous to say.