• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Forgive my ignorance, but what is this Xbox community? Is there a separate one for PlayStation too?

XboxEra. As far as I know it was basically started because a bunch of members of the Xbox OTs got fed up with what they perceived as a pervasive bias against Xbox on ResetEra, including different treatment from the moderators.

There is no PlayStation equivalent I'm aware of.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Jeff and David Jaffe seem to be astroturfing for gamepass as well it seems. /S

I like their argument of a fair playground with no barrier of entry to try out something someone else recommends, especially for those picky spending the 70 bucks.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
XboxEra. As far as I know it was basically started because a bunch of members of the Xbox OTs got fed up with what they perceived as a pervasive bias against Xbox on ResetEra, including different treatment from the moderators.

That's dumb. Victim complex everywhere. Some need to grow the f up.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I think it had a lot to do with people confusing the fact that PlayStation fans materially outnumber Xbox fans here (as you'd expect when Sony sold twice as many PS4s), for some kind of pernicious anti-Xbox sentiment.

The reality is people on both sides of the aisle constantly whine about how this place is so negative or unfair about <insert platform here>. The meta-commentary whining about the other team got so bad in the Xbox and PlayStation OTs that the moderators put up notes in each about it, lol.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

MS have deserved a bit of an online kicking for their strategy since the middle of the 360 gen, but they have certainly turned it around and are building a head of steam. I'm sure the posters wouldn't have too bad a time right now, especially as it is Sony who are (deservedly) getting put under the spotlight now.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nah, the concern trolling and shit posting in xbox/ms threads was really out of hand imo. it was basically impossible to have a positive thread about xbox at one point without it being derailed. i don't blame people for leaving, sometime you just want to have a positive discussion about games and not have to deal with trolls in every single thread.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
nah, the concern trolling and shit posting in xbox/ms threads was really out of hand imo. it was basically impossible to have a positive thread about xbox at one point without it being derailed. i don't blame people for leaving, sometime you just want to have a positive discussion about games and not have to deal with trolls in every single thread.
And now, we will see the same happening in PS threads. poetry.gif

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
What an entertaining thread. It's 2021 and people are still coming at Mr Press Sneak Fuck himself and getting bodied left and right xD

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
I think it had a lot to do with people confusing the fact that PlayStation fans materially outnumber Xbox fans here (as you'd expect when Sony sold twice as many PS4s), for some kind of pernicious anti-Xbox sentiment.

The reality is people on both sides of the aisle constantly whine about how this place is so negative or unfair about <insert platform here>. The meta-commentary whining about the other team got so bad in the Xbox and PlayStation OTs that the moderators put up notes in each about it, lol.
MS have deserved a bit of an online kicking for their strategy since the middle of the 360 gen, but they have certainly turned it around and are building a head of steam. I'm sure the posters wouldn't have too bad a time right now, especially as it is Sony who are (deservedly) getting put under the spotlight now.
Fair enough. Makes it even funnier that some would claim this place is biased towards xbox.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
There was a time when even Game Pass was getting a concern thread each three days or so. You could not under any circumstance have positive Xbox news. It was only when Microsoft announced they had an agreement to purchase Bethesda that the tide really turned in a decisive way.

That deal, I will always say, hit different.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Eh, that place is pretty much just Playstation bashing and fanboying now. Seems like some of those people just wanted a place to troll and console war without being called out.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Lol this actually happened? Someone dare slandered Xbox so they made XboxEra? How dare anyone talk shit about MY BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY! How dare anyone talk ill of Phil Spencer, our lord and savior.

Resetera is the Playstation Equivalent!

/s

Guys, stop worshiping PlayStation/Xbox/etc (also their respective companies) as if they are altruistically there for you. At the end of the day you are their consumer. You are just there to fill their wallets and make rich people richer.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Point of Comparison
Lol this actually happened? Someone dare slandered Xbox so they made XboxEra? How dare anyone talk shit about MY BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY! How dare anyone talk ill of Phil Spencer, our lord and savior.

/s

Guys, stop worshiping PlayStation/Xbox/etc (also their respective companies) as if they are altruistically there for you. At the end of the day you are their consumer. You are just there to fill their wallets and make rich people richer.

I totally agree about the console warring BS but I have a slightly different take on this. My issue is that it seems when someone makes a positive thread about the console of their choice, others who dislike the console jump into it and start sniping. It's really annoying. I have never been on any other forum, (except NeoGaf back in the day) but I could see how someone could say I'm tired of fighting, I just want to talk about my thing.

For instance, if someone starts a post that Game Pass is being loved by developers, someone else inevitably comes in and says "it's unsustainable or filled with shovel-ware." Conversely, if someone posts that the media is saying that PlayStation Plus - Play at Home has great games, someone else will say "...no, no, it isn't good as Game Pass." It's just exhausting.

As an African-American male, this pattern is familiar to me. I have always said that one of the biggest issues with inherent bias is the inability of people to mind their own business. For instance, if I am walking down your street minding my own business, why do you care? Why do you feel the need to ask me where am I going or what am I doing? Why do you want to call the police? This sort of behavior leads to unnecessary conflict and sometimes tragic results.

I hate comparing console warring about video games to racism as this is only a hobby, but in a way that makes this behavior even more sad and ridiculous. It drains the joy out of any discussion. I honestly believe some people would rather spend their time arguing about games than playing them. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I am most interested in what happened to Bend's Uncharted. It seems unlikely to me Sony would just cancel it given the franchise sales potential and pedigree. Would it move to ND? Would it be put on hold temporarily?

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree about the console warring BS but I have a slightly different take on this. My issue is that it seems when someone makes a positive thread about the console of their choice, others who dislike the console jump into it and start sniping. It's really annoying. I have never been on any other forum, (except NeoGaf back in the day) but I could see how someone could say I'm tired of fighting, I just want to talk about my thing.

For instance, if someone starts a post that Game Pass is being loved by developers, someone else inevitably comes in and says "it's unsustainable or filled with shovel-ware." Conversely, if someone posts that the media is saying that PlayStation Plus - Play at Home has great games, someone else will say "...no, no, it isn't good as Game Pass." It's just exhausting.

As an African-American male, this pattern is familiar to me. I have always said that one of the biggest issues with inherent bias is the inability of people to mind their own business. For instance, if I am walking down your street minding my own business, why do you care? Why do you feel the need to ask me where I am going on what I am doing? Why do you want to call the police? This sort of behavior leads to unnecessary conflict and sometimes tragic results.

I hate comparing console warring about video games to racism as this is only a hobby, but in a way that makes this behavior even more sad and ridiculous. It drains the joy out of any discussion. I honestly believe some people would rather spend their time arguing about games than playing them. Just my 2 cents.

I'm inclined to agree. That's why I try to stay out of anything that is too attached to either Sony or MS. I just try to keep my talks about the games. It's why I loved the "All systems suck, but that's ok" thread by Transistor. Level the playing field, no system is better or worse. They all have pros and cons.

Oct 30, 2017

/s

I mean, if you actually visited the site you'd see it's a website dedicated to Xbox news and games. It's not a circle-jerk MS forum or anything. It reminds me of when TeamXbox was around during the OG and 360 heydays. It was a great resource for news and console-specific reviews. Man I miss teamxbox.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
During these times there are often multiple truths based on perspectives, even if only one (or none) of them end up enduring over the longer term.

Bingo. I do believe the inconsistences between Jeff's statements and Jason's reporting come down to the perspective of those leaking info vs what discussions were happening amongst leadership.

I hope Jason considers this context in future reporting and when commenting on a developer's version of events.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're in the fire right now which is fine. This has happens to all three one point in time during this last decade, like I gotta imagine Nintendo was eating shit entirely for the whole time the Wii U was on the market, same for Xbox's fuck up during the start of the gen. I've seen someone say this forum favors Xbox heavily....have you been here on this forum since day one in regards to the most popular topics and games on this site? especially when a big part of the Xbox community left the site and made their own. Like y'alls favorite platform company is going to be the punching bag once in awhile, suck it up.

Also this is not directed towards you but this a general thought.
Nintendo should be eating shit right now, tbh.

For the limited release bullshit and the rather indifferent regard for improving the OS features and Online Service, for a start

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's really sad to see how far David Jaffe has fallen.
Even though I said I wouldn't I did peek at some of his live video, what a shitshow. The guy thinks by dropping the f bomb every sentence he is somehow still in touch with the average person. All I saw was a guy past his prime who can't seem to move on.

As an African-American male, this pattern is familiar to me. I have always said that one of the biggest issues with inherent bias is the inability of people to mind their own business. For instance, if I am walking down your street minding my own business, why do you care? Why do you feel the need to ask me where am I going or what am I doing? Why do you want to call the police? This sort of behavior leads to unnecessary conflict and sometimes tragic results.

I'm inclined to agree. That's why I try to stay out of anything that is too attached to either Sony or MS. I just try to keep my talks about the games. It's why I loved the "All systems suck, but that's ok" thread by Transistor. Level the playing field, no system is better or worse. They all have pros and cons.

This is exactly it. It wouldn't be so bad if the odd person did it at random but you have a select few who continue to do this repeatedly, they know who they are.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I mean, if you actually visited the site you'd see it's a website dedicated to Xbox news and games. It's not a circle-jerk MS forum or anything. It reminds me of when TeamXbox was around during the OG and 360 heydays. It was a great resource for news and console-specific reviews. Man I miss teamxbox.
I mean, whenever Playstation comes up on that site it becomes a massive circle jerk.

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, whenever Playstation comes up on that site it becomes a massive circle jerk.
Lol, I'm just saying it's not purely a circle-jerk. There are other areas of the site that just have straightforward information.

When I referenced TeamXbox, I really was just referring to what I liked about it--the news and reviews and gameplay videos. Outside of ERA, I don't participate in gaming forums. I'm sure it's not the greatest.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would be really happy if Bend started making Uncharted games instead of Days Gone games. That is a best case scenario really. That is only if Bend would also be happy with it.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

That's perfectly fine and all, but if it was born of a perceived "oppression" as if a community of xbox fans felt like they need to be sheltered from being shit on, I think that's kinda sad.

Again I don't know the details, but if you are making a site to shelter yourself from the fact that (console I love) isn't immune to criticism, then I dunno what to say.

Tribalism is hilarious. I get that individuals have preferences and history with certain consoles. That doesn't give them the right to shit on other peoples preferences.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone able to provide a summary of events and current understanding?

Oct 30, 2017
That's perfectly fine and all, but if it was born of a perceived "oppression" as if a community of xbox fans felt like they need to be sheltered from being shit on, I think that's kinda sad.

Again I don't know the details, but if you are making a site to shelter yourself from the fact that (console I love) isn't immune to criticism, then I dunno what to say.

Tribalism is hilarious. I get that individuals have preferences and history with certain consoles. That doesn't give them the right to shit on other peoples preferences.
Agree with all your points. The "oppression" nonsense is just dumb.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

It can be exhausting seeing folks post criticism with outdated or flat out wrong information. It happens quite a bit here.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that Xbox fans did feel they needed somewhere to "shelter" where they could actually discuss the platform without constant trolling/bad faith posts is kinda sad, I agree.

If you think we don't criticise and call out when we feel MS messes up, then frankly, you're incorrect. But anyway, this is not the "why does our website exist" thread, as much as the conversation has been mildly interesting.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
VR threads were also like this for a long time but I think the mods have been doing a great job of ending a lot of the nonsense.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

they shouldn't be blamed for wanting a peaceful place to talk about xbox and xbox games. the issue is people feeling free to derail every single xbox thread with nonsense. thankfully, since late last year things have gotten a bit better.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Is anyone able to provide a summary of events and current understanding?

Schreier posts article from legitimate sources that there is some definite tension or frustration at Sony bend and other studios. He confirms that sony has scrapped days gone 2, and confirms a new uncharted and TLOU remake is being worked on. Sony bend was moved to support naughty dog at some point, according to Ross it was early on in development of days gone and it was a good thing, but according to schreiers sources a lot of employees felt sincere concern that they would no longer be a studio focused on making games, but instead yet another support studio.

Jeff ross gives his interview. Confirms a lot of what schreier says, some of it with a different perspective, for instance he says he never felt there was any threat of being moved to just a support studio. He also said he couldn't confirm or deny days gone 2 existing. People in this thread started playing a game of telephone and putting words in jeff's mouth and using confirmation bias to say things along the lines of "Jeff ross is calling schreier a liar! Days gone 2 is still under way! Everybody at bend is super happy! Ban schreier I hope his career dies, he's a covert xbox fan! He has an agenda! He's trying to get clicks to put food on the table!" Etc etc.

Schreier replies and says "IF Jeff ross actually said days gone 2 is in development he's not being truthful" people get defensive, accuse JS of being a liar and again a fanboy, etc. Eventually Jeff ross tweets support of schreier, says he's an excellent journalist and reminds everyone that he is under NDA and contractually Schreier can be more honest than him, which again confirms what Schreier has written.

The long and short is, schreiers article talked about some feelings of unease and tension within some internal studios. There's more to the article and the series of events on the teams that were working on TLOU remake or factions or the new uncharted. Because sony fans didn't like schreier just reporting what he's being told which happens to be negative information, they wanted his career and livelihood ruined.

Edit - also my 2 cents about the xbox fans. I don't post in xbox threads much at all so I don't know what the tone was like in those threads, but from everything I've seen on these forums dating back to when I joined the old place in 2006 or so, it's shifted heavily towards sony in terms of the fanbase numbers. Just my 2 cents on that because I see a lot of debate. I'm sure there's a way to get concrete numbers, but I'd be shocked if the fanbase wasn't 65%+ sony fans on this site.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
they shouldn't be blamed for wanting a peaceful place to talk about xbox and xbox games. the issue is people feeling free to derail every single xbox thread with nonsense. thankfully, since late last year things have gotten a bit better.
I mean, Playstation got alot of untrue shit about its hardware supposedly being underpowered and missing features, but noone made a separate forum for it. At any rate, I suppose the conversation has run its course.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Schreier posts article from legitimate sources that there is some definite tension or frustration at Sony bend and other studios. He confirms that sony has scrapped days gone 2, and confirms a new uncharted and TLOU remake is being worked on. Sony bend was moved to support naughty dog at some point, according to Ross it was early on in development of days gone and it was a good thing, but according to schreiers sources a lot of employees felt sincere concern that they would no longer be a studio focused on making games, but instead yet another support studio.

Jeff ross gives his interview. Confirms a lot of what schreier says, some of it with a different perspective, for instance he says he never felt there was any threat of being moved to just a support studio. He also said he couldn't confirm or deny days gone 2 existing. People in this thread started playing a game of telephone and putting words in jeff's mouth and using confirmation bias to say things along the lines of "Jeff ross is calling schreier a liar! Days gone 2 is still under way! Everybody at bend is super happy! Ban schreier I hope his career dies, he's a covert xbox fan! He has an agenda! He's trying to get clicks to put food on the table!" Etc etc.

Schreier replies and says "IF Jeff ross actually said days gone 2 is in development he's not being truthful" people get defensive, accuse JS of being a liar and again a fanboy, etc. Eventually Jeff ross tweets support of schreier, says he's an excellent journalist and reminds everyone that he is under NDA and contractually Schreier can be more honest than him, which again confirms what Schreier has written.

The long and short is, schreiers article talked about some feelings of unease and tension within some internal studios. There's more to the article and the series of events on the teams that were working on TLOU remake or factions or the new uncharted. Because sony fans didn't like schreier just reporting what he's being told which happens to be negative information, they wanted his career and livelihood ruined.

Edit - also my 2 cents about the xbox fans. I don't post in xbox threads much at all so I don't know what the tone was like in those threads, but from everything I've seen on these forums dating back to when I joined the old place in 2006 or so, it's shifted heavily towards sony in terms of the fanbase numbers. Just my 2 cents on that because I see a lot of debate. I'm sure there's a way to get concrete numbers, but I'd be shocked if the fanbase wasn't 65%+ sony fans on this site.
Thanks - I appreciate your summary

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It really helps that mods finally started handing out bans and warnings to the posters that were consistently coming into Xbox threads and spearheading the derails.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
It really helps that mods finally started handing out bans and warnings to the posters that were consistently coming into Xbox threads and spearheading the derails.
Gotta say i'm really happy with this to. I took notice of disingenuous behaviour being punished with bans. Kudos to the mods

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Agree with you, and the responses you're getting show how sensitive people can be, even indirectly "of course we need safe spaces for our console of choice!" they respond in unison. They still want to engage here, but only when it benefits their box.

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
And now, we will see the same happening in PS threads. poetry.gif
If anything it feels like the defense of Sony has been overreactionary. How many reporters and devs now are getting trashed by Era over recent reports? Accusations of Microsoft astroturfing getting thrown around because XBox has had a few positive things happen? Even games like GoT or Days Gone associated with Sony aren't safe from hate the moment they seem to be a liability.
Sony has legitimately had a bad couple of weeks. A little worry shouldn't be considered weird as these stories are coming out. We rarely get more than one thread per story anyway. Meanwhile the Arcues game announcement had three different threads at once talking about how terrible the game will "inevitably" be. If a game is getting more "concern" over graphics than a company is over personal concerns and departures than I dont think the latter is exactly getting the worst of Era.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Isn't it the same with any platform thread? PS threads are particularly bad now with "Jim Ryan" derailing.

Heck, PS OT needed a particular warning to stop this behavior.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it the same with any platform thread? PS threads are particularly bad now with "Jim Ryan" derailing.

Heck, PS OT needed a particular warning to stop this behavior.

I would argue that for awhile this place was particularly poor in being able to discuss Xbox. The forum kind of swings momentum against any platform that seems to be having issues at a given time.