• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Not his best special but some hilarious jokes in there.

It even says politically incorrect stand-up comedy on Netflix. People who are easily offended probably shouldn't watch it, they are not going to have a good time.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep that Bourdain bit was tasteless. I thought Dave might have been bringing that up to make some sort of compassionate or thoughtful or bittersweet observation about mental illness, but nope. The joke was "He had a great job, and he hung himself."

That audience will laugh at anything, apparently. They sure seemed to enjoy being scolded for disapproving of predatory celebrities. They seemed to enjoy having their personal experiences of sexual assault being mocked and trivialized too.

To be clear, these topics shouldn't be off limits in comedy. But you damn well shouldn't talk about them in your set if you have nothing intelligent or humorous to say.

Yeah I was waiting for him to go deeper there like he often does, the importance of mental health injected with his impeccable humor and way of approaching it. But nothing.

As someone who loved everything he released so far (bar some jokes from the last one) this fell flat completely. As a Dave fan, i'm a bit devastated to see my GOAT comedian take this route. Wasn't even funny as well.

I don't mind if a comedian is offensive, Dave usually injects thought and humor into it like few others. This was offensive for the sake of being offensive.

And when he scolded the audience by imitating them in a insulting way, generalizing everyone as that type of person.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah I was waiting for him to go deeper there like he often does, the importance of mental health injected with his impeccable humor and way of approaching it. But nothing.

As someone who loved everything he released so far (bar some jokes from the last one) this fell flat completely. As a Dave fan, i'm a bit devastated to see my GOAT comedian take this route. Wasn't even funny as well.

I don't mind if a comedian is offensive, Dave usually injects thought and humor into it like few others. This was offensive for the sake of being offensive.

And when he scolded the audience by imitating them in a insulting way, generalizing everyone as that type of person.

yea when i saw this i thought damn it Dave is old. because thats usually the type of people that make these type of jokes. the whole first half wasn't very good because of this imo. just offensive because he doesn't get it. the Dave from Chappelle show, or even from his earlier specials would have had better commentary and humor on these subjects. now he just sounds like every other old person who's mad they can't say what they want without consequence and worried someone will bring something up from their past they might have to answer for.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It even says politically incorrect stand-up comedy on Netflix. People who are easily offended probably shouldn't watch it, they are not going to have a good time.

I haven't watched it yet and I think Chappelle is a genius, but LOOK OUT!!! NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED!!! is usually a guarantee that something won't be funny.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

"politically incorrect" has very different meanings depending on who says it.

Politically Incorrect:
Hannibal Buress putting Cosby on blast and calling him a rapist.

"Politically Incorrect":
Trump calling most immigrants rapists and murderers.

If Chappelle's give-no-fucks political incorrectness has no component to it that serves some greater purpose then it falls into the bastardized phrase's category.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Half way through, I've got to say this is easily his worst one yet. Unless it all comes back around at the end, it's just old man yells at cloud for an hour.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Going to watch this as soon as I get home. Been looking forward to this one and I can't wait for Bill Burr's special which is out later this year too I believe

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like the exact show I watched when I saw him live a month ago except with a few tidbits.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Going to watch this as soon as I get home. Been looking forward to this one and I can't wait for Bill Burr's special which is out later this year too I believe
Next month man!
If it's as good as his touring show, it's going to be amazing.
Chappelle's show was not as good as the previous ones but still great standup.
Epilogue was a nice touch.

Wasn't supposed to be a q&a at the end? The show just ended for me. I don't understand

Yeah, it's supposed to lead into ~22 min Q&A session titled "Epilogue: The Punchline"; it did it automatically for me following the credits. Looks like it can be found in the Trailers & More tab under the trailer for the special, at least that is how it is on my phone.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has always held Dave to a high standard and loved his previous specials, this one just ain't it. Disappointed as hell and turned it off halfway through.

Just seems like him completely going into defensive about people being critical of him. Usually his mean-spirited bits have a greater point, and some of them here even still do (like his standards and practices bit), but most of it just seems like him being a dick with no greater point. The audience reaction felt downright uncomfortable at certain points, as sometimes it seems like they are laughing because they feel like they should and then there's times where they just seem uneasy.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
These shows are really getting the people out of the wetwork who miss the times when they could easily and safely voice their love for transphobic and similiar comedy, eh?

Like, at least try to explain why you think that this, espcially, was his "best show yet". I'd love to hear the argument for that.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's rather encouraging to see that politically incorrect and 'offensive' comedy is not dead, and in fact is front-and-center and being promoted by outfits as large as Netflix. Patrice Oneal said it best - comedians should be left to be comedians. If they make a joke and it's not funny, that's on them and they made a mistake. And they will absolutely eat shit for it on stage. But they should be allowed to make the attempt. It's all about the construction of the joke and the delivery. It's an art, a craft, and I love it.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I watched all of Burt's Netflix content. "Arnold Schwarzenegger is a great man!" is still one of my favourite bits.

Watched Chappelle's two weeks ago, gonna have to watch this one.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He literally makes a "people get offended but I have friends who are lgbt and they love me" type remark multiple times

Like, come on man

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Gonna rewatch it tonight when the wife gets home. Seems a pretty even split on Era; I was expecting far more of the board to have noped out after the first 15 minutes.

The man makes stand up look effortless. When you're so good that it doesn't even look like you're working, that's impressive.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I haven't watched it yet and probably won't but all the comments here certainly align with his attitude depicted in the edgy trailer.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
some bits were funny but yeah more hit than miss

What happened to Dave ? His compassion seems to be gone. It's like a different person trying to unleash his hate, he was never this mean spirited. And most of it isn't even funny.

I was furious when Dave mentioned Anthony Bourdain killing himself and the audience laughing. WTF ?

I loved everything Dave released. Except for this one. This was just incredibly mean spirited, without any humor.

Feeling the same way.

This was the worst one so far.

I was waiting for follow ups of compassion but when none came it just sounded like an old man ranting lol

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointing special. Until the last 12 minutes (which I found hilarious), the special just felt like an attack on people/social groups for their reactions at the last special/"Outrage culture is getting out of hand" response and I only found myself laughing a handful of times.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Special was weak as hell.

Going out of your way to say your special is politically incorrect is corny as fuck. Dude might as well have called it "triggered" but that title was already taken by Joe Rogan.
Joe-Rogan.jpg

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna rewatch it tonight when the wife gets home. Seems a pretty even split on Era; I was expecting far more of the board to have noped out after the first 15 minutes.

The man makes stand up look effortless. When you're so good that it doesn't even look like you're working, that's impressive.

There certainly is a lack of effort with this one.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Watched....it was okay but def. seemed like he cooked that up fast just for the tour and Netflix money.

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was great, really good!

It kind of remind me a bit of Aziz as well.

It's another racially discriminated dude calling out discrepancies and false equivalence on the left and why it can't move forward.

Same thing has been said in black communities and exemplify why blacks are feeling that the left will always fail them, that even if is fighting the right, still always in favor of white supremacy, just another side of the coin.

Edit: And blacks that feel this way are not wrong, that's exactly what happens with the left. I feel more like that everyday, and most of my friends as well.

Basically, why Trump still winning.

Last edited:

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

It's another racially discriminated dude calling out discrepancies and false equivalence on the left and why it can't move forward.

Same time has been used on black communities and exemplify why blacks are feeling that the left will always fail them, that even if is fighting the right, still always in favor of white supremacy, just another side of the coin.

He touches on this further in the Q&A

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Watched the special and the q&a

It's definitely as funny as usual, but it's way less deep

We have never seen a Dave like this. At the time of the Chapelle Show we had a Dave entertainer first and society criticiser second. Then in his comeback he had maturate, it was a deep Dave, "philosopher" first and entertainer next.

But today we had something entirely new, we had Chapelle provocateur, he just dived in controversies without expanding anything. I understand what he was trying to do, his second impression was a clear message, but after the 4 special it came out as weak.

I hope he goes back to deep Chapelle, if he is ever going to release a new special

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the special and the q&a

It's definitely as funny as usual, but it's way less deep

We have never seen a Dave like this. At the time of the Chapelle Show we had a Dave entertainer first and society criticiser second. Then in his comeback he had maturate, it was a deep Dave, "philosopher" first and entertainer next.

But today we had something entirely new, we had Chapelle provocateur, he just dived in controversies without expanding anything. I understand what he was trying to do, his second impression was a clear message, but after the 4 special it came out as weak.

I hope he goes back to deep Chapelle, if he is ever going to release a new special
Pretty good take

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was pretty damn funny.

Same thing has been used on black communities and exemplify why blacks are feeling that the left will always fail them, that even if is fighting the right, still always in favor of white supremacy, just another side of the coin.

that's how I saw it, and he explicitly states so about 3/4s in.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah this didn't do it for me. Most chuckles we're just from Dave's general delivery, not from the words themselves. I wasn't even offended, just underwhelmed.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

Same thing has been used on black communities and exemplify why blacks are feeling that the left will always fail them, that even if is fighting the right, still always in favor of white supremacy, just another side of the coin.

That's fine to call out false equivalencies, but his comedy lacks the punch it once had because he has largely abandoned the empathy he used to inject into his comedy. Which at times gave it a social gravity almost no comedians can ever reach.

The special was fine, it had its moments. None nearly as good as the height of his previous specials. The jokes mostly get like jokes you hear from comedians their first month or so workshopping new material for a special they have 8 months away. Still, he remains the most effortless comedian and it's a testament that even a half-baked Chappelle special is better than 90% of what's out there.

But it is largely mean-spirited, intellectually conservative(not in the political sense but in the cultural sense of someone that is stuck in a way about the past and rather come up with ways to rationalize behavior and thinking he doesn't want to change than actually critically think and self-critique), and often in calling out hypocrisy he misses his own. Which to me is a sign that Dave has, unfortunately, somewhat lost that magic he had to be a really interesting contemporaneous comedic voice on social issues.

There is this deep desire for him as a straight man to keep normalized transphobic humor, viewpoints, and feelings he felt comfortable using or having 10-20 years ago, which's sucks a lot of the energy out of his stand up now. Because a lot of it is just old guy unwilling to change trying to persuade everyone to remain as closed-minded as he wants to stay. It's like Bill Burr without knowing it's partially a schtick and only really focusing in on all the social justice fights he couldn't be bothered to care about.

It's a guy that today can't see the irony and contradiction in him calling out white people for Kaepernick kneeling, as he tells trans people and woman to metaphorically get off their knees and learn how to protest better because it's pissing the establishment off and their to blame for backlash. He's the guy a younger Chappelle growing up in this era would mock.

Last edited: