• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Death Note special one-shot (essentially a special, sole chapter in the Death Note world) is out in English, and it's free to read on the Viz media website.

EP3BCuVX4AAnmdh.jpg

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I remember when Shonen Jump many years ago did a Special One Shot for Rurouni Kenshin called Yahiko no Sakabatou

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The ending's kind of bullshit, but it was a fun read and good overall. Thought they were bringing Light back from the dead using only his memories or something at the start.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought this was about the original chapter that they did way back when, before moving on with the full series. I remember reading it in How to Read.

I'll have to give this a read later. Wonder if it's actually a prelude to something.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just got done reading this a few minutes ago and it was really fun. Minoru has a nice design and I like how he went about his plan, thought it was pretty cool especially its final step. Happy about them making this.

I would've preferred if he survived, doesn't feel fair that he died for a rule the Shinigami King added after he'd already succeeded in his plan. And Trump didn't even take the notebook so technically it feels like the buyer/seller thing shouldn't come into play

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how fucking awful Trump would be on Twitter making everyone believe had the Death Note.

"I CAN KILL ANYONE! I'M LITERALLY KILLING PEOPLE ON FIFTH AVENUE RIGHT NOW"

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
The writing is bad as always, but it was amusing. I wonder if it means we're getting a proper sequel soon.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dump deus ex machina. If it not Oba Tsukumi but new writer it will not pass first editor.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I was half-expecting everyone receiving the money to die and it to cause WWIII because everyone would assume Trump was responsible*. The ending is otherwise pretty contrived, and it feels like a letdown where Ohba realized he had come up with too good of a plan and needed to add a wrinkle that wasn't the dude's fault to make him fail.
Otherwise it was neat, and I think Death Note as one-shots works better than anything else outside of the first half of the original series.

(*Speaking of which, it's funny how when Trump appears in Japanese media he's conveyed as a big loud boastful jerk, but like, a normal big loud boastful jerk. The fact that he's actually an extremely weird guy who can barely speak English coherently without preparation, has all kind of strange tics and affectations, and seems unable to maintain a train of thought without randomly going off on strange and untrue tangents, is presumably lost in translation when suffering translators have to convert his statements into Japanese.)

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this. They didn't repeat the old plot and put a new twist on things. That said the way the main character comes out of things is kinda bullshit.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Really enjoyed that! Loved seeing someone completely different to Light and what they'd do with it.

I feel like the added rule after he started his plan was bullshit though.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great one shot for the point of the ending.

Sucks that the MC dies though, but it further emphasizes the point that a person who does good gets screwed over, whilst another who values themself more just reaps the benefits.

Really enjoyed that! Loved seeing someone completely different to Light and what they'd do with it.

I feel like the added rule after he started his plan was bullshit though.

That's what ultimately bugs me. Minoru should have been exempt since what he did was before the rule was added.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
finished it
was pretty decent i suppose
i hope the 2 mangakas return to bakuman, their best work imo

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
That was hilarious. Not a fan of the ending though, but otherwise a good One Shot.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
That was super good IMO. I've always wondered what would happen if the Death Note was dropped in today's world and this is pretty realistic. Also people saying the ending was stupid don't understand Ryuk's character, I feel he would have done the same.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the ending sucked but the rest was great. The MC's plan was actually pretty good lol.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Great one shot for the point of the ending.

Sucks that the MC dies though, but it further emphasizes the point that a person who does good gets screwed over, whilst another who values themself more just reaps the benefits.
Yeah, I liked this.
Trump gets to boost off of this while sending the US into further debt, but this kid dies cause he got a bunch of people money.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a fun read. Wouldn't mind if Ohba kept making one-shots like this more instead of trying to stretch a premise out unnecessarily.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent story until the stupid twist at the end, what a huge cop out.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Cute plan, but it'd absolutely completely fuck the shit out of Japan's economy.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Read it before.

I really liked it

- Kira's influence is so great in the short timespan of his dominance he is now in the history books and mainly people are taught not to follow him.
- Ryuk is still an apple lover.
- The main characters plan was actually really good.
- I assume Near is now L. Even as L is he still pretty bad as the role.
- L (Near) creates a 3d rendition of Ryuk then destroys it, like why?
- New rule introduced was pretty fun.
- Trump purchasing the book was, very political.
- I feel that many people don't unstand why the main character died. He died because he bored Ryuk not because of the new rule. Basically in a world of people who all have aims, the ones who have the most malicious and devasting entertains Ryuk. the MC didn't, so he timed his death to when he could acquire the money.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Read it before.

I really liked it

- Kira's influence is so great in the short timespan of his dominance he is now in the history books and mainly people are taught not to follow him.
- Ryuk is still an apple lover.
- The main characters plan was actually really good.
- I assume Near is now L. Even as L is he still pretty bad as the role.
- L (Near) creates a 3d rendition of Ryuk then destroys it, like why?
- New rule introduced was pretty fun.
- Trump purchasing the book was, very political.
- I feel that many people don't unstand why the main character died. He died because he bored Ryuk not because of the new rule. Basically in a world of people who all have aims, the ones who have the most malicious and devasting entertains Ryuk. the MC didn't, so he timed his death to when he could acquire the money.

Like, I don't get people mad at the ending, did they not read/watch the original series? Ryuk would have done that anyway...