• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I think Luthor and Joker were executed poorly, but I think there are potentially better takes within the actors.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Yeah there's definitely a brilliant joker inside Leto. I was so damn hyped for SS :(

I wasn't a huge fan with his obsession of Harley Quinn, some of the scenes were borderline cringe.
I think Leto will come back and deliver an excellent performance under Reeves, more in line with the traditional style.

We just saw that happening to another widely criticized villain, which now feels just in order.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Do we know when exactly the two hour mandate was given? At the very start of production with Snyder, or only after Whedon came on board?

Like I'm curious what was the reasoning behind that. Did they want to keep Snyder in check from making a bloated, overly long movie? Was it done to limit the amount of Whedon reshoots/VFX work so the film could still be released on time? Or did WB execs think it'd be a massive hit and wanted to increase the amount of showings?

It seems like a lot of cool scenes ended up on the cutting room floor because of this.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I think the logic is shorter runtime means more screening means more money where an extended cut can be sold later down the road

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know when exactly the two hour mandate was given? At the very start of production with Snyder, or only after Whedon came on board?

Like I'm curious what was the reasoning behind that. Did they want to keep Snyder in check from making a bloated, overly long movie? Was it done to limit the amount of Whedon reshoots/VFX work so the film could still be released on time? Or did WB execs think it'd be a massive hit and wanted to increase the amount of showings?

It seems like a lot of cool scenes ended up on the cutting room floor because of this.
I think it was from the beginning going by the writer of the articles twitter

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
With BvS it's an odd one.

I love the movie, especially the UC. I guess I'm disappointed it didn't sit well with the rest of the world.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

When I said I hope WB doesn't react to this strongly this is what I meant...

F off with that noise.

They have themselves to blame for this. Focus on the trinity FFS... put out good movies and earn that good will. Trying to learn something from this movie might be one of the dumbest things WB tries to do, but I wouldn't past a company that has been erratic and reactionary while at the same time doing so little.

They have the trinity (well save for Affleck leaving and Batman up in the air) in a good direction. Focus on that. Grow out from the pillars of your characters, ie core JL members. Shoving Batman down our throats without giving us a Batman movie is such a short sighted and awful move.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Some drastic changes happened when the first movie starring Batman and Superman opened at $156m and had terrible reviews. Now imagine what's going to happen when the first film starring your six major characters opens at sub $100m and terrible reviews, especially when one of them just had a solo outing a few months prior and shattered a ton of records while being a critical success.

They already made the changes with Johns. That was the whole point of that and the crazy production of JL.

To ask them to make more changes now would be stupid when we haven't even seen Johns led DC Films do anything of significance.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WB is such a lost cause at this point. While they do something's right it's no wonder Thor and Black Panther will outpace Justice League.

Microsales

Oct 27, 2017
Is Geostorm the only mess up they have like the DC movies? I know King Arthur did bad but the movie ultimately came out how it was intended.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, that's not hard to do when your competition is Sony and Paramount.

Though WB are still fine this year since WW and IT made mucho dinero

They'll be using IT and WW profits to counter Geostorm, King Arthur, and a couple others, though.

Is Geostorm the only fuck up they have like the DC movies? I know King Arthur did bad but the movie ultimately came out how it was intended.

They lost something like $200m on King Arthur, IIRC. $100m for Geostorm.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I for one, am ready for the new phase. No reboot needed.

I enjoyed most of JL but I'm glad it's over and we can get Johns to really orchestrate good talent behind these next batch of films.

Solo films or crossover films, it doesn't matter. They just have to be good... ie digestible for the general audience.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad were done with Justice League. I just hope Phase 2 or whatever they call the films after Justice League goes smoothly.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh that Barry and Iris scene had a lot of potential, it looks cool even in its rough form now. I dig the Iris casting a lot too, I hope they don't get rid of Clemons.

Only thing that really needs work is Miller's feet because them things hideous smh. Es ok Miller, with cheekbones like that you where gonna take an L somewhere else on your body.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope WB really builds on Wonder Woman, she shines even in this rendition , and with all the dialogue about her being open to lead again, let her take mantle and follow through

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Most things right.

EDIT: Geostorm wasn't even really theirs, that was mostly financed by Skydance. Their fuckups this year are JL and King Arthur.

Why does WB keep doing that? At least once a year they'll have a movie that has no business having the budget... King Arthur, Kong Skull Island... it's like their asking to fail with these risky projects

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does WB keep doing that? At least once a year they'll have a movie that has no business having the budget... King Arthur, Kong Skull Island... it's like their asking to fail with these risky projects
Huh? Skull Island did okay. You can't compare that to King Arthur at all.

Both had about the same budget but Kong made 566 mil and King Arthur made 148 mil.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
WB wants to build franchises and cinematic universes. You can't do that without taking some risks.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Chewing on it, I feel so meh on Justice League. It's just there and not something I am thinking about, or want to revisit any time soon. Besides the character interactions it was mostly hollow.

That said, I don't want Warner to panic, and I don't want a reboot. I certainly don't hope they are gonna tinker with Aquaman. Moving forward I hope they'll stick to their plan of giving the directors leeway to create their visions and get strong solo films out of it.

I am still excited to see Aquaman, Shazam, Wonder Woman 2, Flashpoint and The Batman. And I'm certainly happy Justice League is over with.

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the plan moving forward. I'm hearing shit about batfleck bailing but if that's the case why
bring in Deathstroke which was his original idea for his solo Batman movie anyway? Also why ditch this set up when we haven't even gotten to Darkseid yet ?

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the plan moving forward. I'm hearing shit about batfleck bailing but if that's the case why
bring in Deathstroke which was his original idea for his solo Batman movie anyway? Also why ditch this set up when we haven't even gotten to Darkseid yet ?
They have no plan. They react to the fans and the BO and make it up as they go along. That's why there's 20+ rumored DCEU movies.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chewing on it, I feel so meh on Justice League. It's just there and not something I am thinking about, or want to revisit any time soon. Besides the character interactions it was mostly hollow.

That said, I don't want Warner to panic, and I don't want a reboot. I certainly don't hope they are gonna tinker with Aquaman. Moving forward I hope they'll stick to their plan of giving the directors leeway to create their visions and get strong solo films out of it.

I am still excited to see Aquaman, Shazam, Wonder Woman 2, Flashpoint and The Batman. And I'm certainly happy Justice League is over with.
I agree with you.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've noticed that the two best reviewed DCEU movies are Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. Both origin movies. Wonder if that's just a coincidence.
I've also noticed that Wonder Woman had no production problems as far as I know and the other movies did. Everything from script, to actors getting injured, studio meddling. And the end product shows, even though I Love BvS and MoS, Wonder Woman was better received And was far more successful. So I guess the lesson is do origin movies only and stay out of the way.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Can James Wan leave if WB tries to change his movie like WB is known to do?
I mean he can, but it wouldn't be in his best interest.

WB only messes with the films if they are testing horribly. They aren't doing this for fun.

I mean let's all stop kidding ourselves and call a spade a spade. Wonder Woman was untouched because it was testing well. Guess what all the movies the WB "messed with" all had in common?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Are no further solo movies confirmed?

Aquaman, Wonder Woman 2, Shazam, Suicide Squad 2, and The Batman are confirmed.

The rest is up in the air, but Flashpoint, Batgirl, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens, Deathstroke, and maybe Green Lantern Corps have a decent chance of happening. Many are Batman-related, and the other two feel like they're closer to actual projects. I feel they'll probably also push Cyborg through because you don't do a whole slate of films without one black lead.

Everything else feels way too early.

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
I still at least think some of these announced film projects will eventually be Netflix style, lower-budget films exclusive to the new DC streaming site next year. Probably won't be confirmed until later next year, but unless the big budget tentpoles, they could get into production and be lower-risk investments for WB's if there's a solid monetization program set up. My guess is Nightwing, Batgirl, Deathstroke, and even a Cyborg movie would be possibilities for such an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.