Will you play Death Stranding Director's Cut?

• I have played the original release and will play the Director's Cut

Votes: 533 55.7%
  • I have played the original release, but I am not interested in the Director's Cut

Votes: 143 14.9%
  • I have not played the original release but I will play the Director's Cut

Votes: 190 19.9%
  • I have not played the original release and will not play the Director's Cut

Votes: 91 9.5%

• Total voters

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the PS4 (disc) when the directors cut was announced
Do I need to install the PS4 version from the disc then go to the store and buy the upgrade on Friday ??

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I played and enjoyed Death Stranding, but I won't be playing the DC because there's just too much on my backlog and this isn't exactly a 20 hours game, especially with the new stuff, so it's not because of lack of interest, but lack of time :(
Great for those who'll be playing for the first time, it'll be an amazing experience.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
y01N2hX.png

QQMaxwP.png

Bought the PS4 (disc) when the directors cut was announced
Do I need to install the PS4 version from the disc then go to the store and buy the upgrade on Friday ??

No.

Just keep the disc in the drive, and then select the (...) on the menu and it'll take you to the store so you can buy the upgrade and then download the PS5 version.

There's not been anything about graphical updates, has there? Are Director's Cut games just going to end up looking the same as they did on Pro?

There's an option for 2160p native (not checkerboard) at 30fps. 60fps is 2160 checkerboard like on PS4 Pro, but we don't know if they cranked up some of the other settings to make it look closer to the PC version.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
yep i'm hyped to give it another go. only made it a few hours through the first time

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I will play the Director's Cut someday since I loved my time with the original. Hopefully on PC though.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I'll be upgrading it day one but I won't be able to play unless it goes up Thursday night as I leave town for vacation the next day. Got 50/63 of the trophies and it would be nice to try and platinum.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be excited for more Death Stranding, but I'm not replaying just for a few extra gadgets.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Kena, its a good week for me.

Having games I'm still in the middle of playing has worked out for me:

GoT, this, Uncharted PS5 version next year... even Horizon Zero Dawn with the 60fps patch, same for Days Gone.

Having a backlog has paid off, lol.

When I learned the new consoles had NVMe's playing Death Stranding became more n more irritating with loading. I hope that improves alot.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
y01N2hX.png

QQMaxwP.png

No.

Just keep the disc in the drive, and then select the (...) on the menu and it'll take you to the store so you can buy the upgrade and then download the PS5 version.

There's an option for 2160p native (not checkerboard) at 30fps. 60fps is 2160 checkerboard like on PS4 Pro, but we don't know if they cranked up some of the other settings to make it look closer to the PC version.
Brilliant, thanks

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I loved the original game. But

B) The new main game content seems a bit to undermine the game design? I don't understand why they'd add basically cheat code type stuff to make deliveries easier. Seems to be pointless. The game is about sloggy deliveries

C) Totally uninterested in action/stealth missions which seems to be the bulk of the extra missions. That's just a different game

This is not really true; you can play it your own style. The game already has bots to deliver stuff for you and vehicles you can cram with things. Sure, you have to overcome certain environments at first but then once you've "bested" them you can do stuff like roads, ziplines, teleporting, etc.

As for the action/stealth? Yeah, I did a bunch of that too. Maybe you didn't, but I absolutely snuck into camps to steal stuff and other times just tore into a base and began kicking, punching, throwing junk at and shooting enemies with non-lethal weapons :)

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I bought Death Stranding at its PS4 launch and enjoyed what I played (roughly the first 15 hours), but I ultimately kinda let go of it during my annual fall/winter game impulse buy spree and never returned. When the PS5 was unveiled, it instantly became one of my ongoing biggest hopes for a PS5 update, and the Director's Cut delivers that and then some, so I'll be grabbing it and I'm hoping to stick through it the whole way this time around.

After getting my PS5 and playing Astro's Playroom, I've also very badly wanted really good Dual Sense feedback for this game's update, so I hope it delivers. I actually found the balancing and basic hiking mechanics to be pretty damn engaging to my brain and I hope to have that enhanced further by some really good tactile feedback. The earlier combat/dangerous encounter parts were my least favorite part of the game. I now know that you get far more offensive capability as the game goes on so I hope that rebalances my experience curve over the longer run in the Director's Cut.

I'll be starting from scratch to keep myself apprised of the world building and characters here. I know many are very critical of this game's storytelling and characterization in particular, but I'm still intrigued enough to try and engage with it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Keep in mind that if you have the PS4 version installed on an external HDD and you haven't played it in a while, you'll have to manually force the update to 1.13.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I think I'll only play it if:

A. There's some cool secret on it that everyone talks about when it releases.

B. There's some hints for a sequel.

C. There's an epilogue or something.

I'm talking "MCU credits scene" stuff here, nothing like a full Death Stranding 2 or even 1.5

I got the platinum last year, but I also feel like I got my fill of the game. I don't feel like I need to revisit this game world, if there's nothing new to it (new gadgets and new missions don't feel like they are building the world more). I enjoyed the game but I'm also very busy with other games. My gaming time is very limited with work and family, so I usually play 1 game over a month or three. Making any commitment to a game very long. Meaning, I spend months playing Death Stranding last year (I'd put about 10 hours during weekends only, and I got the platinum… maybe I played for 8 weeks?). And after feeling done, it's hard to go back. Currently want to finish Psychonauts 2, also want to Platinum Sekiro. I recently completed Dark Souls 3 (Platinum). So many games I've been unable to play and the backlog just keeps growing.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I played the heck out of the vanilla version. I double dipped on PC. I'm upgrading for sure. But it will be a while before I actually start a new run.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
If I could find a PS5 of course I'd be curious to get back into it. But as of right now I only have a ps4 and PC so that's a no unless the pc version gets it.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was there a New Game+ added or anything? I think I am going to restart on PS5, very much looking forward to it!

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Did a full playthrough on ps4 and PC and I'm so ready to do it all again on PS5. I love this game so much

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I put an hour or two into it at launch but it didn't grab me and lots of other priorities made me put it down.

I intend to get the upgrade and stick with it this time. My PS5 backlog should be empty by then and I can focus on it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I still have no idea what this game even is. It looks to be a game all about traversal, and since I'm a fan of BotW primarily due to that I think I'll like it here.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I loved it on PS4, but not sure if i will play it again. Maybe one day if a sequel is announced or something

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I played the original release but I didn't beat it, I only got to chapter 3. I'm really excited for the Director's Cut.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for impressions but I fell off pretty hard on ps4, I think it would be worth it to upgrade and try again.

Anybody know how the upgrade works? I don't see it as an option when I'm logged in on psn, do I do it through the PS4 version menu?

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I played the original and loved it. I currently have no plans to play the directors cut unless the vague extra story mission(s?) ends up being significant. None of the other stuff they've revealed for the directors cut is interesting enough for me to bother paying for it, but if the new story stuff is cool, then I might consider it. I generally don't like going back to 80 hour open world games anyway, so it needs to be a significant incentive.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure when I'll have the time to get back to it since Deathloop/Tales of Arise/Kena will be taking up all my gaming time for the forseeable future, but I am looking forward to revisiting the game. I hope the Dualsense features are worthwhile because that's the main thing that interests me with this Director's Cut. Always felt like that could be a gamechanger for the delivery mechanics if it's good enough to differentiate the types of terrain you're on or how much weight you have on your back.

Last edited:

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how long this game takes to beat if you skip all the extra stuff and just do the main plotline?

Debating whether I should replay the whole story or just do the DLC. Already Platinumed the game on my first go.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Quick question, I already have Death Stranding on PC but rather play on PS5. My Walmart has a few copies on clearance. I assume I can buy that and upgrade but will I need to keep using the PS4 copy in like I would expect? I really just don't want to have to deal with a physical copy.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, I already have Death Stranding on PC but rather play on PS5. My Walmart has a few copies on clearance. I assume I can buy that and upgrade but will I need to keep using the PS4 copy in like I would expect? I really just don't want to have to deal with a physical copy.
yes, you'll need the ps4 disc every time you play the ps5 version.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how long this game takes to beat if you skip all the extra stuff and just do the main plotline?

Debating whether I should replay the whole story or just do the DLC. Already Platinumed the game on my first go.

It's somewhere around 35-40 hours if you're only doing the main story. Though since you've platinumed the game I'd say you could probably shave off a good chunk of time too since you'll know what to do.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Played the original at launch, sold it after I finished it, bought the PC version later and bought the PS4 version a few weeks ago to upgrade to the DC. Wish I could already pre-load the upgrade. Is it going to be online at midnight or throughout the day (CET)?

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got physical but I don't see an option to upgrade anywhere on PSN. Is it the same case as the FF7R dlc where I need to wait until the actual release day to see the option?

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I am stoked to return. I did not finish the original despite pouring 90 hours into it, and will be starting over and, once again, taking my sweet time. I could just chill and deliver packages forever. What a game.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Unfortunately I don't know if I'll return, I loved the game in my first 120+h playthrough but since then everytime I return to platinum it I end up really bored.

Dec 2, 2020
I enjoyed the first few hours until I came across a group of enemies and was killed despite there not being (as far as I knew) a combat tutorial. I bounced after that.

I'm very temped by the directors cut mainly because the trailers make it look like a big improvement combat wise.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
Did they say anything about when we can purchase the upgrade if we own the ps4 disc version?
I guess we'll have to redownload the ps5 game and it would be nice if we could preload it.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Director's Cut allows players to build roads in the mountain area

Wut? It was my favourite area in the game because you couldn't. I love periously placing zip-lines on mountain peaks. Will be interesting to see how this pans out, aren't they already adding tons of powerful transport methods?

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Had a great time with the original but got my fill and played nearly 100 hours of it. I won't be getting the DC, certainly not for full price.

I'll probably wait for the sequel tbh.

Tournedos

Mar 19, 2019
France
I received a physical copy as a gift a few months ago, only played the first hours then the rumors of a PS5 edition started.

So yes for 10EUR total, it is definitely something I want to experience but not day 1... More interesting games are coming out right now.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I've got physical but I don't see an option to upgrade anywhere on PSN. Is it the same case as the FF7R dlc where I need to wait until the actual release day to see the option?
Did they say anything about when we can purchase the upgrade if we own the ps4 disc version?
I guess we'll have to redownload the ps5 game and it would be nice if we could preload it.
Probably the same thing as FF7R. Available on release day and you'll have to download the PS5 version.

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
I got the PS4 game in a black Friday sale and have only played 2 or 3 hours of it. I will definitely buy the upgrade when I have time to play it.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played the hell out of the original and I'm definitely going to buy the director's cut, but I don't know if/when I'll play it. I really enjoyed it when I needed a slow, meditative game, but that's not really where my life is right now.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just play the new story content before moving to Lost Judgment since both these come out on the same day.

I wonder if my game's zip lines are still around.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
my personal favorite kojipro game gets a subsistence-style rerelease? i'm there every time.