RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't take priority. A shinigami will write the name of that person and they will die in 3 days, ignoring the other death note with the death planned 2 weeks later.
The first instance of writing someone's name in a Death Note takes priority. In the live-action movie, L writes his own name and gives himself the maximum 23 days, then tricks Kira into writing L's name and doing his supervillain confession as L is apparently dying, but L survives because his entry takes priority.

Meanwhile Death Notes obviously can cut people's lives short, despite their "fixed" expiration date. Seems totally fine for it to override that date the other way, especially with a limited window (so no immortality, just an extra couple weeks).

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The first instance of writing someone's name in a Death Note takes priority. In the live-action movie, L writes his own name and gives himself the maximum 23 days, then tricks Kira into writing L's name and doing his supervillain confession as L is apparently dying, but L survives because his entry takes priority.

Meanwhile Death Notes obviously can cut people's lives short, despite their "fixed" expiration date. Seems totally fine for it to override that date the other way, especially with a limited window (so no immortality, just an extra couple weeks).
Wow, this is actually very cool and in many ways a better ending than the act 2 of the manga/anime

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is actually very cool and in many ways a better ending than the act 2 of the manga/anime

Totally. I'm not sure why instead he didn't just write his own name incorrectly spelt 4 times or whatever to make him immune, though.

Also, new chapter was neat. Interesting take on receiving a Death Note. Ending was sort of dumb, though.
Was some real playing a game with a little kid and them changing the rules after you win shit.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed it, but my only issue is with the new rule; Wouldn't it not apply to Minoru since he technically already got the money(in his account) after the new rule was made, or would it just apply retroactively?

Other than that, I really liked it, Minoru's plan was amazing and I love how much of a cowardly piece of shit he (accurately) portrayed a certain president to be. Sucks that Minoru had to die though, especially after benefiting so many people in a relatively peaceful way (Even more so since no one has the Death Note now)
I was wondering this too, but I guess we know the answer based on the result.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Totally. I'm not sure why instead he didn't just write his own name incorrectly spelt 4 times or whatever to make him immune, though.

Also, new chapter was neat. Interesting take on receiving a Death Note. Ending was sort of dumb, though.
Was some real playing a game with a little kid and them changing the rules after you win shit.
If you intentionally misspell a name 4 times you die.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
w58w07G.png

I'm fucking dying

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
It would have been cool if they left the
Shingami King's involvement ambiguous, so that when Ryuk met Trump we wouldn't know if he was telling the truth about the new rule or not.

That would have added an extra layer of "is ryuk just a really bored asshole?"

Another scenario I think would be good to work with:
In reality it was the protagonist who added the fake rule as Light did in the original series, so he and a lot of people got the money and knew that Trump would value his life more than having the DN.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've re-read the one-shot again and I still don't believe the rule kicked in.

It really depends on how we view the previous rules and a person viewpoint of this rule;
  • The previous rules are all seperate from one another. There are a lot of rules regarding Ownership and Eye ball trading that aren't apart of the same rule.
  • This new rule appears to be a two part agreement of the buyer and seller.
  • We do not know if a death god is needed to kill both parties or it happens automatically.
  • If we follow this rule both Trump and Minoru should be dead.
  • Currently the transaction is void as Trump didn't accept the death note, but he didn't relingish ownership of the book.
  • At the end Ryuk has both death notes; his and Minoru's meaning he didn't find anyone else to give it to.
So following those Minoru should still alive to accept the money.

Ultimately, you are also correct. The rule could just kill someone for selling it even if the buyer doesn't live to get the book.

You're applying your own rules for trading to the situation. It doesn't say anything about nullifying the transaction. The transaction was already completed, which means that the triggers are the accepting of the book and the accepting of the money, as it states.

Only one party triggers their death. Ryuk explains the "out", but the out does not retroactively erase the trigger for both parties.

I think people might be trying to apply something to Ryuk that doesn't exist, and was unfortunately also misinterpreted in the American movie. He is not inherently evil. It's a series that examines the morality of human beings, not death gods.

If anything, the writer has characterized the Shinigami to lean towards empathy. In DN, he had TWO different Shinigami sacrifice themselves for one human.

Last edited:

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I really liked it!

I'm surprised how many think what Minoru did was ethically right. I mean, he did think of a clever way to avoid using the DN and still benefit from it....but he's starting a dangerous chain there by selling it to a country who would actually use it and he was okay with that.

This one shot makes me miss Death Note. ;; I'm reminded how much I enjoy the interpretation of Gods of Death here. Ryuk's motivations and actions always seem like an interesting contrast to humanity.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was really good up until the end. The rule add on just feels wishy washy. It's the first thing Ryuk says to the buyer and gives them an option of not taking posetion, but he doesn't say anything after the rule is instated to Minoru? If he did neither it'd be more acceptable, but it seems weird to tell one but not the other.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was really good up until the end. The rule add on just feels wishy washy. It's the first thing Ryuk says to the buyer and gives them an option of not taking posetion, but he doesn't say anything after the rule is instated to Minoru? If he did neither it'd be more acceptable, but it seems weird to tell one but not the other.
He tells you why doesn't go back to warn Minoru, he wants to keep his promise that he'll never show his face to Minoru again. Minoru inadvertently screwed himself, otherwise Ryuk might have given him a heads up, so he could maybe get more apples and have more fun.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
That's cause minoru told ryuk to never come back to him for any reason.

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
I enjoyed it, but my only issue is with the new rule; Wouldn't it not apply to Minoru since he technically already got the money(in his account) after the new rule was made, or would it just apply retroactively?

Other than that, I really liked it, Minoru's plan was amazing and I love how much of a cowardly piece of shit he (accurately) portrayed a certain president to be. Sucks that Minoru had to die though, especially after benefiting so many people in a relatively peaceful way (Even more so since no one has the Death Note now)
It was clear. It was when he actually took the money out and not simply received it in his bank account.
If Ryuk didn't follow the rule he would be punished or killed. And he actually seemed to like A-Kira instead of Light. In the original translation it went "such a pity, your plan was flawless."
what amazes me is they made Trump seem like a shrewd politician while making sure they didn't forget how much of a cowardly narcissist he is.
I really liked this series and I forgot how much I missed it. It was good.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
He tells you why doesn't go back to warn Minoru, he wants to keep his promise that he'll never show his face to Minoru again. Minoru inadvertently screwed himself, otherwise Ryuk might have given him a heads up, so he could maybe get more apples and have more fun.
That's cause minoru told ryuk to never come back to him for any reason.

But Ryuk gets summoned to the king to be made aware of the rule change, then goes and retrieves the note from Minaru. He could have said it in that exchange. He didn't find out about the rule after he saw the note for himself, he was called to the shinigami king and told about it.

If it happened in between him giving up the note and then him delivering it it would make sense this way but the way it's portrayed it doesn't really make much sense. Ryuk is fine not telling Minoru about the rule change when taking it, but he tells the president before handing it over?

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why so many people shit on the ending. I thought it was pretty good and fitting for a Death Note story.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The ending hit the right notes for me, in that
essentially, the Death Gods seem relatively innocuous with only sinister undertones for a vast majority of the series, but at critical moments are revealed to be exactly as frightening as they appear, with no regard for morality, no regard for humans, and a devilish attitude towards entertainment. Changing the rules at the last minute to such an unfair degree is right up their alley and fits in with their nihilistic and chaotic portrayal throughout the series.

That was my take.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
But Ryuk gets summoned to the king to be made aware of the rule change, then goes and retrieves the note from Minaru. He could have said it in that exchange. He didn't find out about the rule after he saw the note for himself, he was called to the shinigami king and told about it.

If it happened in between him giving up the note and then him delivering it it would make sense this way but the way it's portrayed it doesn't really make much sense. Ryuk is fine not telling Minoru about the rule change when taking it, but he tells the president before handing it over?
He goes to the king after Minoru gives up the book and before he reaches Trump. Remember they established Ryuk can't stay too far or go back to the Shinigami world as long as he's attached to his human. The other god tells Ryuk to go back to the king as soon as he's able to leave the side of his human, i.e, when Minoru gives up the book.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
He goes to the king after Minoru gives up the book and before he reaches Trump. Remember they established Ryuk can't stay too far or go back to the Shinigami world as long as he's attached to his human. The other god tells Ryuk to go back to the king as soon as he's able to leave the side of his human, i.e, when Minoru gives up the book.

I just went back and read. You're right. I think it fails in really highlighting this by putting that multiple scenes before and then going straight from one handing over to the other.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
You're applying your own rules for trading to the situation. It doesn't say anything about nullifying the transaction. The transaction was already completed, which means that the triggers are the accepting of the book and the accepting of the money, as it states.

Only one party triggers their death. Ryuk explains the "out", but the out does not retroactively erase the trigger for both parties.

I think people might be trying to apply something to Ryuk that doesn't exist, and was unfortunately also misinterpreted in the American movie. He is not inherently evil. It's a series that examines the morality of human beings, not death gods.

If anything, the writer has characterized the Shinigami to lean towards empathy. In DN, he had TWO different Shinigami sacrifice themselves for one human.

All I will say the following regarding our comment is this new rule was put in place after the agreement of the deal was done, Shinigami or not, the Death God himself went and changed the rules. The rule was then retroactively enforced.

Its been a while since I read all the rules of the book, but if i remember correctly there is no rules which have two conditions that need to be met

I accept the point of view you are presenting but you are also doing the same as you described of me, by applying your own rules. As this is a one shot there is no follow up information which is why I accept both points of view, as both are right and wrong.

I don't really want to keep discussing my point of view as discussions like this go the same way.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I absolutely ADORED this one shot and I really like Minoru a lot as a character too. The complaints about the ending before I read it had me worried, but I still enjoyed it a lot overall. Absolutely hated that ending tho. For such a short story it was almost perfect beginning to end. If it's adapted I hope they don't cop out at the end like that, felt so cheap

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, but feels about as smartly written as the original.

In no reality would anyone believe the current US President would purchase the Death Note and then not use it.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was fucking great. I'd love more one shots like this... maybe interspersed by longer arcs, a la Sandman.

The ending sending people for a loop due to ambiguous and arguably weak writing is also hilariously Death Note.

Was 'L' here just Near with longer hair? On that note do we know Near's gender?

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
This was fucking great. I'd love more one shots like this... maybe interspersed by longer arcs, a la Sandman.

The ending sending people for a loop due to ambiguous and arguably weak writing is also hilariously Death Note.

Was 'L' here just Near with longer hair? On that note do we know Near's gender?

Yeah it was just an older Near. And Near is a man, as Mello refers to Near as 'him' or 'he' many times

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
So fanfictioning it up but maybe the Shinigami King created the rule because human lifespans were about to get way too wacky because of selling Death Notes. Like through the action of passing around a Death Note millions of people became millionaires which HAS to change their lifespan because as we all know wealth does that. We know Kira changed the world, no more wars yadda yadda but we don't know how that influenced life spans around the world. Imagine if for a cash injection the US started selling pages or even pieces of the Death Note for trillions of dollars. The wealth of entire nation's getting traded around would probably shake up lifespans a little too much so he made this new rule. I'm probably trying way too hard to make sense of it but it's also kinda fun to think about so that's what I got.