Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, wow, yeah. High Castle is definitely a big, big step up.

Trying not to get discouraged but that was a bit of a reality check.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a great run right now. Still only two health flasks (working on buying the 3rd), and I've still only bought the ice bow blueprint. I made it past the Clock Tower boss for the second time and he absolutely melted this time. Rolling with pyrotechnics (dropped off a boss, I love it! Need the blueprint), just got ice crossbows off that boss, and two turrets. Lots of synergy between the items. I also found the Hokuto's Bow blueprint which I really want to unlock. As an added bonus, I was able to give the blacksmith about 70 cells this run.

Going to take a break for a bit because I know I'm probably going to die very soon and I don't want the run to be over yet haha

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
How does the game save?

Let's say I'm in a middle of a run and for whatever reason have to leave.

Do I have to start from zero or is there some auto save going on?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the game save?

Let's say I'm in a middle of a run and for whatever reason have to leave.

Do I have to start from zero or is there some auto save going on?

It saves automatically when you exit the game, you can then resume from the same spot, but obviously if you die you'll have to restart.

I finally defeated the last boss yesterday. I think I would get much better if I could easily repeat the fight, it became much easier after I got more familiar with the boss's patterns.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Axe swinging fuckers in sepulcher just 100 to 0'd me. Was on a great run too. FUCK.

Cursed chests are 100% worth it, the few extra scrolls you get along the way largely compensate having to play it safe a bit.
Do you have time to get the timed doors when doing cursed chests?
Shit, heart racing like crazy, got the fucker on cell 1, dunno if I want to try cell 2
Definite route to optimise DPS is promenade > ramparts > stilt village > sepulcher. Max amount of scrolls with timed rooms this way
I figured this out a few days ago and it's a bit of a bummer, because I always end up taking this route now, and I enjoy some of the other areas more. Forgotten Sanctuary is my fav but the rewards are worse. Forgotten Sepulcher has those double locked rooms with cells too.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Because I'm sacrificing ice arrows to be able to do that. And you can still fail at doing it, unlike ice arrows.
The best runs where I beat HotK or have gotten furthest on 1-cell runs have been with an Assault Shield/survival build with a colorless main-weapon.

Just by carrying a shield you get a damage "bubble" lasting 0.5 sec everytime you take damage (at the cost of the "rally" effect only giving you 65% life back.) Freeze is great, but don't sleep on the shields. :)
Assault Shield also gives you tons of mobility, and Rampart is really strong (3 seconds invincibility on parry!).

Been doing the daily challenge for a few days now and after I beat it it keeps saying 4 more until a new unlock. Is it bugged or something?

On Xbox
I've got the same problem on Switch. Did you unlock 1 cell mode? Trying to figure out if it's a bug in changing difficulties and doing dailies. I've done 3 and it says "4" to next reward as well, when I should be getting the next one in 2. :<

Last edited:

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Was on the last level, made it really far into it I'm sure. Took a doorway that led directly into 4 enemies who one shot me. I had a rare blueprint too.

edit: Ya I just watched a video, I was at the very end. Had both keys. Was about two seconds away from turning in the rare Knockback Shield blueprint. Blahh

Last edited:

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger because I can't decide between PS4 and Switch versions. I've heard Switch version has technical issues but are they bad enough to give up the ability to play handheld?
Some advice would be appreciated.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I figured this out a few days ago and it's a bit of a bummer, because I always end up taking this route now, and I enjoy some of the other areas more. Forgotten Sanctuary is my fav but the rewards are worse. Forgotten Sepulcher has those double locked rooms with cells too.
I think the first cursed chest is at ramparts anyway, don't see any at promenade. Since you have way too much time for these anyway 15, 18 and 22 or something) it's not an issue
I wish they'd put timed doors in every level so that every route is good

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why would I want to open a cursed chest? Could I get something good?

Shin kojima it's defo ok to play on switch

Marengo

Shinra Employee Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 28, 2017
Quick question regarding cursed chests; does the curse only end when you defeat the required amount of enemies? I'm wondering if you can ignore enemies and rush to the exit when cursed, but I assume the curse will carry over to the next biome.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Axe swinging fuckers in sepulcher just 100 to 0'd me. Was on a great run too. FUCK.

Cursed chests are 100% worth it, the few extra scrolls you get along the way largely compensate having to play it safe a bit.

I feel the opposite. I almost always get shit from the chest so I stopped taking them.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the opposite. I almost always get shit from the chest so I stopped taking them.
You get a scroll and good money. In total you'd get about 5 scrolls over a run which doubles your dps. And money is very important once you start upgrading items to ++.

Curse even carries on to bosses so be careful when you take them.

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing with the Doubled mod. Feels so good having tons of money and rekking 10 enemies at the same time with traps and grenades.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
How hard is this game? So I understand it is perma death, but am I right in saying that if you do die you have to go back to the start but you keep abilties you have picked up in previous runs?

Oct 27, 2017

You absolutely have time to get timed doors and cursed chests. The only time door in the game that is kind of hard to hit is the first one. After that it's smooth sailing. If you run into a cursed chest late in a level run , you may want to avoid it if you don't think there are ten enemies left.

I speed through the first level , grabbing the upgrades and avoiding the sewer path and usually get 2 stat upgrades and full weapons before I leave . I wouldn't leave the first level any later than 1:40 because sometimes the first time gate will be a bit or a run. I do pretty much the same thing on the second level( only hitting enemies if they are in my path) but I explore every side path. After that you can clear out the subsequent levels and get every timed door .

Dina

Nov 4, 2017
I'm only a few hours in, and imI having trouble with the boss at Insufferable Crypt. Mostly because I've been focused on arrows + turrets, and that thing doesn't hug the floor for long. What's the safest strategy to overcome this? I haven't collected that many blueprints and mostly trying to get the Spider Rune at this point.

Any tips?

I used Electric Whip to damage the boss, a dot-like secondary like Firebrand for damage inbetween and used a Wolf Trap + Sinew of Crossbow traps for most of the damage on the tentacles.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is this game? So I understand it is perma death, but am I right in saying that if you do die you have to go back to the start but you keep abilties you have picked up in previous runs?

For the most part when you die you start again with nothing. However, as you play, you find and unlock blueprints with the collector who resides between levels. Some of those confer permanent upgrades (e.g. an extra health potion per level), whereas unlocking weapon blueprints mean that you can find that item during a future run so, as time goes on, the breadth of items you will find grows enormously. There are also runes that are unlocked permanently, these unlock routes in a metroid vania style.

It's hard to say how difficult the game is, but I'd say it's a relatively difficult game by default which can scale to be much harder. On the other hand, and this is the key thing, the feeling of progress is so constant despite the perma-death, and it makes death less painful. One other factor is that, compared to some games, the game encourages you to speed through levels once you become better. I go back to the beginning and don't feel a sense of dread that I have to go through the early parts again because, actually, slaughtering easy enemies as fast as possible is fun too.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
For the most part when you die you start again with nothing. However, as you play, you find and unlock blueprints with the collector who resides between levels. Some of those confer permanent upgrades (e.g. an extra health potion per level), whereas unlocking weapon blueprints mean that you can find that item during a future run so, as time goes on, the breadth of items you will find grows enormously. There are also runes that are unlocked permanently, these unlock routes in a metroid vania style.

It's hard to say how difficult the game is, but I'd say it's a relatively difficult game by default which can scale to be much harder. On the other hand, and this is the key thing, the feeling of progress is so constant despite the perma-death, and it makes death less painful. One other factor is that, compared to some games, the game encourages you to speed through levels once you become better. I go back to the beginning and don't feel a sense of dread that I have to go through the early parts again because, actually, slaughtering easy enemies as fast as possible is fun too.

Thanks, really helpful. I'll have a think and may well buy this. Having recently finished Hollow Knight and Chasm I'm looking for another game of a similar ilk.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I swear the Hunter's Grenade is a bad luck charm. Nearly every time I take it with me the run goes absolutely terribly and ends well before the area I need to get to. Today I finally did manage to get to the Graveyard, used the grenade, and then instantly one-shot the elite enemy with a crit from Valmont's Whip. On one hand it was extremely cool but I was annoyed to lose the grenade without getting the blueprint.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finally past Black Bridge, am at the Clock Tower right now, really feel like I am starting to hit it on all cylinders.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, for some reason, 0 cell runs now have double cells for me. Does that happen after beating cell 1 ?

Also I would HIGHLY recommend people put cells in the rare forge (the one after bosses), it really makes your items much better.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017

Would you say it's as difficult as Bloodborne, Dark Souls and maybe Hollow Knight? (the latter I find a few degrees easier than BB and DS).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Would you say it's as difficult as Bloodborne, Dark Souls and maybe Hollow Knight? (the latter I find a few degrees easier than BB and DS).

I haven't played Hollow Knight. I don't think Dead Cells is as hard as the Souls games, no. It's in the same ball park perhaps, but you make progress more frequently in Dead Cells whereas pushing through those first hours in a Souls game can be completely gruelling. It's almost impossible to not progress, at least a little bit, on a Dead Cells run. That's definitely not true of a life in BB/DS.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I died and lost literally everything. And back to the start. Also lost the one blueprint I had. How does progression work on this game? I thought this was gonna be better and/or different than your average roguelike.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I died and lost literally everything. And back to the start. Also lost the one blueprint I had. How does progression work on this game? I thought this was gonna be better and/or different than your average roguelike.
Cells you spend remain spent (to unlock stuff). Blueprints get saved as long as you visit the cells guy.
You still start from scratch at every run though, there's almost nothing actually permanent.

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
Hmm.. where the hell I am supposed to go in the Toxic sewers? The area is big!

**double post sorry.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat HotK last night. Can't decide if I want to keep going or move onto Okami HD (for the first time).

What a cool game, man..

You have to get to the end of the area where you found the blueprint for it to be "saved", and then use cells to unlock the weapon in the blueprint.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
You get a scroll and good money. In total you'd get about 5 scrolls over a run which doubles your dps. And money is very important once you start upgrading items to ++.

Curse even carries on to bosses so be careful when you take them.

Good point on the double damage. I wasn't considering the big picture.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger because I can't decide between PS4 and Switch versions. I've heard Switch version has technical issues but are they bad enough to give up the ability to play handheld?
Not at all, man. It can jump here and there, but ultimately it depends on how much of a nitpicker you are. For me it was completely fine, and playing handheld was CLUTCH. Not to mention they're already working on a fix.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is fine. The slowdown only happens when there's a ton of shit exploding or going nuts, and it's not even that bad. Feels like when shit would get real back in classic games.

Especially coming from MegaMan X collection, this is nothing lol.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the instructions on the hunter's grenade and sat there scratching my head wondering why they thought this was a good idea. Surely they could have simplified the process a little. How about the grenade turns the enemy into an elite and you just fucking kill it for the blueprint instead?

I really dislike how this game unlocks new items for you. So many ways to do it... but having an extremely low drop chance on select enemies was probably the worst way.

Could have unlocked them with challenges. Or at a blueprint store for some kind of currency (cells, gold, etc). Always award a random blueprint or 2 for killing a boss.

I just said fuck it and installed the 33% blueprint drop chance mod. I want to play this game and have fun with different loadouts, but I'm not grinding my ass off or messing with that hunter's grenade to do it.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I read the instructions on the hunter's grenade and sat there scratching my head wondering why they thought this was a good idea. Surely they could have simplified the process a little. How about the grenade turns the enemy into an elite and you just fucking kill it for the blueprint instead?

I really dislike how this game unlocks new items for you. So many ways to do it... but having an extremely low drop chance on select enemies was probably the worst way.

Could have unlocked them with challenges. Or at a blueprint store for some kind of currency (cells, gold, etc). Always award a random blueprint or 2 for killing a boss.

I just said fuck it and installed the 33% blueprint drop chance mod. I want to play this game and have fun with different loadouts, but I'm not grinding my ass off or messing with that hunter's grenade to do it.

Feel ya on that. It's been the only long term change that I've questioned. Back when it dropped in EA, I had yet to beat the game, so I never wanted to hamstring myself by spending the gold up front and not having two deployable skills for most of my run. On paper it seems alright? Like some demon spawn of pokemon or something. But in practice I rarely do hunter blueprint runs. The game is at it's best when it doesn't encourage runs like that.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

This is one of those games you slowly put dozens of hours into over time.

I want to unlock everything.

Yup, the hunter's grenade is terrible and the RNG is probably a little too low on some items. It's not the best system.

Unfortunately, the game seems to penalize you harshly for unlocking everything. I want to play with new stuff, but also don't want to reduce my chance of getting good items to damn near nothing. Maybe I'll start a second save file or something.