Will you play Death Stranding Director's Cut?

• I have played the original release and will play the Director's Cut

Votes: 533 55.7%
  • I have played the original release, but I am not interested in the Director's Cut

Votes: 143 14.9%
  • I have not played the original release but I will play the Director's Cut

Votes: 190 19.9%
  • I have not played the original release and will not play the Director's Cut

Votes: 91 9.5%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
eaf5dz93kqx31.jpg

I just remembered this morning that Death Stranding is coming out on PS5 this week on Thursday. Seconds later I remembered that the Director's Cut allows players to build roads in the mountain area and HYYYYYPPPPE.

The story was bad, and some of the stealth stuff could get annoying, but everything else about that game was just outstanding. The feel of the traversal and the satisfaction of building infrastructure around the game world are two things that set this game apart from others. It's unparalleled. And now, with the PS5 version, I get to replay this game with the DualSense, which I am sure will make the game feel even better.

I know other games are coming out, and I am currently enjoying my time with FIST, but hot damn, I will have to stop everything to replay Death Stranding lol.

Who's with me?

EDIT: for those asking, the 10$ upgrade will be available on release day, and not before.

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I've barely had a free moment to play Deathloop since it came out, and won't until this weekend. So that takes priority but after that yes I will be checking out the Death Stranding Director's Cut.

My main question is whether the new gadgets and upgrades mess with the progression curve which seemed pretty smooth before.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you! Been anxiously waiting since they announced it. Really can't wait to start with walking with all those dual sense features. I hope Spotify works this time lol.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Was playing the PS4 version on my PS5 and stopped when rumors of a PS5 version started to pop up. I believe I just finished Chapter 4, after about 25 hours. It's been so long since I've played this. I'm wondering if I should go to YouTube and try to catch up on story bits there or start a new game.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Will have to see. I liked the game but I was kinda done with it once I beat it. If the new missions are enticing then maybe.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I have the plat already, I'm excited to go back to that world for a lil while. Looking forward to the Dualsense implementation as well hearing the new songs that was added

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I'm looking forward to hearing dualsense impressions. That's what might get me back into the game

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Thought you said you're excited to return it lol.

I still haven't finished my first playthrough, maybe I should get back to it. Can't remember where I stopped lol. I think I'm somewhere in central region

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off the original after 8 hours or so. Definitely planning to return and complete it.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Played original release, got the plat and sold my copy. Thought it was good experimental game that i won't ever replay.
It's cool to see a lot of people excited btw, Kojima is going to eat.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I have about 120 hours in the original I think and I'm planning to get the DC and start a fresh new game when I do. One of my games of the gen and I loved just being in that world and its atmosphere so I had no issue with just delivering packages for hours and hours lol.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I dropped this game hard on PS4, the whole carrying packages aspect just became so annoying and I couldn't figure out how to unequip some item in that damn menu system.

I really wish I made it to the parts that are apparently not just walking from point A to B

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I loved the original game. But

A) I don't have a PS5

B) The new main game content seems a bit to undermine the game design? I don't understand why they'd add basically cheat code type stuff to make deliveries easier. Seems to be pointless. The game is about sloggy deliveries

C) Totally uninterested in action/stealth missions which seems to be the bulk of the extra missions. That's just a different game

D) I usually wait 5-10 years before I replay a long game like this

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting the Director's Cut; problem is that Lost Judgment is out soon, too, so no telling how much I'll actually be playing it on release.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I bought the normal release of the game physical, and was considering it at $20 on PSN a while back, but worried I wouldn't get upgraded at all if/when they released a PS5 version. Now that it's coming out, I really want it, but not at $50. I'll get it when it goes on sale sometime later this fall.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I wasn't planning on it, but I didn't realize it was just a $10 upgrade to PS5, so maybe I'll pick it back up again after all.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've played (some of) the original version and had no plans to pick up this release, but this thread prompted me to see if there's an upgrade available, and since it's only $10… yeah, I'm in lol. Always meant to go back and play more of the game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Oh shit, I didn't realize it's a $10 upgrade. This is to go from the base PS4 version to PS5 Director's Cut?? I have the PS4 physical release. I was prepared to drop full price on this, I like it that much

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to screw around with my end-level Porter's world some more, but I'd also love to revisit the story with a next-gen coat of paint. I can't wait!

$10 upgrade makes this an absolute no-brainer.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I only scratched the surface of the original release of Death Stranding before putting it down because of other games, but I'm really excited to get back to it via the Director's Cut.

May 17, 2018
Yeah, I'm psyched to come back to this one with all the updates. Haven't played since launch, but it's one of the few games that stuck with me from last gen.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, I didn't realize it's a $10 upgrade. This is to go from the base PS4 version to PS5 Director's Cut?? I have the PS4 physical release.
Yup. The PlayStation Blog article says that even if you only own the base version on PS4, it's only $10 to upgrade to the deluxe edition of the director's cut.

blog.playstation.com

Death Stranding Director’s Cut launches on PS5 September 24, 2021

Details on PS5 features, cross-save and upgrade paths for PS4 players.

I was surprised. I expected like $20 or $30.

Dec 6, 2017
US

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Poll misses an option for 'have played DS, am interested in the DC but will not be playing it right away.'

Oh shit, I didn't realize it's a $10 upgrade. This is to go from the base PS4 version to PS5 Director's Cut?? I have the PS4 physical release. I was prepared to drop full price on this, I like it that much

Scratch that, looks like I'll be playing it right away lol.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm tempted to return to it, if it's just a $10 upgrade. It was a nice game to get lost in while I was rebuilding the world infrastructure and transit...

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I sold my PS4 copy so I missed out on the cheap upgrade, otherwise I probably would since I really enjoyed my time with it. I'll probably pick it up at some point down the line after a few price drops.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I was gonna wait because I thought it was full price, but now that I see it's $10, I will buy it. I got like 5 hours into the game on PS4 and fell off, even though I enjoyed what I played.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
The original game would keep A LOT of saves, and they weren't small either.

I wonder if they changed the save system to maybe write to the SSD a little less, or compress them?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not interested. It was the worst Kojima game and one of the worst games I've ever spend time and money on.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I never completed the game (got about 10 hours in and then life happened). I love that my progress transfers over and I love that the upgrade is only $10. I can't wait to continue through the game.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Legit been looking for a PS5 everywhere just for this game. Sense my Death Stranding PS4 disc doesn't copy anymore to my PS4Pro 😢

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Loved this on PS4 playing it 2 years ago, will definitely be getting the upgrade but might wait to replay it.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, for whatever reason I assumed it was a full price game so I was already braced to spend on two $90 games this week. Sweet.

It was perfect timing for me - Death Stranding had a lot of issues (mostly related to Kojima being Kojima) but it was such a great game I had been thinking about playing it again a few months ago literally days before they announced the DC. And it's released the day before my birthday, which had to be deliberate on their part ;)

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
My question is does the upgrade also include transferring a save from PS4 as well...and how seamless that's going to be compared to some other games. Despite enjoying the story of the game, I'm actually more interested in just picking up in a finished world and working on infrastructure for new players.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I told myself I'd wait for the Director's Cut to come out on PC but realistically I'll upgrade on PS5 day 1, can never get enough of Death Stranding

cableboy

Jul 15, 2019
Really curious about the additional story content and areas in this. I don't have a PS5 but I'll pick this up day one when it comes to PC (or on PS5 if I find one before that). The DualSense also seems amazing for DS, PS5 owners are lucky.