• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just look at Red Hood's recent makeover

red-hood-design.jpg

Rebirth quality is dead and everything is going down the drain quickly.
Jeez they can never settle on a design for Ermac, can they?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
He should always have been named Buttz anyway. It really hits all the nuances of what the character has to offer.

Dan Didio, please look forward to my petition.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Lol this is dumb. Not changing his name; that's whatever and likely won't even stick past a year, if that.

No what's dumb is people making such a big deal out of something so small and silly. I know making fun of DC is the cool thing to do these days, but this is a reach guys. lol

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
No what's dumb is people making such a big deal out of something so small and silly. I know making fun of DC is the cool thing to do these days, but this is a reach guys. lol
I don't think it's a huge deal but I do think it's kind of a fucked up thing to attempt because superheroes, for all their superheroics, are supposed to be relatable. They're supposed to have flaws of all kinds, which might include having a goofy real name... if you can even call that a flaw. It's just a little something that real people have (and it could be a problem for them, especially in junior high) and characters like Dick Grayson are there for them to identify with and be inspired by.

This is sanitation.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I want every other character to still call him Dick and he is the only one who says Ric and keeps yelling at people how it's short for Richard but gets ignored every time

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Just look at Red Hood's recent makeover

red-hood-design.jpg

Rebirth quality is dead and everything is going down the drain quickly.
Only for the story arc; he's already slated to go back to a revamped version of his previous look next year.

Dow6NpnXgAAYSZM.jpg

Even Batman will be ditching the trunks and getting something more akin to his awesome Batman Inc/movie Batman/Rebirth suit.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Back when DiDio wanted to kill the character off, it was just because of his name, wasn't it?

This is so lame.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Back when DiDio wanted to kill the character off, it was just because of his name, wasn't it?

This is so lame.
No DiDio hates legacy characters he had tried to kill Nightwing when Bludhaven got destroyed before but writers pushed back so he lived but Nightwing city Bludhaven was destroyed regardless

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So............When is Dick Tracy gonna do his deed poll?

also marvel will change Rick Jones name to Dick Jones just for the LOL.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
This is a non issue.

If you're a comic book fan you know this'll be retconned within two years.

If you're not a comic book fan there's no reason you should care.

It's only a non issue because people will get upset and won't accept it. if they didn't, this stupid change would stick and next thing you know "Ric" would have his own movie.

Oct 27, 2017
The solicitation for Nightwing #56 (Jan. 2019) calls him "Dick", though. Pretty sure this change is just temporary until he recovers from his head wound.

The Nightwings have been picking up the slack Dick Grayson left behind, making a dent in petty crime and cleaning up the streets of Blüdhaven. But as Scarecrow's plan comes to fruition, it looks like they may have bitten off more than they can chew…putting Grayson in a position he was not prepared for. One where he may be forced to become a hero once more…

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now all we need is Teen Titans Go to do something on this.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'm fine with them using it as part of the head injury plotline. No way this sitcks though. And if they try to seriously make this change... still won't matter. The next big creative shakeup will just decide to toss it. So it's just a waste of their time.

Fans want Dick.

I have two friends named Richard, known them for ages. There's tons of Dick jokes and at least half of them come from the Richards themselves. It's just a part of the name's legacy. I'm sure it's a big reason for the decline of the name's use, but who cares. Things come and go in waves... next thing we know we will see a boom in the number of babies named Richard in 10 or so years as things continue to change once again.

Last edited:

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
You can't alter characters as old and ingrained in popular culture as this one and expect it to stick. They're welcome to try, though.

I expect Dick Grayson to still be a thing in 30 years when I'm old and grey. And Superman will still have his red underwear, too.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If they'd just have gone with "call me Rick, I really don't like being called "dick" anymore" I doubt many people would care as much as it's for "Ric". Which isn't a thing real people say.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
It's only a non issue because people will get upset and won't accept it. if they didn't, this stupid change would stick and next thing you know "Ric" would have his own movie.

If the internet influenced comics, Ms Marvel would be the most read comic book ever. We don't factor into this, it'll organically be undone by the time Doomsday Clock ends.