stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm trying to beat the slayer in the ossuary, but I just can't do it. I feel like my character is just too weak. I've only beaten the first boss so far, and I've only barely been able to do it a few times. The area after the first boss always wrecks me. Do I need to get better, or does my character get somehow stronger? I'm at 2 health flasks, a few weapon unlocks and a few power unlocks. I try to pick up every scroll and invest in damage and health, and upgrade my weapons to +, but I still get wrecked.

Trap + Turret + Freeze.

Done.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading posts about "upgrading weapons using $." Will there be a spot to upgrade weapons at some point or are we referring to replacing weapons with better loot of the same type?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading posts about "upgrading weapons using $." Will there be a spot to upgrade weapons at some point or are we referring to replacing weapons with better loot of the same type?
The forge dude upgrades base weapons to +, + to ++ and ++ to S (but can't upgrade a weapon you already upgraded, you can do the upgrading just once)
++ weapons give +1 to one of their stats, S weapons give +2 to their stats (idk if it can be 1/1 split if the weapon has 2 colors)

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

A full run is about 40 minutes. But you'll do dozens of runs before you actually beat it. And then there's 4 difficulties after normal if you want.

Max the stat that fits your playstyle. In general that will be bruta or tactics, I'd recommend tactics to get comfortable with monsters and bosses for a while.
Just max it really. If you get a scroll that is red/green and you're tactics, pick whichever gives most HP.

Broadsword is pretty bad because it's sooooo slow, leaving you exposed.

Oh. Guess its more a roguelike. Still on my list anyway, it look fun.

Thanks.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man... I did it. Killed the final boss in the same run where I got the spider rune and pyrotechnics. This game is amazing.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
I think people are overstating the slow down on switch, granted I only play in handheld mode, I have both the switch and Xbox one version and PC. Side note, the freeze weapon and trap turret combo seems to be the best in this game.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had a killer run through High Peak Castle. Got a sweet main weapon drop off the Clock boss, legendary version of thing that puts you behind the enemy for the final bit of a combo. First time using it as never had the blue print.

THEN! Killed Hand Of The King very very sloppily on my first try. Used all my flasks and was a couple of hits away from death but I did it. DELIGHTED. Great game.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a great run. Went tactics. Frost blast as my primary attack. Rampart shield for damage reduction (because tactics can't get much of that). 1 tornado and 1 crossbow turrent (still haven't unlocked heavy). I kill HotK with a health flask charge still remaining. I think "damn, I'm not going to top that, so I guess I'll stop."

Figured I'd just check what the starting equipment would be for my next run and.... just kept on playing.

That's Dead Cells, man.

That said, the run where I went Brutality and killed HotK felt a little easier because of the 20-30% damage reduction on the 2 grenades. I feel like I need to use a shield with high damage reduction when going tactics because I just die too fast otherwise.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I think people are overstating the slow down on switch, granted I only play in handheld mode, I have both the switch and Xbox one version and PC. Side note, the freeze weapon and trap turret combo seems to be the best in this game.
i only play in handheld mode and havent had any slow down but i have had an occassional split second frame freeze. Its doesn't happen enough to bother me but i notice it. But yeah aside from that i havent experienced any slow down and runs very smooth for me. Having the game on my lunch break at work is awsome. I know alot of games are "perfect for switch" but this game especially really is perfect for switch

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Might be a YMMV kind of thing. The devs did come out and mention the issues though.. Patch coming November.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Fun trick

Using the assault shield, quickly tap parry followed by roll. If you do it right, you'll get the combined effects and distance of both. Handy for covering a lot of ground very quickly. It can also push enemies a good distance sometimes to shove them off edges (sometimes it doesn't shove at all, kind of inconsistent)

You can see it being used here (anywhere past 12:30):

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to the clock tower boss but I have the fucking treasure curse on my ass so it is one hit death, fuck my life.

anybody manage to beat him without getting hit, I have an ice grenade a wolf trap and A broadsword, but with only one hit and I'm dead I'm pretty much fucked. This was my best run and I had to open that fucking chest

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Made it to the HotK for the third time. Was doing massive damage, but I really got to stop panicking when I get low on health. Had it at 30% health and even had two health flask uses left. Will definitely have 4 by the time I reach that again.

I'd like to say the visuals get a bit too hectic in that fight for my slow brain, but everything looks telegraphed enough that I shouldn't be getting hit too much if I really stopped to consider every attack and learn to dodge/block at the right time.

Got a feeling I'll beat it next time!

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So I just got the game and died at that concierge hand blade dude. Is that the first place people die?

He is the first boss, so if you are starting out, he is a considerable Roadblock until you can get better gear. Soon enough he will become a chump to you.

Today i managed to trip into a Turret build, all i had to do was dodge like crazy and spam Ice Hadouken and let the Turret do it's thing... made short work of the Clocktower boss, brought me all the way to the hand of the king. Nice.

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
Last week I convinced Nintendo Australia to refund me (well, eshop credit) for my Switch version of Dead Cells. Immediately bought it on PC. Buttery smooth.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Had a great build going with a legendary Endless Quiver and a legendary Hokuto's Bow. Took me all the way through the Timekeeper, who I basically roflstomped. Then I did something dumb and swapped the Quiver for a much higher damage Assassin's Dagger. Should've paid more attention to the people talking about the Castle difficulty spike, safe damage >>> high damage there. Was summarily wrecked.

Ok I like the combat so far, what sticks with you when you die?

You lose all your cells and any gold over the threshold you've unlocked, as well as any progress (maps are re-randomized and refilled with enemies) and any blueprints you were carrying. Your weapons go away too. Everything else (runes, turned-in blueprints, progress towards unlocking) you keep.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I spent most of the night dying to an Elite Slayer. Trying to get the Heavy Turret Blueprint and I feel too weak by the time I get to the Prison.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, got to the second boss for the first time and basically blew through everything to the final boss but didn't quite make it. Had a ridiculous legendary lightning bolt that had insane crit damage on top of 2 turrets that stacked a ton of damage along with poison and burn. Final boss was pretty good at busting the turrets and as strong as the lightning was, I got way too greedy trying to reach the crit damage and kept taking hits when I shouldn't.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Dang, got to the second boss for the first time and basically blew through everything to the final boss but didn't quite make it. Had a ridiculous legendary lightning bolt that had insane crit damage on top of 2 turrets that stacked a ton of damage along with poison and burn. Final boss was pretty good at busting the turrets and as strong as the lightning was, I got way too greedy trying to reach the crit damage and kept taking hits when I shouldn't.

Yup, that's really the core struggle of the game: avoiding those extra hits you take when you're getting greedy.

I finally finished 2 cells and I know I'll never finish 3 cells considering how miserable I found 2. It's just finding the beefiest turrets you can and never exposing yourself to any danger, if possible.

Game made it all the way up to 2 on my goty list though, right behind God of War. I'd pay a lot of money for new levels and features right now. Two of my favorite games of the year are roguelikes (Dead Cells and Prey Mooncrash) so nothing makes sense in games anymore considering rogue-anything is just behind mobile on the list of words to push me away from a game.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Beat my first run today. Prioritizing all one one color of items (did purples) and traps definitely helped out.

Will delve back more into it this weekend. Nice to see Cell 1 changed up enemies , makes the levels feel fresh

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Random way to think about things, but does this game have the best reviews and feedback PER MEGABYTE of any game in the last few years?

All modern games seem to be 2 gig+ even for pixel art type shenanigans. It's 558MBs on Xbox...

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
My Favorite bow of all time:
Arrows Pierce All Targets
+100% damage vs burning targets
Arrows leave a burning trail

Sure, I'll take double damage for free.

Made it to the clock tower boss but I have the fucking treasure curse on my ass so it is one hit death, fuck my life.

anybody manage to beat him without getting hit, I have an ice grenade a wolf trap and A broadsword, but with only one hit and I'm dead I'm pretty much fucked. This was my best run and I had to open that fucking chest

One trick for managing chests like that is to leave enemies alive as you move through the level. leaving the least threatening enemies around (usually towards the start of the level) that you can come back and kill later on makes it much easier to take cursed chests.

The Clock Tower has some archers and if you can avoid aggroing all the little assassin dudes you can do ok for stuff to kill.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone's preferred route to take to get to HotK?

I recently unlocked the final rune, so I only have a couple more areas I haven't explored at all and some I want to revist to fully explore. Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on their path experience.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Survivability continues to give health much longer than the other two stats. It will of course also increase your damage with survivability-scaling weapons, but those are generally hard to find and hard to use well. Usually when I go survivability I end up relying on at least a couple of golden (colorless) items

Unlocking also allows them to show up at other points during runs. From treasure chests, random drops, item shops, etc.

There are a number of things you can work toward
  1. Getting all the runes that open up secrets and new paths. Each rune you get (starting with the vines) opens up a path that leads to the next rune. Some of them are also useful for general maneuverability and combat, so it's good to get them all.
  2. Permanent upgrades at the collector. Health flask to 2 charges should be one of the first things you go for. 3 charges is also nice to get pretty soon. 4 is necessary for when you move up in difficulty level, but is expensive. The random starting equipment upgrades give you more variety at the start of the game, plus the random equipment will almost always be better than the basic starter items. Shop upgrades are very nice later on, but not too important right away.
  3. The blacksmith. He's the big guy that shows up after each of the first two bosses, and allows you to upgrade your chance of finding higher quality items. So instead of needing to pay money to upgrade an item to "+" quality, you can find it that way and then have the option to upgrade it to ++. It costs 50 cells for each 5% chance, and a total of 1000 cells to get a 100% chance of + quality. It's good to spend some portion of your cells here as soon as you can.
  4. Unlocking items. Gives you more variety and more options to work with. In particular, some of the Mutations like Sadism and Support are really nice to have. For equipment, definitely unlock the Ice Bow if you find that blueprint. Fire Grenade and Double Crossb-o-matic are two other good ones that you'll probably find early since they come from common enemies.
Thanks for the detailed explanation :-)
I am currently grinding towards random weapons and flasks, as I can't go much farther than 2 areas and can't find new unlocks yet.

gizio

Oct 28, 2017
HOTK is finally defeated (4th try), i had a ton of health (nearly 11k hp), a sword, a shield (never used one before in my loadout!) and 2 turrets, i love this game, it's the first roguelike title in my gaming career, glad to appreciate a new genre. Money well spent i dare to say

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I recently unlocked the final rune, so I only have a couple more areas I haven't explored at all and some I want to revist to fully explore. Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on their path experience.
The normal route to the bridge boss, then go through Stilt Village and Sepulcher. If you grab the timed doors, that route gives the max number of scrolls. I'm getting bored of it though.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The normal route to the bridge boss, then go through Stilt Village and Sepulcher. If you grab the timed doors, that route gives the max number of scrolls. I'm getting bored of it though.
Would you recommend Sepulcher over Clock Tower for scrolls alone, or the difficulty ties to your play style better? I've been to both once, and I recently went to Sepulcher to see how it was and having two bows there was tough with the darkness. I also came from Graveyard.

Oct 27, 2017

Promenade>prison depths>ossuary>Black bridge>stilt village>clock tower> high peak castle

This is the path i've been taking up until beating HotK the other day. I've been very trap/tactics heavy in my approach and this path is light work for me at this point.

I hate sepulcher because of the light mechanic as it just promotes running through the level and making silly mistakes and conjunctivitis isn't really threatened by traps at all.

Plus stilted village is my most favorite biome in the game

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
Ia anyone else in love with the frost blast animation like I am? I seriously spam it like crazy just cus it looks so baddass to me haha