• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I liked Logan, but I completely agree that the 3rd act/ending absolutely sucked and tanked it for me so I'm with you on this
It's a tonally very strange movie. It tries to sell itself as serious, realistic, similar to a western, far from what makes comics "ridiculous", and suddenly the big villain of the movie is an evil clone of Logan. There's also the whole "soda caused mutant genocide" thing. Like, those are two ideas that would fit in a Deadpool movie, not what Logan wanted to be.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting a fairly fun popcorn flick. Nothing amazing and the premise deserves a better director than Levy, though he's workmanlike in his approach he's like Webb of the Holland Spider-Man films - just nothing special.

Trailer was pretty good. Agree with comments about it being filtered - colours seem muted. Wolverines yellow and Deadpools red should 'pop' and they really don't.

Don't expect it to beat Deadpool 1 as a movie - that thing was a tight, leanly directed piece that straddled the fine line between emotional narrative with a decent progression and Reynolds' brand of humour.

Jackman and Reynolds seem to see this as a labour of love and they've earned enough goodwill to enjoy it with them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I guess it does work as a teaser in the sense that it doesn't really give anything away but tonally the trailer was very odd. It was like it was trying to combine the lightness of Deadpool with the seriousness of Logan, often in the same scene and in the brief snippets shown it stands out.

As I say though it is only a teaser so I'm not assuming that it's in any way indicative of the final film.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, definitely disagree with every word of this. We even had a thread just recently filled with people noting how there really isn't much there past the returning characters, and they were right.

(My post isn't about you, I am just using it as a reference to make a broader point).

That thread encapsulated everything that frustrates me about superhero film discussions on Era. Some people dislike the genre (or Marvel in particular) so much that they will not acknowledge anything positive about them under any circumstances. We love to talk about media literacy and we make fun of people who miss obvious themes and arcs, yet Era's own media literacy flies out the window as soon as a superhero film is mentioned.

This phenomenon has never been more evident than in the discussions about No Way Home. In my opinion, it is blatantly obvious that some posters decided that the film was just fan service before watching even a single second of it. Despite the film's main story and theme being quite strong, despite the fact that the multiverse characters were not just cameos but they were integrated into the story in a way that supported and furthered its message, some people will still bang the drum that the film was just fan service. So any sort of discussion about the film's actual flaws and issues becomes impossible.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this movie, but trailer wasn't that great in my opinion and expected better than this.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting to enjoy this as much as the first two (particularly the second), pretty much the only MCU movie I'm looking forward to at the moment.
It's a tonally very strange movie. It tries to sell itself as serious, realistic, similar to a western, far from what makes comics "ridiculous", and suddenly the big villain of the movie is an evil clone of Logan. There's also the whole "soda caused mutant genocide" thing. Like, those are two ideas that would fit in a Deadpool movie, not what Logan wanted to be.
Yeah, just how dour and self-serious it was with what seemed to be contempt for the very concept of superhero comics, the evil clone Logan out of nowhere, having that family on the farm killed off to show how evil the villains were, mass market GMO foods being what wiped out nearly all of the mutants... very much agreed in hating that movie.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer wasn't as good as I expected. But I'm still excited so still planning on going to the theaters for this.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is the bald girl that ridiculous Xavier's evil secret twin plotline? Please tell me they are not touching that garbage.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The MCU needing to be saved is some of the most hyperbolic shit I've read on the internet. Especially when the movies in general have a high batting average.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
(My post isn't about you, I am just using it as a reference to make a broader point).

That thread encapsulated everything that frustrates me about superhero film discussions on Era. Some people dislike the genre (or Marvel in particular) so much that they will not acknowledge anything positive about them under any circumstances. We love to talk about media literacy and we make fun of people who miss obvious themes and arcs, yet Era's own media literacy flies out the window as soon as a superhero film is mentioned.

This phenomenon has never been more evident than in the discussions about No Way Home. In my opinion, it is blatantly obvious that some posters decided that the film was just fan service before watching even a single second of it. Despite the film's main story and theme being quite strong, despite the fact that the multiverse characters were not just cameos but they were integrated into the story in a way that supported and furthered its message, some people will still bang the drum that the film was just fan service. So any sort of discussion about the film's actual flaws and issues becomes impossible.

I genuinely believe NWH has one of the worst scripts in the entire MCU up to this point. It's a feverish mess of ideas, none of which actually work in isolation, burdened by an overabundance of characters and an absolute dearth of characterization. Yes, all of the actors (except Tobey) are having fun, but that doesn't matter if all of their personal arcs could be contained within 2 minutes of screen time. And so much of the movie is predicated on every single character from Peter to Strange to the villains being gigantic idiots.

It's just an extremely messy film, and despite waiting a full year after release to watch it so I wouldn't be prone to snap-hating it due to my frustration with nerd hype culture, I found it one of the least enjoyable films in that universe I've seen in a long, long time. It's not Quantumania-level awful - the presence of Molina and Dafoe is enough to keep it out of that pit - but it's not that far above it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely believe NWH has one of the worst scripts in the entire MCU up to this point. It's a feverish mess of ideas, none of which actually work in isolation, burdened by an overabundance of characters and an absolute dearth of characterization. Yes, all of the actors (except Tobey) are having fun, but that doesn't matter if all of their personal arcs could be contained within 2 minutes of screen time. And so much of the movie is predicated on every single character from Peter to Strange to the villains being gigantic idiots.

It's just an extremely messy film, and despite waiting a full year after release to watch it so I wouldn't be prone to snap-hating it due to my frustration with nerd hype culture, I found it one of the least enjoyable films in that universe I've seen in a long, long time. It's not Quantumania-level awful - the presence of Molina and Dafoe is enough to keep it out of that pit - but it's not that far above it.

It is undoubtedly messy and it has various other issues, some of which can be attributed to covid messing up the MCU's release schedule and forcing extensive rewrites and/or troubled shooting. We can talk about all of that, I would be very happy to. But it is not going to happen as long as people pretend that there was no story, there were no characters and the whole film is just fan service, as the bare minimum for a meaningful discussion is good faith from all involved parties.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo

For me it was easily one of the best MCU experiences I had on theaters together with endgame

Such a BLAST of a movie throughout

If Deadpool 3 is anywhere near the fun of that damn I am in for a treat!

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

Well said Alexandros

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
only note

change 'trust me kid, i'm no hero' to 'trust me bub, i'm no hero'

hugh jackman looks simultaneously incredible for someone 20 years younger (let alone 55) and more perfect for the role than ever.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bingo

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
… then don't watch it. Or wait for reviews. Nobody will ever be able to explain to me how wasting 2 hours arguing with strangers on the internet about a movie is more valuable than spending two hours watching the movie. Change my mind.

Then maybe you can explain to me why a thread full of "wow this looks great" is valuable but one comment of "huh they're not really selling me here" is problematic enough for people to argue with me about it.

I decided that it was mostly fan service after watching it, not before. And I didn't even dislike it, but one fan service movie goes a long way for me.

MadJosh04

Banned
Nov 9, 2022

A+ post

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Shawn Levy did say recently that they don't consider it Deadpool 3.

nerdist.com

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE Is Not DEADPOOL 3, Says Director Shawn Levy

Wade and Logan, together again at last. Here is everything we know about their reunion in the upcoming MCU film Deadpool & Wolverine.
wow. well if that is the case then I guess from a narrative standpoint, it's more like a BvS situation since that itself wasn't the sequel to MoS even though it was the following film. that means that even though on paper/contractual purposes this may be Deadpool 3, by that logic it would also have to be Wolverine 4.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I just hope the keep the mask off Hugh for 90% of the movie. His Wolverine is basically it's own thing now and he doesn't wear a mask. If this is the last time we see him don't obscure his face with a goofy mask.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
This looks amazing. First MCU movie I'm hyped for in a long time. Might actually go see this in the theaters which I never do.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Agreed in every way.

At this point we're at the "Bitch eating crackers" stage of super hero film discourse.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Reynolds and Jackman are gonna carry this movie for sure, but why is it so ugly?
Like there's absolutely no attempt whatsoever at doing some proper cinematography or something

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. I've never seen so many thin-skinned personalities in one place. If you say you don't like an MCU product the fans act like you've insulted their mother, and art suddenly becomes objective in their eyes, dissenting opinions become 'wrong'. As someone who greatly enjoyed phase 1 to 3, I barely post in MCU threads anymore because of the predictable sniping at any opinion that isn't overwhelming praise.
There is plenty of valid crap to complain about with the MCU, but you don't think it is ridiculous to go into a thread and see a bunch of people claiming they think a thing looks bad/dumb because of things that are unfounded

I wholeheartedly agree. It is even more frustrating when people's complaints are founded on false beliefs that only serve to give them a vehicle to rag on these films without any further critical insight.

Like, I'm not happy with the MCU right now, but I'm not judging an entire 2 hour+ film on carefully curated scenes from fairly early scenes meant to obscure the full scope of the film, or look at the use of profanity as some sign of the worst when the trailers for previous Deadpool films have been exactly like this before.

I don't want people to give this film overwhelming praise, but to at least look at what they are saying with a more critical lens, or do a little research before confidently saying false information?

I really feel like we could be having great discussions about how concerning it is to see Vanessa potentially sidelined again, or there is a very strong lack of supporting female characters on Deadpool's side at the moment, the cinematography or any number of issues that are present from the trailers alone.

MadDogTannen

Feb 21, 2023
I guess this has already been asked, but is this the same Wolverine from the Logan movie or a different version?

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that it seems like everything we are seeing is from the first 20-30 minutes of the movie. I do not need to watch anymore trailers.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
As someone who grew up well passed that era, seeing Jackman in the costume doesn't really do much for me (the fact that it took so long to get a costumed Wolverine at all is dumb though).

The mask is what makes the costume.